Day 06 - December 19

Where the Heart is

Day 06: December 19th

 

Busan

 

"Yuri! Yuri!"

 

Yuri looked up from the report that she was reading to see Minju running into the office. It was a rare sight as Minju usually was very calm and composed.

 

"Yujin is coming home for Christmas tomorrow!" Minju announced with a bright smile on her face.

 

"That's great!" Yuri replied, feeling really happy for her best friend.

 

Minju nodded. "She called me and told me last night! This is going to be the best Christmas ever!"

 

“It’s always going to be a good Christmas because you get to spend it with me!” Yuri smirked. "Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way..."

 

Minju rolled her eyes as Yuri started to sing Christmas carols. "I have been friends with you since kindergarten and I don't know how I managed to stay sane during all this time."

 

"Hey!" Yuri pouted as Minju sat down at her desk.

 

"Now that you are here, I'm going to go and deliver the tea to Gayoung-ssi." Yuri said as she picked up a small box from her desk.

 

Just then, Hitomi walked into the office carrying a small box. "Oh, are you going somewhere Yuri?"

 

“Hii-chan!" Minju walked over to Hitomi and hugged her happily. "What are you doing here?"

 

"I brought some Christmas cakes for the two of you." Hitomi walked over to Minju's desk and put the cakes down. "Yuri, do you want us to save you a piece?"

 

“That’s why you are my favourite best friend, Hii-chan!”

 

“Hey!” Minju protested as she took out some plates and forks from the cabinet.

 

Hitomi laughed as she sat down in the lounge chair in the office and started to eat the cake. Yuri took out a plastic container and put one piece of cake inside as Minju settled at her desk with her piece of cake.

 

"Oh yeah, Minju, I have left the contract with Han Distributions on your desk." Yuri said as she put on her jacket. "We were able to lower the price by 3%."

 

"Really?" Minju said in surprise. "Wow Yuri, you are amazing! When I talked to their manager, that man wouldn't even budge 1%!"

 

"I did get top marks in our negotiation class, so I guess that came in handy."

 

“Who knew sweet little Jo Yuri can be so fiesty in negotiations.”

 

Yuri shook her head in amusement and picked up her bag. “Anyway, I will be back soon."

 

Yuri  walked out of the office, leaving Minju with Hitomi.

 

"So, how are things with you, Hii-chan?" Minju asked as she turned her attention to Hitomi. "Any luck in looking for your special someone yet?"

 

"Me? I'm hopeless." Hitomi shook her head. "You and Yuri have set the bar too high for me."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I want somebody who can take care of me like you can and someone who can make me laugh like Yuri can." Hitomi explained. "See, I'm doomed."

 

Minju laughed. "You never know, Hii-chan. Maybe there is such a person out there."

 

"Well, if you know someone like that, let me know then."

 

"I will do that." Minju said then her face brightened up. "Oh yeah, Yujin will be coming back for Christmas with her two co-workers."

 

"Really? When?" Hitomi asked.

 

"Tomorrow." Minju replied. "Originally they were just going to stay for the 2 days around Christmas, but since they still have some vacation time left this year, they have decided to stay a few more days in Busan."

 

"Are they staying at your place?"

 

"Unfortunately, no." Minju shook her head. "They will be staying at a hotel. I told Yujin that they can all stay at my place, but she said since her co-workers will be coming too, she doesn’t want to bother Halabeoji. I told her that it's not a problem, but she insisted."

 

Minju paused then added softly. "It almost seems like she doesn't want to stay at my house."

 

"Hmm, what do you mean?" Hitomi asked, confused.

 

Minju shook her head. "Ah, never mind."

 

"Okay." Hitomi was still confused by Minju's comment, but decided to let it go.

 

Minju leaned back in the chair.

 

"I can't wait until tomorrow!" Minju closed her eyes as a bright smile appeared on her face. "This is going to be a great Christmas after all!"