Chapter 1

1,000 Years

 

“Let’s meet again in 1,000 years.”

 

“Okay!”

 

Loud booms disrupted the peaceful night. Sounds of screams could be heard everywhere. Fires raged as dark smoke filled the night sky.

 

The normally quiet village had been thrown into disarray. The village was being attacked by its rival clan.

 

The enemies attacked in the middle of the night, leaving the villagers no time to escape.

 

Marked warriors killed anyone that crossed their paths, even the women, children and the elderly were not spared. They were determined to wipe out the entire village.

 

Two figures hid in a grass field not far from the village. A boy, who looked no older than 16, huddled next to a girl.

 

“Chaeng, I’m scared.” The girl whispered.

 

The boy wrapped his arms around the girl protectively. “Don’t worry. I will protect you.”

 

“They are going to kill us, aren't they?” The girl asked.

 

The boy didn't answer. Instead he wrapped his arms tighter around the girl.

 

“I don't want to be separated from you Chaeng.” She said with tears shining in her eyes.

 

“Me neither.” He kissed her softly on the forehead. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” She looked into the eyes of the only boy she had ever loved. “Promise me that you will always be with me.”

 

He nodded. “No matter what will happen, our hearts will always be together. And even if we do get separated, we will find a way back to each other.” He pointed to the stars. “The stars will be our guide.”

 

“Even if it takes 1,000 years?”

 

“We will meet again no matter what, even if it does take 1,000 years.”

 

Suddenly they could hear footsteps. They looked up and saw a trail of light torches approaching. They pulled each other closer.

 

“Promise me, we will meet again in 1,000 years?” She asked softly.

 

“I promise.”

 

They held their breaths as they watched the warriors got closer. Neither of them moved as they prayed that the group would not discovered them.

 

Suddenly, a loud cry rang out.

 

“They are over here!”

 

The boy pulled the girl up immediately and tried to escape. However, their path was blocked by a group of men.

 

“Kill them!”

 

He stood in front of her and used his body to shield her. The warriors waved his arm and plunged his sword deep into his body.

 

“NO!”

 

She cried out as she watched his body fell onto the ground.

 

She looked on helplessly as the men surrounded her. They waved their weapons at her and she felt a sharp pain in her abdomen. She cried out his name just before everything went black.

 

“Chaeng!”