Getting Ready

Will You Be My Valentine?

Valentine’s Day finally arrived the next morning. I woke up feeling sick, not physically sick, but mentally sick. I just wanted to get this day over with. Meet the guy, have some dinner, come back home and kick it on my comfy sofa.

Nayoung, oh Nayoung ah, she woke up in unbelievably good spirits again. She tried to get me to go with her to get a manicure and pedicure but I flat out refused. She was in such a great mood that she only asked me twice before giving up. Good thing she got that text message yesterday!

Since today was Tuesday, we both took personal days off work just for this holier-than-thou event. So while she went to the nail salon in the morning, I chilled on my computer with a bowl of cereal and milk, doing my usual computer business: responding to emails, reading the news, watching clips of random shows on YouTube, and browsing through Facebook.

A few hours later, Nayoung came back with perfectly polished and shaped pretty-in-pink nails on her hands and feet. I have to say, it fit her cute and bubbly personality quite well. We (by ‘we’ I really mean Nayoung) spent most of the afternoon getting ready. I guess this was extra special for her because usually she got ready pretty quickly. While she took her time showering, I lounged peacefully on the couch, reading my book, watching tv, doing anything but thinking about tonight’s event. I think I was secretly trying to convince myself I didn’t have to go.

4 o’clock rolled around and by that time, Nayoung was already threatening that if I didn’t get up and start getting ready, she would cut the promised 2 weeks of lunch to only one week. So I finally decided that perhaps I should shift myself into the shower just to get her off my back.

I came out later, dressed in my usual casual attire, and resumed my position on the couch waiting for my hair to air dry for a bit before blow drying it. Of course doing this made Nayoung go into her scary threatening mode again. I don’t know what she was panicking about! I’m never late! If Yoochun said the driver will be here by 6:30 then I’ll be ready by 6:25!

Finally, I decided it was time to blow dry my hair in the bathroom. When I was done with that, I went back to my room and did my makeup as per Nayoung’s request. On went the B.B. cream, primer, eyeliner, a little bit of sparkles over that, chapstick, lip gloss, and finally my perfume. I didn’t look half bad!

Walking around the room, I gathered the things I needed to bring. I shoved my phone, credit card, ID, some cash, house keys, and chapstick into my wristlet and decided that that was all I really needed to take with me. Slipping into my dress, I made sure that I looked at least somewhat presentable before walking out of my room.

Nayoung gasped when she saw me. “Jieun ah, you look awesome! That dress looks so good on you! And the makeup and hair too! WOW!”

“Komawo Nayoung ah, but YOU, you clearly look a million times better” I said pointing to her entire body.

“Yoochun-sshi will like it right?” she asked hopefully.

“Trust me, if by some 0.0001% chance he doesn’t like it, there will be twenty other guys who’ll take you out to dinner. Seriously, probably even some girls too” I joked.

I don’t get it. We’re the exact same height and have similar body proportions, yet Nayoung could make herself look like a goddess. I, on the other hand, didn’t look bad, but I was nowhere near Nayoung’s level. Oh well, good thing dressing up wasn’t supposed to be my thing anyways.

Ding-dong!

Nayoung looked at me in surprise. 6:30 already?! She looked at her watch. Yep. Both of us grabbed our stuff and went to answer the door. There stood a well dressed man.

“Annyeonghaseyo ladies. My name is Driver Park and I’ll be your chauffeur to the restaurant this evening. If you both are ready, please come with me. The car is waiting outside the complex,” he said.

The two of us scrambled to put on our heels and we followed the driver out. As soon as the car came into view, our mouths dropped like a ton of bricks.

“C…c…c….car?” Nayoung stuttered in obvious shock.

No, definitely not a car…….

 

 

 

A limo more like it.