TwEnTy-OnE

Starry Night

After leaving the falls, we hike the next trail for the rest of the afternoon, communicating only when necessary, and occasionally delving into safe subjects. The national park system. The weather. We maintain a polite distance from each other, as if we're just two acquaintances, sharing the trail. As if we didn't just kiss each other's faces off. As if my entire world hasn't flipped onto its back like some stranded, flailing turtle.

Though we pass a few hikers, when we get to the end of the trail in the early evening, I'm startled to see not only a ranger station, but also an entire campground bustling with people. A road. Cars. The scent of meat cooking on grills. Music playing in someone's RV.

"Camp Euphoria," Jungkook informs me. "The trailhead is here. You need reservations to hike Euphoria Trail at this time of the year. They try to keep the number of people on it at a certain level, so it's not elbow to elbow."

"It looks pretty elbow to elbow now," I say, scanning the campground.

"Everyone wants to walk where Park Jimin took photos," he says. "The trail goes up to the crown, which overlooks the whole park."

I think I've heard about that. It sounds familiar, so it must be a big tourist draw.

"There are campgrounds along the way for people who like a few modern conveniences, but this is probably the biggest one," Jungkook says. "And here's the ranger station I told you about."

The station is small, dark brown log cabin on the edge of the campground. Outside the door stands a board of printed notices - announcements about the weather, the status of each campsite, and which trails are closed. There's even a warning about a mountain lion in the area, several missing people, and another about a small, twin-engine plane that's crashed in the mountains. Hikers are to stay clear of the wreckage until the park can arrange to have it transported.

"What in world?" I murmur, reading the flyers. I'm not sure which notice is worse.

Jungkook doesn't seem worried about the mountain lion, because he taps on the plane-crash announcement and whistles softly. "I've heard about stuff like this. The entire mountain chain is a graveyard for lost planes. It's called the Songnisan Triangle."

"Like the Bermuda Triangle?"

"Just like that. From Daegu to Yeongdeok - basically, a big dead zone over the provinces where planes go down or disappear entirely." The drama in his voice increases. "Some say it's a combination of rapidly changing weather, strong winds, and hidden peaks. But the whole mountain chain has this spooky Area 97 mythos. More than two thousand planes have gone down here since 1960. Some just fell off the radar, never found."

"Whoa," I say, suitably impressed.

His lips pull into a gentle curve - just for a moment. Then he sobers up and goes quiet.

"So, this Euphoria Trail . . . ," I ask, trying to recall his map. "Is that where we'd be going to get to Aspan Peak?"

He shakes his head. "We don't have hiking reservations, and it's headed south. We'd need to go west from here. There's a smaller trail through the backcountry. I've been on it before, so no surprises like the caves yesterday."

"I see."

He gestures toward the ranger station. "Unless you've decided to go home."

Have I? I've been think about that decision the entire afternoon. Along with everything that he told me about homecoming. And about the kiss.

Definitely thinking about the kiss.

I could continue on. (But what if we end up fighting?)

I could call for a ride home. (But what if I regret not staying?)

The energy between us feels heightened, strained, and slightly awkward. But Jungkook is patient, not pushing me to decide, and for that, I'm grateful. He looks at his phone. "Still no services. There should be a phone inside the station."

"I should call eomma, at least," I say. "Just to let her know I'm alive."

His gaze intensifies. He's studying my face, trying to figure out what I'm going to do. If I knew that, I'd just tell him.

"Me too," he finally says. "And I need to report the abandoned gear Seolhyun and Bogum left behind. Shall we?"

I nod and take a deep, steadying breath as we head to the door to the ranger station and step inside.

The single-room cabin is dim and cozy. Though the floor plan is small, the high ceiling is crossed with rough wooden beams, which makes it feel larger. There's a small desk at the front and a rack of local wilderness travel books for sale. IN the middle of the room, a couple of chairs huddle around an old heating stove, and in the back, near a giant wall map of the park, there's an old pay phone.

"Evening," a ranger says with a quiet smile. "We're about to close for the day."

"We'll be quick," Jungkook assures him before gesturing me toward the phone, eyes hooded. "You want to go first?"

I make my way past the chairs while Jungkook begins telling the ranger about Seolhyun and Bogum's abandoned gear. I'm worried that the national park might get judgmental about a couple of teens backpacking alone. But it seems fine, because Jungkook sounds confident and knowledgable, and the ranger is taking him seriously. They aren't paying attention to me, and that gives me time to take a deep breath and focus.

Stay or go?

Go or stay?

If I stay, I don't think Jungkook and I can just forget about everything that's happened and go back to being just friends. That much I know. There's too much history between us, and that kiss pretty much wiped out an entire year's worth of trying to bury old feelings. Now I'm right back where I was, ribs cracked open and heart exposed.

I wish I could ask Eomma for advice, but if she knew I was out here alone with Jungkook. . . Well, it's not so much her I worry about as my dad. But he'd find out eventually. I wish I had the time to think out exactly what I need to say to her. Maybe write out a script. But the station is about to close, and if I'm going to call her, it's now or never.

It takes me a little while to figure out how to use the ancient pay phone, but after reading the posted instructions, I dig out some quarters and slip them inside. Then I dial eomma's cell phone.

"Bae Younghee," eomma's voice says, crackling over the line.

"Eomma?"

"Suzy? Is that you? Are you okay?" She sounds frantic.

"I'm totally fine," I tell her, looking up at the giant map hanging on the wall. "I'm in Queen's Forest."

Her exhalation is loud. "Dammit, Suzy. I was worried. You didn't answer my texts."

"No service out here," I say. "We talked about that, remember?"

"We did. You're right," she says. "But it's a relief to hear your voice. Wait, did you say you're in the national park? Why aren't you at the glamping compound?"

"Um . . ." Do I tell her what happened? I hate lying to her. But if I stay here with Jungkook, I can't tell her that's what I'm doing. Now that I'm forced to make a decision, I close my eyes and just let whatever comes out my mouth be my choice.

One, two, three -

"Remember how I told you we might go on that backcountry trail?" I say. "That's where I am. I'm hiking to the star party."

Oh my, I'm doing this. I'm staying with Jungkook?

I am.

Relief rushes though me, unknotting my shoulder s and loosening my limbs.

"I can barely hear you. Did you say you're hiking to Aspan Park?" Eomma asks, her voice going up an octave. "I thought you were taking a bus. Are you hiking alone?"

"It's not that far and I'm not alone," I assure her. "Dr. Choi and Solbin will be at the star party to meet me when I get there."

"Okay, but who are you with now?"

Crap. Why didn't I write a script? "We changed our plans for the week. And I'm with a guide, so you don't have to worry."

"A guide?"

"Someone who really knows the wildnerness. Right now we're in a campgound at a ranger station."

"Suzy -"

"It's fine, I promise. There are families camping here and a park ranger. I'm completely safe. Please trust me. I need you to trust me, or I can't enjoy this. You told me to be careful, not cautious, remember?"

She sighs. "But you are being smart, right?"

"As smart as possible. I swear on my backpack."

"Oh, good. Okay. All right." I can hear the relief in her voice. "Hives?"

"Under control."

"Thank goodness. You have plenty of food?"

"Yep. Still have your emergency money too."

She pauses. "Are you having fun?"

I look back at Jungkook. He's several inches tall than the ranger is, and is now pointing out a location on a laminated map on the desk. He is insanely good-looking. I don't think I allowed myself to think about that too much over the last year, but I'm thinking it now, and it's making my stomach flutter. That voice, those lips, that -

"Suzy?"

Oh, crap. "What? Oh, um, yeah. I'm having fun." A snake bite, a bear, and the greatest kiss of my life. "I'm sore from hiking, and I need a shower, but it's really pretty out here."

"I'm so glad. That's terrific," she says, sounding happy. I like it when she's happy. She deserves someone better than my ty father. Jungkook's story about the hotel pierces through my thoughts, and the weight of this secret affair is becoming heavier and heavier. But I'm still too much of coward to tell her about dad. I can't do it on the phone, not like this. I'm scared of hurting er, but I'm even more terrified of losing her. So I just tell her what day I'll be at Aspan Park and assure her once more that everything's fine.

I'm a selfish, selfish person.

"Baby?" she says, her voice taking on a different tone. "Do you have anything else you need to tell me?

My pulse increases. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you know I don't secrets."

"I know."

"And when people keep them, it's usually for a bad reason."

