Good Morning

Unfamiliar Grounds

The mellow hands of the sun were peeking in the window of a room half consumed by night. Used clothes scattered around one corner, bags varying of styles vomit out their contents due to being ped, a ball lies awkwardly somewhere in the middle, and a leg hangs from the bed of a sleeping raven-haired girl whose tongue is unconventionally sticking out between her teeth.

*SKKKKKRRRINNNNNNG* *SKKKKKRRIIINNGGGG* *SKKKKKKRRRINIING*

The girl gives an indolent grunt and tries to reach out to her alarm clock situated on her nightstand, turning it off to doze off a few more minutes.

*SKKKKRRRIIIINGGGG* *SKKKRRRRIIING-

“UGH! OKAY! I’M UP!” the girl surrendered. “stupid alarm clock trying to ruin a hella good ball dream…” she mumbles as she lazily gets up from her bed and tries to walk sluggishly to the bathroom.

 

With eyes half-opened and a room half-lit, her foot felt the ball lying in the middle of the room. The girl tries to kick the ball away from her path but fails to do so and ends up kicking air and crashing on the floor with her back laid flat on cold concrete. The girl groans in reaction to the sudden pain but stands up with having no one to blame for her clumsiness.

“Well isn’t this a GOOOOD start for my first day of school as a junior. Heh, at least I know it was a good choice to pick basketball over football.” She sarcastically announces to the still room. Despite of dragging herself to the bathroom, she got out averagely fast with her hair already dried up and her school uniform worn looking too good on her thanks to her curves and her perfectly toned built. She gives one last look of herself in the mirror, gives herself a wink, and dashes out of her room to packed meals and a grinning mother.

“Yuri-ah, are you ready for your first day of school? Guessing you’d be spending extra minutes on the bed, I packed you a complete set of meals. Eat your breakfast in school, alright? Take care, you hear me?” the mother gives her daughter a hug and sends her off. “Thanks, umma. I’ll be going then!” the daughter bid goodbye to the grinning mother.

---

The morning was somehow a bit chilly and the windows of the classroom invite the cool air inside. Yuri enters the room and walks straight to the seat next to a familiar-looking girl.

“Someone’s excited for this year’s first day of school” Yuri smilingly teases.

“Yah! Yuri! You don’t know how hard I tried to sleep last night. You know how first day’s make me feel!” The girl replied

“Awww poor Hyoyeon didn’t get any sleep last night then? It’s a good thing you’re FINALLY not late for our first day. It’s nice knowing that you won’t be called out by the principal again in later’s opening ceremony, isn’t it?”

“Oh shut up Kwon, you know I had valid excuses for the previous two years.”

“Whatever you say, big shot.”

“Early in the morning what I get to hear is the two of you starting at it. It’s already bad waking up feeling too cold. Can’t this day get any worse?” a girl who just arrived complained.

“Good morning to you too, ICE princess.” The two girls who were previously teasing each other said in unison.

“All three of you shouldn’t be advanced to junior year with your immaturity, you know. I can’t believe my friends are freaking children. And you, you call yourself ICE princess but you hate the cold. This day is totally asking for an endless rant!” the short-tempered girl who followed the ice princess enter the room uttered with eyes magnified.

“Sooyoung, baby, you should know the difference of figurative ice from literal ice, you moron! I hate the cold, but I like being cold. I hope that thick skull of yours get that!” Jessica said as she rolls her eyes.

“And one more thing… You are who your friends are Soo!” Hyo laughed hysterically to Sooyoung’s unimaginable eye roll.

“What do you mean “and one more thing…”? You don’t get to add to any of what I say dance ape.”

“Better to be a talented dance ape than an ugly duckling!” Hyoyeon fired back laughing.

“Why you….” As if on cue, Hyoyeon stood from her seat and ran away from the ice princess who was ready to strangle her shouting “Ugly! Duckling! Ugly! Duckling!”.

Yuri became friends with the three girls along the years she had spent in school. During her first year, she was classmates with Hyoyeon who convinced her to join the dance ministry of the school with her. She took Hyoyeon as an athlete due to her muscular built but was only surprised that she got this built because of “popping”. They both auditioned and passed and are now well-known by students for their talents and cool demeanor. Hyoyeon’s definitely syncs with Yuri’s playful energy. They never had a serious fight before and has always been one with their thoughts. With just one look, the other knows what the other means.

In one of their performances, they had to ask the theater club’s stage designers to collaborate with them. Due to Sooyoung’s poor temperance, Hyoyeon couldn’t take her tactless remarks and had an immature argument in front of the designers and the dancers. Thanks to Yuri, they were able to meet halfway and unexpectedly became good friends. Sooyoung was in a different class than the two similar buddies during their freshman year. Regardless of being a first-year student, Sooyoung was not afraid of spewing out her opinions and confrontations like arrows of fire, burning older students’ pride when they cross the line of being too cocky and unreasonably mean to first year theater club members. Sooyoung has been recognized by a sum of students for her artistic and fashionable mind complementing her hand’s craftsmanship. Ever since then, the three girls shared a friendship that was like no other. They were free to talk about anything and confront each other with any complain without going through any drama. Luckily this year, the three of them are put together in one section.

The ice princess, Jessica, on the other hand, just happened to be famous for her mean attitude. She’s not really friends with the girls formerly introduced, but is only acquainted with them due to their fame and good reputation in school. Unfortunately, she was sectioned away from her two IT girlfriends. Since it seems like she’s not into brusque and art affiliations, her and her IT girls joined the school’s peer club which basically did nothing but gather the laziest and unsociable students of the school. Jessica and her “girl group” never even attended to any of the club’s meeting, knowing too well that they scare the living wits of not just students, but as well as some of the teachers of the school. They really are a group that sets off a y aura with the help of their parents’ social statuses and wealth. If one hates drama, might as well steer clear from these drama queens. Although, Jessica would hate to be called one of the drama queens, since she proclaims that her two IT girlfriends are only her followers. If Hyoyeon, Sooyoung, and Yuri are very much pleased with this year’s sectioning, Jessica seems to hate it as much as she hates the cold.

Yuri who is now unpacking one of the boxes her mother prepared for her for breakfast stays entertained while the three girls go on and on about how terrible of a person they all are, specifically with Hyoyeon playfully being chased by the ice princess around the classroom. Her mother knowing too well about her undying appetite, packed her breakfast, lunch, and snacks, to help her go on with her first day in school as a junior. During her freshman year, Yuri was fought over by club moderators due to her competence in mostly anything. She is simply born talented. She can dance and make any person’s jaw drop with her beauty and gracefulness, she can definitely wow anybody with her great athleticism and adaptation to any sports taught to her, and she can perform musical pieces in different instruments with her voice sealing the complete package of a genius. Not only that, Yuri is a living manifestation of perfection; fair height, long legs, smooth silky hair, starry eyes, perfect nose, and an irresistible pair of lips. Topping it off with her slightly above average IQ and a meek person despite of her achievements and good reputation. Uncharacteristically, people didn’t mind about her dark-colored skin. It was part of her majestic appeal to people. She sure made a commotion in school when she was first seen in the opening ceremony of her first day in school as a freshman. Students and teachers were baffled of how young she was despite of her looks. Nonetheless, up to this day, more and more people only get astounded by her charms. A few more minutes, the opening ceremony for this year’s first day of school will commence.