Chapter 19

Glistening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sitting by the river with a snack bag and watching birds fly by, a guy fished out a phone from his jeans pocket when it buzzed a text. 

"Hey man, you should see this!" it read. He took a casual sip from his soda as his thumb pressed on the link below. 

The video opened up with 200k views, dancing energetically like no one was watching. 

He spat out his drink. 

"Bomi…?!"

 

~ ★ ~

 

It felt like the times would slow for them. The buzz in the air, the gentle snowfall sticking to one moment, and freeze. Bomi would take this moment and save it forever. 

The days were peaceful to date quietly. Bomi would look to Chorong at the call of her name, twirled around her finger like a lock of hair. Smitten, wasn't she? Sweet. 

The distance closed whenever they came together, hip to hip and arms on waists. It was a feeling they craved most at the end of the day, when she'd walk through the door into the intimacy of Chorong's bedroom. 

With a tentative smile, she rubbed the tip of her nose against Chorong's, greeting her this way. It was smooth and comforting. In the beauty and smell of her, it made Bomi's heart so light.

And she remembered, in the land of her birth, this was how she used to greet. 

Chorong took it affectionately before she could really reminisce the thought.

The arms at her waist pulled her close, and then came the playful whisper of Chorong's lips, dancing on her cheek, on her chin, leading her to a heart-pounding so unbelievable the nymphs back at home wouldn't believe. 

But while the two of them couldn't be impatient with kisses, Bomi found a contentedness just like this, letting the feelings bubble freely in everything they do. 

This physical affection she used to give all her loved ones, was now left only in close moments with Chorong, like a secret music they would dance together to. It was a dance with just two steps, swaying, but it was getting to be Bomi's favourite dance of all. 

 

Sitting there in Chorong's room, they discussed many things warmly, blushes forming from their hearts to share. Bomi was endlessly curious, but in some ways Chorong could rival that when it came to her. 

How did Bomi feel? What did Bomi mean? These were their pillow talks on the nights of long days.

"With Changsub, he's my best friend," Chorong started. "I trust him, and I put that trust in him to talk about my worries. He's the kind of friend who helps me see the situation logically. He asks the questions that help me think. He understands who I am and supports me in whatever I need. He supported me when my parents didn't." 

Chorong tried to look away, but the feeling really poured out when she looked at Bomi. This was the truth. 

"He's… seen me when I'm in love, and as much I might get annoyed by it, he did help me figure out my feelings. He's a great friend, and I know I'm safe. He's just… been there for me. That kind of close friend."

Chorong shrugged lightly, feigning casualness when she was really in relief to explain it. The blush showed on her cheeks once it came back to her that it was Bomi sitting there. "Are you still jealous?" 

"Huh— Oh, no, no!"

"But you were jealous then, weren't you? With Changsub…" Chorong's head tilted with an apologetic smile. "He kinda told me."

Bomi finally admitted it sheepishly. "Okay, so I think I was jealous. I was actually, like, kind of angry too— but not by a lot! I just looked at him angrily. That was new for me. That was… strange."

Somehow, trying to explain this new feeling to Chorong felt exaggerated, like overcompensating for that small moment of jealousy. She didn't mean to feel that way, and she hadn't really been that angry, right? Right. 

This was a big thing for them, because Bomi had been a little upset at Chorong after finding out she had told Changsub about this private stuff, including the back and forth attraction and her secret, …but she understood it would have been hard to get advice about dating her otherwise. 

"Changsub encouraged me even when I wasn't sure."

Bomi felt grateful for that about him, and in her heart she had been forgiving to both, even if Changsub might get on her nerves at first. He's a gentlemanly guy and best friend to Chorong. He has the image of a friend who would be a good boyfriend! It's like Bomi can't control being wary of him, but it's getting better. 

"Well, sometimes it can't be controlled, so I understand…" 

"But I have you, unnie. I know I shouldn't be jealous."

Chorong cleared after that. "Then, will you be fine when I meet up with Changsub? Or maybe we can spend some time with him, together?" 

"Oh, I should be fine," Bomi answered, smoothing out her hands on her own knees. She wanted to be strong like Chorong, who didn't seem to get jealous. "I guess I need to practice holding it." 

Chorong blinked. "Holding your jealousy?" 

"Yeah?"

"Well, I didn't say that. I don't want you to hold it, Bbom-ah."

"But if I feel it, it doesn't really do anything. It just makes me… weird, and unfair to your friend," Bomi said, the thoughts running through her head in real time. "What if I still don't like him? Now I'm worried about that too. I don't want to not like him. He's important to you—" 

Chorong nudged her side.

