Chapter 8~Bang Yong Guk

Night Warrior

GDragon’s plan was simple: get in, act as guard, gain trust, and get out with the girl. President Kim, the very man they were after for revenge, gave Guk the tour of the house and even explained the security system. Kim had explained that due to his busy schedules, he was often out of town on business. In fact, he only had so long to introduce him to the role of guard before he had to leave again.
GDragon supplied the forms and the references needed to guarantee him the job. It had worked all too well. It was the simplest plan.
The girls seemed smaller than he remembered. The youngest, Miryo, the one they were after, seemed to be only about 15 or 16. Hyuna, the one with the strong elbow, seemed about 18. She was… cute. She had a certain look to her. But she was small. She shouldn’t have been so difficult to deal with. BYG felt ashamed of himself for not being able to deal with her the first time.
BYG also got a good look at the guy who took the girls away last night. Preppy boy from that private school. Yet he had a different sort of feel to him as well. Perhaps he wasn’t THAT preppy. Seemed to have some street smarts about him anyways. But BYG didn’t like him. And he didn’t like Hyuna. And he didn’t like Miryo. He didn’t like President Kim or his wife. He detested them all. Best to get this done quickly, he thought.

“Anyways,” President Kim continued after JunHyung left, “all you have to do is keep your eye on them. No weapons of any sort. You are required to carry a cellular phone with you at all times and answer whenever I call you. The girls each have one as well. You are to give them their space when asked but don’t stray off. Answer whenever they call you. You are to stay in your part of the house and are never permitted to be near their bedrooms. Lock the house at night. And drive the girls where they need to go.”
“Father, I can drive myself!” Hyuna said in agitation. The girl had fight in her.
“I know, but I’ll feel better with Mr. Guk driving you around instead since he’s supposed to be with you anyhow.” Kim responded.
“I don’t need any stupid man sitter.” Hyuna mumbled as she pushed her way into the house. Guk’s mouth twisted into a smile.
“She’ll take awhile to get used to you.” President Kim stated.
“I like you!” Miryo smiled. “You seem strong! I’m sure you will take very good care of us, Mr. Guk!”

“You can call me Big if you want. Or Guk.” BYG replied.
“You see, on friendly terms already!” she smiled. “I’ll help Hyuna to like you, too!” She ran inside and the mother started down the steps.
Four men from the security team walked past on their way out and began to load up their van.
“I’m trusting in you, Mr. Guk. You have a flawless record so I’m sure you won’t disappoint.” President Kim shook Guk’s hand before going towards his car.
“Don’t worry, Mr. Kim, I’m very dependable and will follow my orders.” Guk called back.
He watched as the President and his wife drove away.
The security team started to get into their car.
“See you later, boys.” BYG smirked with a wave.
“Work hard, Mr. Guk.” TOP replied sarcastically as he entered the driver’s side. SeungRi got into the passenger seat as HimChan and JongUp piled into the back. The van drove away.

BYG smiled to himself and looked around. Too easy. He went back in to find Miryo in the family room with some girl group singing on television. She danced along to the performance.

Hyuna sat at the kitchen table with her headphones in as she worked on homework. BYG didn’t really know what to do yet. His orders were to stay there for a week first and gain the trust of both girls and their father.

“Sit down!” Miryo called to him.

He nodded and pulled out a bar seat on the other side of the kitchen. He watched Hyuna as she studied.

How could she have gotten away?he thought.
“So tell us about yourself, Mr. Guk.” He heard Hyuna’s voice.
Her eyes studied him.
“You can call me Big or Guk.” He said flatly.
“Tell me about yourself, BYG.” She corrected.
Annoying girl.
“Hm, I’ve been in the security business since I was a teen.”

“And how old are you now?” she pressed.
“Twenty-three.” He answered quickly.
“Wife?”
“No.”
“Girlfriend?”
“No.”
“Family?”
“…Younger brother.”
“Interesting.” Her eyes narrowed.
Stupid! Why did you tell her about Zelo?! …Doesn’t matter. I don’t have to say anything else.
Something about this girl was… weird. She was… fascinating. But he didn’t like her.
“What about you, then?” he asked her.
She looked up, seeming surprised that he was talking first this time.
“What about me?” she asked.
“Boyfriend?”
“…No.”
“Hm.”
“What’s that mean?” she asked, sitting back in her chair.

“Then who was that boy outside?”
“Just a friend from school.”
“Okay.” He said flatly. He watched her as her eyes narrowed more in suspicion.

“Why do you ask?” she finally asked.
“Just wondering.” BYG enjoyed getting her agitated. He was going to enjoy this job.

Hyuna ignored him the rest of the day. She made herself and Miryo lunch and they went about their own business. Miryo disappeared to her room, leaving BYG to watch over Hyuna alone. He strained and listened though. Miryo was the one that GDragon wanted. Not Hyuna.
BYG began to explore the house as guarding began to get boring. He ventured off for awhile before hearing music coming from a separate room. He cautiously rounded the corner and stopped. A piano was set in the middle of a room of windows. Hyuna sat with her back to him, playing a beautiful song. The melody was easy enough but her fingers moved quickly and easily over the keys. She hummed a song to the tune.
BYG stood and stared for a moment in fascination. The girl seemed so… peaceful. Tranquil. Totally different from her ornery personality from earlier. She seemed almost sweet.
The tune came to an end and she turned around. She paused when she saw him and BYG suddenly felt unsure. Her clear eyes stared into his and he began to slowly walk forward, feeling awkward.
“You’re uh… good at playing.” He said.
She was quiet for a moment as she gathered her sheet music.
“Thank you.” She said.
“Do you… want to do music… professionally?” BYG found himself actually curious.
“No.” she answered flatly.
“Oh. What… what do you want to do then?” Why was he still talking?

She stopped again and looked at him. He could see confusion in her eyes as well.
“I want to be a teacher.” She stated.
“Oh. Like for high school?”
“No, elementary school. I want to help children. I’ve been… studying a lot so that I can get into a college.”
“Oh.”
Hyuna got up and walked past him.
“What about you?” she called over her shoulder, inviting him to follow. “Have you always wanted to be a… security guard?”
What was she asking him? What he wanted to do? There was… nothing. He had… nothing. His life was the rebels now. That was it.
“Uh, I don’t know.” He answered honestly, suddenly feeling confused from a swarm of emotions.
Miryo was back in the kitchen and he felt relieved that she was still around. He couldn’t lose track of her.
She seemed upset about something. Her arms were crossed and she sat back in her chair, scowling at a piece of paper on the table. She slammed a pencil down and stomped towards the stairs.
“I HATE art!” she stated. “I hate it! So what if someone can draw a picture. I don’t care! I’m going to be a performer, NOT an artist.” She continued to ramble as she went upstairs.
“I’m going up too.” Hyuna said as she followed.
BYG was not allowed to follow them up and that made him feel uneasy. He paced the kitchen for awhile as he listened for movement upstairs. He heard music playing. Soon he sat down at the table and looked at the paper and pencil. His boredom overcame him and he began to sketch to pass time.
“What are you doing?” Hyuna asked and he looked up to see her paused in the kitchen entrance, looking at him.
He quickly rose and took the paper behind his back.
“Nothing.” He said.
He and Hyuna had a stand-off of silence for a moment. She walked towards the counter and he walked away. He threw the paper into a trash can as he exited. This job was going to be boring!