A New Face

My Best Ex-Friend

I stopped for a second to catch my breath, from carrying one of Taehyung’s amp up the front steps. The shadow of the wide domed building stretched over me, and I took a second to admire it. It wasn’t at the University Performance Center level, but it was still a huge improvement from the back corners of cafés where he used to play. To think that he’s playing shows this big is a little cool… just a little.

I trudged up the last few steps and into the building before letting the huge speaker drop onto the floor of the auditorium. I rotated my shoulder a bit while watching Taehyung scurry across the stage. As much as he seemed laid-back, he always was pretty hard working when it came to music, I guess that hasn’t changed about him.  My eyes wandered to the rows and rows of velvety seats that I imagined would be filled with people pretty soon, so I didn’t notice Taehyung popping up beside me. “What’re you doing?”

“Just admiring the venue. Do you think you’ll have a full house?”

“We should. The tickets were sold out.”

I placed a hand on his shoulder and patted it a few times. “Nice, Well I wish you good luck tonight. I think I’m going to head back, soon.”

 “Leah, actually” He paused. “ I know that you’ve done so much for me already and I’m really thankful, but can you do me just one more favor. I kind of need someone to take pictures of the event.”

I glanced down at the shiny camera in his hands then back up at the slight pout on his face.

Sure, I’d be glad to stay here and work instead of going home to relax after a long two-day business trip. ....was what I’d usually say but I swallowed all my sarcasm and just gave him a quick nod. 

“Thanks, Leah, I owe you.” He sure didn’t wait long before handing the camera to me and running towards the stage.

I sighed. I guess I would just take this opportunity to watch him play so I could end my curiosity about his music once and for all.

But – I fiddled with the buttons the lens extending and retracting – how do I even work this?

Pulling the viewfinder to my eye, my lashes fluttering against the metal, I slowly panned across the arena. Everything looked so much more interesting behind the lens. I moved my view to a few stagehands in the corner, checking the lighting and adjusting wires.

Then I moved the camera so that Taehyung popped up in my field of vision. He was concentrating on picking at his guitar, his fingers moving fast across the strings. This dedicated and intense side of him, I think I almost forgot about it. But that used to be my favorite part about him, actually.

His face twisted as he tunes the instrument, but it wasn’t a bad look, in fact, it’d probably make a pretty picture. My finger hovered over the shutter button when suddenly he looked up.

A girl with swaying black hair walked into the frame beside him, a pair of drumsticks in her hand. He smiled and leaned toward her, getting very close actually, and then they both laughed in unison.

Is that his band member? Why’s she laughing so hard? It’s not like he’s that funny of a person.

With a click of my tongue, I zoomed in closer to the pair, the camera whirring as it focuses. But out of nowhere the image of those two disappeared, and all I saw was grey. That’s strange, did I break it?

I zoomed back out, nearly catching my breath when a pair of dark eyes stared back at me through the viewfinder.

Right in front of me stood a boy with light brown hair, a grey sweater, and two dark eyes, standing so close that he was barely two feet away.  For a moment it felt like the world paused as I found it hard to look away.

“Sorry, I’m sorry. Am I in the way? I wasn’t trying to take a picture of you or anything, I just, of the stage. I was trying to…” I sputtered out some incoherent words that tumbled over each other.

“No, no, you’re fine. It’s my fault. I got in your way.” A sweet smile that I swear belonged to some prince in a storybook, spread across his face. “I just saw you looking so passionate about what you were doing, and it was- “

My god, he saw me being a stalker with Taehyung. This guy probably thinks I’m a freak.

“Strange?”

He shook his head. “It was nice.”

I turned to the side so hopefully, he doesn’t see that my face was turning an embarrassing shade of pink. Who was this random boy and why was he saying such sweet lines to me. Not that I’m complaining.

I cleared my throat and tried not to meet his gaze. “I was just figuring out how to use this thing. I’m supposed to take pictures of the band playing here today.”
His eyes lit up so that they were almost sparkling. “Really! Well, that makes me feel better that someone like you is in charge of pictures.” He rubbed the arm of his sweater shyly “I’m actually the keyboardist.”

No way. He’s a part of Taehyung’s band?

“I forgot to introduce myself.” He leaned toward me a little with a hand outstretched. “My name is-”

“Jimin!” Taehyung’s voice boomed through the speakers shocking us both and we turn to see him leaning into his mic. “we’re starting rehearsal.”

So Jimin is his name.

Jimin hesitated for a second, looking almost reluctant to go. But he threw me a quick little wave before heading down.

“My name is Leah by the way.” I blurt out, for who knows why. He turned back to face me, the edges of his lips curving upwards. “See you later, Leah.”

I watched closely as the boy in the grey sweater heads back toward the stage, taking his spot behind a set of keyboards. The heat from my cheeks was hot against the back of on my hand. Man, it’s feels like such a long time since a guy’s smiled that sweetly at me. I must be getting old.

But I couldn’t be happy for long because immediately I felt the hair on my arms stand on edge, from the strange feeling that someone was watching me. Slowly, I turned to face the middle of the stage where Taehyung was still huddled over the mic. His eyes were darker than usual shadowed by his bangs swinging over his face.

Maybe I imagined it, but for a quick second, it looked like he was glaring at me.