Chapter 17

But Not For Me

Hakyeon waits at the bus stand, as they promised to meet up. At first, Taekwoon insisted to pick him up at home but Hakyeon refused since he said he can walk by himself all fine. And he insisted on not wanting Taekwoon to come and wait for him at his front gate. Sitting on the bench while sipping on the cold banana milk that he managed to buy at the convenience store on his way to the bus stand, Hakyeon sighs upon Taekwoon's tardiness. He keeps looking at his watch and starts to wonder if Taekwoon decided to fool him.

He slips his hand inside the blue sweater he wore on the day, annoyed. "Ah, this guy I should have never trusted him," Hakyeon grunts in annoyance before a text comes in his phone, showing an unknown number.

'I'll be there in 10 minutes. I'm sorry but something caught on the way,' and Hakyeon knows right away who was it. He sighs once again and looks around if there's any cafe opened early in the morning since he's hungry too. The actual plan was having breakfast with the guy named Taekwoon at 10 in the morning but now it looks like Hakyeon had to have lunch by himself. Walking in a short distance, Hakyeon enters a cafe and found a sit right away. Luckily it's not yet crowded and he ordered a cup of hot tea and small snacks for himself.

He occupies himself by playing with his phone until someone familiar enters the cafe looking apologetic finds his way to Hakyeon's seat. Glaring, Hakyeon places his croissant back on the plate. "Sorry, I had to babysit my nephew until my mom come back from the market. And my sister was outstation so she had to send her kids to my house," Taekwoon apologizes. Hakyeon notices Taekwoon pants and he still hasn't fully caught his breath as he sits yet he decides to just let Taekwoon off the hook. Maybe he speaks the truth.

He pushes his tea for Taekwoon to drink some before he orders one for himself since he looks so tired running to the cafe. "How many nephews do you have?" Hakyeon asked, trying to be friendly. 

"Only one. And he's 3- do you want to see his picture?" Hakyeon nods, waiting for Taekwoon to scroll the picture from the gallery for him. It was a video Taekwoon played toy hammer with his nephew and Hakyeon coos over the cuteness. 

"Aww so cute!"

"Who? Me?" Taekwoon jokingly asked when he saw Hakyeon's face back to being stern and annoyed. Their situation was just like they didn't have a fight with Sanghyuk last night and acts as if they were just fine. Well,  Hakyeon doesn't want to kill today's mood and neither Taekwoon. Sanghyuk called him a few times last night before he sleeps and also this morning too.

But Hakyeon decided not to pick up and reply to his text at this time since he's afraid every single conversation will only lead to a fight. They talked a lot about the kids in the family and Hakyeon also shares about his nephews too. Taekwoon amazed at how Hakyeon managed to stay calm when he has three nephews when his brother's family comes over. 

Plus, Hakyeon looks like a person that couldn't really stand a child too. "What do you mean by that? I teach dance to children too okay," Hakyeon glares and takes another bite of the bread. Nodding, Taekwoon only agrees on whatever Hakyeon said while looking at the dancer. 

"You look pretty cute today,"

"You look extra talkative today," he snickers, rolling his eyes to Taekwoon before noticing that they actually wore the same colored hoodie. Choking on his bread, Hakyeon suddenly yells with a full mouth, attracting other customer's attention. It's not really the same actually- Taekwoon wore the baby blue hoodie that he bought when he met Hakyeon at the mall the other day.

While Hakyeon dressed in a darker shade of blue. Taekwoon looks down to his own hoodie when Hakyeon looks obviously annoyed as his face reddening. "Are you shy?" he asked, resulting in Hakyeon to chuckle in disbelief over the accusation. Taekwoon's voice obviously sends a hint of teasing along with the smirk on his face.

God, Hakyeon wants to wipe that smirk from his face so bad. He sips his drinks while looking somewhere else but Taekwoon, silently cursing at the boxer who currently enjoys teasing him. By the time of him mentally cursing Taekwoon, suddenly a small voice calls his name from his behind, making Hakyeon turns his body and saw Jihoon with his mother.

"Hakyeon hyung! Ah- no wonder Teacher Jun said you can't come today," Jihoo points his finger playfully at both Taekwoon and Hakyeon. When kids are being kids, Hakyeon face becomes redder even after Taekwoon's teasing. He heard the man in front of him giggles before he lowers down his body to meet the kid's eyes. 

"Ohh how do you know Hakyeon hyung is dating me? Do we look like a couple?" Taekwoon asked Jihoon but then Hakyeon kicks his legs under the table, denying.

"Hakyeon hyung always go out with Sanghyuk hyung. And it's my first time saw him with another friend," Jihoon cutely answers, and gets his hair ruffled by Taekwoon. While Hakyeon is nervously sitting on his chair, praying that either Jihoon or Taekwoon won't say anything weird in front of Jihoon's mother. The timing was so bad and he regrets so much for waiting for Taekwoon with his dance class nearby. 

Looking at Hakyeon, Taekwoon quietly whispers to Jihoon something that only both of them knows and Jihoon adorably giggles after listen to whatever Taekwoon spout from his mouth. The two of them unbelievably click with each other when they had fist bumps together before Jihoon left with his mother. Glaring at Taekwoon for the nth times, Hakyeon pulls Taekwoon's coffee to his side.

"What did you say to him?!" the coffee almost spilled when Hakyeon harshly pulls from Taekwoon's hands and both of them left the cafe with the coffee still on Hakyeon's hands.