Omo. Does she know I'm here with Jungkook? Or is she talking about my dad's affair? She couldn't be. I'm paranoid.

"I know that sometimes it seems like . . ." She pauses. "Suzy, I care about you more than you can understand. But . . ."

"But what?" Why is there a but?

"I just want you to know that you can tell me anything," she says more firmly.

"I know that."

"Okay, that's all."

That's all? What is going on? Why is she being so cryptic? Maybe I should tell her about Jungkook. But if I do, I'm worried she'll tell my dad, and they'll drive out here and make me come home. I made up my mind already. I know it took me forever, but now that I've decided, I really don't want to go back to Daegu.

I hate lying to her.

But I want to stay here with Jungkook.

Why can't this be easier?

The phone is playing some prerecorded message in the background, telling me to deposit more money. "I don't have any more quarters, so I've got to go," I tell her. "But I just wanted to check in and tell you that I'm safe, and that . . . well, like I said, I have a really good trail guide out here. So you don't have to worry."

"Wait! When will you get to Aspan Park?"

"Day after tomorrow. Late."

"Promise me that you'll text when you get there."

"I promise. And I love you."

"I love you too, sweetie." She sounds sad. Or disappointed? "And I miss you. Please stay safe."

Ugh. She's breaking my heart. And I don't even get to say anything else, because the pay phone finally realizes I'm not putting any more money inside it and cuts me off. I hang up and lay my forehead against the receiver.

"Everything okay?" Jungkook says in a low voice near my shoulder.

"I think so. Hope so."

"What did you decide?"

I turn around and absently scratch my arm. "I hope you haven't changed your mind about taking me to Aspan Park, because you're stuck with me now."

He sighs. Twice. On a third sigh, he hand tentatively reaches toward the side of my face, and he gently pushes an strand out of my eyes, fingers lingering. "I'm glad. Really glad."

"You are?"

"I am. No presumptions made. I'm not booking us a hotel room, or anything."

I groan softly, a little embarrassed.

"Too soon?" he says with the hint of a smile.

I shake my head and smile back.

His hand drops from my hair, and a moment of awkward silence passes before I speak again, attempting to move the focus away from the heavy topic of us. "I'm worried that I should have told Eomma about the lady you saw last year at the hotel with my father. And about the photo book. I just couldn't."

"It's probably for the best. Some things you just don't want to say over the phone, believe me. Like, Hey, I'm an idiot who tried to get a hotel room because I have no clue about how to have a relationship, and oh yeah, I punched your father, and we're not allowed to see each other. You know, things like that."

I chuckle a little.

"I still don't," he whispers.

"Don't what?" I whisper back.

"Know how to have a relationship."

"Oh good, because I don't either."

"We'll figure it out eventually. If you want to, that is."

"I think so," I whisper.

His smile is almost shy, but when he sighs one last time, exhaling sharply through his nostrils, he sounds content. And that makes me feel less anxious about everything.

He clears his throat. "So . . . I rented us a campsite," he says, golding up a small, perforated card with a number printed on it. "Not a presumption, by the way. If you were leaving, I needed a place to sleep tonight, and I really didn't -"

"Calm down. I believe you."

"Okay," he says, and we both smile at each other again.

Focus, Suzy. "Campsite. We're not camping in the wild?"

"The sites makes things easier, so I thought why not take advantage of convenience for a night? And we're lucky to get it. They were completely booked until the mountain lion scare we saw posted on the board outside. Apparently one tried to attack a small child at another camp."

I'm suddenly alarmed, but Jungkook holds up a calming hand.

"Mountain lions usually steer clear of populated areas, but if they try to attack, small children look like prey in their eyes. We aren't children. We'll be fine, especially with all the other campers around. And besides, that report was miles from here, and the little boy escaped unharmed."

Still not feeling better about this . . .

"Now scoot over," Jungkook says, waving me aside. "Let me call the parental units before the ranger kicks us out."

I feel strange about listening in to his phone conversation, so I busy myself outside the station, picking up a free park map from a covered plastic box as the sun begins setting, shining warm orange light through the trees. When Jungkook emerges, he's all smiles, poise, and swagger. Whatever was said between him and his dads lifted his mood considerably. But before I can ask about this, he waves the camping permit at me.

"Okay, Sujireongi. We're looking for an open camp site somewhere down there. Let's make camp. And bonus, there are toilets and hot showers."

(A) He hasn't called me that nickname in forever, and (B) showers. SHOWERS!

"You really know how to win a girl's heart," I say, smiling.

"I'm trying my best," he says, and I feel my heart skip a beat.

We walk down a trail through camp, nodding at strangers who lift a hand in greeting. It must be a camping thing. I'm not accustomed to so much open friendliness among strangers. Don't these hippies know this is a good way to get mugged? Head down, eyes on the sidewalk - that's my motto. Then again, maybe they're so cheery because they all have cars, either pulled up right next to their tents or out in the nearby parking lot, and Car Camping seems to be completely different ball game. These people have coolers of actual food - not freeze-dried meals - and portable chairs. Since when did I become jealous of a chair and a package of cheap hot dogs? But, gods above, it look enticing.

"Bingo," Jungkook says, pointing toward a deserted piece of dirt. "Ranger Bang said there were two sites open, and we can choose. I see another open near the toilets, and I'm gonna suggest we pass on that, because I've camped near restrooms before. It's like sitting near the toilets on an airplane, but worse. So much worse."

"Say no more. This one smells and looks perfect." Well, that's a stretch. It's somewhat barren, and the sites on either side of it are a little closer than I'd like. But on the other hand, it's flat, there are no rocks or twigs to clear away, and it has a private picnic, a bear locker, and a rusty fire pit ring with a grill. "Score. If only we have hot dogs."

"We have freeze-dried macaroni and cheese, and if you're nice to me, I'll let you have some of my M&M stash."

"Deal," I smile.

There's an awkward moment when we set out packs on the picnic table to fish out our tents. I don't know what he's thinking, but I'm remembering sleeping with him the night before. Only now . . .

Yeah. I look up and see the confirmation in his eyes. He's thinking about it too.

Now it's different.

"Uh, should we set the tents up side by side, here?" he says after a few tense seconds.

"Sounds good."

It doesn't take us long to get the tents in place, and Jungkook eyes the forested area near the campsite. "I can probably collect wood out there, but it might take a little while, especially if other campers regularly hunt for it. You want to take a shower while I'm looking?" He squints and holds up a finger. "That came out wrong. While I'm looking for wood. In the forest."

I let out a little laugh.

"Or the other thing," he chuckles.

"Just get the firewood."

His smile is playful. "If you change your mind, holler."

"Sir, yes, sir."

Before he heads out into the woods, Jungkook informs me that now is a good time to wash out any clothes that need washing, and he digs out a minibottle of biodegradable castle soap. My snake-bitten, bloodied socks definitely need cleaning, as well as my underwear and a couple of tank tops. I gather them up, get my toiletries and a change of clothes, and head to the shower house, which is another rustic log cabin building that looks similar in design to the ranger station. After watching another camper parading through the campground in a bathrobe and flip-flops, I realize that this place truly is hippie-land, and no one's concerned about etiquette.

This is no glamping compound.

A slat-wood partition shields a door marked WOMEN. When I head inside, I find lockers for clothes and big, long sinks in front of mirrors. The water there is cold, and in order to get hot water in one of the three stalls, you have to feed money into a little machine. I have enough quarters for five minutes of hot water, and even though I rush to shampoo, wash, and shave, it still runs out when I'm peeling bandages off my snake bite, making me yelp in surprise when the water turns icy cold. But I manage to endure it long enough to finish up, and after toweling off with a small microfiber camp towel - one of Seolhyun's purchases - I brush my teeth and wash out my clothes in the sink.

One problem with showering in the wild is the lack of hair dryers, and the temperature outside is starting to fall along with the setting sun. It's not chilly, but with a head full of wet hair, it's not exactly warm, either. Luckily, by the time I walk back to our site, Jungkook has gotten a fire going. He's also set up a low-hanging rope between his tent and the picnic table for hanging up wet clothes to dry. I feel a little weird putting up my underwear for all the world to see, but other campers are doing it in their sites, so I guess this is one of those moments where I have to swallow my pride and say it. I quickly hang everything up before taking a seat on a bear canister in front of the fire, letting the heat dry my hair while Jungkook takes his turn at the shower house.

The camp is really bustling, now that everyone's coming back from day hikes and getting ready for dinner. It's weird to be around so many people. It seems like a lifetime ago when Seolhyun abandoned us and I was freaking out about being alone with Jungkook. I watch all the activity, wondering where all these people came from and why they decided to camp here. They're definitely different from the glampers. I don't know if that's good or bad, or if it just is. But at least I'm not on edge, wondering which fork to use at a four-course dinner. Plus, everyone here seems to be in a better mood. And despite a bit of lingering worry over that call to eomma, I think maybe I am too.

After a few minutes of combing my hair upside down in front of the fire, I hear a soft whistle.

I look up to find Jungkook's long legs walking up to our site. "Oh my my my. Look at all your unmentionables blowing in the wind. I mean, wow. I'm getting a real French-lingerie vibe here."

"Omo," I say, kicking his leg. "Stop looking, you ."

He's hanging up his own underwear next to mine, a towel draped over his shoulders and his black hair damp and sticking up in the most adorable way. "I'll stop looking when you do."

"What's there to look at? Black boxers? I already saw those last night when you were getting in my tent."

"Mmm, that's right. And have you been thinking about me in my boxers all day?"

"Please stop talking."

"Stop talking altogether, or . . . ?" He laughs and dances out of the way as I try to kick him again. I smell shaving cream and notice he's gotten rid of his stubble. "Okay, okay. Try to control yourself, and I'll try to do the same. We have more important matters to take care of, like the fact that my stomach is trying to eat itself. Let's get to making with the macaroni and cheese, shall we?"

As he breaks out our cooking gear, I keep my eyes on the other campsites, watching the comings and goings of kids and adults. There's even a site filled with several teens, and one fo the guys is unpacking an acoustic guitar. Jungkook tells me there's a wannabe guitarist at every campground. it's practically required.

While the water for our dinner is heating up, Jungkook checks my snake bite and fixes another bandage over the healing wound, proclaiming it "much better." The we prepare and eat out not-so-fabulous macaroni meal, which along with a cloying cheese sauce, also has dried beef in it, so we do a whole comical bit together, wistfully pretending it's the same grilled hamburger we're smelling from the campsite next to ours. Halfway through eating, it's dark enough that Jungkook needs to switch on our little camp lights - to see my underwear better, he jokes, and I throw my spork at him. When he pretends to be injured, the teen campsite with the guitar-playing dude starts group singing a hymn. Loudly.

"Noooo," I whisper. "Nightmare. They aren't even on key."

"And it's not even a good hymn. What about 'Holy, Holy Night'? Now, that would be one you could really go nuts with."

"Aha!" I say. "I just realized why Jin has you going to church. It's not your diabolic ensemble of all-black clothes. it's because you stoled RM's credit card to use for the hotel room."

He looks sheepish. "Busted. Though I did turn myself in, so that has to count for something. But yeah, she makes me sit through hymns as penance."

"it's all clear to me now."

"So basically, it's your fault."

"Mines?" I pout.

"You're a tempting girl, Suzy. If you hadn't kissed me last year that first time, I would have never wanted to get the hotel room, and -"

"Me kiss you? That was an accident!"

"Kissing is never an accident. Never in the history of kissing has it been an accident."

"I slipped when I sat on the bench."

"And your mouth just happened to land on mine?"

"Damon was pulling against the leash, trying to chase a squirrel!"

"Keep lying to yourself. Meanwhile, I've made my peace with my part in it, which is that I was completely innocent."

"If it wasn't an accident, then it was both our faults."

"Not according to evangelicals." He switches to a street preacher voice. "And yea, though I was seduced by the sinful demon female in the garden -"

"Yah! You're the one with the garden in the shop window."

forest, Suzy. Get it right. I helped put that up, by the way. I took a photo of my lizard walking around inside the display."

"I'm going to need to see that," I say, but my words are drowned under the hymn-a-thon at the tent across the path. "Ugh, all these people," I complain. "I wish we were camping in the backcountry. I mean, don't get me wrong, the shower is great, and it's much easier to get drinkable water out of a faucet than to scoop it out of a river and wait for it to filter. But man, civilization is nosy."

"Well, well, well. Look who's been bitten by the bug," Jungkook says, pointing at me.

"What bug?" I frantically look across my clothes and legs.

"No, the backpacking bug," he says, laughing. "You prefer the peace and quiet. That's how it started for me. I just wanted to get away from people and think."

"Well, I'm not ready to do this on a regular basis, but I'm starting to see the appeal."

He gestures toward the back of camp. "You know what? When I was gathering firewood, I walked down that big hill there. It's just grassland and meadow, but I bet it has a decent view of the stars. At least it's away from the lights of the camp. Want to take your telescope there before they start singing 'Kumbaya'?"

Yes. Yes, I do. After we clean and put away everything, and Jungkook puts out the fire, we gather the rainfly from my tent and my telescope. After strapping on headlamps - and dumping Seolhyun's expensive broken headlamp in the trash - we haul all of our supplies out of camp and head toward the hill.

It doesn't take long to find a good spot where the lights from the camp are at our backs. We can still hear people, but it's not as loud. Jungkook spreads out the rainfly, and we sit on it picnic-style. I flick off the light on my headlamp. The stars are amazing out here. I don't think I'll ever used to seeing them this way, without light pollution from the city. Thousands upon thousands of them, glittering points of light. It's as if I'm looking at an entirely different sky.

"Look," I say, pointing up at a wispy white trail. "The Milky Way. You can't see that at home without a telescope. Not even at the observatory."

Jungkook takes off his headlamp and leans back on his palms. "It looks unreal. I know it's not, but my mind doesn't want to accept that this isn't some fake, projected light show."

No projection could look like this. We both stare up at the sky for a long moment. "I don't even think I want to use the telescope," I say. "I think I just want to look at them. Is that weird?"

"Not at all. It's not every day you get to see all this."

My phone still has a little charge on it, and I quickly turn on the screen to use it as a flashlight in order to see where to move my telescope. That's when I notice something.

"We have service!"

"Well, what do you know?" Jungkook says, taking out his phone. "Oh, look. I've got texts from Bogum."

"You do?" My only texts are from Eomma and Solbin.

"He's apologizing for leaving us. Well, it's sort of a non-apology. Oh, wait. He's taking it back. No  . . . He's apologizing again. Aren't Seolhyun's parents in Switzerland, or something?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Because he's not making any sense. Now he's blaming Seolhyun for ditching us. I think? He's an atrocious speller, by the way."

"How many texts did he send?" I say, glancing at his screen.

"One, two, three, four . . . eight. And the last one is asking if I can get him weed again."

"Again?"

"He's already asked once. He's laboring under the false presumption that because my mom was in a band, I somehow have unlimited access to drugs. I swear, Bogum is the absolute worse. I'm not even responding."

Solbin's message is just confirming that she's leaving for the star party tomorrow and will see me there. I quickly decide to tell her that I'm with Jungkook, backpacking through the park - super casual, no details - and asking if it's okay that he rides home with us. After she confirms, and I tell her when we'll be arriving, I read eomma's message: I'm glad you called today. Please stay safe and text me when you get to Apsan Park. If you ever want to talk about anything, you know I'm here, right?

Why does she keep saying this? I replay our phone conversation in my head and something starts to bother me. "I left that photo book in my desk at home."

"What?" Jungkook says, switching his phone off.

"I'm worried that eomma might have found it. She keeps asking me if there's anything I want to tell her, like she's trying to get me to confess to something. And it's either that photo book, or she knows I'm here with you."

"How would she know?"

"Do your parents know that we're alone right now?"

He hesitates. "Yeah, actually. They're pretty happy about it."

They are?

"Look," he says, "they know your parents don't realize you're here with me, but they wouldn't go run and tell your mom that. They know we're safe, and that's all that matters."

"Then it must be the photo book," I say.

"Was Younghee upset?"

"Not really. She sounded . . . disappointed."

He doesn't say anything for a while. "Look, if you want my opinion, I'm betting she already suspected something was up with your dad a long time ago. So if she found the photo book, then she found it. But there's nothing you can do about it now."

I know he's right. Worrying won't do me any good. It's just hard to make myself stop. I don't like feeling unsettled.

But I try not to think about it, shutting off my phone and putting it my pocket. Then I lie on my back and look up at the stars.

Jungkook lies down next to me, shoulder to shoulder.

