Iced Americano

cliché
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“One Iced Americano, please.” A customer said as I follow up and write her order on this cafe plastic cup. When will we stop using plastics? That I do not know.

And without looking at her I asked for a name like how it is usually done, “And your name for the cup?”

“Park Chorong.” She answered. For years of working in this cafe, this is the first time that someone gave out their full name. And that’s ing adorable. Park Chorong, what a beautiful name.

“Is this to go or-” Beautiful name for such beautiful person. If I knew that she looks so damn good, I would’ve looked at her from the very beginning of our conversation. Wait. Is it even counted as a conversation when it’s simply just a barista-customer thing?

“No. It’s uhh- for here. I’m actually with my friends.” Chorong cut me off my shalala bringing me back to reality and at the same time gestured to where her friends’ table is at.

We finished the transaction, I punched the order and she payed. Simple as that. I once waved at her friends as I watch Chorong made her way to sit with them. Looking around the cafe you’ll see tons of typical group of people that goes to coffee houses. Friends that are catching up with each other’s whereabouts, students that are so invested in their papers, corporate people doing business meetings with their laptop on. All these different kinds of people to watch yet I can’t help but glance at their Chorong’s table, or rather stare at her (if I’m being honest here) the whole time that she and her friends are here.

Funny thing about me is that I never believed in what they call ‘love at first sight’ but my oh my, am I really experiencing it first hand right now? Am I actually attracted to this girl who bought coffee just 13 minutes ago? Seeing her smile and laugh so softly with her friends makes me want to date her. Okay, I’m seriously out of my mind. 

I continue to work behind the counter but didn’t fail to notice them leaving the cafe. “Come again.” I bid and I swear I heard Chorong said goodbye in the midst of her friends laughing about something I’ll never know.

“She didn’t say anything.” Namjoo, my co barista said teasing me that I’m just day dreaming about my new found crush.

 

The following days are wonderful, Chorong never misses a day to get her daily dose of coffee. But what’s different now is that she have it to go and not for here. Not that I’m complaining since I still get to see her everyday.

“Iced Americano?” I asked before she even had the chance to tell me what her drink is.

“That’s- uhh right. To go please.” Chorong smiled at me and I nod as I moved to make her order. Ever since she came back and bought another coffee, I made sure to make it myself. It’s not that I’m planning to put a spell on her coffee or some kind of witchcraft that’ll make her fall for me. I just wanted to do this for her, and by this way we also get to have short conversation during the coffee making process.

“You haven’t had your coffee for here. You’re that busy?” I asked as I’m really curious about this. I’m just glad that she responded to my question or else, I’d be offering to work behind the goddamn doors and never step out in the open ever again.

“I am. But not really. I just don’t like the idea of sitting in a cafe alone.” She confessed, I understand it really. There are a lot of people I know who’s not comfortable having meals outside alone. But that’s meal and this is coffee. Coffee houses are made for both group and solo.  Alright fine, I don’t get her. 

“Bomi?”

“Hmm? What?”

“Nothing. I just thought that you needed something to pull you back here when your mind is out there.” Chorong said, but wait she called me by my name? How?

“How?”

“What do you mean how?” She looks at me weirdly, I’m making her uncomfortable. Kill me.

“How’d you know my name?” I asked, I know this will be silly but still I asked.

“Your name tag says ‘Bomi’ so I assumed-” I didn’t let her finish but rather laughed my self out loud. This is embarrassing, this is not how I imagined our conversation would be. 

I served her coffee and like the other days, she smiled before leaving the coffee house while I stay dumb dumb and looked at her until she’s out of sight.

“You’re so obsessed with her yet you can’t even do the simplest thing you could possibly do.” Namjoo once again had to tell me that I’m hopeless when it comes to dating.

“Tell me about those simple things.”

“For example, when you give her the drink you can try and get a hold of her hand.”

“Ohh that’s smooth, I’ll t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter