And dreamed of paradise

Paradise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: its better to watch the mv first before reading, so that y'all could picture what I'm trying to describe :)

 

A drabble loosely based on Birds by Imagine Dragons

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joohyun knew she wasn’t born normal, she knew that she’s different, different from the normal kids her age. That was what her mother always told her as she grew up.

 

She was just a kid back then, and didn’t understand much about who, what she really was. All she knew was bird-like feathers would appear on some parts of her body, especially on her arms, face and the crown of her head. She could grow wings on her back. Her mother never failed to remind her that they weren’t normal, and she should keep that in mind. Five-year-old Joohyun just nodded innocently.

 

Running to the top of the hill that was located just near their house, little Joohyun hastened her little steps while her mother was just laughed at how excited she was that time. Reaching the top of the hill, Joohyun told her mother to walk faster. The older woman just smiled at how energetic her daughter was.

 

The weather that day was perfect, and sunset was just about to set down. Eager Joohyun smiled widely as her mother finally reached her side. Joohyun’s eyes sparkle in amazement as she looked at her mother who smoothly grew out her wings, which made some part of her face and arm grew some feathers.

 

Following her mother’s action, Joohyun grew out her cute, tiny wings, which was way smaller than her mother’s. The little girl didn’t mind, as she knew one day she’ll be as awesome as her mother. Reaching out to her mother’s arm, little Joohyun finally flew around the sky, arm held tight by her mother who was flying beside her. They were happy back then, no one would, could judge them for being so different. Flying on the sky, through the clouds, that was Joohyun’s happiest moment of her life.

 

It was only two of them, her mother and her. Her mother is the only family Joohyun had left, the older woman is like her best friend and Joohyun would never trade her mother for anything.

 

But their life wasn’t not all rainbow and sunshine, especially when you’re born differently. It was Joohyun’s first day at her new school and it would be a lie if she’s not nervous. In fact, the little girl was petrified as she was scared of people finding out about her secret.

 

Her mother assured her that all is fine and gave her a pendant, bird-shaped pendant made from wood.

 

“Don’t worry too much, Hyun.” Her mother said and kissed her cheeks affectionately.

 

Just like that, all of Joohyun’s worries vanished to thin air.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

She was always a loner. Playing with other students there weren’t really her cup of tea. Especially when she’s so used to being alone. But today, she’s willing to try and at least communicate and make friends with some students in the playground.

 

Feeling determined, Joohyun jogged towards a group of girls she saw earlier from the corner of her eyes, who were playing dolls. But luck was not on her side as she accidentally tripped on a crooked pavement, which made her lose her steps and fell down on the hard concrete.

 

Dusting away the dirt on her pants, the little girl realized that all eyes were on her, and the playground suddenly fell into a complete silence. The confused girl looked at those eyes that were on her. Her nightmare came true as she realized that her abnormality was shown in front of the whole school.

 

Some of the students laugh, but most of them were terrified of her. All those laughs and gasps from the people around her made the poor girl run away from there. Tears were welling on her eyes as she ran straight to her house.

 

As soon as she arrived in her room, Joohyun finally broke down and cried her heart out.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

The whole incident made her hate herself, hate how not-normal she was.

 

It was one of their normal routine to fly around the sky that day and as usual her mother reached out her hand, waiting for Joohyun to do the same.

 

But the girl just run away from there, making the other woman worried.

 

Joohyun hated herself.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

As she grew older, she started to distance herself from people, even from her mother. The kids at school would call her mean and ruthless names.

 

Joohyun hated that.

 

People would creep behind her just to catch her off guard, so that her feathers would appear, only for them to call her names again.

 

Joohyun hated that.

 

Her lockers would get vandalized with drawing of how much of a freak she was.

 

Joohyun hated that.

 

Looking at herself in the mirror, the girl plucked off the feathers on her cheeks, because she hated how she actually looked like.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

It was one of the days where she finally had enough.

 

Snatching the pendant off her neck that her mother put on her a while ago, th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter