tWeNty-FoUr

Starry Night

"Told you I solved that mystery," Jungkook says after we've been tangled up in each other's arms for a while, listening to the slowing rain outside. "Twice."

I smile into his chest. "I never doubted. You're Nancy goddamn Drew, after all."

"And you're Sherlock ing Holmes."

"If we start our own detective agency, I want both of those names painted on the door, just like that."

"My parents should have named their shop 'The Detective Agency.'"

I chuckle and he pretends to bite my neck, and that makes me squeal. He just holds me tighter. Fine by me, because I can't stop touching him. His sharp jawline. His eyebrows. The curving ridge of muscle above his hips. I've never been so close to him, and there's so much begging to be explored.

But when my stomach growls, we both realize how late it is. Not exactly how late, because both our phones are dead, and Jungkook's fancy compass - our only source of time - is currently sitting inside the pocket of his jeans, buried in mud outside the tent. But we've been at this detectiving for a while now, and I'm in need of things that are stashed in the other tent. Like food. Wet wipes. Dry clothes. Okay, maybe I'm not in a hurry for those, but when Jungkook volunteers to crawl beneath the canopy to the smaller tent, I add that to the list, and he bravely extricates himself from our sleeping bag.

The other tent is only a few feet away, and it's silly, but I hate for him to go that far. As I tie back the mesh flaps of our door to open it up, the sight of him crawling into the second tent's entrance has my complete attention. "That's an interesting view," I tell him from the open door of our tent.

"I aim to please," he calls back.

He has to make two trips, and between them, ducks outside into the rain for a couple of minutes. Jungkook in the woods. Now would be a good time for a photo. But when he comes back, he has one of our water bottles, which he hands to me through the door, shivering, and dives back into the other tent. This time, he emerges wearing boxers and tosses me a T-shirt. He's also raided our food stash, yay!

Lying on our stomachs with our heads sticking outside the door flap, we set up the one-burner camping stove under the canopy. The stove is just a tiny bottle of fuel with four prongs that unfold above it to hold a pan. We heat up water for hot chocolate, which is inside two brown packs of Nescafe that Jungkook brought. There are also a million other things in each ration bag: a pastry bar, crackers, dried fruit, and holiest of holies, a packet of peanut butter.

"I thought you might like that," Jungkook says with a smile as we look through the contents of the meal packs. There are spoons, napkins, matches, and even a tiny bottle of hot sauce and some candy. The entree gets heated up inside a flameless heater bag that needs to be filled with a little water to activate the heating element. It doesn't taste quite as good as Seolhyun's gourmet freeze-dried camp meals, but I'm starving, and the peanut butter and crackers make up for everything.

After we've eaten and cleaned up, Jungkook breaks out his journal and maps, and I lie on my side, watching him recalculate the last leg of our trip to Aspan Park. "Six hours of walking," he says. "Maybe even seven with long breaks."

"That's not too bad."

"Nope."

"Huh. I thought it would be farther." We both look at the map that's unfolded atop his journal. "You sure you want to go to the star party with me?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"It'll be a lot of people I don't know, and some people I see at club meetings every month."

"And Solbin."

"I'll need to use her telescope to take decent photos, and setting them up also takes a lot of time. It could be boring for you, just standing there while the rest of us star nerds look through lenses and try to get face time with Jung Soyeon."

"I don't know who that is, but I'm assuming from that quiver in your voice that she's someone important."

"She only has an astronomical law named after her and figured how to estimate the distance between galaxies. No big deal."

He smiles. "Impressive."

"Anyway, I'm just saying that you might hate the star party."

"Don't worry, I won't be bored. I'll be with you. Besides, I'm interested in whatever you like."

"Yeah?"

"Meteor showers are cool. You can take lots of cool pictures and talk galaxies," he says. "And whenever you're ready to leave, we head back to civilization. Solbin's not our only option for transportation."

"A regular bus runs up there several times a day," I confirm. "I know from my research."

"I've got a park bus schedule in here somewhere," he says, rummaging through a pile of papers stuck between pages of his journal. "It's from last year, but I doubt much has changed."

As he's looking for it, something catches my eyes in his journal, and I stick my fingers on the corner of the page to stop him from flipping. "What's this?"

"Ugh, don't look," he says, covering it with his hand.

"Why?"

"Because it's embarrassing."

"Well, now I'm going to just forget it," I tease, tugging his fingertips. "Show me."

He groans, but release the page. I look over his arm and see drawings of people. They look like anime characters, a bit stylized, with simple, clean lines and big eyes. It takes me a moment to realize they're all girls. The same girl. Repeated over and over, from different viewpoints. Sitting at a desk, bent over schoolwork. Eating at a picnic table. Reading on the stairs. Drinking coffee at a cafe. They're mostly drawn from behind her, so there's only a partial view of her face, but . . .

But . . .

She has dark, long flowy hair and hair accessories, and she's wearing dresses and/nor skirts.

I slowly turn the page to find more drawings. The same girl, drawn dozen of times. Each one is dated in Jungkook's careful, neat handwriting. They go back to last fall. Last spring. Early this summer.

The newest one is from last week. The girl is standing on a balcony, looking down with a telescope.

The drawings are flattering. The drawings are sad. The drawings are filled with longing. Jungkook's heart on the page.

Tenderness and pain rise to my throat. It's a bittersweet pain, one that's tarnished by how awful this year has been for both of us. I tried so hard and for so long to push al my feelings for him away, to tamp them down into a tiny box and hide it somewhere dark in my mind. I did everything I could to forget.

And Jungkook did all he could to remember.

Tears drop off my cheek onto the paper, splattering. I try to wipe it away with my finger, but the ink bleeds.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "They're beautiful and I ruined them."

He shuts the journal and pulls me closer to swipe away my tears with his thumb. "It's okay," he murmurs, kissing my eyelids. "I don't need them anymore. I have you."

(∩。·o·。)っ.゚☆。

The next day, I beg him for one more day in our tree cathedral. We'll have plenty of time to get to the start party's final night, which is the best time to see the meteor shower anyway. Our phones are dead, so I can't tell Solbin to expect us a day late, but what does it matter? She'll still be there. And likely she'll be busy enjoying the star party, she won't even notice. The only thing I see as a potential problem is Eomma, because I did promise I'd text when I arrived at the star party. But I also told her we'd be getting there late tonight, and what difference would one day make? Besides, I'm hiking, not taking a scheduled bus. Surely, she'll understand that this isn't an exact science. I can call her from Solbin's phone the minute we get to Apsan Park tomorrow.

I argue all of this to Jungkook, but honestly, I didn't need to convince him. He is completely agreeable, and we stay put.

The storm has passed, so we spend the day doing practical things. Washing mud out of our clothes in the river. Collecting firewood and putting it in the sun to dry. We also spend it doing impractical things. Bathing in the river together. (Less bathing, more touching.) Reading the manga book Jungkook brought in his backpack. (Less reading, more touching.) Taking a nap. (Less sleeping, more that nearly permanently blinds Jungkook when a tent pol snaps.)

My hives are still there, but I'm not clawing at my arms as much. Partly because I'm keeping up with medicating, and partly because I caved and let Jungkook slather me in the stinky sativa salve. I don't think I've ever been so relaxed -laxation, Jungkook dubs it, and says he'll make a fortune marketing it as a cure for allergies and stress.

But all good things must come to an end, and when we run out of condoms, we know it's time to go.

Goodbye, camp.

As we're packing everything up, I check to make sure my camera is still working, and it strikes me that I haven't taken a single photo on this trip. It's not just that. I haven't obsessively checked my messages or my social media feeds. I don't know what's trending, and I haven't posted anything. I can't check views or likes or favorites or reblogs. And I have no idea what's going on the news.

"We disconnected," I tell Jungkook.

"I know. Isn't it great?"

It actually is. Maybe I wouldn't want to do it forever, but I didn't die, either.

We've waited as long as we can, leaving well after lunch. My pack feels heavier, somehow, even though there's exactly the same amount of things inside. I think it's reluctant to leave as I am.

But it's time to go.

We walk through a string of meadows all afternoon and have dinner near a lake that's one of largest alpine bodies of water in the province. We're well above five thousand feet, so the water's too cold for swimming, but it's a calming view. Not as calming as laxation, I point out. Jungkook triple-checks: We're definitely out of condoms.

when we're back on the trail again, my mind starts wheeling. We haven't discussed what we're going to do about my father when we get back home. Or anything about the future. I don't want to think about it. I want to stay here. This is impossible, and I know it, but when I start thinking about what awaits us - parents, school, the so-called friends who abandoned us, the looming threat of my father's affair . . . all of this creates doubt in my head. Doubt, worry, and a growing sense of dread.

The sun sets during the final stretch of the hike up the foot-hills. We've connected up to a major trail with official park signs informing distances to several nearby attractions. Apsan Park is outside Queen's Forest in a maintained area. There are several scenic points on and around the mountain, but the one we're headed to, the Northern Viewpoint, is right in front of us, point-five kilometers. The star party is gathered at a small campground below it, just across a road that borders the national park.

An actual road. With actual cars whizzing down it.

I never thought I'd be reluctant to return to civilization.

All my misgivings move to the back of my mind when we spy a big sign for the star party posted at the entrance to a parking lot connected to a small campground. The sign warns the public that they are approaching a protected Dark Sky area, and nothing but red lights are allowed past the campground, to avoid light pollution. The actual viewing area is a quarter mile up a short path that curves around the mountain. Even small amounts of white light are objectionable to astronomers, and many of the cars and RVs here have red tape adhered to their headlights. I'm prepared for this, and have brought along a small red penlight.

"Whoa," Jungkook says. "Lots of people. This is a big viewing party, huh?"

Bigger than I expected. "Maybe we should see if Solbin is down here before we go up to the viewing area. The meteors won't be fully visible for another half hour, at least, so we still have some time."

We walk through the parking lot, and it's jammed with cars. Overflow is parking on the side of the road. People are hauling telescope cases out of their cars - some professional, some not. Several families are here with small children. I try to spot anyone from my club, but it's dark, and the lot is chaotic.

A cedar split-trail fence divides the parking lot and campground. It's half the size of the one we stayed three nights ago, and the individual campsites are all crammed together. It seems to be mostly RVs. A sign we pass as we enter says that it's at capacity.

We walk along the main road circling through the campground, and get only halfway around when someone comes barreling toward us, arms waving.

"Suzy!" It's Solbin, and she slows just in time to throw her arms around my neck. "You're alive."

"Of course I'm alive," I say. "Sorry we're a day late."

Solbin pulls away to blink at Jungkook with wide eyes. "Whoa. You're really here. I mean, hey, Jungkook. It's just weird to see you two together again. But good!"

"It's good to see you too," Jungkook says, mouth quirking up. He gives her a quick hug, and I'm reminded that they've spent more time interacting at school over the last year than I have with either one of them.

Solbin is breathless, looking back and forth between us. When she catches her breath, her brow furrows. "Look, I'm so, so sorry."

I squint at her. "About what?"

"I didn't have a choice. I never would have said anything, but he insisted."

What is she talking about?

"It's bad," she says, face twisting. "I feel like it's all my fault."

"Slow down and tell us what happened," Jungkook says.

Solbin looks over her shoulder. "From what I've been told, Seolhyun's mom called your mom, Suzy. And that's how it all started."

Omo. No, no, no . . .

"Seolhyun's dad got sick," she says, "and they couldn't fly to Switzerland, and then apparently Seolhyun came home with Bogum, and she was supposed to be at that glamping thing with you. But you guys got kicked out?"

My stomach is turning to stone.

"It was Bogum's fault," Jungkook says.

"Oh," she says, distracted for a moment before shaking her head. "So, anyway, your dad called Dr. Choi yesterday, looking for you."

"What?" I say, alarmed.

She nods. "Your dad was really upset, and he said he and your mom has tried to get in touch with you, but you weren't answering texts -"

"Our phones died," I argue, but all I'm think about is that conversation with Eomma at the ranger station three days ago. She knew!

"- and I guess the last time your mom had heard from you, you told her you'd be here at the star party yesterday, so he was freaking out. And Dr. Choi asked me if I knew anything, because your dad was going to call the police and file a missing persons report. And so . . ." She squeezes her eyes shut. "I told him what you texted me a couple days ago. That you were hiking here with Jungkook. That you were supposed to arrive yesterday."

"Oh my," I mumble.

"Dr. Choi called your dad back and told him. And he assured your dad that we would call when you guys got here. But you didn't show up last night -"

"We were just running late!" I say, exasperated.

She nods, looking at Jungkook, who is biting out curses under his breath.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I just overheard a few things," she says. "Your dad is loud when he's angry. He was saying stuff about the Jeons, and how they allowed Jungkook to kidnap you."

"What?" I say, pressing my hands against my temples.

"And I tried to in and defend you, Jungkook," she says, looking over her shoulder again. "But Mr. Bae is . . .  well, he yelled at me, and accused me of helping and abetting -"

"Oh, for the love of Pete," I say. "Wait, wait, wait. You said you overheard . . . you said he yelled at you. On the phone?"

Solbin bites her lips and shakes her head. "I'm so sorry, Suzy. I texted and called you to warn you a couple hours ago, but you didn't answer."

And that's when I look in the direction she's been glancing. The door to an RV swings open, and three people file outside. Dr. Choi in the first. And behind him are my parents.