"We're under the same starry night," I say.

"We always are."

"Not together," I argue.

"I think we've alway been together, even when we were apart," he says, slipping his hand around mine.

"I know it's cliche, but sometimes I would look up at the stars and wonder if you were ever looking at them at the same time," I confess.

"When I looked up at the stars, I saw us. You were the stars, and I was the dark sky behind you."

"Without dark sky, you couldn't see the stars."

"I knew I was useful," he says.

"You're essential."

He makes a happy sound and tucks his arm behind his head. "When we were apart, I would always try to find constellations and imagine you talking about them. Like the Great Cat."

"The Great Cat? You mean the Great Bear . . . or Leo?"

"Which one is Felis Major?"

"There's no Felis Major. There's Ursa Major, and that's the Great Bear. It's the one with the group of stars that make up the Big Dipper."

"I could have sworn there was a big cat constellation. The Great Tomcat."

"Tomcat?" I say, exasperated.

"Could have sworn there was a tomcat constellation with a long tail. Right there."

"Where?"

He points upward. "Standing on the fence."

"You mean Taurus?"

"Is Taurus a cat?" he asks.

"It's a bull!"

"I know," he chuckle, rolling toward me. "I just wanted to hear you get riled up about stars."

"You're a jerk, you know that?" I say with a laugh, poking his ribs repeatedly.

He jumps and tries to grab my finger. "Such a jerk. If I were you, I wouldn't put up with this crap."

"Oh? What should I do about it? Leave you out here to find cat constellations while I go back to camp?"

I pretend to get up, but he grabs my arm and pulls me back down. "Noooo."

"You're going to make me squish my telescope."

He picks it up and moves it behind him. "There. Better?"

"Well, now I can't use it."

"You weren't using it anyway. Unless you had plans to spy on the Bible Camp kids up the hill. But I doubt you're going to see anything sordid, and we both know you like a little skin when you're spying on - Yah!" He shields himself with one arm, laughing. "Ouch! Stop hitting me! I didn't spy on you when you were . I'm the victim, here."

"You weren't ."

"Five more seconds and I would've been. Would you have looked away if I hadn't caught you?"

I wait too long to answer.

He grabs me around the waist and pulls me closer. A lot closer. My s are pressing against his chest. "Or would you have taken photos?"

"You insult me, sir. I don't use my telescope like some peeping Tom." Usually.

"And I'm supposed to take your word on that? For all I know, you've already secretly photographed me with your spy lens," he says near my lips. "Should I be worried?"

"From what I saw, you don't have anything to worry about."

"You shock me, miss. Have you been watching me do bad things in my room?"

"You always shut the blinds. Spoilsport."

He chuckles in that deep voice of his, and the sound vibrates through his chest and into mine. "Suzy?"

"Yes?"

"God, I've missed you."

"I've missed you too."

"I'm going to accidentally kiss you now."

"Okay."

Softly, slowly, his lips graze over mine. HIs mouth is soft, and his hand is roaming up my back. I exhale a shaky breath, and he kisses me:

Once, briefly.

Warmth flickers in my chest.

A second time, longer.

Melting heat, uncurling low in my belly.

Three times, and . . .

I'm lost.

Drowning in him. Nothing but goosebumps and buzzing endorphins and pleasure rushing over my skin. Nothing but his mouth, connecting us, and my fingertips slipping up his shirt to dance over the hard planes of his back. Nothing but his arms wrapped around me like a warm blanket.

Nothing but us and the stars above.

It's perfect. As though we've been doing this years. As if he knows exactly how to make me shiver, and I know exactly how to make him groan. We're brave explorers. The best explorers. Lewis and Clark. Ferdinand Magellan and Sir Francis Drake. Neil Armstrong and Sally ride.

Suzy and Jungkook.

We are so good at this.

And before I know it, we're rolling around, a tangle of arms and legs, half on the nylon rainfly, half in the night grass. Like we used to so, back during the Great Experiment. My hair is in tangles again, and his hand is up in my shirt, and he's saying all these insanely shocking and intimate things he wants to do so me, which should be making my ears turn pink, but right now it all sounds like poetry. And my fingers are headed for his belt buckle, and -

A scream.

Not me. And not Jungkook. It's in the woods.

It sounds like a woman. In trouble.