New Friend (새 친구...)

Begin Again

“Let’s break up”

The words immediately erased the smile on the boy’s face. His hand turned cold and he could feel his heart beat faster.

Did I hear it wrong?  He thought.

“WHAT? Gyu, don’t play around with something like this” He burst out in disbelief at what he just heard. He was nervous and hoping the boy in front of him starts smiling and telling him this is all a joke. However, his heart dropped at the reply that came after.

“I’m not playing. I never really love you! I thought you’re interesting but you’re bored. I just want to have fun with you”

The words were sharp like a knife and it was snapping right through his heart. The pain was too real that he was stunt to even say anything.

I…

Gyu…

No

Why?

It’s all a lie, Nam Woohyun

 

Woohyun swiftly sits up. Sweat is all over his forehand and palm. He is running short on breath. He looks around and feels relief to find himself in the familiar room.

Just another bad dream.

He tries to calm his breath before laying back down onto the soft pillow but not before glancing at the digital clock on the table beside his bed.

It’s 4:42 AM.

He hasn’t been having this dream for so long. The dream had been recurring when he was coping with his first heartbreak. It must be because of their recent encounter yesterday at school. Fate is really playing with him. It decides for him to meet Kim Sunggyu on his very first day of school. He cannot imagine seeing this guy around on the school campus or wherever.  

Can I just change school?

He closed his eyes at the thought because there is no way in the hell that his mom would change the school after his first day with the reason being avoiding his ex-boyfriend. Money is tight for her.

I guess I will have to put up with this. Let’s hope we won’t meet as much.

With the thought, Woohyun shuts his eye for a nap before another new day.  

-----

Woohyun is running fast.

. . .

He is late for the school.

Thank to the ing nightmare.

He cannot believe he missed his alarm o’clock when he shut his eyes for the second time.

Damn you. Kim Sunggyu. You are such a life ruiner.

He pauses his step a bit with both hand on the knee trying to catch his breath. He starts to see a glimpse of school but it will take him more than 10 minutes to get across the campus to his class thank to the freaking giant school and the time is already 5 minutes to 8 AM. His first session starts at 7:30AM.  

He will never make it to the class on time. Nonetheless, he picks up his phase again in hope that late is better than never rule applies at his new school.

It was not.

When Woohyun arrives at the gate, he sees one teacher holding a stick in his hand and yelling at a bunch of students who are doing the push-up on the ground.

Woohyun bits his lip in frustration as it is clear that they are late students receiving their punishment. Looking at his wristwatch which is said 8:05 AM now, he gulped.

 

Cannot believe I will start my second day like this.

 

He sees a big space behind the teacher’s back as he was sitting down to scroll the student face to face.

 

Maybe I can sneak behind his back. He takes a big breath and straightens his shirt collar.  

 

Let’s be natural.

 

He walks in with his back straight up trying to be natural as much as possible. He almost thinks that he makes it through until

“Em Hemm”

 

.

 

“And where do you think you are going?” the teacher stands up and yelled at him from behind his back.

Woohyun gives a sly smile at the teacher hoping he would let him off since he does not want to mess up like this at the beginning of his new school.

“Who are you? I never see you before here” the teacher hissed at him.

“I am the new student. It’s my second day here” Woohyun replied, trying to maintain a smile on his face.

“Nam Woohyun” The teacher said aloud, apparently reading his nametag that is attached to his front left shirt pocket.

 “It’s your second day and you’re already late! Good! Get down and do push up!” the teacher commanded before Woohyun can protest anything.

“Quick!”

Life…

---

After 20 push-ups, Woohyun is good to go but he is already sweaty and not to mention his first session is almost over already. He sighs before reaching down for his backpack on the ground and dusting it.

“Hey, are you new here?”

He hauls his action and looks up to the direction of the voice. He smiles lightly at the other person even though he does not know him. It’s never hurt to make a friend for Nam Woohyun. Plus, the person that just shared the same fate as him.

“Yes, it’s my second day here.” He replied and continues to dust his bag.

 “Ohh. I see. I am Kim Junsu; Senior year here” The guy introduced himself.

“Oh Really? I’m Nam Woohyun. Senior year as well.” He excitedly said, seem happy at the fact that he meets people from the same generation.

“We are friends then! which class are you going next?” Junsu asked in a similar mood to Woohyun’s.

Woohyun zips him backpack big enough to pull his schedule out to see which class he is going to next.

“err it’s math” he answered after scanning through his schedule of today.

“I have math too. How coincidence!  Let’s go together?”

“Yeah, sure!”

He exclaimed while tossing his backpack over one of his shoulders, oblivious to the smirk on the person who follows behind him.

---

After sitting for almost 2 sessions of the class, Woohyun’s expression is clearly bored. It does not take him much to get bored at such lectures. He is the person who would rather be doing something excited like singing and dancing.

 

I should look for a music club later on.

 

Probably his silent pray is heard because at that moment, the bell rings signalling the break for this morning.

 

Finally.

The moment he has been waiting for. He gathers his stuff and shoves it all into his bag.

Who cares about organizing it when the stomach is screaming for food.

“Hey Woohyun, want to go and have lunch together?”

He looks up to the voice from the class entrance direction. It is Junsu, the guy from this morning. They had math class together but was apart for the geography glass which was boring as hell at the moment.

“Sure, why not? I’m new here anyway” Woohyun happily agreed with a smile because it’s always a good idea to have someone eating with you than feeling like an alien.

 

---

 

“So Woohyun, what make you move here?” Junsu asks him

“Well… My mom found a new job here which paid better than the old one in Jeonju so she decided to move here and also wants me to have a better schooling in Seoul too.” He answered, thinking of his mom who insisted on bringing him here with her even though the neighbor is safe and everyone likes them. Woohyun does not want to come here and be a burden to his mother who is working hard to support both of them since his father passed away when he was young by an illness. Money is tight for them but his mom’s got only him so she cannot afford to leave him alone.  

“Oh, I see. How do you find it so far?” Junsu continued

 “Not that bad” Woohyun responds, if you take Kim Sunggyu out of the picture.

“What about you? How long has been at this school?” Woohyun asked back, trying not to bring Kim Sunggyu into his head.

“My whole life?” Junsu joked before laughing a bit. “I’ve been here since secondary school so it’s like almost 6 years already”

“You must have a lot of friends then.” Woohyun remarked

“Pretty much” Junsu shrugs a bit with a slight frown on his face while responding. His face lifts up back when he asks the next question

“Wanna hang out with them later?”

“Sure will. That sounds like fun” Woohyun gladly nods even though he does not know what they are going to do but what can high school students here be doing.

While having the conversation with Junsu on the way to the cafeteria, Woohyun cannot help but notices stares from other students which truly disturb his feeling. Somehow, he feels the chill in the back when he senses the whispers. It’s not the whispers like the one this morning. It’s different and he does not feel right about it.

Did he hang out with some sort of school lord or something? But this Junsu looks like a nice guy, doesn’t seem to be any danger at all.

Woohyun tries to push his thought away as they arrive at the place.

The cafeteria is big, way way bigger than the one at his old high school. It is crowded too; not many seats are available. As his eyes wander, he catches the familiar figure.

The guy with the caramel hair.

He was sitting at the left side of the place with the guy whom he met yesterday morning.

Dongwoo was his name. and he is Sunggyu’s friend.

Here gone another person I hope to be friend with.

“Hey Woohyun, you can sit over there while I get the food.” Junsu said while pointing to the empty table near the corner.

Woohyun nob before walking to the direction, still feeling the same kind of previous stares on him. It starts to give him the uncomfortable feeling now. He sits down on the chair and shrugs his backpack off the shoulder.

He pulls his phone up trying to avert his attention from the looks and whispers he’s getting from all the students.

His phone wallpaper is the picture of him and his mom. He brushes through it randomly before the screen changed to a call from

 

Gyu Gyu Hyung <3

 

He narrows his eyes on the screen before looking up to see Sunggyu with his phone at his table looking at him. He touches the red button and sends a glare to the person.

They are having the intense stare not long before someone sitting down in front of Woohyun, blocking the view of the side.

 “What are you looking at?” Junsu asked while tilting his head toward the direction Woohyun was looking.

“You know Kim Sunggyu?”

“Not really. Just met him on the first day because the principal wants him to guide me around” Woohyun responded while looking at the plate full of food that Junsu just arrived with.

“He’s such a jerk here even though he’s the student council president.” Junsu added while lifting a fork with a piece of meat into his mouth.

“Oh yes, he is” Woohyun eagerly agreed to the statement as he could not agree more.

 “You sound like you know him”

“ Well no… just the experience with him” Woohyun stated in a form of hesitation, not wanting to reveal that he actually knows the guy from long ago.

“Ah yes, so don’t go close to their group. They are not the one who should be hanging around with” Junsu warned him in a lower voice.

Woohyun gets a bit uncomfortable with the tone but decides to take it lightly and focuses his attention to the tray in front of him as his stomach is craving to be fed anyway.

 

----

 

The intense stare from the small eye of his friend is certainly distracting Dongwoo and Sungyeol.

Dongwoo knows it is the new student. He is just confuse to why his hyung is reacting that way as it is not like they never have a new student before.

The burning stare turns to annoyance the moment the other two are laughing together about something. It’s true that Junsu is not the nice guy; after all their gang is one of the main things the student council needs to deal with most of the time.

Is Sunggyu hyung worrying that they are adding the new student to their gang? So it will give him more headache and that’s why he is so worried? But the look does not seem to be like that.

“Hey Sungyeol. What’s up with Sunggyu hyung?” Dongwoo asked, too scare to initiate any conversation with his hyung right now.

The tall guy looks up from his phone which he was typing rapidly on, seemingly texting someone in a hurry.

“I don’t know, Ask him” Sungyeol said, annoyed at the fact that the Dino-like guy is distracting his concentration on the phone. His little monster is mad at him about something and he is trying to figure it out. Fighting with Myungsoo is a headache to him because he just cannot get through the meaning behind those lack of expression texts.

“Geez. You could reply nicer, you know” Dongwoo mumbles. What has he done to deserve a seat with the two people with obviously “dark” mood. He’s always been nice to people around him just like his mother wants him to.

Looking at Sunggyu’s expression now, he knows better not to ask the guy anything. With the thought, Dongwoo starts digging into his food trying to ignore the atmosphere as much as possible.

Just a few minutes later, he jumps the bang sound on the table he is sitting.

The person in front of him stands up and leaves.

He looks confused and blinks at the situation before whirling his head to the opposite side of the table, where he sees the two guys are sharing food and apparently wiping each other’s cheek.

He turns back to the sight of Kim Sunggyu’s walking away from at the table then drops the gaze to the food that left untouched.

 

I suppose I will ask Sunggyu hyung later at the office.

 

They work in the student council together. While Dongwoo is known to the school as bright helpful Vice president, Sunggyu is the charming and serious President. They kind of balance each other in the process of handling all the affair.

Shortly after, another guy on his left side slams the phone on the table and grips his hair tightly with his eyes closed, looks like trying to calm himself down.

“ you. Kim Myungsoo! Be mad all you want. I give no anymore”

Sungyeol said to no one before grabbing his phone and throw it in his backpack, does not bother where it will be landed. He could care less about that now.

His friend pulls his backpack harshly then walks to the cafeteria’s exit direction. Another food left untouched.

Dongwoo sighs.

 

What’s wrong with people today?

 

----

 

Sunggyu is stressed after the sight at the cafeteria this noon. Woohyun not talking to him is already a headache and now having him getting on the favor side of the gangster of the school is a nightmare.  

He knows Junsu too well that the guy only brings bad news regardless of how a sweet talker he can be. Junsu and his gang causes Sunggyu and the student council a lot of pain than they can imagine. Not to mention the fact that the school cannot do anything much because of Junsu’s parent’s influence as the school large donor. So it is left on his shoulder to try to “contain” Junsu’s behavior as much as possible but do not touch him in any ways that his parent would come to school and warn the school principal about the fund.

As the result, they have been having this cold war with each other since the year that Sunggyu was elected as the Student Council President.

Junsu is jealous of the influence that he has over the school. He is in the school band which gathering him quite a good number of fangirls and he joins boxing class by interest but the skill helps him to protect himself against the school gangs too. Being the Student council president, he cannot help the encountering with those gangs so he is prepared not to get his beaten. He somewhat get the school side too because he is a good student and role model for other students. With all of these combine, he is a popular person in the school and Junsu hates that fact so much because his badass image does not attract that much of attention anymore.

He sighs not wanting to imagine what Junsu’s got against him this time; with him getting close to Woohyun out of nowhere. This Junsu guy only meets the new student to frighten them and not to make friends.

Something is really fishy here. 

He ruffles his hair in frustration before letting out another big breath. Unexpectedly, his stomach makes a crumbling sound. He realized he did not have any food during lunch time. He was too disturbing to see the two guys in the cafeteria and it made him lose the appetite.

Lifting his wrist up to look at the time; it is read 12:45PM. He only has about 10 mins to find anything to fill his stomach in order to focus on the next class.

When he is about to get out of his chair, a person appears at the door with a plastic box in his left hand.

“I know you will need this later so I asked the lady to pack for you” Dongwoo said, showing the elder the box in his hand.

Sunggyu smiles at the younger guy, feeling thankful that he’s got a friend that truly worries about him. Dongwoo walks over to Sunggyu’s desk and put the food in front of him before proceed to sit on his own desk opposing of Sunggyu’s desk.

“Thank Dongwoo ah” Sunggyu said and without wasting time, starts shoving food down his throat. He does not want to be late.

“Yo! Slow down hyung” Dongwoo exclaimed while laughing a bit at his hyung’s action.

“It’s Ms. Han’s class. She is so gonna kill me if I am late” Sunggyu spoke with his mouth full of food. The sight is funny to Dongwoo that he keeps laughing and he stops only when he sees the dead glare from the elder. 

“Arraso, I have no class next session” Dongwoo said after calming down from his laugh.

Sunggyu does not respond and keeps chocking himself on the food. Everything is gone in about 3 minutes. Sunggyu reaches the last drawer in the right side of his table for his bottle of water. He proceeds to take a big gulp down and is about to drink some more when Dongwoo asks the question.

“What’s wrong with the new student?”

Sunggyu almost chokes on his water when he heard the question. Did Dongwoo notice?

 “I’ll explain later. Now I gotta go”

Sunggyu abruptly left and Dongwoo shakes his head lightly. Avoidance is Sunggyu’s talent. His hyung never tells anything only if he persists. As he gazes down, his eyes catch the side of an object on the floor, which probably was dropped from Sunggyu at the moment.

Ah. Hyung’s Wallet. This old guy.

Dongwoo chuckles at the guy’s clumsiness before walking to pick the wallet up when he accidently flash it open. His eyes catch a photo of two young guys smiling with hand holding each other’s shoulder. He see a familiar face.

The new student.

That’s why I feel like I used to see the guy somewhere.

He makes a note to ask Sunggyu about this Nam Woohyun later.

 

 

Infinite Café

Woohyun is looking up at the big we-want-you sign before looking down at the paper in his hand. It is the hiring poster he got in front of School entrance. The café is just 5 mins walk from school, perfectly matched Woohyun’s requirement workplace. He wants to earn some money to help his mother with the bill.

He pushes the door to enter the café shop, a sound of the bell signaling there is a customer coming in. 

“Welcome to Infinite Café” the cashier announced as Woohyun enters the café.

Woohyun smiles at the cashier while looking around to quietly observe the café.

It’s a cozy café with lots of small plant decoration here and there. It does not have so many tables too so it’s not so crowded either. It just gives people the relax feeling to be in.

“Hello. I saw this poster at the school. Do you still need people for part time?” Woohyun stated while showing the hiring poster in his hand.

“Oh yeah! Let me get Hyunjun for you” the cashier replies promptly with a smile after seeing the poster. She disappears into the backdoor for a brief moment and comes back with a man trailing behind her.

“Here is he” She announces introducing the guy to Woohyun with a bigger smile than before.

“Hello. I’m Nam Woohyun” Woohyun introduced himself while giving a small bow to the guy before extending his hand for a shake which the other guy gladly takes it.

“Welcome. This is Hyunjun. I’m the owner here. Let’s cut the formal and go over there to talk” The café owner said after letting go of Woohyun’s hand and gesture to one of the table in the left corner.

“So tell me about yourself, Woohyun”

 

-----

 

Woohyun beams as he exits the café after saying goodbye to the owner and the cashier. The owner is very friendly and nice. They had a nice talk and he is willing to give Woohyun the job let him start as soon as next week. The working hour is not bad, he can manage 4 hours more after school.

He turns to the direction for his home when his smile almost immediately drops.

“Woohyun” Sunggyu utters, blinking at the situation. He does not expect to meet the guy here; he is just grabbing the coffee from his favourite café shop as he needs to get some works done tonight.

Woohyun does not response anything and choose to walk past him.

“Woohyun ah” Sunggyu calls out again in which the other guy gives no response to.

Sunggyu turns around and grabs the guy’s arm, stopping him from moving forward.

“What the hell do you want from me Kim Sunggyu? Can’t you just leave me alone!” Woohyun voiced out in irritation.

“Can’t we talk properly? I seriously need to explain-“ Sunggyu spoke in a calm voice but he never gets to finish as the other person cut him off in a harsh statement.

“What do you want to explain for? I don’t want to hear anything from you as I said let’s pretend we do not know each other”

“How can I?” Sunggyu responses in a smaller voice, looking bitter from the sentence.

“Oh yeah. You can. Just do what you used to do. Be the you used to be.” Woohyun replied sarcastically, giving a quick glare before brushing Sunggyu’s hand off his arm.

“What do you want me to do for you to forgive me?” Sunggyu asked as Woohyun’s walking away from him.

Forgiveness? Really, Kim Sunggyu? Woohyun thought. It is an absurd statement. Forgiveness then what? Going back together? Woohyun really want to laugh at such ridiculous remarks. Do break-up couple get back together that easy?

“Stop saying that nonsense words and Stop whatever you are playing at. I will never ever love you again if that is what you are looking for. The pain you give me is enough for me to erase you for good” Woohyun declares in a clear voice. He continues his steps, wasting no time to wait for the other guy to response. It’s not like he wants to hear anything anyway.

Sunggyu just stands there with a heavy feeling in his heart, now knowing what to say more as he watches the person’s back getting further and further.

 

----

 

Both are unaware of the other presence on the corner of the opposite. The person smirks at the fact he just freshly discovered.

 

Thing is going to be interesting.