Memories

My Best Ex-Friend

I was tugging on my backpack strap, while scanning the entirety of the student union. Groups of students were scattered across the tables or were laying down near the fountains. I watched from under a tree, my lunch balanced on my lap. I locked eyes on one group, laughing on the steps, a girl with bangs perched in the middle. She was in my Economics class and she sat behind me every day.

She looked friendly and she would probably be my friend if I asked but- I sigh and take a bite of my sandwich- I couldn’t even bring myself to approach her, or anyone else on that matter.

It was three weeks since I arrived with hopes high and such an enthusiasm to make a new start for myself that I was sure… I was positive. That I would not spend my days in college like I did in high school. Alone.

But that enthusiasm died fast, and everyone seemed to already have groups formed by the first week. And what am I actually supposed to say? Hi! I have no friends. Please hang out with me?

If I didn’t overthink it all, maybe I could be laughing alongside them by now, sharing chips and complaining about professors.

It was too tiring to think about, so I reverted back to my sandwich and watching students scurry off to class.

My eyebrow raised when I saw the tip of a black guitar case pop out from the crowd. It paced back and forth across the stone pathway as if unsure where to go, until it turned, and I saw the young boy behind it. He looked around my age with shaggy light brown hair, and a loose band tee on. He was on the phone, tapping his foot nervously.

Maybe he had an upcoming test.

He shoved his phone into his pocket with a sigh, then began scanning the crowd trying to find someone, probably. I nearly choked on my sandwich when he suddenly locked eyes on me, striding my way like I was someone he knew forever. All there was a tree behind me, so he was definitely looking at me. But why?

He never broke eye contact when he plopped down onto the grass across from me and stretched out his hand.

“Hi, I’m Taehyung.” He said naturally.

Ah, I pause at the sudden revelation, so that’s how it’s done. Going up to people.

My mouth was annoyingly full at the moment, so I just nodded. It looked like he had something to say anyway.

“I hate to bother you like this. You look like you’re enjoying your meal, but I was wondering if you can help me.” He rubbed the back of his neck before continuing. “I need to get into that building.” He tilted his head toward the silver doors of the performing arts center. “But the one who was supposed to let me in, isn’t answering.”

“You just need a student card.” I finally swallowed the last of my sandwich, trying to hide my disappointment that he wanted help, and not to be friends with me.

Baby steps, Leah.

“I don’t have one.”

“You lost it?”

He shook his head, a few strands of hair falling over his eyes.

“Are you not a student here?”

“I will be, later.” He sounded really confident as he said that

Later?

“later.” He reiterated the vague line as if he read my mind, before pointing at his guitar. “They let people in to play some gigs here sometimes and I have one soon, so if you don’t mind.”

The arts building was one of the campus’s prides. All students could get in, but it was someplace reserved for practices, auditions, and performances. And, I looked him up and down, he didn’t look like the kind of guests that play in the auditorium. Those musicians were professionals with slick back hair and fancy suits.  Immediately, I scolded myself.

Leah this is why you don’t have friends. You judge them at first glance.

“You’re really playing in there?”

“Promise.” He held his hand up to his heart, his smile really genuine.

Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt. I dusted myself off and tossed my backpack over my shoulder before following behind him to the Performance building. He led me to a back door where I held my badge to the scanner before it beeped open.

“Thanks um…”

“Leah.”

“Thanks Leah.” His eyes twinkled when he grinned back at me before the door shut between us. My shoes turned away to leave but I stopped myself.

The first person to talk to you in forever and you’re just going to leave.

But - my shoulders fell - what if he’s busy? He’s going to be setting up for a performance.

You can watch the performance. This is why you have no friends. You don’t take any initiative. My mind hissed back at me.

Well, I rolled over my student ID in my hands.

So, there I was heading down the marble floors of the lobby peeking into any open doors. A cello student looked back at me annoyed before shutting their door. Now, I just look like a creep. But he never said where he was performing.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the wide doors to the grand hall swing open. Cautiously I peeked my head into the grand performance hall with its chandeliers, sloping seats and a glimmering stage below. But there was no one on stage, just a shiny piano. I was about to leave when I saw a silhouette in the dark, seated in the otherwise empty chairs, a guitar case leaned beside him.

“Hey!”

He didn’t even look shocked when he saw me.

“Hey, Leah. What are you doing here?”

“I thought you said you were playing here.”

“I am playing… Later.”

Later?

“Later.” He nods, gazing down from the balcony. “Right there on the middle of the stage. Once I become a great musician.”

My shoulders fell. So, he’s not actually here for a gig. I can’t believe I bought all that. I should have trusted my gut. “You could have gotten me in trouble. I thought you were actually a performer.”

He looks back at me like he hadn’t even thought about that. “Sorry. I was just going to look for a little bit and then leave.”

He patted the seat beside him and opened his mouth to say something. But his eyes widened instead “Right!” He shouted suddenly. “Turn right, Leah!”

The memory of us in the auditorium vanished and I snapped back into reality just in time to quickly swerve the car. The real Taehyung was beside me in the passenger seat holding onto the overhead handle for dear life.

“Oh my god that was close. Were you daydreaming or something?”

“Or something.” I murmur under my breath as I pulled up to a parking lot.