02

Emissary

“James must be laughing. First, my photoshoot is in the wastelands in the middle of nowhere and now he wants us to take some ancient car to get there? I swear he must think we are living in 2018 or something.” Rose whined for the fourth time, her high heels digging into the gravel as she flapped her arms around trying to support her point across.


“Miss Rose just think of this as a road trip.” AI Choi pipped in cheerfully, trying to be ever so helpful in getting Rose to get off her high horse. It was hilarious to see a spoiled rich girl complain about every single thing, and if I had more patience I would have played around with her more. 


“Stupid piece of metal do you even understand what we are talking about? I'll rather be caught dead than be driving this piece of nonsense. We have fly-ships, hell we even have supersonic speed trains. This! I won’t sink that low.”  I watched AI Choi gently pat Rose’s arm in a comforting manner, her harsh words not affecting her mood whatsoever. Rose instead shook her arm off her, sighing over and over again before sitting herself on the two suitcases that she managed to drag through the commotion of the town centre


I had to give it to her, she was dedicated to the fashion industry, and my hand-selected bag of stylized looks for the photoshoot was only a small part of what she was bringing. If I was in her shoes, I would have ditched those heavy bags as soon as I had the chance, maybe even throwing one at Enmity on my way out. Surely it would have smashed his nose into good two pieces.


“Ugh, I should have gotten you re-programmed before we left.” Rose moaned her hands digging through her designer purse, her lips lifted as soon as she found her cell phone. It was one of the latest models that C21 has designed, only two days ago. Rose’s father gifted it to her to silence about the multiple love affairs that he was having behind her mother’s back. It was a pitiful situation and for about a couple of seconds I felt guilty for Rose, but then the reality of her using her father, just like he was using her hit me. C21 was filled with people like them, people like Enmity. 


Rose scanned her iris against the recognition system, her phone was about the same size and shape as an old-style credit card before everything was made virtual. Her device flashed twice before the voice system kicked in, in theory, her cell phone should only respond to her voice. 


“Unbelievable we are stuck in the middle of nowhere,” Rose whined when her cell phone was unable to pick up any signal. I felt a chuckle escaping my lips as I watch her try to get her phone to work again, there was no surprise. C21 was far too advanced to the rest of the world. While Rose had a new C21 latest gadgets, older districts like Wrath were still using old technology, yet you never saw my people complain. C21 was forming leeches in their society, it was so stupid for me to believe that it was any different. 


“I better win a Fashion Icon Award for my misery.” Rose shoved her cell phone back into her purse before throwing it onto the ground. Her breathing turned quiet, almost sounding like a panting gasp. AI Choi quickly picked up her purse from the ground, offering her something to drink from the mini-fridge that she was carrying around but it was as if Rose become deaf, it was irreversible for what was about to come. Her heels kicked against her suitcase as she was screaming, it sounded like somebody was botching her alive. Rose was having one of her tantrums. An 18-year-old was acting like a five-year-old instead. Her hands went straight for her long hair, tugging it harshly as she was ear-splitting screeching for her ‘Fashion Icon Award’. 


“Miss Rose please calm down.” AI Choi begged, but it seemed to have set Rose off even more. I lifted my gaze to watch the blue sky, sighing under my breath as I tried to ignore Rose’s screams. How did my life become like this? I remember vividly that my goal in life was to protect C21, to protect those who I love and care about, to protect Enmity, to protect our special division. Now I was stuck babysitting an 18-year-old instead. Pathetic. 


I turned my attention away from the sky, Rose’s screams seemed to have slowly begun to die out as AI Choi begged for her to calm down. I made my way over to the silver Land Rover Discovery, Rose was right about one thing. It surely was old-fashioned but rather than throwing a tantrum I felt excitement invade my veins. I loved this, the feeling of going on a road trip, it was like I was going on a secret mission, which was sort of right. I turned the ignition on, the engine roaring alive which trailed tingles down my peripherals. Proxy Exultant would have loved this. Just with that thought alone, my bad mood soared, I needed to stop thinking about my past. There was no longer advanced division which I was a part of, there was no longer them, especially him. Not until I will have his blood on my hands. 


“Come on Rose, let’s get that Fashion Icon Award!” I shouted through the window, Rose gazed up at me through her tearful eyes as AI Choi was bringing the bags over to the car. Rose visibly cringed at the sight of the car, her feet glued to the ground and I scoffed at the sight. This car was certainly a lot better than what I had to go through when I was a proxy, it was not always the glam and honour even when I was part of the special division. Yet Rose was acting like a spoiled brat and I had to stop myself from getting agitated over her. Not yet, she was vital. 


“Did you not hear what I said Hana, I rather die than step one foot inside this car!” Rose screamed, her hands circling her frame as she stood up. AI Choi rolled her two suitcases over to the car. Rose nibbling on her shaking bottom lip as she glanced around. There was no help coming to take her to the photo shoot, she knew it yet she still refused to budge. She was persistent that was right, and maybe I could have appreciated that quality in her if it was not for the fact that we needed to get to that shoot soon. The longer she mopped about, the longer it will take. 


“Fine, let me just put a bullet through your head then,” I shouted, Rose, winched at my words as AI Choi held the passenger’s door open for Rose to come in.

 
“I’m joking, come on Rosie it’s going to be a one-off. Then you can tell James everything.” I wasn’t joking, but she did not need to know that. Rose strutted over to the car, completely ignoring the nickname that I was calling her, and with a grunt, she slipped into the passenger’s seat. AI Choi made herself comfortable at the back, flashing me a giddy smile that I noticed through the rearview mirror.

“I swear if you tell anyone about this I will fire you and throw you out onto the streets. I will get my father to stop you from finding another styling job.” I turned my head towards Rose as she was buckling in her seatbelt, still complaining about the leather seats being uncomfortable and how stuffy this car was. 


At least it was clear where we both stood. I gently brushed her hair away from her forehead, Rose irises gawking at me. “What would you do without me? Face it, without AI Choi and me you would be done for.” I said it without any malicious intent. Over the six months that I knew Rose, it was clear that she was a broken spoilt child, only eighteen but yet ruined. She annoyed the living hell out of me, but yet something deep down at my icy heart was stinging. Was it any of her fault that she was raised in the way that she was? No.


“Oh Shut up Hana and drive this junk. The quicker we get there the better I will feel.” The corner of my lips lifted, a small smirk was glistering as I pulled out of the area. Rose was annoying but she was a key. 


X


“I thought you all might have gotten murdered by the proxies at C21. What was the commotion all about?” James greeted us as soon as we stepped out of the car. Rose threw her heavy purse at James without a single fear and I had to cover my mouth with my palm to suppress my laughter as AI Choi rushed to apologize. 


“None of your business James!” Rose screeched before making her way over to greet the amused staff. I raised my eyebrows at James as he approached me, brushing Rose’s outburst away with a mumble of ‘Teenagers’. 


“Hello Hana, looking as beautiful and happy as usual.” James chirped, sarcasm rolling off his tongue like honey as I simply threw him my middle finger before following a directing staff at the stylist's hub. 


“Wonderful.” I heard him mumble.


X


“So we want this photo shoot to show a powerful image. Somebody that has gone through hell but yet stayed on top. Our company seeks to empower individuals through fashion statements.” Jinri concluded her mini-presentation with a round of applause coming from the staff surrounding her. I glanced at Rose from the corner of my eyes, her lips smiling as Jinri approach her. Jinri was the big upcoming photographer, similar age to Rose. She was very passionate about the project and I felt somewhat of respect for her. At least she seemed genuine compared to the leeches surrounding us. High-profile stylists, directors, fashion crew, all faker than C21 itself. 


“Did you hear that apparently, Proxy Ire is still alive?” I heard James say, his proximity irritating me. His face showed a fake curious smile, I felt my nails dig into my skin as my fist tightened. 


“James, shut up,” I said, slightly waving at the hairstylist as she rushes Rose off to the makeup room. James was somebody that I despised the second I laid my eyes on him, surprisingly he did the same thing.

“Hana I do not trust you, why have I never heard of you before?” His daily question exasperated me, my eyes rolling as I turned to face him. For an ungifted human, he surely was pestering me a lot. 


“James, have you heard of Rose before you found out that her daddy is rich? Nope, so excuse me before I will try to straighten your face out with my fist.” I flashed him an innocent smile, gently using my palm to pat his shoulder as he towered over me. I saw his jaw tightened, his eyes glaring in anger as I joyfully sidestepped him.


“Oh and don’t worry, Rose’s money is all yours. If you will survive for long enough that is.” 


X


“Hello we are looking for Min Hana, have you seen her around?” I rested my head in my hands, staff rushing around the set during the photo shoot. My ears pick up on the fact that somebody has called me. I raise my red laced eyeballs from my hands, the sleepless night finally catching up with me as James directed his finger straight at me. That .


I saw two Proxies approaching me. There was nowhere to run away without attracting attention so I made myself comfortable in the director’s chair and happily greeted them.


“Yes is there something I could do for you?” I hissed out, James smirking at the sidelines as Rose posed for the millionth time that day.