"Bbom-ah, calm… Don't think so much." 

It's not like getting along with Chorong's friends was on Chorong's mind like the way Bomi stressed about it. In fact, Chorong seemed…fine, and smiled for her softly. "If I like you, my friends will like you. They kinda have to. But it's up to you if you feel there's anything wrong, then we can work something out."

Bomi nodded quickly. "Yeah. Yeah okay, if I feel that way again, I'll keep it down. I'll…see how things go, no matter what. Right?" 

"I really think you'll be okay."

Bomi gave it a breath, her eyes searching hers. "Really?"

Chorong just had to say yes. 

 

~ ★ ~

 

Reaching down the stairs, Bomi up her pride and stepped out with a handshake. 

"Changsub oppa, right?"

Eyebrows raised in surprise, Changsub looked at Chorong for a stunned second before smiling. "Oh, yes, yes. That's right, Bomi-ssi."

"I'm sorry our first meeting was a bit… um… Jealousy is still a funny thing I'm trying to understand." 

"Not so many people can easily admit that. I understand." Changsub chuckled. "It's actually not the first time I've been a topic because of Rongie here, so, no harm done."

"Really? We've had to work through some things," Bomi reminisced sheepishly, glancing at Chorong. "Unnie told me there's no need to be jealous now that I'm with her… And I do want to start over with you." 

Changsub grinned. "Oh, you just take good care of my best friend and we're good! I don't want to come fighting what I don't know," he joked.

"I mean it though. Unnie means a lot to me." 

Given the chance to show, Bomi's sincerity was always clear. Her eyes were even sparkling to look in Chorong's direction and Chorong instantly blushed to look away. Does Bomi have to look at her like that when they're right in front of her friend? It does things to her heart. 

But as the two people most precious to her traded jokes and friendly banter, Chorong smiled. Maybe they'll get along just fine. 

 

~ ★ ~

 

Yeah, no. Chorong wanted to take that back. 

She was rubbing her hands nervously, thinking that maybe they'll get along just fine without her even, if amusement park rides had to be involved! 

There were rollercoasters in each direction, and although the atmosphere of theme parks were nice even in the winter, she much preferred staying on the ground and looking at the decor. 

Question marks could have cartoonishly flown from Bomi's head with the way Bomi looked at her. Finding strength going against insurmountable weight, Bomi realised she was unable to pull Chorong along with Chorong's resisting skidding feet. 

"You don't like to go on rides?" 

Changsub bumped her shoulder. "Yep, Chorong's never been one for it! Ah, and she got this far through here without saying anything. For a moment, I thought coming with Bomi might've changed your mind a little." 

"That doesn't mean I can't enjoy being here." Chorong puffed her cheeks. "You chose the place. Bomi's always wanted to come here, and that's it."

"I just thought a theme park would lighten us up. Bomi, you like rides?"

"Do I! Well, actually I've never tried." Bomi grinned sheepishly. "But I'm excited!" 

And the two began cheering just for the sake of being there. These two noisy kids! Chorong tried to plug her ears, but she wasn't able to raise her hands up when she was intercepted on each side by new accomplices. 

"Come on, let's go on some easy rides, unnie." 

 

Chorong pretty much drew the line at any thrill rides going a metre off the ground. However, rather than inevitably splitting up the whole time, they went on rides together when they could and with Chorong watching from below at others. Whether the passenger was alone or the spectator was, Bomi tried her best to stay by Chorong's side today. 

When Bomi was ready for something greater, Changsub accompanied her and the ride they ended up choosing was really brave. Chorong had to hand it to them. 

She tried to take a photo of the carts but it blurred with the speed. She could hear them screaming off the top of the rollercoaster and Bomi practically knelt to the ground when they came back; Changsub similarly wobbly-footed in tow. Chorong just stifled a laugh to save herself from the same fate. What a way for them to bond. 

Even with snacks filled in between, Chorong eventually had to drag the two for a proper meal. That's how they began eating at a spaceship-designed fried food restaurant in the park for a late lunch. 

They had their trays with burgers on their plates, looking out onto the spacey part of the theme park. It wasn't so busy on this day, so they got to get on many of the rides they wanted. 

Now that she wasn't dolphin-screaming, Chorong was calmed enough to see this, and appreciate it all together. It was nice and it had gotten comfortable between them. Changsub finished his food first and was sipping his drink, scannin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter