Unexpected Expression

My Best Ex-Friend

I stormed past the café doors, hands full of flyers. I’ll end this myself. A new roommate.

I poised the poster on the bulletin board before slamming the stapler against it with more force than necessary. A roommate who doesn’t try to set me up on weird dates. I slammed another staple into the other corner. A person who would leave me alone and not invade my space. I positioned the stapler over the bottom corner but before I can slam it against the wall a hand wrapped around my wrist.

“Can you please not break my restaurant? If you leave holes in the wall, I’m putting it on your tab.”

Jin let go of my wrist as I lowered the stapler. “Sorry.”

“Let’s try tape, okay. It’s a lot less…violent.” He waved me over to the register where he set out a roll of scotch tape onto the counter, but he pulled it back before I can grab it.

“What’s up with you?”

“I’m just frustrated that’s all. People have been getting on my case all week and I’m trying to get said people out of my hair once and for all.”

Jin only nodded.

“Hey,” I leaned over the counter. “Do you know anyone that’s single. I’m been getting crap for being single and I want it over with.”

“If it’s for you. I don’t think I can recommend anyone. I wouldn’t be a good friend… to them.” His shoulders shook as he tried to hold in his laughter.

I just picked my staple back up and started heading back toward his precious walls. Which is enough to get him to start apologizing. “Sorry, Leah.” He wiped away a tear. “I couldn’t resist. But really, I don’t know anyone.”

“Whatever” I mumbled. “I can’t even find a roommate. What makes me think I can get a date.”

Jin hesitated before slipping a flyer out of my hands. One with the words ‘roommate wanted’ bolded across the top, with my name and number below. “Actually, Leah. I probably should have told you this sooner. I’m not certain but I’ve seen someone taking these flyers down and that person may or may not have a name starting with a T.”

My blood was boiling. Taehyung of course. I could almost hit my forehead for not noticing sooner. He’s been undermining me this whole time. No wonder I wasn’t getting any bites.

I could see Jin start to back off a little as my fingers twitch at my side. The telltale sign that I was reaching my limit. All of a sudden, my phone vibrates in my pocket and the name bannered across the screen makes me grind my teeth. Perfect timing.

“Taehyung, you!” His voice on the other side was a little different. Darker and deeper. In fact, it made me question if it was really him. But no, don’t let him get to you, Leah.

“You need a ride? Am a taxi service. First, your concert and now this. Well, I just found out something that I need to talk to you about it’s – “ My rant into the phone comes to a pause when I hear his reply. His voice was more of a whisper which was something I hardly ever heard from him.

The call ended and I just stared back at Jin for a minute. “I gotta go. Put this up for me, ok?” I stuffed all the flyers into his arms before rushing out of the café.

***

Taehyung stepped out of the passenger seat, his solemn face illuminated in the red and blue strobes of the cop cars. I slowly followed behind and into the police department. He didn’t say a word the whole ride and I couldn’t bring myself to ask anything more than what he originally told me. So, I simply follow his footsteps weaving between the cops and people in handcuffs. I heard Taehyung’s sigh when his shoes come to a stop. Seated on the chairs across from an office was a boy in a black beanie with a tiny cut on his cheek. Jungkook, his little brother. The teen rolled his eyes when he noticed Tae behind him. I gave a little wave, but it went ignored. Last time I saw him, he was only a kid.

Taehyung stooped over the police officer’s desk, reading over and scribbling his signature on a few documents, while his brother nonchalantly slurping at a yogurt.

Well, that’s it then.” The officer tapped the papers straight. “You’re free to go. Be glad the other party isn’t pressing charges.” But Jungkook was already waltzing out of the police station clearly not listening. When we turned to leave, I swear I saw Taehyungs shoulders fall a few inches lower as he watched his little brother go.

“Jungkook!”

The teenager paused at the bottom of the steps, narrowing his eyes. “What?”

“You probably need some cash, right?” Tae fished a few bills out from his wallet. “It’s enough for the whole week. Just ask me if you ever need more. Please no more stealing, okay?”

The money was quickly snatched and stuffed in the little brother’s pocket. “Sure, whatever.”

“And Jungkook.” The boy turned again, his brother’s voice broke a little, lowering into a whisper. “You can stay with me whenever you need to. Or you should at least visit once and awhile. I’ll text you my address later.” They both stood in silence eyes locked in a silent conversation that I felt like I was intruding on.

Finally breaking the silence, the younger brother turns on his heels and threw a back-handed goodbye before disappearing into the night streets.

I watched Taehyung’s back. His breaths were slow and hung in the air, taking their time to vanish in the as if weighed down by the words he wished to say. It took a while before he faced me again. But when he did it was with a smile chiseled onto his face. One so lifeless.

“Let’s go, Leah, it’s been a long day.”

***

The meat sizzled on the grill between us as the waitress refilled out glasses of water. I was staring straight across me at Taehyung, who kept his head low as he picked at the side dishes on his plate. Uncharacteristically, he hadn’t said too much after we had left the police station which was even more worrying. I had hoped at least food would have put him back in his usual mood, but it didn’t seem to be doing the trick.

His family was always a touchy subject. But mostly it was concerning his father. In fact, the last year they were together, he had been that was what had driven Taehyung to drop out of school. Now it seems even his brother is causing him stress. And the same face he’s making now reminds me of his expression from back then, where it seemed like his soul was being out. And back then, I couldn’t do anything about it.

I took a deep breath before setting down my chopsticks, firmly. “Listen, Taehyung. I know I keep getting on to you about moving out, but I would never kick you out. So, don’t need to worry about it.”

He looked up, finally. “What are you talking about?”

“I mean...if you need to. Take your time.” I mumble the last part before stuffing a piece of meat into my mouth.

I heard a slight chuckle from him which made my shoulders fall in relief. “But don’t go behind my back and take down my posters again, alright? That’s actually pretty messed up.”

He tilted his head to the side before answering with a nod.

“By the way, Jungkook’s gotten really big. Last I remember, he was shorter than me.”

“Well he is my brother, so he’s going to grow handsomely.”

I sneered back at him. “Let’s not brag, okay.”

When I saw his posture start to relax, it eased my mind a little. I reached over and set a piece of meat onto his plate. He paused, spending too long staring at it as if he’d never seen food before.

I cleared my throat and gestured for the waitress. “How ‘bout a round of drinks?”

He poured the alcohol into my glass and I into his, and silently we went through a few shots. Sometimes I caught him staring at his reflection in his cup for a moment before drinking. Though when he met my eyes he put on another half smile. At some point, I stopped drinking, and just watched him as he slowly made him way through two bottles.

“I’m going to go to the restroom, ok?” I finally spoke up, but he wasn’t really paying attention. I got out of my chair, took a deep breath and silently made me my way the to the counter, slipping my card to the cashier.

As I turned back to our table, I saw him sitting there all alone. He looked smaller than usual as he slumped over the table. His face was scrunched up as he stared intensely at his phone. Then he took threw back one last shot before his head fell forward with a thump against the tabletop. Passed out drunk.

Kim Taehyung. What am I going to do with you?