Day 10 - December 23

Where the Heart is

Day 10: December 23rd

 

Busan

 

"Yena-unnie, can you please pass me the markers?" Minju asked as she pointed to the set of markers that were sitting on her desk.

 

Yena picked up the markers and passed it to Minju. "Here you go."

 

"Thanks. I'm sorry that you have to help me with this on your vacation."

 

"It's not a problem. It's quite enjoyable actually." Yena paused then added. "And I need a break from all the sightseeing Wonyoung is making me do."

 

Minju laughed. She was working on the preparations for the children's fair that the supermarket was sponsoring. Yena and Wonyoung had stopped by the supermarket and they decided to help out for a little bit before they headed off on more sightseeing. Yujin and Wonyoung were at the local print shop making more flyers for the event while Minju and Yena worked on the posters in the office.

 

"It's very nice of you to help out with the Children’s Fair. Not only do you sponsor the event, but you also help out with the organization, too!"

 

"The community centre does a lot of work for the children in the neighbourhood. The kids are very cute and I enjoy spending time with them. Besides, it's also like promotion for the supermarket too."

 

"Do Yuri-ssi and Hitomi-ssi help out at the community centre too?" Yena asked.

 

Minju nodded. "Hii-chan and I usually help out with the community events. Yuri actually volunteers at the centre. Once a week, she would teach the children how to sing."

 

"That's wonderful of Yuri-ssi. I wish I could have the time to do some volunteering work."

 

"I guess it's hard when you have a demanding job."

 

"Maybe that's life in Seoul!"

 

"And you guys must be really busy. I wanted Yujin to stay longer, but she said she has to go back to Seoul right after Christmas."

 

"Actually, we are not that busy right now because of the holidays. We do have some interviews scheduled after Christmas, but not that many. I guess Yujin just has a lot of arrangements to look after since she will be going to London soon..."

 

"What?" Minju asked, surprised by the news.

 

"Ahh..." Yena put her hand to when she realized that she had just told Minju something she shouldn't have.

 

"What do you mean Yujin will be going to London?"

 

"Ah... That... Um..."

 

"Just tell me!"

 

"Yujin has been promoted and she will be transferring to the office in London."

 

"Yujin is leaving..." Minju sat in her chair, shocked.

 

Yena looked at Minju in worry. The other woman was staring at the ground with an empty expression.

 

Just then, Yujin and Wonyoung walked into the office. They put down the flyers that they were carrying onto Minju's desk and Wonyoung turned to Yena.

 

"Yena-unnie, are you ready to go?"

 

"I... Ah..." Yena answered as she looked at Minju.

 

"Come on, I don't want to waste more time! We still have more sights to see!"

 

"I..."

 

Wonyoung pulled Yena up from her chair and turned to Yujin. "I know you will probably be eating dinner with Minju-unnie tonight anyway, but don't wait for us!"

 

Yujin shook her head in amusement at Wonyoung's eagerness. "Okay."

 

"Well, we’ll see the two of you later!" Wonyoung pushed Yena out of the office.

 

Yujin watched them leave, then turned to look at Minju. She noticed that the smaller woman was very quiet and was just looking blankly at the ground.

 

"Minju..." Yujin walked closer to Minju and placed her hand on Minju's forehead. "Are you not feeling well? You look pale."

 

"Yujin, I..." Minju looked up at Yujin.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

Minju shook her head as tears started to run down her face. Yujin noticed that Minju’s hands were shaking.

 

"Minju, you are scaring me." Yujin’s heart raced as she tried to think of what to do. "Umm, let me take you home. I think you need to rest."

 

"No!" Minju suddenly broke out of her trance. "No, I don't want Halabeoji to know that I'm not feeling well. He will worry."

 

"How about going to my hotel room? You can rest for awhile there."

 

Minju looked up at Yujin silently for a moment before nodding.

 

Yujin guided Minju from the chair and helped her put on her jacket. After telling Yuri what was happening, the two of them left the supermarket. Once they were outside, Yujin quickly hailed a taxi and they arrived at the hotel 15 minutes later. Yujin led Minju to her room and helped her removed her jacket. She guided Minju onto the bed and placed the blanket over her.

 

Yujin gently brushed Minju's hair. "Get some rest, okay? You will feel better afterwards."

 

Just as she was about to walk away, Minju grabbed her hand and held onto her.

 

"Stay with me?" Minju whispered softly.

 

Yujin nodded and sat on the edge of the bed. "I will stay right here."

 

"Don't leave me?"

 

Yujin shook her head. "I won't leave. Just rest, okay?"

 

Minju nodded and closed her eyes. Yujin leaned back against the bed and continued to hold Minju's hand. She watched as Minju's breath evened out as she fell asleep.

 

"I'm here, Minju. I'm always here, even if we are apart, I'm always by your side." Yujin leaned down and gently placed a soft kiss on Minju's forehead. "No matter what happens, my heart is always with you."