One Year Later...

Tell Me Goodbye

The rain started to calmly pour down as they traveled down the freeway. Ji Hoon was silent as he steered the truck down the lonely path. Jessica was quietly stirring in the back seat. Yuri leaned against the window and stared outside the truck. She saw the raindrops slowly drip down the window. She yawned and turned to Ji Hoon.

 

“Why did we have to leave so quickly?”

 

Ji Hoon remained silent.

 

“Why did you strike you brother-“

 

“HE’S NOT MY BROTHER!” screamed Ji Hoon.

 

Jessica sprang up surprised from Ji Hoon’s loud voice.

 

Yuri gave Ji Hoon a serious look. Ji Hoon slowly calmed down.

 

“I…I just didn’t feel comfortable having you there with him, that’s all.”

 

“Minho was nothing but kindness to Jessica and I. What do you have against him?”

 

“It’s a long story.”

 

“We have all night and this ride.”

 

“He took everything from me, understand?”

 

“Do you mean your family?”

 

“That’s enough now, Yuri, go to asleep.”

 

Yuri refrained from anymore questions, to avoid anymore confrontations, and decided to sleep. Jessica stared at Ji Hoon’s face from the mirror and gave off a sneer remark.

 

“Why don’t you two keep your business to yourselves? Did you forget I was here?”

 

Jessica turned her head and went back to sleep. Ji Hoon ignored her statement and continued to drive. The rain continued to pour down upon them.

 

The Early Morning

 

The group finally arrived to Seoul in the early morning. The sun was barely up. They went ahead and dropped off Jessica at her home. As soon they arrived near the gate, Jessica opened the door and left with saying farewell or thank you. Yuri knew she wouldn’t be talking to Jessica for a long time.

 

Ji Hoon and Yuri arrived home and parked into the garage. Ji Hoon sprang out of the truck and went straight inside without helping Yuri with her luggage. Yuri’s face grew upset yet she resisted and unloaded by herself. She dragged her bags up the stairs towards their bedroom. When she arrived upstairs, she saw Ji Hoon dialing his cell phone.

 

“Who are you calling?” asked Yuri.

 

“I’m calling your manager.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I need to find you some work.”

 

“Would you mind your own business? I’ll handle my own career!”

 

“It looks like you aren’t quite talented in that part so I’ll do it for you.”

 

“Jung Ji Hoon!”

 

Ji Hoon sprang up from the bed and grabbed Yuri by the neck and pressed her against the wall. Yuri began to sob.

 

“If you want to keep your career going then its best you listen to me instead of befriending my family, alright? Associating yourself with the public would be a big MISTAKE!”

 

“Pl…pl…please…Ji Hoon…let me…go”

 

Ji Hoon released her from the choke hold and went back to calling her manager. Yuri slowly crawled into the other room and slammed it shut. She moved into corner and began to cry. Her tears rolled down and smeared her eye makeup. She began to regret everything. She began to hate herself for getting into such a troublesome career and into a doomed relationship. Yet was it ever a relationship to begin with? Her thoughts began to scramble her mind.

 

Then she remembered Minho. She remembered last night and how close they grew together. She wiped her tears and crawled into the bed. She placed her head on the pillow and slowly fell asleep.

 

She dreamed about Minho. It was night and they were sitting together near the marina. She smelled the salty water and heard the sound of waves smashing against the sea wall. She looked to Minho. He was looking far away into the distance. He slowly turned his head and smiled towards her. The sea breeze blowing against his hair and his soft, kind smile made her feel at peace and, in love.

 

One Year Later

 

The doctor felt the pulse of the patient. He turned to the nurse and whispered the time of death to her. A father with his kids stood behind the doctor and watch with stunned looks on their faces.

 

“Appa…is mama…gone” whispered the youngest daughter.

 

“Mama…” whispered the eldest daughter.

 

The father stood silent and hugged his daughters. He slowly began to cry as his daughters embraced him tightly. The nurse escorted them out of the room as they prepared to bring the body to the morgue. After paying up the rest of hospital bills, the father sat with his face in his hands. The daughters were asleep next to him. He couldn’t believe this happened to his wife. It was crucial blow to his spirit. Ji Hoon approached him.

 

“Siwon…” whispered Ji Hoon.

 

“Rain…I mean…Ji Hoon…what are you doing here?”

 

“I could never leave my friend alone.”

 

“Ji Hoon…”

 

“I’m here to let you know that I’m here to help. Money, shelter, food…I am here alright?”

 

“I’ll be there to protect you as well.”

 

“You are my favorite bodyguard, you know that? I want you to take a vacation alright? You need it.”

 

“I can’t. Not now. I need to work. I still have my girls to care for. She wouldn’t want to see me lying back.”

 

“I understand. I’ll see you tomorrow. You should rest for now, alright?”

 

Siwon nodded and Ji Hoon got up and left the hospital. Siwon was truly indebted to Ji Hoon. He was there to give him work when he couldn’t find any and he was there when his wife had cancer. Sadly, they lost the war against cancer. Siwon was ready to pay back everything to Ji Hoon.

 

 

After the past year, Yuri’s modeling grew from bad to worst. After being accused by the public for cheating on Rain, she was by her agency told to break off their “relationship” and start being a back-up dancer. Jessica’s career began to skyrocket as a model and singer. Jessica barely let Yuri into her group. Yuri’s life was slowly growing difficult to live.

 

Jessica’s band’s dance practice finally finished up at night and Yuri slowly gathered her things together. Yuri overheard the rest of the group were heading to the bar afterwards yet they didn’t invite her. Yuri put on her hoodie and exited from the back of the studio. Jessica watched Yuri as she left. Jessica went back to chatting with the rest of the group.

 

It was late yet the city was still buzzing with crowds of people at the night markets. Yuri made her way through the people. Surprisingly, no one recognized her. She was already used to going unnoticed. Suddenly, the crowd began to mass together and women began to scream. Yuri made her way through and took a peek at what was going on. It was limousine. The door flew open and Rain stepped out. He waved to the crowd and made his way to the chicken stand. Yuri remembered how he loved to get chicken from the night market. She saw his trusty bodyguard Siwon, closely following behind him. Ji Hoon bought his favorite chicken bucket and returned back to the limo. Before he stepped in, Ji Hoon saw her standing in the crowd. He ignored her and shut the door. Yuri felt relieved that she didn’t have to live with him anymore. She stepped back and continued her way home.

 

Yuri moved into a small studio apartment after leaving Ji Hoon. It was smaller but she had some peace of mind. She entered the tiny apartment and it was icy cold. She looked at the bills scattered on her counter and found out she forgot to pay the gas bill. She knew right away that she was going to sleep without heat tonight, again. She got into the shower and took a quick, cold bath. She dried up quickly and got into her pajamas. She wore her sweater and crawled into bed. She put on her earphones and began to relax.

 

A dark figure from the opposite building’s roof slowly focused his binoculars into Yuri’s window. He saw her toes moving from side to side as she listened to her music. The shadowy man wiped the spit from his mouth and kept watching. He knew his job was to keep an eye on Yuri for Ji Hoon but he never knew he would fall in love with her during the job. Private Detective Onew felt guilty and utter disgusted but he loved watching over her. It was the right thing to do.

 

 

Jindo Bus Station

 

Minho’s bus number was called and he stood up. Mama and Papa Jung helped him with his luggage as he walked to the bus. When they arrived, Minho looked to the two caring parents who cared for him when he lost everything.

 

“Mama…Papa…thank you for everything…” said Minho.

 

The two elders bowed to him and he bowed down respectively.

 

“You are always welcome to return. Don’t forget us,” said Mama Jung.

 

Minho began to tear up and embraced her. She was the one who adopted him and cared for him. He remembered how she would encourage him to play his music during dinner. She loved his piano work and she knew it would be a horrible thing to let that talent go to waste.

 

“You take care, son,” said Papa Jung.

 

Minho hugged him as well. Papa Jung was the best friend of Minho’s real father and he promised to care for Minho no matter what. Papa Jung fulfilled his promise to his father. Minho loved him truly for that.

 

“I will call when I arrive.”

 

Minho boarded the crammed bus and went to the back. He threw his luggage into the top luggage carrier and took a seat. A young, rich girl in sunglasses with thick black hair sat across from him. She stared and smiled at him. He smiled back and turned around. He stared out the window to find his parents. Mama and Papa Jung stood by the ticket booth and waved to him. The bus’s engine ignited and it was time to leave. The doors shut and the bus began to move. Minho cried as he saw his parents slowly get left behind. He wiped his tears and slowly dug into his back pocket. He pulled out the old, worn out letter left behind by Yuri and read it over again. He must have read the letter more than a thousand times yet it never got old to him. He knew he would see Yuri again, no matter what it took.

 

 

After the concert, the group gathered together for an inspirational talk from Jessica. Yuri was sweaty and tired but felt accomplished for their hard work.

 

“Thank you everyone for making this show successful! Let’s go home now and get some rest! Thank you!!!” screamed Jessica.

 

Everyone cheered and bowed. Yuri finished bowing and slowly approached the manager.

 

“Sir, I was hoping if I could get a cash advance. I’m having trouble paying for my gas bill and I need some hot water for tonight. I’ve been bathing in cold water for the past two weeks,” asked Yuri.

 

“I’m very sorry, Yuri, times are pretty tight and we barely made money from the past concert. We’ll see how much we made from tonight and I’ll see what I can,” said the manager.

 

Yuri bowed and the manager left. Jessica overheard the conversation and approached Yuri.

 

“Here, it isn’t much but it might help,” said Jessica.

 

Yuri saw Jessica’s hand holding a pile of cash from her purse.

 

“It’s alright, Jessica. You’ve helped me far too much,” said Yuri.

 

“Fine then, suit yourself but don’t forget what I’ve done for you, alright?”

 

Yuri bowed again and Jessica exited the backstage to her wardrobe room. Yuri gathered her belongings and followed the rest of the crew to the exit doors. Yuri felt so ashamed for begging from her employers but there was no one to turn to. She was afraid to turn to Ji Hoon. Yuri boarded the bus and prepared for the long road home.

 

 

Jessica and Taecyeon sat in their car waiting outside the bus station.

 

“Man, it’s so late now, babe,” said Taecyeon.

 

“Yeah, I know! But my sister will be here soon alright? She is only 15 so I need to get her,” said Jessica.

 

“Really? She cute?

 

Jessica struck his arm.

 

“I’m joking!!!”

 

Suddenly Krystal, Jessica’s little sister, emerged from the bus station front doors with her rolling luggage behind her. Jessica stepped out and waved to her. Krystal smiled and walked quickly to their car. Taecyeon stepped out to help her with her luggage.

 

“Wow, you girls are cute!”

 

Krystal giggled and stepped into the car.

 

“My gosh, Jessica, I thought I would die riding that ghetto bus! I never want to visit Grandma again alright?” said Krystal.

 

“Yeah, yeah don’t worry! I will persuade Mom never to bring you there again,” said Jessica.

 

Jessica turned to her window and took sight of a familiar face that emerged from the station. It was Minho. Jessica’s flew wide open. Taecyeon started the engine and they were off. Jessica could not believe that the “farm boy” actually came to the big city. She looked to Taecyeon and began to make a little scheme in her mind. She smiled to herself and turned to Krystal.

 

“So, that ride was pretty long huh? We’re there any cute guys on board to keep you mind from growing bored?”

 

“Well there was this cute guy from Jindo. He was very nice to talk to and he told me he was heading to the SM Music Academy. He’s training to be a professional piano player.”

 

“I see…”

 

“Yeah…I want to DATE him so bad! Yet, I know my mom and dad will say ‘no’”

 

“Yeah! You’re too young!”

 

Jessica bit her lower lip and turned to Taecyeon. He quietly drove and paid no attention to their sisterly conversation. She turned to Krystal and whispered.

 

“Hey…so the SM Academy huh?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“I’ll pick you up at 10 in the morning alright? We’ll find him…”

 

“Alright…”

 

The two sisters giggled and returned to their seats. Jessica smiled to herself. She knew that Minho was here to look for Yuri. Jessica knew why Yuri’s career was destroyed. It was because of Ji Hoon giant pride and jealousy. Now that Minho was here, she could further make Yuri’s life worst. She knew that the two had something for each other. She remembered how they would laugh and stare at each other. She knew she had to tell the tabloids about their trip. Jessica finally felt Yuri deserved what was coming to her and maybe taking her heart away could be the best strike ever. Yuri would pay for looking down on her years ago. Jessica smiled.

 

“Stop smiling,” said Taecyeon.

 

Jessica smacked his head. They all began to laugh. Jessica laughed the hardest. She was planning going to ruin Yuri’s life.