Session 5: The first real mess

TWICE plays Dungeons and Dragons

Jeongyeon rubbed her face as she pulled the drawstrings of her hood.

She did everything right in the past few living room sessions. She didn’t expect any sort of roleplay. She got these idiots to assist this hook of a dwarf through the forest. She was glad they didn’t take the bait into the goblin cave. They got to town safely, found the dumb mayor, got into the creepy mansion and wiped out the bandits. They finished a side quest she made up in another side of the town. They were up to level 3 now. And now they’re back for the goblin caves.

It was just a bunch of wolves, Jeongyeon thought to herself as she listens to Chaeyoung describe herself running into the cave ahead, only to set off the water trap. Chained to a stalagmite and now Chaeyoung is down to 5 hitpoints.

“Do I escape?!” Chaeyoung looked expectantly at the oldest girl. “Did I lose the wolves?!”

“Roll a perception check.”

“Oh no,” Tzuyu muttered, as she stared at the coin used to represent her paladin on the gridded sheet of paper. “First a natural 1 on a stealth check…”

“Natural 20!”

Mina yelled in excitement as she jumped at Chaeyoung’s roll.

“You keenly hear the sound of rushing water ahead of you,” Jeongyeon began to describe, her disappointment slowly turning into a sadistic smile. “You see droplets of water falling from a turn in the passage before the rest of wave began crashing through. You have a few seconds to get away from it.”

“FUUUUUUU-!” All the players screamed as they began panicking.

“Mina and Tzuyu.” Jeongyeon looked to them. “You have more time than Chaeyoung to react, however be aware that you’re wearing metal armor and this pretty much a rushing river heading straight to you.”

“Well at least the wolves will drown,” Tzuyu quipped.

“But we might too,” Mina reminded.

“UHHHH-” Chaeyoung clutched her hair to think. “I get Taco to climb the cavern wall!”

“I still can’t believe you named your rogue Taco,” Jeongyeon muttered. “Okay, roll an… acrobatics check…?”

Jeongyeon wasn’t sure, but Chaeyoung rolled it anyway and winced.

“Does a…” The little rapper couldn’t bring herself to say it, even after adding her relatively high Acrobatics modifier. “Does a 9 work?”

It was the Dungeon Master’s turn to wince.

“Just as you tried to jump on the wall,” Jeongyeon described. “You slipped your footing in fear and fell into the strong, rushing water. The wolves behind you are also swept within the large torrent, and you’re both helplessly swirling within the water. Mina, Tzuyu, I need you to roll Athletics checks.”
“Wait why?” Mina objected. “How come Chaeyoung gets to do an Acrobatics check?”
“It’s easier to check since she’s dexterity based,” the older member ruled. “Plus, I figured you guys would want an easier time to get out of this trap.”

Both girls quickly began rolling their twenty sided dice.

“You can also either get out of the way or try and withstand the wave since it’s getting lower,” Jeongyeon suggested. “But I’m going to raise the difficulty if you’re going to withstand it.”

“I run to the entrance,” Mina said as she kept rolling. “No way am I staying in a wolf wave.”

“I stay strong with my sword and shield out,” Tzuyu declared as she threw the dice. “It can’t be that bad.”

The room fell silent as the dice stopped with the number “2” facing upward.

“....”

“YES!”

Everyone looked over to see a clean 19 on Mina’s dice.

“The wave crashes into you, followed by a wolf hitting you in the face,” Jeongyeon narrated, biting her lip to keep her laughter. “You’re swept up in the rushing water into the cave entrance as you Chaeyoung collides into you. You managed to land out of the cave as the water thins out into the soil.”

She rolled a 4 sided dice several times behind her DM screen from the D&D Starter Kit, which is just one cardboard panel folded into three panels.

“Chaeyoung, Taco takes 2 damage. Tzuyu, you take 3.”

“Dammit…”

Chaeyoung grumbled as she changed her health changed from 5 to 2. Tzuyu changed her health silently, at least glad that her health was above half. Mina looked expectantly at the Dungeon Master for her fate.

“Mina, Zoru managed to sprint out of the cave and dive into a bush on the side,” Jeongyeon narrated. “You completely avoided the wave, taking no damage.”

“Yes!” Mina cheered. “I ran towards our rogue, Taco, to cast cure wounds.”

“It’s not your turn yet,” Jeongyeon quickly said. “The water may have killed most of the wolves because they were chained, but a couple of their leashes broke from the wave. There are…”

She took away some of the wolf coins and moved two of them a couple of squares away where Tzuyu and Chaeyoung were.

“Two of them, and they are currently prone.” Jeongyeon then moved one of the coins to the duo. “One of them moves to Tzuyu and tries to attack. With advantage since you’re still down from the wave.”

She rolled twice and laughed.

“Does an 18 break your AC?”

“...Yes.”

Tzuyu gave a seething glare at the Dungeon Master for meeting her armor class. Jeongyeon giggled as she rolled a few more times from behind her screen, the anticipation keeping the silence amongst the three players.

“And so the wolf manages to bite into your arm before you struggled away, and you take another 8 damage.”

Tzuyu gulped as she erased her above-half-health number to one that was below-half-health.

“I’m freaking bloodied…”

“Okay, Mina now you can go,” Jeongyeon said. “You said you were going to heal Chaeyoung?”

“Yep,” Mina affirmed as she rolled her 8 sided dice. “Chaeyoung, you get 8 health back.”

“Oh my god, yes!” Chaeyoung wrote her new health and clapped. “Alright, I think it’s my turn.”

“That it is.”

“Then I stand up and move over to the wolf and stab it with my rapier!” Chaeyoung moved her coin over and began rolling her dice. “And since I’m right next to Tzuyu, I get advantage on my attack which I means I roll twice, and get my sneak attack!”

The smallest member rolled her twenty-sided dice twice, both times rolling over a 17. She whooped and clapped excitedly, with Mina jumping along and Tzuyu forming a smile. The rapper rolled her eight-sided dice once, then her six-sided dice twice because of her sneak attack.

“I deal 11 damage with the one jumping strike to the wolf’s heart!”

“The wolf takes it,” Jeongyeon narrates it as she scribbled something on her notepad. “It whimpers before going quiet… Dead.”

Everyone screamed, standing up to do a celebratory dance.

“But wait, there’s one more!” Jeongyeon points to the youngest member. “Tzuyu, go!”

“Okay then, I stand up!” Chaeyoung’s kill had excited her. “Lumber forward and hit the wolf!”

Tzuyu rolled, and fist pumped when she rolled a 19.

“I know that hits!”

“It does,” Jeongyeon smiled. “Now roll for damage.”

“I also smite it, with ‘Wrathful Smite’.” Tzuyu rolled her eight-sided dice, then, like Chaeyoung, rolled her six-sided dice twice. “I rolled a 6 twice! And deal 17 damage!”

“Alright,” Jeongyeon confirmed with a grin. “How do you want to do this?”

Everyone jumped into a big, “YEAH!!!”, with Mina hugging Chaeyoung as they looked to the tall girl.

“My sword glows as I dashed and slashed through the wolf,” Tzuyu described. “And just as the light fades from my sword while I sheathe it, the wolf cries out and falls flat.”

“Epic!” Chaeyoung exclaimed. “Okay, now I want to make a paladin!”

“Too late for that,” Tzuyu said while sticking out her tongue. “You got your sneak attack anyways!”

“Whatever!” Chaeyoung stuck her tongue out at Tzuyu. “You’re still jealous I chose a rogue before you did!”

“And that’s the end of the session, Jeongyeon said as she glanced to the “11:00” shining on her phone. “We’ll pick up next time. Next week?”

“Yep,” Mina said as she picked up her dice. “That could work.”

“I’m down,” Chaeyoung agreed as she reached over Mina’s arms for her own dice. “We’re getting close to the end!”

Tzuyu merely nodded as she placed her dice in their rectangular case.

“Alright, we’ll finish the goblin caves then,” Jeongyeon wrapped up. “Don’t worry guys, you’re almost halfway there.”

“It’s fine,” Mina said as she went back to her room. “We’re having fun.”

“Just let us kick more , and we’re good,” Chaeyoung claimed cockily as she opened the door to the maknae room. Tzuyu nodded again and joined her.

“Alright then, good night!”

“G’night!” And with that they closed their doors at the same time.

“Oh, there will be more to kick,” Jeongyeon muttered to herself as she read the campaign book again on her way to her room. “Plenty more…”