Best of Friends [CS]

Torn Between Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi Sooyoung’s POV

 

 

    I am sure. I am completely sure of the fact that yesterday’s the last day I’m in doubt. 

    Facing in front, my best friend carefully tuck her hair behind her ear, trying to have a clearer view of the paper she’s signing. We’re currently inside my house, with us hanging out in the living room, seated on the floor and opposite each other. I watched how she bit her lower lip, contemplating what to write on that paper we got from the college we went to last week. I just can’t say no this woman in front of me, having to come wherever she wanna go— although, not for the next few years, since she applied to a fashion school while I applied to a local one. It’s making me sad that we’ll be separating soon as she decided to stay in a dormitory near her school, since the travel from her home would be tiring. How am I supposed to handle that after realizing now that I am completely in love with her?

    “Soo, are you okay?”

    I shook my thoughts after hearing her call my name. After all these years, I’m only realizing now that my name actually sound beautiful— well, she made it beautiful. 

    “Huh?”

    “You look down, what’s troubling you?” She said worriedly, standing up from her seat to sit beside me. “Have you filled up yours?”

    I averted my head down at the paper I’m supposed to be paying attention to and sighed. Oh, right, I’m pursuing a music course, majoring in composition. It took me a lot of time to think about my college and what I really want. And then, Tiffany, my best friend right here, encouraged me to go on with music, since that’s what I’m really passionate about.

    “I’m not done with this,” I said, looking back at her. The moment I did, she’s looking at me intently, making my heart ride that beat she’s been giving me recently. She’s really gorgeous.

    “Let me see…”

    I gulped down the chunk of saliva that has formed inside my mouth as she began checking my paper, my attention all focused on her, afraid that she might hear how loud my heart has been responding. Stop it, Mr. Heart.

    “A-Are you really going to the city?” I said inaudibly, almost a whisper. I had to gather all the courage to ask that question to her as my hands started sweating. I just don’t know what to do once she leaves.

    Tiffany put the paper down and turned to me. I felt her hands cup my face as she made me face her, my heart beating faster. It slowed down when I saw the sadness painted her face, striking me right into the heart.

    “I am,” she replied, disappointment in her tone. “It is a really good school and after convincing my parents, they finally accepted it. This is my one and only opportunity.”

    Tiffany has always been obsessed with the idea of fashion. Count the sparkly bangles that matched her outfit today, it’s obvious that she’s all for it. I remember when we were still in middle school, she used to bring me colorful accessories that I’m never really into, telling me to wear them so we could match together. I only made her cry after hearing that I’m giving them away to a junior I know.

    “Is that so?” With dejection in my voice, I could only drop my head back down. Seeing this, she immediately engulfed me in a tight hug, always finding a way to bury her face in the crook of my neck, her way of compensating whenever I become sad.

    “Please don’t be sad!” She exclaimed, tightening her arms around me. “I can’t stand being far away from you too!”

    “I know…” I sighed, wrapping my arms around her as well. We stayed like that for a moment when she suddenly pushed herself away and held me by the arms.

    “Why don’t you apply in another college near mine so we could live together instead?” She said with such hope in her eyes.

    It was a really good idea and yes, I’ve thought about it for a long time now. I mean, why shouldn’t I just go somewhere near her if I can’t really stand being far away from her? 

    The city is alright for me. I guess?

    There are better education system there, especially with my course.

    Maybe I can find a school I afford. 

    I mean, we’re not rich but we’re not that poor either—

    All that thinking went to waste after knowing I can’t really choose that. First, the fact that it’s in the city, automatically means the colleges are really expensive. Second, I could work while I’m staying there but then it led me to the realization that I can’t really do anything with my bony figure. And lastly, Tiffany came from an affluent family, I can’t just depend on her even if she’d offer me help. I don’t want to be some gold-digging friend. I will never be that.

    “I could manage it for you,” she said in delight, clasping her hands together. Yep, she finally said it.

    I shook my head, smiling apologetically. “Fany, no— I can’t do that.”

    “But why?”

    I could only shake my head repeatedly. When I say it’s difficult to convince her, it really is. Tiffany doesn’t simply accept rejection unless you show her you really mean it. Although, sometimes, I just bribe her with some stuff and she lets me off the hook.

    “I really can’t, Fany-ah. I’m serious,” I said truthfully. “I can even cook you all your favorites just so you won’t insist repeatedly about it.”

    Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter