part 2

Fizzle Out

The following months go smoothly. Baekhyun makes sure for Chanyeol to consume his meals on a regular schedule and takes the medicine prescribed on time. Indeed,Baekhyun is a good caretaker. Since Chanyeol is unable to move, Baekhyun would bath him on the bed twice a day which are in the morning and evening. ing his pajama shirt and pulling the pants down,leaving the pampers only, he wipes Chanyeol’s limbs with a wet towel gently. for the face, he uses wet handkerchief for cleaning part. Then, he dries Chanyeol from head to toe with another towel.

The worst part is yet to come.

Being immobile is tough as Chanyeol cannot even go to the toilet himself. So he wears pampers. Unfortunately, he needs someone to change his diaper. This time,it is Baekhyun’s turn. Baekhyun’s face remains stoic while cleaning the most private part of his master but his inner is in turmoil. Heat rises up to his cheeks because it is his first time looking at other man’s anatomy. However, Baekhyun’s case is different. He is taking care his master,this kind of circumstance is inevitable. There’s no way he will change Chanyeol’s diaper and clean that part with his eyes shutting close.

“Hey,why are you taking so long down there?” Chanyeol scowls.

“ You are delusional. I’m just taking off your diaper and haven’t start cleaning down here yet. Be patient,can you?” Baekhyun retorts.

“Really? I thought you were staring at it. Don’t you dare to fantasize it in your mind!” Chanyeol warns him.

“Gross! I have that thing too,Mr Park. Even better,”he replies narcissisly and does not bother to lift his head. Hie eyes focus on the wet towel travels from Chanyeol’s to his manhood. Lastly, he wipes the slit and Chanyeol’s length with the wet towel, a moan involuntary escapes from his mouth. Baekhyun is taken aback as his ears are tinted in red and his cheeks flushes crimson red as well because of embarrassment.

“I’m not doing anything illegal. I’m not doing anything illegal… Oh god,when will these over?” he mentally cries.

 

 

At 10 o’clock,an appointment between Chanyeol and an ophthalmologist specialist will be held. However, Baekhyun and Chanyeol arrives late, an hour late after the promised time because of Chanyel’s stubbornness this morning.

“Mr park, wake up! You have an important appointment today.” several nudges and constant hits with the pillow on his shoulder bear no fruit. Chanyeol still does not budge.

Baekhyun is huffing and puffing from his attempt to wake up the sleepy head Park Chanyeol. he acts strange this morning. Waking Chanyeol up from his deep slumber for the past two months had been easy to Baekhyun. Why this morning he makes a ruckus, protesting about how he is unwilling to go to the Eye appoinmnet.

“Just cancel that appointment. I don’t want to meet anyone,” his voice is muffled as he burries his face onto the pillow.

They cannot miss this crucial appointment,Grandma Park will surely kill him. His eyes roam around the room, searching a way or even more ways to lure Chanyeol. Suddently, his vision lands on various rilakuma sets at the wooden rack.

“Fine, but you can’t blame me if all of your rilakuma merchandises will be donated to the orphanage,” Baekhyun

Promptly,Chanyeol rises from his posture. “ Don’t you dare,” he snarls.

“Oh yes, I will boldly give these up for donation.” Baekhyun retorts.

“I HATE YOU.” Chanyeol exclaims,declares a war between Baekhyun and him. Baekhyun shakes his head,chuckling over the giant’s cute antics.

 

 

“Good morning,Mr Park. How are you feeling today?” the ophthalmologist or Dr Zhang Yixing greets Chanyeol as soon as he takes a seat.

Chanyeol mums,uninterested to chit chat with the doctor. Instead,baekhyun answers the doctor’s greeting on behalf on Chanyeol. “Good morning to you too,Dr Zhang. Mr Park is getting better as the time passed.” Baekhyun forces a smile to cover Chanyel’s rude behaviour towards the young doctor.

“Oh,I see. It seems Mr Byun has done a great job in looking after Mr Park,” Dr Zhang looks at Baekhyun’s bright facial who is in deep shade of red after being complimented by the doctor.

“Have you guys done flirting? I don’t have all day for this,” Chanyeol snickers,albeit he sees nothing, he is not that dumb for not noticing Dr Zhang’s admiration for Byun Baekhyun.

“What Chanyeol means is that,can we start our appointment Dr Zhang?” Baekhyun lets out a heavy chuckle,prying away the tension inside this confine room.

The ophthalmologist corrects his sitting posture,clears his throat before uttering, “Sure.” He is slightly taken aback from Mr Park’s harsh remarks.

“According to the lab report, both Mr Park’s corneas were damaged in the accident. His corneas couldn’t be repaired nor healed and leads him to blindness.” Dr Zhang is going to proceed on his next explanation before Chanyeol cutting him off.

“We are already know about that. My vision loss can’t be treated,I’m blind for the rest of my life. Is that you want to say,rubbing that all over again on my face?!” he chastises,picking himself up from his seat.

“Mr Park,calm down!” Baekhyun kneads his arm,chanyeol has crossed the boundaries. Ever since they arrived,Chanyeol keeps on spatting innocent people. He pities the ophthalmologist to endure Chanyeol’s sudden rage.

“Sit down and listen attentively to the doctor. Don’t in terrupt him,” Baekhyun seethes,Chanyeol embarrasses both of them with his stupid action. “Disobey my words and I swear to burn all of your rilakkumas.” At the mention of his dearly rilakkuma,he freezes. Like being hypnotized,he follows Baekhyun’s command.

“Actually, I have solution for Mr Park’s problem. If only you didn’t interrupt me,you wouldn’t make such conclusion too early,Mr Park. I’m implying that your issue is temporary and curable,” realizing chanyeol is impatient person, Dr Zhang gets straight to the point.

“Corneal transplant surgery. Corneal transplants can help restore your vision, although you might need to use corrective lenses afterwards. It is safe and effective. Based on Mr Park’s test result during last appoinment, you are qualified to do the surgery. When an ophthalmologist determines that a patient requires a cornea transplant, the patient’s name is listed on the Eye-Bank’s surgery schedule. This schedule gives priority to patients with emergency need followed by those who have been waiting the longest. Congratulation to Mr Park,he is chosen for the surgery.” Dr Zhang ends his explanation with a genuine smile and leans his back on the swivel leather chair.

Baekhyun’s forehead is no longer scrunching from confussion. His lips twitches after hearing that there is a way for Chanyeol to see the world again. This indeed is a good news. Chanyeol can get his normal life back.

“I only need Mr Park’s signature before proceeding with the surg-”

“I don’t want to perform the surgery.” Dr Zhang who is fumbling the surgery forms in his drawer abruptly stops. Shock is an understatement because why Chanyeol rejects to perform the surgery?

“jJst give me the forms. I will console him,” Baekhyun assures, Dr Zhang nods and passes the forms to Baekhyun.

 

 

“I don’t want to perform the surgery,” Chanyeol shots firmly upon Baekhyun entering the room. Baekhyun sighs for the umpteenth times, he places the tray on the bedside table which contains a vegetable omelette, tofu with seasoned soy sauce, rice cooked with red and black beans, radish kimchi (kaktugi), and a glass of milk. He drags his feet to the balcony and halts behind Chanyeol’s wheelchair.

After bathing Chanyeol, he requests to enjoy the fresh air at the balcony. So,Baekhyun sat him up on the wheelchair and pushed the wheelchair to the balcony before he gpes to the kitchen to bring Chanyeol’s breakfast.

“Mr Park,stop rebelling. This is all for your own good-”

“What is the point gaining my vision back?! To verify that Kyungsoo is no longer beside me? To confirm that he have left me? To see with my own eyes that I have lost him forever?” Chanyeol turns his head towards Baekhyun and snaps at him.

“Perhaps,it is better this way. At least I can pretend Kyungsoo is still alive but I cannot see him. In this state, I don’t need to confront the cruelty of the world,” Chanyeol continues with a sob.

Baekhyun hugs Chanyeol’s face,caresses his tear-stained cheeks with his thumb and his black jet lock gently.

“Yes,there is a point to get your vision back. I want to show you kyungsoo’s most treasure. He left his treasure with me,” Baekhyun purrs.

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol asks,wrenches his head from Baekhyun’s hold.

“Agree for the eye surgery,gain your eyesight and I will show you his most treasure,” Baekhyun says with finality.

“Fine. where is the eye surgery forms? I need to sign those.” Bakhyun chuckles. Eventually, Chanyeol agrees to cure his blindness.

 

 

The surgeon restores Chanyeol’s eyesight.

The eye surgery is a success, Chanyeol does not suffer from blindness anymore and the news has delighted the Parks’ residence. However, when the bandages are removed, Chanyeol’s demeanor before surgery and after surgery remains expressionless. Chanyeol discharges from the hospital after a week.

“Driver,we are going to my house,” Chanyeol breaks the silence during the ride in the car.

After hopping Baekhyun down from the car, the Black SUV barrels out of the gate and heading to Chanyeol’s house.

 

 

“Good morning,Mr Park!” a maid in the laundry room greets Chanyeol, she has just washed the dirty clothes in the washing machine.

There are only Chanyeol and the maid in the laundry room. Chanyeol does not reply nor nod. He wheels his wheelchair towards the storage cabinet. Considering Chanyeol’s cold shoulder,the maid leaves him alone in the room. she wonders what her Master does in this room but it is not her place to stick her nose into his business. When chanyeol sure there is no one around, he opens the cabinet and takes out a bleaching agent,Clorox.

He takes a swig of the detergent.

“Mr Park!”

The voice startles Chanyeol but he would not back off. The liquid rolls down his throat, he drinks it until the last drop. Baekhyun runs towards him but he is late. Chanyeol has emptied the bottle and throws it on the floor. the bottle lying lifelessly on the floor, Baekhyun’s eyes widen upon seeing it.

“No! Mr Park, throw it up! Throw it up!” baekhyun demands, he is beyond nervous as the grip on Chanyeol’s shoulders tighten. He shakes Chanyeol’s body desperately.

“Never ! Kyungsoo is waiting for me. Wait Baby, I will come to you,” Chanyeol murmurs, his head is getting dizzy and his throat is burning. He coughs uncontrollably.

The, darkness envelops him.

When he opens his eyes, flash of light invades his eyes and beeping sound from a machine resonated in his ear. So,he has not dead yet.

“Chanyeol,you are awake!” Baekhyun pulls Chanyeol into a hug,his long and slender fingers are caressing Chanyeol’s back.

“Why you saved me?” It is a murmur but because of the quietness in the room,Baekhyun hears clearly what Chanyeol is saying.

“Why did you save me,Byun baekhyun? Only one step left and I can reunite with him,” he rasps, his lips quivers and those big eyes are b with tears.

“The world is unfair. How can I live in peace meanwhile Kyungsoo is dead because of plane crash?! Why the world is so unfair to him. Here I am, enjoying life while Kyungsoo…Kyungsoo,” he chokes a sob.

“I don’t want to live anymore. Those dreams were so vivid…they told me that kyungsoo hated me for not following him, they blamed me for Kyungoo’s death. As a husband, I should have protected him but I failed. They told me if I loved Kyungsoo,then joined him in the heaven. Kyungsoo is lonenly up there. By the way, I don't really mind following my husband because nothing’s left in the world for me. the person I love the most is taken before I could even say goodbye. Kill me Byun! Kill me! It’s hurt seeing our memories everywhere. Whenever I go,those places remind me of him. Just ing kill me,Byun Baekhyun ! Let me die !”

Pang!

A loud thunderous sound echoes in the ward.

“That’s…for being stupid…” Chanyeol’s right cheek stung by the sudden slap. He is staggered by Baekhyun’s action,clutching his face and staring at Baekhyun with hollow eyes.

“Do you want more?” Baekhyun barks,his grip on the other’s collar tighten. “Tell me more crap and I won’t think twice to punch you!”

Chanyeol wonders if Baekhyun is only bluffing but the flames inside his eyes seem to burn his whole self. Getting no reaction from Chanyeol,Baekhyun retracks.

“You are selfish,Park Chanyeol. You yourself know the poignancy of losing the one we love. Do you really want your grandma to feel the same? The feeling of losing someone we dearly love?” Baekhyun pulls his face by his chin.“She does not care about me.”“Silly park,” Baekhyun chuckles while releasing Chanyeol’s chin. “After you got into accident, she is the one who runs the company until now. Of course she always busy. If she really abandons you,why would she asked me to look after you,huh? To inform her even slightest of your improvement when you were in a coma?” his rhetorical questions lingering in the air,by any chance waiting for Chanyeol to answer them .

“She never stops going to the church,praying for you. Her façade she puts on her face is not enough to fool me as I aware how fragile and vurnerable the elder is. Potraying a strict and strong woman is her talent but restlessness and sorrow hit her, resulting her to cry herself to sleep every night. However yesterday, she kept crying and begged the doctor to save you in the public, not minding the glances and stares from other people. you should see how broken she was. You are her only grandchild,her one and only family. How could you want to leave her? Isn’t her love enough for you to stay alive?”

A river of warm water flowing freely all the down his cheeks. His never ending shedding tears adorns his face. He screams and yells until his voice gets hoarsed. He slouches on the bed,his body is drained out of energy to even breathe. The pain is unbearable.

Later that night, Chanyeol trembles in his bed, his mouth chants Kyunsoo’s name. Baekhyun steadily crawls on the bed and plops his body beside the giant frame. His chest presses against Chanyeol’s back. Chanyeol’s upper body is secured in Baekhyun’s upper limbs. The warmth radiated from Baekhyun’s body is spread to all over Chanyeol’s whole being. For the first time after the eye surgery,Chanyeol can sleep soundly despite those bad dreams crawl on him.

The next morning,Baekhyun does his routine which is bathing chanyeol. Instead of bringing a toothpaste,a toothbrush, a basin full of water and towel as usual,he drags Chanyeol into the toilet. The wheelchair stops in front of the sink,in which the sink is placed below his chin,hence he can see his refletion on the mirror before his eyes.

“What are we doing here?”Chanyeol knits his brows into a line.

“Remember my promise to show you Kyungsoo’s most trausure,”

Chanyeol is clueless. He does not understand the riddles.

“Are you insane? There is nothing aside us in the toilet,” chanyeol scoffes.

“Look at your front,” Baekhyun says.

“I’m not in the mood to play any games with you,” Chanyeol unlocks the brakes and starts to roll the wheelchair on his own but Baekhyun is fast to stop him.

“Don’t go! Please,just look at your front!” Baekhyun demands.

Chanyeol retracts. He directly turns his head to look in front of him.

“What do you see?” Baekhyun asks wistfully.

“It’s a mirror. Of course I see my own reflection” Chanyeol mocks him.

“Actually…” Baekhyun marches towards chanyeol. He bends his knees as his head reaches Chanyeol’s shoulder. His long limb attaches on Chanyeol’s backside.

“What you see in the mirror is Kyungsoo’s most treasure in the world.” Chanyeol feels a pang in his chest.

“He loves you the way you love him. He gives me his treasure to me to take care because he knows,his treasure is a dumb when he is not around. We already lost Kyungsoo,we don’t want to lose his treasure as well. You are his treasure Chanyeol. if you love Kyungsoo,cherish everything he loved. So, cherish yourself!” Baekhyun cups Chanyeol’s face with his hands. He witnesses the redness and puffiness of Chnayeol big and round eyes.

 

 

Chanyeol thinks he is ready to start working again. Drowning himself in pile of works probably can distract him from the fact that his beloved husband has passed away. However, he plans to work at home since he is unable to walk yet. So,he invites Grandma Park during tea time at the garden to discuss the matter.

“How is my grandson feeling today ?” Grandma Park asks him lightheartedly before sipping a cup of warm earl-grey tea.

“Much better,” Chanyeol replies,offering a tiny smile at his grandma.

“When I was a kid,we used to spend time like this. Do you still remember,grandma?” Chanyeol reminisces his sweet childhood moments with his grandma. Those moments are the best before they became cold and distant towards each other when Chanyeol reached the age of thirteen.

“Yes.of course I still remember, Chanyeollie,” Both chuckle upon the nickname, exclusive for Grandma Park to call him during the old times.

“Just straingt to the point,shall we? In order to heal faster, you need more rest,” Grandma Park encourages him to speak his thought,her hand rubs Chanyeol’s tenderly.

“Well I -” Chanyeol grasps her hand and manages to utter two words before a certain brunet who is rushing at their direction interrupting their conversation.

“I’m sorry for being late,” Baekhyun bows.

“It’s fine. We’re haven’t talk the main points yet anyway,right Chanyeollie?” Grandma Park turns her gaze at Chanyeol but he is dumbly staring at Baekhyun who is sitting on the chair. She steps on Chanyeol’s foot resulting him to let out a yelp.

“Ahh- I mean,yes. Can we proceed?” Despite being shocked with baekhyun’s presence in the discussion, he brushes it off, perhaps it is his grandma’s doing.

“I’m thinking of starting working again next week. Since I can’t go to the company, I’m planning to work at my house. And Mr Byun,thanks for your help all this time but I want to be independent from now on. you don’t have to take care of me after this. What do you think,grandma?” his grandma is a strict woman so he fears that she will disagree with his idea.

Grandma Park and Baekhyun are shocked with this revelation, both of them exchange glances before facing chanyeol.

“Listen,Chanyeollie. Actually, I have something important to discuss as well but I decide to hold on the topic because you have something to tell me . That’s why I bring Baekhyun along,” Grandma Park sips her tea once again and stares deeply into Chanyeol’s irises. Chanyeol is fidgeting in his seat, he can conclude that this meeting has bad vibe as Baekhyun keeps his head low while clasping his hands.

“Byun Baekhyun is your fiance’. He is not merely your caretaker,Chanyeollie.”

“ha ha ha ! This is the funniest joke I have ever heard ! Grandma,since when you have got a great sense of humour?” Chanyeol laughs boisterously while clapping his hands like a proud seal. He even wipes his nonexistant tears at the corner of his eyes.

Grandma Park throws him a serious glare, a I-am-not-kidding-you look. “If you love your position in the company,then follow my order.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The registration office looks like a prison - maybe not to most people, but right now it does to Chanyeol. Baekhyun wheels Chanyeol’s wheelchair in, they look for familiar faces. They do not have to look for too long as Chanyeol’s ears greets the sound of familiarity before his eyes.

“Chanyeol!” Grandma Park shrieks, “What are you wearing??”

He is in a grey hoodie and his favourite old worn-out jeans, headphones around his neck and does not find a problem in that, except that Baekhyun clads in suit. Something you would get married in. Chanyeol cannot believe this. They are just here to sign papers and that would be it. What is with all the extra effort? From the corner of his eye, he sees his grandma shaking his head.

“All I have to do is sign the marriage registration form isn’t it?”

“Dressed like that?”

“What’s wrong? It’s not like I’m walking down some aisle or something,” Chanyeol laughs, which slowly turns hollow as he realises he is the only one laughing in the room. “Well, did you expect me to dress like that?” he points to the suited Baekhyun behind him . The latter looks away from his pointed gaze.

“Don’t be rude,” Grandma Park scolds him and cuts him short while beckoning Baekhyun over with her hand, “Come, Baekhyun.” She holds the envelope that she has been holding under her arms in her hands and takes a white form out, gently laying it out on the table. “The particulars have all been filled out, all both of you need to do is to sign right here,” she explains, pointing to the two blanks sitting side by side at the bottom right hand corner of the form.

Baekhyun takes the pen and turns the form towards Chanyeol. Baekhyun doesn’t know how he is going to put up living with Chanyeol. Chanyeol feels the gaze of everyone in the room on him, picks up the pen, and signs his name (and possibly his life) away. At the last dot, he drops the pen and his shoulders drop too, unsure if a burden was released, or if he has just created more burden for himself.

Chanyeol however, very quickly picks up the pen and signs away. Baekhyun blinks. He blinks again. And again. He looks at their two signatures side by side. It is real. At least in the eyes of the public they are now a married couple.

“Good. Now that that’s done, I brought something because I knew the both of you wouldn’t be prepared. I hope they fit,” Chanyeol’s grandmother takes out a black velvety box, and opens it up to reveal two identical rings. They are Boucheron Quatre Black Edition Wedding Band,wedding band in white gold and black PVD.

“What the - Grandma!” Chanyeol shouts. His deep and loud voice resonates through the room and Baekhyun fears at the thought of hearing this directed right at him.

“Grandma Park, you shouldn’t have,” he tries to speak up. Wearing the ring feels like a bigger burden, a bigger responsibility than merely signing on a piece of paper.

Grandma Park makes no heed to what either of them were saying, forcefully placing a ring into each of their palms. “I can’t possibly see my grandchild get married just like that. Quick! Put it on for each other.”

Baekhyun feels his hands so harshly grabbed by Chanyeol, and the ring was on him in seconds. Baekhyun does the same, with less hurry, but he can tell how quickly Chanyeol wants it to be over.

“Ok. We’ll make our leave now, you can bring Baekhyun to your house. He has brought some of his stuff along too.”