dritte

Aufklärung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ten days after Jungwoo moved in

Hongkong Authority Hospital

11:30 am

The sun has been perfectly on top of everybody’s heads when a guy draped within a long white coat slams the door open to find a six feet creature is comfortably invested on his slumber. It is not long until Mark earns the attention he wanted since he slams the door quite loud and harsh. The target of Mark's Laodicean action slowly uncovers his arm that placed over his face and forced to absorb the sun rays that abruptly comes into his vision as a result of the gaps in the doorstep.

“—”

Mark does not give a damn to how pissed Lucas looks as he is just being a dense barbarian by crashing his body on Lucas’ bed, forcing the latter to release groans and rejection as he keeps pushing Mark to get off of his bed. Mark, doesn’t want to lose, keeps his balance as he pushes Lucas towards the edge of the single size bed provided by the hospital for the doctors on service.

In the end Lucas gives up and has his body squeezed to the wall with Mark dominating his previous territory. Lucas puts the pillow over his head, before Mark pulls and successfully steals it from Lucas.

“What’s your problem, dude? There are other beds as well!” Lucas, an individual who does not easily get pissed, finally loathes on his bestfriend’s sudden behaviour.

“I am pissed and I have nobody to vent it out.” Mark said, back facing Lucas who currently looks toward his direction. Here we go again, the first world problem, Lucas thought as he rolls his sleepy eyes and pulls back his pillow from the person who just distracted his precious nap.

“What the hell.” Lucas murmured as he hugs the pillow tight and tries to get his nap back.

“I got my very first kidney transplant today and after Dr. Yang’s succesful attempt of kidney harvest from the donor, when I was holding the fresh healthy kidney on my hand and about to take the honor from Dr. Zhang to attach the kidney, Dr. Yang abruptly came in and interrupted us to put the kidney back to the ice!” Mark’s long speech has finally come to an end as the guy took a deep breathe to compensate the air he forgot to inhale when complaining.

To Mark’s surprise, Lucas does not grumble or complain about how loud Mark was. Instead, he has his eyes quite open and he supports his body with his elbow to pay full attention to Mark instead, “What the hell happened?”

“The donor’s remaining kidney surprisingly thrombosed. Dr. Yang found that it had a major stenosis. Basically it’s dead, and we now only have one good kidney between them.” Mark heaved a deep sigh.

“Wow.” Lucas was amused of Mark’s explanation before he lays himself again on the bed. “Why did Dr. Yang not open it up?”

"She did!" Mark now turns his body to face Lucas. "..but the entire vessel dissected and clotted off."

"What happens now?" Lucas grows another curiousity as Mark's case is always fun for him to talk about.

“There was a meeting between the attendings to decide where the kidney will go to. Legally we could not just put the kidney back to the donor because he has signed the paperwork and it's past the red line!"

"Then why don't they? It was already in the recipient's OR, though." Lucas takes out his handphone to browse if there is a similar case happens in other hospital.

"Dr. Yang does not want to close up without the kidney because it would give her a debilitating condition." Mark heaved a deep breathe, he surely shows that he is not on the same boat with the said Dr. Yang.

"No offense, but the donor could go on a dialysis until we find him another donor." Lucas said, to which Mark preached on him.

"Technically, you are right, but there's no formal protocol about that in this hospital, so people are having debates."

"So they haven't decided anything?"

Mark slips an ironic laugh, "If they have decided something, they should have paged me by now. This thing makes me anxious.”

“I surely have missed out so much.” Lucas rubs his eyes as he places himself to sit on the remaining space on bed that does not even fit is whole body.

“Man, you’re basically benched since John Doe.” Mark scoffed.

“You mean, Kim Jungwoo.”

“So you even named him now?”

“He remembers his name this morning, also where and when he was born, basically an ID template information.” Lucas answered, reminisced how Jungwoo would wake up with a new knowledge that he did not even understand how he acquired it. As a matter of this progress, Lucas is hopeful about his full recovery anytime soon.

“You did not sleep again last night?” Mark hissed upon looking at his friend’s dull face. Eye bags are getting darker and his cheeks look slimmer.

“Jungwoo only slept like 2 hours and he would wake up screaming in the middle of the night from what he called nightmare. His head would be banging in fuzz and things like that keep happening since he moved in.”

“You sound like my auntie who just gave birth to my nephew.”

Lucas only giggled at his friend’s sarcastic remark. He knows that Mark still disagreed to his idea of taking care of Jungwoo, especially with his career now is at stake because Lucas could only assist one surgery a day since he has to go home and see Jungwoo.

“I appreciate your concern but I am assured this won’t last long. He will recover soon and with this basic information, it would be a bit easier for the police to track him down.”

Mark places himself to sit down as well and nods at Lucas before he takes out the pager in his pocket. “Is he still following the treatment procedure with Dr. Jung—“ Mark’s words cut as he tried to remember the name of the doctor that Lucas specifically booked for Jungwoo’s therapy session.

“Jaehyun. Yes. Been a week now. I guess the therapy works well because he is progressing and he could comprehend many things now.”

Mark clicks his fingers. “I asked my colleague from neurosurgeon association yesterday and he told me that Dr. Jung Jaehyun is the senior resident of Dr. Georg's." Mark gulped upon spelling the name of Hongkong's neurosurgeon prodigy. "His service must be quite expensive, though.”

“Well, it’s not like I have a choice. I mean, not only he is good at what he is doing, but also he is a Korean.. so?”

Mark’s and Lucas’ pagers suddenly ring in unison. Lucas hurrily gets off of the bead and puts on the coat that he hung low on the other bedstead as he saw the 911-code along with the caller of his pager.

“Yeah.” Mark said as he stands up and opens the door for him and his friend. “Whatever helps you sleep at night, dude.”

 

Brain Health Center - Hongkong Authority Hospital

17:00p.m.

It has been way too often for what he is doing now that Lucas’ body memorise the routin even before his head proceeds. His feet now step in the lobby of the Brain Health Center located across the main Hospital area where Lucas is working. He takes off his white coat and hangs it on his arm, leaving him only with a pair of black pants and long-sleeves navy blue shirt blouse that drapes on his body. It does not take long until the entity he has been waiting comes out of one of the therapy room with the familiar smile he plastered on. Even after almost two weeks Lucas is together with Jungwoo, the taler is still stunned on how Jungwoo could pull his outfit better than him.

The denim pairs, plain grey shirt and the bomber jacket he wears looks perfectly fit as if they belong to Jungwoo instead of Lucas.

“Hi, Jungwoo.” Lucas learns this morning how Jungwoo likes being called by the name after days he fights to remember his own. The smile on Jungwoo’s face grows even wider upon Lucas’ voice.

“Doctor.” Jung Jaehyun, who follows behind Jungwoo, offers a handshake with Lucas which the latter does not only respond with a hand, but also pulls him in a short hug.

Not many people, even Mark, knows that Jaehyun is a close sunbae of Lucas since they were in the Seoul. Both aspired to be renowned neurosurgeons in the world and seems to Lucas that Jaehyun has started to gain the recognition now, as the older has started the career four years before Lucas. They keep their close relationship in discreet because they are afraid if things happen and Jaehyun favored

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter