Chapter 16

But Not For Me

Hakyeon never felt this free before and this is the first time he hangs out with Wonshik and Jaehwan. And Taekwoon. The time is almost dark and he was lucky that Jaehwan was still at the school for his singing practice- also for the school festival. Since both of them into arts and entertainment, Hakyeon could feel the chemistry between the two of them and it was fun having Jaehwan around. That was why Hakyeon can hang out longer with Jaehwan just like how he did with Sanghyuk.

Speaking of Sanghyuk, Hakyeon actually forgot that he needs him to choose which dance he can send to his dance teacher for assessment, but he also doesn't want to bother Sanghyuk since he's currently with Hongbin. He knows it was his choice to help Hongbin with Sanghyuk, but also he feels Hyuk is already distancing himself away from him. He knows that he helps Sanghyuk to get along with Hongbin but if it means losing his best friend, Hakyeon might need to do something about this. 

"Hakyeon-ah are you full already? Why don't you eat your food?" Jaehwan asked, startling Hakyeon from his thoughts. Taekwoon looks at the dancer with worried eyes, since something is bothering Hakyeon and he thinks that he might need to know about this.

"Are you okay? Do you want to order something else? I can get it for you," Hakyeon looks at Taekwoon and curls his lips, then shaking his head telling him that he's fine. 

"It's okay, I'm just tired since I practiced non stop for today," it's true. He walked back to the dance room after talking to Sanghyuk before the latter went to the convention just now and he had nothing for lunch.

All in his mind was about the dance assessment and the school festival. For a senior like him, it's tiring since the juniors are looking up for him and many people will come over. Hakyeon sighs thinking about the pressure on his shoulder. At this time, Sanghyuk would cheer him up and will do everything to make him happy and lessen the burden for him. The same goes for him- he will help Sanghyuk to practice and even accompany Sanghyuk to his boxing class. But now, Sanghyuk has someone else to do that for him.

Don't get him wrong. Hakyeon does love Sanghyuk but not more than as a friend. And since Hongbin has somewhat managed to get inside Sanghyuk's heart, Hakyeon was very delighted to know that someone will take care of his best friend more than he can manage. 

"Anyway Wonshik, how can you stay friends with Taekwoon for a long time? Wasn't he annoying?" Hakyeon asked, glancing at Taekwoon who is currently judging him.

"What do you think I am? You can say, I only behave like this with boys that I like... Right, Wonshik?" Jaehwan nods agreed. But for Wonshik who knows him longer, he chuckles sarcastically. "Boys, which include your exes right? But Hakyeon you know what? Taekwoon is more annoying when he's with you and we both know why," Wonshik's assumptions immediately raise the temperature in Hakyeon's body upon remembering what Taekwoon said to him yesterday.  

"Wh- what?"

"This handsome boxing prince likes you duh," Taekwoon at the side answers for Wonshik while chewing his ice. His slanted eyes looking at Hakyeon becomes narrower as he gives him a flirty smile. 

Watching a Taekwoon that he hardly sees, Jaehwan fakes his vomits as he barely can accept that Taekwoon can be this cheesy. Normally, he would act like a tough and annoying guy- but when Hakyeon comes in his life, the two best friends could tell Hakyeon must have something in him that makes Taekwoon whipped like that.

That was the fourth or third-time Hakyeon heard Taekwoon's confession to him and somehow this guy has no shame at all. He could see how Taekwoon tries to talk to him, the effort of making Hakyeon like him and what shakes Hakyeon the most, Taekwoon's gut to kiss him on the lips. Which the last time he complied and his heart was racing like crazy. 

"Well, maybe you should try harder," Hakyeon whispers, but Taekwoon and others managed to catch the words from Hakyeon's mouth. 

"Is that a challenge, Cha Hakyeon? Because this Jung Taekwoon loves challenges and adventures. Especially in love," he winks, making Hakyeon feel dizzy due to the cringes.

Hakyeon places his banana milkshake on the table, exchanging looks with Taekwoon since the guy looks so confident. "Are you sure you'll take this challenge? Because I think you'll quit in no time Taekwoon. Don't regret or cry to your mum if I crushed your heart," he says.

"Well, my mum doesn't raise a quitter sweetheart," confident. Hakyeon pursues his lips, mocking Taekwoon and his guts again. 

 

♦♦♦

 

No matter how many times Taekwoon tries to hold Hakyeon's hands again, he manages to escape by walking at a quicker pace than Taekwoon or slower when the former tries to catch up. The four of them decided to walk Hakyeon home since it was already dark and Taekwoon can't afford to send Hakyeon home alone after two times of fighting incident. He doesn't want his Hakyeon to be covered with bruises and blood. Said, it doesn't suit him at all. The walk home filled with jokes and annoying remarks by Jaehwan- but Hakyeon doesn't find it offensive at all.

Jaehwan is really a fun person to be with. He heard Jaehwan sings along the walk and damn, Hakyeon's heart melts right away especially when Jaehwan hits ballad. No wonder he becomes the school's best singer. Taekwoon, on the other hand, watching Hakyeon's back, pouting in jealousy when Hakyeon only gives Jaehwan his attention rather than looking at him. 

"You should listen to Taekwoon's voice when he sings too. He can do something other than his fist," Jaehwan said, making Taekwoon's ears to perk a little when he knows Jaehwan is trying to help him, selling his value to Hakyeon. He fakes his cough as he heard his name was mentioned. 

"Taekwoon can sing? Nevermind, I'd rather listen to the frog's sound," Hakyeon teases, making Taekwoon pouts again. Hakyeon walks at ease as he never has a group of friends like this when it's always Sanghyuk and him and no more. It's not that he can't make friends, Hakyeon just can't find someone that has the character to be friends as close as Sanghyuk to even walk him home. 

Taekwoon is a different case when he walked Hakyeon a few times since he's a stubborn rascal, Hakyeon called him that. He complained at first but when Taekwoon keeps bothering him, Hakyeon learned one thing which is, just let Taekwoon do what he wants. The walk to Hakyeon's place feels shorter when he has companies like this. 

"Oh isn't that Sanghyuk?" Wonshik said, turning everyone's attention to Hakyeon's front gate. There is Sanghyuk standing, leaning against the wall and watch them walk to his direction. 

Sanghyuk has this sour and speechless expression on his face when he saw Hakyeon walks next to Taekwoon and moves his eyes down, to meet with the scene where Taekwoon quickly holds onto Hakyeon's smaller hand. Scoffing, Sanghyuk keeps glaring at the four especially to Hakyeon since he felt he has lied too. Hakyeon, who left him hanging on the text this evening, and he told him that he needs to help his mother with something today. But, instead, he found Hakyeon walked home with the trio. 

Which it's never being done before. Not until Taekwoon moves to their school.

"I thought you helped your mum with stuff? I don't remember you told me about them?" there is sarcasm hidden in Sanghyuk's words. It was cold, almost giving Hakyeon a shock in his heart since Sanghyuk never talks to him like that.

"Mum went to see grandpa, so I don't follow them since I have training. And I ate with them since you went on a date with Hongbin," Hakyeon explained.

"What? A date? We just went to see game stuff. It's not even a date," taken aback, Sanghyuk didn't expect Hakyeon to put it that way. He becomes defensive. 

Hakyeon frowns upon Sanghyuk's denial. If not date what is it when they went together without Hakyeon. Then, he looks at Sanghyuk who's glaring at Taekwoon. "Hand's off from Cha Hakyeon. You don't even deserve to hold his hands you filthy,"

"Han Sanghyuk! Why are you talking like that?!" Hakyeon raises his voice, glaring at Sanghyuk when he comes off rude like that. "Why are you being rude to him? He doesn't even do anything. You should thank them for sending me home. You guys can go home, thanks!" he rolls his eyes to Sanghyuk before turns his directions to the trio. 

Sensing that Sanghyuk is still glaring at Taekwoon, Hakyeon looks at Taekwoon who seems to ignore his words and glares back at Sanghyuk- as if they'll have a fight right now in front of Hakyeon's gate. The hands on Hakyeon is still gripping tight, not going to let Hakyeon go anytime soon. Shaking his hand, Hakyeon could tell Taekwoon doesn't want to let him go so Hakyeon looks at Jaehwan, mouthing him to drag Taekwoon away. 

"Why you're so possessive on Hakyeon, huh Han Sanghyuk? Don't you have that library guy, so you have no right to tell me to let go of Hakyeon's hands," Taekwoon's point makes Sanghyuk zip his mouth for a moment before he scoffs, moving close.

"Why do you have to care about it? It's my priority to keep Hakyeon safe especially from someone like you," the situation was tight, tense and all the negative aura comes from both Taekwoon and Sanghyuk. Wonshik already grabs Taekwoon's shoulder, asking him to drop the heat and go home.

However, Taekwoon pays no attention to it and laugh over Sanghyuk's logic. "Keep Hakyeon safe my . If you can't keep your words, don't talk Sanghyuk. What bull," their glares become more intense when Sanghyuk grabs him by the collar. Hakyeon releases himself from Taekwoon's hand, pushing Sanghyuk away from his rival. Looking at Taekwoon, Hakyeon pleads him to go home instead of fighting right now. 

"You know what Sanghyuk? If you liked someone, be a man. Don't go back and forth, like some coward and greedy er you are. If you liked the library dude, then you have no rights to stop Hakyeon holding hands with whoever he wants,"

Sanghyuk grits his teeth in displeased as Taekwoon gave him his point of insults. He feels his pride was burning inside when Taekwoon prevents him to protect Hakyeon from someone like Taekwoon. Someone like Taekwoon. For even a hundred years, he would never be approved of Hakyeon with Taekwoon, holding hands before his eyes like this- even how many times Hakyeon says he dislikes Taekwoon and it was Taekwoon bothered him all along. But, he saw no resistance from Hakyeon when Taekwoon tries to hold his hands.

And it hurts Sanghyuk to see that. 

"And how do you think you're that lucky to hold his hands Jung Taekwoon? Are you a saint?" 

"I'm not but at least, I could be someone he can lean on, someone that can take hits for Hakyeon, and someone that can protect Hakyeon from danger," Taekwoon stress on his words, shocking Hakyeon since he has no plans of telling Sanghyuk about that. 

"Taekwoon!" the said man looks down, looking at how Hakyeon shakes his head, not wanting him to tell Sanghyuk about those bullies that cause bruised on his face, that chased him and tried to hit him. However, Taekwoon puts his hand on Hakyeon's shoulder, giving Hakyeon a smile, nodding his head. The glossy pleading eyes of Hakyeon indeed has an effect on him- ever since the first time, he saw him.

Sanghyuk frowns, puzzled between their conversation. There is something that Hakyeon keeps from him. "Don't you know? Because of your reckless attitude, Hakyeon was beaten up? He was chased by someone that has grudges on you? And if it wasn't for me- you can't even see your Hakyeon here I guess," Taekwoon said, and his body back to jolt up forward when Sanghyuk grabs his collar once again.

"What the did you say?"

"I said, you're a reckless, selfish, ignorant ing bastard. You had fun with Hongbin while your little best friend here was beaten up and bullied," Taekwoon smirks despite being chokes on his collar. The tightness on his neck was prominent, he could feel Sanghyuk's angriness from the grip. He was ready for any fist flying on his face when Sanghyuk raises up his hand.

But nothing comes in touch when Hakyeon yells, screaming both names and released Sanghyuk from grabbing on Taekwoon's collar. "Can you two stop?! I'm tired of you guys fighting you know that?! And Sanghyuk go home! Taekwoon isn't that bad as you think, why were you so pessimist and so scared that he will steal me away?! I know we're best friends but even best friend has limits. You should know your place when you already have Hongbin with you!" he yells before turns to Taekwoon.

"And you! I appreciate everything you gave me, and I swear my heart stops whenever you treat me so nice. But can you give me some space or time?"

"Hakyeon-"

"Please? We still go to the ballet performance this Saturday, don't worry. And what I said at the cafe, I mean it. But for now, just go home," Hakyeon gives a soft look to make Taekwoon leave. Sanghyuk heaves his breath in annoyance- it annoys him that he has to watch his best friend being so nice to a person that he despised so much. Then, he could feel Taekwoon sighs, before he gives Hakyeon a hug that sends another butterfly to linger warmly in Hakyeon's stomach. 

"Thank you, Hakyeon. And I'm sorry, I have to," Taekwoon tightens his hugs, and cracks a smile when he feels both hands creep on his back.

"Just promised you won't be annoying," both of them laugh as Taekwoon nods. Sanghyuk who has becomes the spectator doesn't want to see anything more as he still mad at Hakyeon and he left without telling Hakyeon a goodbye. It hurts him when Hakyeon literally chose to side on Taekwoon instead of him, his best friend who he has known for years. It hurts him when Hakyeon thought of him having a date with Hongbin when the actual person that Sanghyuk likes was him.

But Hakyeon doesn't know that and Sanghyuk realizes, it was too late for him to tell Hakyeon about his feelings. When Taekwoon and Hongbin come in the picture.