twenty-four.

En Route | Yoonmin

Yoongi had never thought about showing someone the process he had for making music, let alone collaborating on a song. His insecurities about his music kept him from sharing that part of his life, so it was a big surprise to him when he saw how easy it was to work with Jimin. He was easy going and had a lot of input on creating the beats and tweaking the melody where he thought a better tune would fit the mood of the song. Yoongi didn’t really claim this song as his own so he was open to giving Jimin pretty much free reign in regards to how he wanted the product to sound. He also noticed how attentive Jimin was. Whenever he explained something, Jimin put his full attention on Yoongi and it made the whole process much smoother.

While Yoongi was amazed at Jimin’s voice and how creative he could be, Jimin was amazed at the way Yoongi worked. He focused and took the process very seriously and Jimin concluded that it would be obvious to anyone that this was more than just some hobby to Yoongi. He held a look of concentration on his face when he edited different audio files that Jimin had only ever seen on Hoseok’s face when he was working on new choreography. Jimin often found himself glancing at this look and admiring not only Yoongi’s facial features but how soft and comforting the moment overall felt.

“We should take a break,” Yoongi said suddenly as he sat back in his chair. Jimin was sitting in his usual chair, so Yoongi had grabbed one from the kitchen to use. He rubbed the heels of his hands into his eyes and yawned. Jimin checked the time and noticed that they’d been working for four hours.

“We could grab something to eat. I’ll treat.”

“Ah, ramen sounds so good right now. I know this place not far from here, it’s about a twenty-minute walk, but I can take us on my scooter.”

“You’re what?”

“My scooter, rich kid,” Yoongi teased, “not everyone can afford a car. Having a car would be impractical for me anyway, the traffic is horrible and the cabs are ty, but I still needed wheels. The scooter was the compromise,” he finished as he walked to his closet and shrugged on a black leather jacket.

“But why a scooter and not a motorcycle?”

“Scooters don’t need as much gas as motorcycles, they don’t weigh nearly as much, and they’re easier to drive.” Yoongi took out another jacket and tossed it to Jimin.

“It gets windy, you’ll need it. And here,” Yoongi stood up on his tiptoes and retrieved his helmet from the top shelf. “You wear this.”

“What about you?”

“I don’t need one, half the time I don’t even use it cause I never go fast enough to need it.” Jimin gave him a skeptical look and Yoongi rolled his eyes. “Look, do you want to eat or not?”

“I do, but, what if we crash and you’re not wearing a helmet?”

“You worry too much,” Yoongi said with a wave of his hand. “C’mon, if we leave now we’ll beat rush hour traffic,” he said as he left the room. Jimin followed with a queasy feeling and wondered how Yoongi could be so reckless.

While Yoongi locked up the apartment, Jimin stole another glance at him, focusing on his back and watching the way the leather moved with Yoongi. His eyes traveled down and he mentally scolded himself for letting his eyes wander.

“Like what you see?” Yoongi asked when he turned around and caught Jimin staring.

“I wasn’t...um..., you had something on your jacket,” Jimin murmured as he swiped at nonexistent dust on the back of Yoongi’s jacket, his cheeks pink. Yoongi found Jimin’s embarrassment extremely amusing and had to bite his lip to try and hide his smile.

“In that case, you’ve got something on your cheeks.”

“Really? What is it?” Jimin said, feeling his face.

“Your blush,” Yoongi said, pinching Jimin’s cheeks and finally letting himself laugh. Jimin swatted his hands away and pouted.

“Let’s just go, I’m hungry,” he grumbled as he began walking.

“Whatever you say.”

They walked to the parking lot in silence, Yoongi swinging his keys around his finger and Jimin shoving his fists in the pockets of his borrowed jacket. Upon seeing Yoongi's scooter in the parking lot, Jimin's eyes got wide with fear. It was a cherry red color and it looked more intimidating than he thought it would.

“Scared to get on it?” Yoongi asked as he straddled it and situated himself over the seat.

“Maybe..”

“Well, that's why you have the helmet.”

“Still…”

“Jimin,” Yoongi said gently as he took Jimin's hand and pulled him closer, “I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. I've never had an accident or anything close to it and you have a helmet. We won't be going fast enough for you to be injured even if something does go wrong, okay?” Yoongi’s voice remained calm as he tried to coax Jimin onto the scooter but he still looked unsure.

“Do you trust me?” Yoongi asked. Jimin tore his eyes away from the machine to look at Yoongi. He nodded. “Yes, I do.”

“Then put the helmet on and get on the back. Just hold on tight to me and you’ll be fine.” Jimin nodded again and did as he was told before he could overthink it. With his arms around Yoongi’s waist, he felt a little safer, but it still didn’t stop him from jumping at the sound of the engine when Yoongi revved it.

 

---

 

Yoongi’s driving could have been better and by better Jimin meant slower. The only time he felt safe was when they were at a stop light, otherwise, he clung to Yoongi for dear life. He quickly learned that Yoongi had an especially bad habit of driving between cars on the road so he wouldn’t have to sit through traffic.

It was a relief for Jimin when Yoongi finally turned into a parking lot and found a spot. After he turned the engine off, Jimin could still feel his body vibrating and had a hard time finding his balance as he got up. Yoongi grabbed his arm to steady him and patiently waited for Jimin to reorient himself.

“Sorry, I probably should have warned you that the first few times you ride, you can get dizzy,” Yoongi apologized as they walked into the restaurant. It was a small place, if you blinked you’d miss it as you were driving by, but the smells that wafted their way to Jimin convinced him the place was worth a try.

Yoongi lead them to a table in the back that was somewhat private. Jimin sat in the booth opposite Yoongi and set the helmet on the table out of the way.

“The ride wasn’t too bad, right?” Yoongi asked.

“You’re the most reckless driver I’ve ever met.” Jimin’s deadpan voice made Yoongi laugh. He reached for the napkin holder to look at his reflection.

“If you say that now, I’d hate for you to see how I actually drive. I went easy on you today since it was your first time,” he replied as he ruffled his hair to make it less messy from the wind.

“That was your good driving?”

“More or less.” Yoongi flashed his gummy smile, the genuine one that Jimin loved to see and felt his annoyance disappear instantly.

The waitress appeared a few minutes later, a young woman who couldn’t have been older than twenty-two. She was pretty by anyone’s standards with her black hair falling like a waterfall to the middle of her back and a face that held a warm, peachy glow. She took their orders, paying special attention to Jimin which only Yoongi seemed to notice.

“She likes you,” Yoongi said matter-of-factly once she left.

“What?”

“Yeah, she’s into you.”

“She was here for like five minutes, how could you know that?”

“The way she kept smiling at you and fixing her hair.”

“Don’t all girls do that...like all the time?”

“Around you, they probably do because you’re attractive, but no, it’s not a standard thing that all girls do.”

“I never noticed...I never really cared if girls liked me though, so that’s probably why,” Jimin mumbled.

“For someone who works with people every day, you’re really bad at reading body language.”

“I said I was good with numbers, I never said I was good with people.”

“That’s true.”

The waitress came back with the drinks they ordered, water for Jimin and a soda for Yoongi, and then left again.

“So how’d you find this place?” Jimin asked.

“Came here one night...well really one morning, drunk and hungry.”

“You came from a club?”

“No, I walked here from my house. I don’t trust myself to cook under the influence.”

“Speaking from experience?”

“Maybe…”

“Well, now I have to know the story.”

“What’s in it for me?”

“You tell me your embarrassing story and I’ll tell you mine.”