Session 6: A new player

TWICE plays Dungeons and Dragons

“What do you mean you’re not going to help me?!”

Nayeon shrugged, leaning back onto her bed frame.

“It’s way too nerdy for me,” the older member explained. “I don’t do, ‘nerdy’.”

“Come on, it’ll be fun!”

Nayeon narrowed her eyes at Jeongyeon, her lips slowly curling into a pout.

“And what will I get in return, huh?”

Jeongyeon cursed under her breath.

“You can…” The girl sighed, slumping her shoulders. “Give me a kiss on the cheek…”

Nayeon’s eyes widened, her back straightening. A smirk formed, and an eyebrow was raised. Jeongyeon squeezed her eyes shut and cursed again, her hands balling into fists as she felt the dread in her gut.

“Oh,” Nayeon cooed. “How often?”
“Five times a week.”

“How about once a day?”

Jeongyeon can feel her ears steaming.

“Or else your little, nerdy plan won’t-”

“6 times a week,” Jeongyeon blurted. “And you can cash in on those all at once.”

“Plus I get to hug you once a day, for up to 5 minutes.” Nayeon winked. “And you can’t resist.”

“Okay, fine!” Jeongyeon threw her hand out. “Deal!”

“Deal,” Nayeon took Jeongyeon’s hand and gave it a deep kiss. “Merci beaucoup.”

Jeongyeon pulled her hand back and stared at it in disgust before dragging herself away from this horrid witch’s room.

But it was worth it…

 

Or so she thought.

“Oh, help me, fair heroes!” Nayeon leaned back with a hand gently resting over her forehead. “The goblins have taken me and are going to do unspeakable things to me and my money.”

Chaeyoung gritted her teeth through the horrible acting, but perked up at the emphasized sound of money. 

“Let’s rescue her!” The rogue player grabbed her twenty-sided dice and began rolling it in her hand. “Besides, we might be able to get more money from the dwarf!”

“Does it matter the condition her body arrives in?” Tzuyu flatly asked with a raised hand. “Does she even need to be alive?”

“Yes, rescue me,” Nayeon drawled angrily, glaring at Tzuyu. “I am very pretty and important and please don’t kill me, heroes!”

“That’s not a good thing to do, Tzuyu.” Mina quickly lowered the youngest member’s hand. “However, we do need the money for the church and for our equipment.” 

“Alright, are we going in loud or sneaky?” Chaeyoung squeezed the dice in her hand. “Though, judging from the map, it doesn’t seem like we can sneak through…”

At least ten goblins littered the cavern with one bigger, furrier goblin standing on top of a snaking rise in the rocky terrain. There, Nayeon’s character (represented with a gold ring) stood behind the big bad, with another entrance behind her. The three protagonists had their characters stand in the opposite cave entrance.

“Wait, Chaeyoung, aren’t you an assassin?” Tzuyu swiped the older member’s character sheet. “Yeah, you have a bow too, so we should be able to do this sneaky-like.”

The light bulb flashed in all of their heads.

“They don’t see us, right?” Chaeyoung asked Jeongyeon. “I can get surprise, right?!”

“Uh…” The Dungeon Master quickly consulted her books but dropped them quickly. “Yeah, this counts as a surprise att-”

“Attack Sildar,” Tzuyu suggested, pointing at the gold ring. “We can hopefully not kill her and drag her body out-”

“She’ll deal too much damage!” Nayeon chastised. “I’ll die!”
“That’s a risk we’ll have to- Ow!”

Mina had bopped Tzuyu’s head.

“Shoot the big bad one,” Mina ordered. “We can take care of the other, smaller goblins.”

“Do I have a clear shot to the big one?” The rogue asked Jeongyeon. “I aim my bow to see if I can go for a headshot.”

“Ah…” Jeongyeon saw the lack of small goblins between Chaeyoung’s character and the big bad for the fight. “F- yeah you can go for it.”

“Alright, I shoot him with my bow!” Chaeyoung grabbed her sheet back from Tzuyu to quickly look at her abilities. “With advantage!”

Before Jeongyeon could say anything, the small member threw her dice a bit too vigorously, accidentally hitting Nayeon’s arm with it, even though she was across the table. The oldest member glared as she threw the dice back at Chaeyoung. The younger girls flinched as the dice landed on the table, with the bright, “17”, facing up. 

“Oh! Can I use that?!” Chaeyoung beamed to Jeongyeon. “Please?!”

“Technically that’s Nayeon’s roll,” Jeongyeon said. “Roll again, twice since you have advantage.”

Chaeyoung humphed before rolling again, landing on an, “18”. The small member grinned widely before rolling again, this time a “19”. Her grin widened, waiting expectantly for Jeongyeon to confirm her hit.

“It hits.” Before the Dungeon Master could finish, Chaeyoung had already grabbed her six-sided dice. “And since you’re an assassin, and he’s surprised, it counts as a critical sneak attack.”

Chaeyoung gasped and grabbed Mina’s six-sided before throwing them, managing to roll a “4” and a “5”. She rolled the two die again, rolling a “5” and a “2”. 

One last roll.

6.

“That’s like eighteen.” Chaeyoung added the numbers on her character sheet. “No, twenty-two, plus three, so twenty-five!”

“You nock an arrow,” Jeongyeon began. “You pulled on the string. You take aim for a brief moment before letting the arrow fly. Taco blinked and watched the big hobgoblin get pushed back by the sudden arrow in his chest, close to where his heart would be. He pulls it out and starts bleeding profusely from where the arrow was. He’s down to one knee.”

“That’s a lot of damage!” Mina yells as she hugged Chaeyoung. “He’s bloodied!”

“Everyone, roll initiative.”