Bonus: His Story

My Best Ex-Friend

He was being selfish.

Taehyung watched her face beyond the smoke of the grill and let out a sigh. He wasn’t supposed to call her. To tell the truth, he had a lot of other friends that he could have asked for a ride. And he was this close to calling them instead.

But before he realized what he was doing, her number was already being dialed. He was about to end the call when it connected, and her voice blasted through the speakers as she shouted out his name. It made him laugh. Something that at the beginning of this horrible day he would never have imagined possible.

And that’s when he decided that just for one more day, he was going to be selfish.

But as much as he wanted to pretend it was alright, that he wasn’t doing anything wrong, he couldn’t. He had noticed it all. Her gesturing to the waitress for a table away from others, her saving him all the best slices of meat, her staring at him every time he looked down despite quickly looking away when he looked back up, and the all too familiar look of worry on her face. He could feel the guilt of it all eating him up.

Somehow, he was actually coming to his senses despite the number of shots he was downing to drown it out. He was doing it again. He was doing the very thing he had promised himself not to do to her again.

And that’s why when she left to get up to go to the restroom, which he could guess meant she secretly went to pay, he pulled out his phone one more time. His finger hovering over his messages. He threw back one more shot before pressing send.

That’s right Taehyung. Let’s not be selfish.

That’s not why you came back.