"If I tell you, would you get mad at me?" Taekwoon asked, looking at Hakyeon with his side-eyes. He uses the softest voice, while both of them sit at the bus stand waiting for the bus to come. Seeing Hakyeon raises his shoulder, Taekwoon bites his lips while holding his laughter. He knows if Hakyeon heard this, he would get mad regardless of the promise of not getting angry.

Hakyeon frowns as he desperately wants to know what they talked about before in the cafe and with Taekwoon's mischief attitude isn't letting him know. Taekwoon moves closer to Hakyeon's side while looking into his round almond eyes. "I said to Jihoon that I am your future boyfriend," his soft voice indeed draws Hakyeon's attention, sending shiver and makes him froze on his seat.

Even though Taekwoon draws his face closer to him, Hakyeon was charmed by Taekwoon's voice and the sparks in his eyes. His lips almost reached Hakyeon's, however, it was killed when the bus they waited arrived and that breaks the awkwardness between them with Hakyeon pushed Taekwoon away in a distance.

 

♦♦♦

 

As the arrived at the performance hall, Taekwoon notices the expression that Hakyeon has in his face is no longer red, or shy but he shows a different facial expression. That somehow Taekwoon feels like he saw himself in Hakyeon. The place was crowded which Taekwoon was thankful that he managed to but the best seat for both of them. There are few booths opened too for walk-in ticketing which both of them never expects it would be this crowded.

"Woah, she sure got so many fans," Taekwoon said, amazes. He could tell this person must be famous since the people who come were of various ages. There are kids, teenagers like them and there are also adults. 

Hakyeon heard the amusement came from the boxer's mouth and glances as he sure Taekwoon never comes to a dance performance in his whole life judging from his expression. "She is. Yura is one of my favorite ballet dancers, she won many international awards," he said, catching Taekwoon's attention. 

"Do you want to be someone like her one day?" Taekwoon asked, out of curiosity but Hakyeon only scoffs. But it doesn't mean he looks down upon Taekwoon's question. Just, Hakyeon never thinks of himself being someone as a powerful, graceful dancer and beautiful as Kim Yura did. Also, their choice of dances is different. 

"Maybe not. Can you guess what I want to be?" he looks up to Taekwoon's curious face with the smile hanging on his face. "I want to be someone who can make people happy when I dance. Maybe an idol?" Hakyeon said. "But maybe not,"

"Why not?" 

Hakyeon thinks for a while why the answer is no and what to answer Taekwoon. He can't say that he's not talented, nor he hasn't won many awards too. His parents supported his dream and hobby to be a dancer- so there is nothing that stops him from doing what he likes. He jolts his shoulder, as an answer and Taekwoon stops asking further about that since Hakyeon doesn't seem interested to answer either. 

"By the way Jung Taekwoon. Did you remember what you promised me before we come here?" 

Taekwoon takes a few seconds to think what he had promised Hakyeon before, however before he gets to answer, Hakyeon rolls his eyes already. "You promised to be annoying!" Hakyeon snaps, which making Taekwoon slip a small 'oh' from his lips.

"Did I annoy you out?" 

"Not yet, but I was just reminding you. Let's go, the line is getting longer," Hakyeon pulls his sleeves, to avoid holding Taekwoon's hands and to avoid Taekwoon feeling overexcited if he accidentally holds his hands or anything. But, Hakyeon knows even when he holds the sleeve, Taekwoon is already smiling from ear to ear.

They walked to the hall with Taekwoon protecting Hakyeon since it was crowded and Hakyeon almost tripped a few times. "Hakyeon-ah, be careful," Taekwoon holds his hand as their seating is down close to the stage, and he helps him walking down the stairs. It was so natural when Hakyeon also shows his hand to the taller.

Letting Hakyeon get into the seating row first since Taekwoon would watch his back and could hold him if he tripped or anything. Nobody wants a dancer to injure his legs at this moment and they finally arrived at his seat with their hands still holding tight to each other but Hakyeon doesn't seem to notice that. Until Taekwoon tightens the hold on his hands.

"Do you plan to hold my hands until the end of the show?" Hakyeon puts on his stank face, as Taekwoon sheepishly smile. Since Hakyeon didn't show any threatening hands to smack him, he assumes that it was okay to hold. Hakyeon fakes his cough and lets Taekwoon holds his hand even it was awkward. Only for Hakyeon. As for Taekwoon, he becomes the happiest man ever since the day Hakyeon accepted his invitation to watch the performance together. 

"Yah, let go of my hand now. I'm sweating," 

"Can I hold your hand again after you wipe your sweats?"

"You're disgusting," Hakyeon scrunches his face when he was questioned like that but Taekwoon swiftly answers him.

"I'm not the one sweating,"

"You're annoying,"

"You're cute," 

"You're unbelievable,"

"Unbelievably handsome. I know, thanks," 

"You-"

"Can you both shut up? It almost starts and if you want to continue your couple fight please go home," the person behind them kicks Taekwoon's seat and scolds both of them. Hakyeon was about to explode but he cancels his plan on knocking Taekwoon's head to avoid the public annoyance and also with Taekwoon's winking innocently at him making Hakyeon a bit shy, but the darkness covers his blush.


Author's Note

 

sorry for the late update! I was too occupied with school but now the coronavirus was rapidly spreading in my country so my school had a month break. pray that you'll see me often throughout the month break kkk anyway stay healthy! if you feel any discomfort please please please quarantine yourself or get a check at the nearest hospital. don't do anything stupid or selfish that will cause harm to anyone else. 

xx authornim