Special Chapter: "The Reason" (part 1)

The Reason
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mark lied in prone position, his belly flat on the board, paddling gently on the waves. As he felt his board being picked up by the wave, he gave three more powerful , to match his speed with the coming wave.

Keeping his eyes directed to the wave approaching, he placed his hands under his shoulders on the surfboard, then pushed his self up while springing off his legs and toes. His pop up helped him pick up the height and now he's standing on the board, one foot in front of the other, trying his damnest not to fall and crash on the waves.

 

"YOOOOHOOOOOO!!! Way to go, Tuan!!!!"

Mark could only grin widely as he successfully rode the wave until it tapered. He brushed his wet purple hair and flashed a toothy smirk to his good old friend waving at him from the shore, holding his camcorder. Mark didn't forget to do a salute, which became his trademark for his blog's followers. 

He jumped off the board when he reached the shore, bumping fists with his overly excited and proud friend. "That was so cool, man!" Peniel said, playfully punching him on his stomach. He crossed his arms over it forming a shield, and gave a small jab back to Peniel making the latter laugh while closing the camcorder. 

"Thanks, man." Mark said, taking the camcorder back. "Now, it's your turn. Try harder and beat me, please."

"Yeah! Yeah! Just stand there and watch."

Mark laughed and watched the other run to get on his own surfing board.

 

Him and Peniel have decided to go here in Malibu Lagoon State Beach which is known to be the Surfrider Beach because of its reputation as a premier surfing beach here in his hometown, Los Angeles. Last week, Mark received a few dm's from his followers, requesting him to go surfing. Mark, being born and raised in L.A. knows how to surf, but since he stayed in Korea for a number of years, he somehow forgotten how to surf. It's a good thing that all he needed was a short briefing from the surf instructor and he was already able to surf successfully. If he failed earlier, he doesn't think Peniel will let him live after that.

Peniel, is his good friend whom he met in Chicago, a year before he went to Korea. Peniel is older than him by a few months, but he often forgets it because the older likes to act like he is younger. Peniel also enjoys outdoor activities, including the exciting and even the heart stopping ones. Now that Mark has been staying here in L.A. for four months, Peniel has been with him in each of his adventures. The guy is a good company, he could say. Even his followers liked Peniel and even requesting for the older to go with him back to Korea.

 

"What time is your flight?" Peniel asked.

"Later at 3:30." Mark answered as he handed one burger to the older. 

They are here at his place. Although he is at his hometown and his parents are here too, Mark still wanted to stay at his own place. His parents were always supportive of whatever he wants to do so that was not a problem. A while ago, he drove to their house and said goodbye to his parents since he'll be flying back to Korea later.

"You already packed?"

He nodded. "Yup. Finished yesterday."

"Whoa. Too excited?" And there's that hint of teasing in the older's voice. Mark wanted to roll his eyes, so he did. Maybe he is excited, but does Peniel need to know? 

Sure, Peniel knows. Peniel knows about him, and what he has left in Korea... and what he looks forward to seeing again. It's been more than a year since he left, and two years since he last talked to him. Will he be able to see him when he gets back?

Will he let him?

 

I love you, Mark. But sometimes, love isn't enough.

 

Those words remained with him. Can he face him again? Is he ready?

Is he?

 

**********

 

Mark reached out his hand to pay the cab driver the fare. He stepped out of the car with his bags and gazed over the apartment where he will be staying at. It is a new one since he already sold his previous place when he left. He is now staying at Itaewon.

He walked inside and familiarized his self with his new home. He decided to unpack his things first before taking a rest. He'll eat dinner out, after he rests. 

 

When evening came, Mark got up and took a quick shower before heading out to eat dinner somewhere. He hailed a cab to take him to a nearby restaurant and ate peacefully. Halfway through his meal, he took a picture of his food and of himself eating, then sent it to Jaebum. He hasn't told his bestfriend yet that he's already here in Seoul. The next thing he hears is his phone ringing, Jaebum's name flashing on his screen. 

Mark smirked as he answered. "Yeah man? You missed me this much?"

"Don't flatter yourself too much, Mark." And he didn't missed out on hearing that hiss. Who'd thought he'd miss hearing it? "Just checking if you're really here in Seoul."

"You asked me to come, didn't you?"

"I know. I just thought you chickened out or something. And that will not be acceptable. As my bestfriend, you ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter