Chapter 4: Truth

⫸Troubled Ⅰ⫷ MISLED

[Yena's POV]


"So.. Yuri. How was she?"

 

"Huh.. What?" I look to my side seeing my friend, Chaewon, sitting on the sofa next to me. Ah, right. I was in the hospital with Yuri when my mom called me, telling me to hurry up and get back home for the day. I had stubbornly argued with her to let me stay the night before as I didn't want to leave Yuri there. Though our talk was long, she eventually gave in, letting me stay.

 

Different from the previous night, however, I was actually looking for an excuse to head back home. The atmosphere between me and Yuri was more or less.. undesirable.

 

I'm not surprised though. I should've seen it coming from a mile away. I wasn't surprising but it still bothered me. Needing someone to talk to, I invited Chaewon over as I got home. We lived in the same apartment complex. I lived in the 7th floor while she lived just one floor below, the 6th.

 

"I was asking," Chaewon repeated herself, "How was she? Your message yesterday was pretty vague. We couldn't really get a hold of the situation."

 

"Don't remind me," I shook my head, "The group chat was a mess. I had to mute you guys."

 

"Well? How is she?" she asked again.

 

"She.. She still can't move around much," I answered, looking down, "Her bruises.. They weren't simple bruises. Jiyoung and her idiot minions didn't hold anything back. Yuri was struggling just sitting up. The doctor said it would be better to spend at least a week off for her to properly recover."

 

"That's.. That's just horrible," Chaewon, though she didn't see it herself, looked really affected by simply hearing about it.

 

"I couldn't say the details in the group chat because I couldn't tell Yujin and Wonyoung something like that," I sighed, "You saw their reactions to seeing what happened in Yuri's class. Those two got so worked up over it. Imagine if they learned about this."

 

"You will tell them eventually, right?" 

 

"Yeah.. I just think Yuri needs some peace right now."

 

Chaewon shifted a little, facing me, "How was it though? Being alone with her? She thought we were.. You know, bad people."

 

"I.. I guess she's at least acknowledged that I'm trying to help her. She was asking me for help whenever she needed something.." I paused, for a moment, taking a deep breath, "But she told me that she still didn't trust me.. or as she worded it, she still couldn't."

 

"Oh," Chaewon sounded dejected, as if it was told to her as well, "I see.. So I'm assuming she doesn't trust me either.. or Yujin.. or Wonyoung."

 

"She did tell me why," I bit my lip before I continued to speak, "She said she wanted to open up and that she really wanted to trust me.. but she keeps remembering all the times she was hurt.. and that stops her from trusting anybody."

 

"I remember.. what she said in the infirmary yesterday," Chaewon held my hand - she held it tightly, "That only people like Jiyoung approached her all her life.. that she was used for other people's convenience... The nurse seems to be used to seeing her too.. So it must happen often.. And it probably happened a lot in the past too.."

 

"I know," I held Chaewon's hand back, just as tightly as she held mine, "I.. I had a hunch since I first saw her."

 

"Now that I think about it," Ah, I slipped. I accidentally left a trail for Chaewon to follow, "How do you even know her? You introduced her to us practically out of nowhere."

 

Well, Chaewon is my best friend. I guess she deserves some answers.

 

"Ironically, I met her through Jiyoung." I started.

 

"...Seriously?"

 

"Seriously."

 

Chaewon gave me a look of disbelief. Honestly, if I heard about this for the first time, I'd probably have the same expression. I just so happen to know Yuri from the very person that made her school life hell, Yook Jiyoung.

 

"Anyways, I'm sure you're aware that Jiyoung follows me around sometimes."

 

"Sometimes? Oh, please. She's pretty much a repellent," Chaewon rolled her eyes, "Yujin and Wonyoung wouldn't dare approach you when she was around. I honestly just couldn't bother dealing with her."

 

It's always interesting to see Chaewon's attitude change whenever it was about Jiyoung. Even though she was usually a gentle angel, just hearing Jiyoung's name made her irritable.

 

"Okay, Okay. Back to the topic," I let go of her hand and cross my arms, "Jiyoung wouldn't care about anyone as soon as she was with me but for once, she actually chose to leave me alone on her own will."

 

"Let me guess, Yena. She saw Yuri."

 

"Ding, Ding, Ding," I clapped sarcastically, "Correct. One point to you."

 

"Ugh, I don't even have to know what she did after she left you," Chaewon's voice sounded as irritated as usual when it came to Jiyoung, "So you got curious because Jiyoung willingly left you for her?"

 

"Initially, yeah," I shrugged, "I mean, once she decides to stick with me, Jiyoung wouldn't leave me even if the principal threatened to expel her. Of course I'd get curious as to how someone managed to give me the freedom no person in school could give."

 

"Agreed. I'd have thrown Yuri a party if she got Jiyoung off me," Chaewon stopped, and then added, "But it wasn't something worth throwing a party over, was it?"

 

"Yeah... Jiyoung treated Yuri way differently from how she treated me. Of course, I hadn't seen Jiyoung doing anything as bad as the event from yesterday but I've seen her ordering Yuri around and verbally abusing her.. Treating her like an object.."

 

"Did you approach her?"

 

"I couldn't, Chaewon."

 

"Why not?"

 

"I'm sure you know this now but.. Yuri always has her guard up. She wouldn't look anyone in the eye for longer than a second," I shook my head, "Besides, she didn't even know me. I couldn't just walk up to her."

 

"Okay, but how did you end up eating lunch together?"

 

"...Well.. I walked up to her?"

 

"Oh, I see. Since you were a stranger and couldn't walk up to her.. You decided to walk up to her? Did that make sense in your head, Choi Yena?"

 

"...Okay.. That sounded really contradictory."

 

"Never mind that! What made you approach her in the first place?"

 

"...I.. Uh... Heard her sing..."

 

"...Choi Yena."

 

"I-I heard her sing."

 

"....."

 

"Chaewon?"

 

"You're telling me... that you couldn't approach her when she was being bullied.. but you approached her after hearing her sing?" Chaewon furrowed her brows, "Explain?"

 

"It isn't that simple," I shook my head vigorously, "It was already past dismissal. I had to do something for a teacher so I stayed behind. I just overheard her singing in the music room.. And.. I could really feel how hurt she was from her voice.. From the way her voice shook.. I could tell she was crying."

 

"Ah.. I.. I get it," she nodded slowly, "She was probably singing to get things out of her chest. So you decided to talk to her after hearing her sing?"

 

"W-Well.. I couldn't do it immediately."

 

"Choi Yena.." she shook her head, "Sometimes you're the boldest and most daring person I know but on moments like this, you're pretty timid."

 

"I'm not timid??? Also, stop using my full name!" I tried to defend myself, "I don't know okay. But I eventually got myself to talk to her and ask her to lunch.. But was that the right thing? Didn't Jiyoung become way worse because I started talking to Yuri?"

 

"Look, you didn't do anything wrong," Chaewon hit my shoulder softly, "You talked to her because you wanted to help her, right?"

 

I nodded. That was my intention. Hearing Yuri's voice, her beautiful.. pained.. shaking.. voice. I didn't know her deeply. Heck, I didn't know her at all.. But even then, I wanted to do something. I could feel something stirring in me when I heard her song.

 

"What's wrong with that?" Chaewon patted my shoulder, "You had all the good intentions. It's not like you wanted something bad to happen to her."

 

I only nodded along to what she said. Sure, I had good intentions but it doesn't change the fact that all of this happened because I intervened.

 

"Look, if you're still blaming yourself," She could see right through my silence, "Think about this. If you hadn't stepped in and lived separate lives as usual, Yuri would be stuck with Jiyoung for the rest of high school and even beyond for all you know. Do you think it would've been better for Yuri to stay with Jiyoung??"

 

"Of course not!" I immediately replied, "It wouldn't be good if she stayed this way all her life!"

 

"Exactly!" Chaewon hit my head.

 

"Ow!" My hands flew up to the place of impact, gently caressing it to ease the pain.

 

"Use your head sometimes," she shook her head, "Besides, Yuri acknowledged you, didn't she?"

 

"Huh..?" I tilted my head, "Kinda, I guess. She was letting me help her and stuff-"

 

"Oh god, Yena," she shot me a look of disappointment, "Not that part! I meant the part of wanting to trust you. She said she finds it difficult to but she wanted to trust you, didn't she? This means that even if she doesn't trust you fully, there's a part of her that's willing to try!"

 

"Ah.. I see," I felt the warmth rushing to my cheeks. Thinking about it that way, it kinda made sense.. I guess..

 

"You're so obvious," she laughed, "I get it now. This isn't just about being nice, huh?"

 

"What do you mean by that?!" I pushed her to the other side of the couch, my cheeks feeling warmer. What was she trying to imply?!

 

"I gotta hand it to Yuri," Chaewon smirked, "She did that to you without trying. She didn't even know you..."

 

"What are you talking about??" I took one of the cushions and threw it at her.

 

"You look like your having fun," My brother, Sungmin-oppa, entered the living room with a smile. 

 

I glared at Chaewon as she gave him her most innocent smile, saying, "Mhm~ Yena is always so amusing."

 

"What, what? What am I missing?" he had the largest grin on his face.

 

"Would you like to know, Oppa?" Chaewon smiled back.

 

"Yah! Kim Chaewon!" I got another cushion and charged at her, covering her face it it.

 

"Agh! I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Chaewon started to laugh.

 

A smile found its way on my face. Haaaah, I have to thank Chaewon when I get the chance. She's teasing me but I know it's her own way of cheering me up.

 

 

 

~ + ~

 

 

 

 

[The next day...]

 

 

 

 

[Yuri's POV]
 

Today was far more difficult for me than it had to be. Being shy and withdrawn with my non-existent self-esteem made the worst combo. I couldn't bring myself to call the nurse nor could I tell them if I needed anything whenever they'd occasionally check up on me.

 

Once a person was in front of me, I really couldn't get the words out. Of course, I couldn't look at them either. This is why I hate going to hospitals. My parents were always busy so they never get to stay with me in any of my hospital trips.

 

Eventually, I just stayed away from the hospital no matter how bad my condition was. It takes longer but I get better on my own if I just stay at home. Taking a few days off never really affected my academics since I would always study in advance just in case. My grades tend to make up for my absences so I never really get in trouble with my teachers.

 

Though I'm used to being alone, I feel more alone than usual.. If that makes sense. I used to treasure my time alone the most but for some reason, I don't feel that way today.

 

Once I realized that there was a clock on the wall behind my bed, and that it read 4:30 PM, I started to become rather fidgety. Also, for the record, It's NOT because I'm waiting for someone. I just so happen to be really aware of the time today. Yeah.. 

 

What exactly is 4:30 PM? It's the time school finishes. Which I really do not care about.

 

I sigh, switching through the limited channels on the TV, watching some shows I'm not even interested in just to distract myself. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

[4:56PM]

 

 

 

Okay. 

 

There's no use lying to myself. It's not helping me. 

 

Maybe I'm waiting for someone. 

 

Okay, not maybe. 

 

I AM waiting

 

I'm not exactly doing a good job on convincing myself otherwise considering I turn to the clock every other minute as if checking the time was my habit.

 

Deep inside, I really wanted her to mean it. When she said she was coming back, I really wished she would. I wanted Yena-unnie to be different. I wanted Yena-unnie to be different from her

 

I can't fool myself.

 

 I know how happy it made me to have someone by my side.  I know how much easier everything seemed to feel, even with just one person being with me... but that also meant it hurt me much more when she left me behind. Right when I trusted her the most and where I felt like everything would be okay when I was with her... She turned against me faster than anyone else did. 

 

I don't want to feel that way again. 

 

I don't want to be broken that way again. 

 

I could easily accept being bullied. I could easily accept being used. 

 

What I couldn't accept was being thrown away. Time and time again, I felt betrayed. A lot of people come and go.. But nothing could compare to how broken I was when she left me. It felt like she was the only person keeping my heart together and the moment she left, the pieces that were barely sticking together finally gave in and shattered. 

 

She was the only light I had... The only person I felt was truly my friend.. Or maybe more.. I wouldn't know. 

 

And when I needed her the most, she turned away and acted as if she never knew me.

 

Because of what she did, I couldn't trust anyone anymore,

 

 And because of it, I couldn't bring myself to trust Yena-unnie,

 

And because of that, I hated myself.

 

It isn't Yena-unnie's fault that someone had hurt me. She didn't deserve the consequences of what someone else had done. I knew that. I knew it very well. But then the same words would repeat themselves in my head,

 

How can you know she's real?

 

What if she's plotting something?

 

She's going to betray you like everyone else did.

 

Once you open up to her, she's gone.

 

I can't stop them, these thoughts. It was a loop and I was stuck in it. I sighed. I turned off the TV and threw the remote over at the sofa, wincing due to having forced my arm... I'm probably going to have trouble getting that back but I couldn't care less.

 

I lay down on the bed, closing my eyes as I felt them water. 

 

Yuri, you're so weak. Don't cry, idiot. 

 

I try to calm myself, taking long breaths..

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

.

 

 

Just when I was about to drift away from reality, which I would have preferred, I heard the door open.

 

Of course, it could be a nurse. Maybe it was time to check on me again.

 

I could just think that way and let myself rest.

 

Among those rational thoughts in my head, a simple question plagued me, silently, at the back of my head, 'What if?'

 

With that one thought, I couldn't keep myself still..

 

I couldn't keep myself from hoping.

 

.

 

With little regard to my aching body, I immediately sat up and looked at the door. My sudden movement caused the person by the door to flinch.

 

"AH! You surprised me-" the figure by the door shook her head, "-Yah, what are you doing?! Why are you moving around like that? Did your bruises stop hurting already?"

 

I stared at the figure as she closed the door, walking over to the sofa to put her bag down. My eyes followed her as she took the remote from the sofa before sitting down and turning it on. 

 

"You sure like staring at me," She looked back at me.. 

 

...And when she did, the tears that have been threatening to fall finally escaped my eyes. She came back. Yena-unnie came back.

 

"Y-Yuri???" She quickly dropped the remote and ran over to me, "Does it still hurt after all? Geez, why'd you get up so-"

 

She didn't have time to finish her sentence as I pulled her closer, causing her to almost lose her balance, "What are you-"

 

"I didn't think you were coming back!" I cried out, holding onto her blazer as tightly as I can, "I didn't think you would... come..."

 

I'm weak. I've always known that I was weak.

 

But I was weaker than I expected.

 

For just a few acts of kindness that took place, in less than two weeks of knowing her, here I am already trying to hold on to her.

 

The voices in my head keep telling me how stupid I am. 

 

And what a big mistake I'm making.

 

That I'm going to end up getting hurt again.

 

I know. I know that it's a possibility. I could get hurt again. I could have my heart broken into even smaller pieces this time. And yes, those voices are here again,

 

How can you know she's real?

 

What if she's plotting something?

 

She's going to betray you like everyone else did.

 

Once you open up to her, she's gone.

 

I'm still in that loop and I still can't get out. 

 

....But for a moment, the gentle hand my hair and the warmth that I felt.. For a moment, just for a moment, I couldn't hear those voices anymore. And for that moment, I thought, 

 

Maybe.. Just maybe if it's her..

 

 I can learn how to trust someone again.

 

 

~ + ~

 

 

||a/n: Hey~ I decided to include Yena's POV just to give you guys an idea on what exactly got Yena to approach Yuri that day. I've also given a bit more detail regarding Yuri's trust issues and the existence of this 'her'.

I wanted to show Yuri's conflicting feelings of being unable to open herself yet wanting to change. Even when the voices in her head say the same things, she's aware that Yena doesn't deserve distrust. Yuri is slowly becoming open to trusting Yena.

Since this chapter was kinda gloomy, we're having nice things next chapter~ Hope you liked this chapter~||