“Yes, we are from D-93 junior division.” I raise my eyebrows at them, my eyes trailing their frame as I tried to examine them very carefully. Two young guys stood in front of me, obviously recently graduated from the trainee program as they appeared not a day older than Rose. No visible weapon, probably symbolized that they either wielded great offensive powers or were here to do dirty bidding from a higher-up division. 


“Right. What can I do for you?” I asked, my eyes burning at the taller guy standing right in front of me. He stood tall and proud, his groomed golden hair shining with the sunlight. The aquiline nose rippled as he squinted at me, his prominent cheekbones complementing his features well. He possessed a latent power, for a rookie he certainly was holding his own. 


“Yes, we would like to take you in for some questioning.” He stated, his partner swallowing his saliva nervously when my eyes darted at him. It was like yin-yang, obviously whoever sent them had my sense of humour. His much shorter partner sported jet black long hair, tied up into a messy ponytail as his glasses framed the bridge of his nose. He, on the other hand, was struggling to maintain his eyesight with me. I could just stand up and he might be shivering behind his partner. 


“I’m sorry boys, I am very busy right now. I’m sure you can understand.” I stated, crossing my left leg over my right as I turn my attention away from them. My long nails tap against my chair as I inspect the progress happening at the photoshoot.

“I’m sorry ma’am but we have been given orders.” The taller guy intercepted his fellow companion nodding. 


“Orders by who?” I questioned, my bad moods soaring, even more, when the taller guy stepped to be at my eyesight again. Damned rookies.


“Our superior.” He stated, his hands searching something through his pockets. I raised my eyebrows at him, scoffing once he got a handwritten questioning notice and handed it to me. I ripped envelop open, scanning briefly through the request before scraping the paper up. Ridiculous and so old-fashioned, only one sick proxy would think of that. 


“I’m sorry, your superior has to wait. If he is that keen he is more than welcome to come and get me himself. Otherwise good day gentlemen.” I flashed them a brief smile before pulling myself up, my high heels clicking on the pavement as I march towards Rose, staying out of the sand. 


“Ma’am this is serious, you are being called in for questioning. It is a criminal offence to refuse to come with us.” The golden boy was following me, his strong arms gripping onto my shoulder as to stop me. Before he could even react I had my elbow smashed against his ribs as he was wailing in pain. It certainly was hurting a lot more for him than me as he was gripping onto his upper abdomen cavity. His breathing was shallow and irregular, his partner sprinted over to us with an electric baton. I scoffed at them, mumbling ‘how original’ under my breath. 


“Ma’am you are under arrest for refusing to come with us and assaulting a proxy.” The dark-haired guy stated in a shaky tremor as he was pointing his baton at me. The little scene was causing other eyes to dart in our direction. I clicked my tongue against my teeth in annoyance, this was no good. I could not bring attention to myself. That meant I could not dispose of them in front of everyone.

 
I lifted my wrists, seeing the shorter guy visibly flinch. D-93 must have been in trouble if they were promoting trainees like him to become rookie proxies. He was not ready, but that made no difference. Easier to dispose of. He seemed to 
realise what I was doing, his shaky fingers clipping hand-cuffs around my wrists. His injured partner slowly took out his baton, before directing me towards their fly-ship. 


“HANA!” I heard Rose shout as she was rushing over to me, the golden boy harshly pushing her away once she tried to get past.

“Big mistake.” I hissed in a whisper, his eyes darting towards my frame before leaving Rose on the ground. 


“Rosie I will be back soon, we just had a misunderstanding,” I called out to Rose who was now surrounded by the crew, James helping her up from the ground as AI Choi was examining her for any injuries. I could not see her anymore as my view was blocked by a metal door of the fly-ship. A653 sturdy little old thing would require a good force blast to pull it down. I turned my attention onto the two rookies, the golden boy taking his place as the pilot while the shorter scary cat took to watch. 


“So who is your superior?” I questioned once I felt us moving off. Golden boy was busy trying to communicate with the base so he was out of the picture for a good five minutes. More than enough time.

“None of your business.” Cat boy was no longer scared and I felt laughter bubbling up in the pit of my stomach. He thought I was cornered. 


“Special division proxy or just a senior one?” I asked again, I saw uncertainty flash in his eyes. His lips parted slightly as he gaped at me, my eyes examining the door. “H-How do you know about the special division?” He questioned, bingo. Another clear indicator of why he was not ready to be a rookie proxy. Rule number ten, never acknowledge D-93 having a special division to anyone outside D-93. In my arrogant triumph, I smirked at him. It was just a small pouting of my lips; my eyes narrowing at his presence. 


“Would it be Proxy Enmity? Only he would fail to prepare his rookies to face me. His arrogance is his bad point.” Fear flashed before his eyes, his breathing become ragged as the golden boy was still trying to get in contact with the base. I could almost see the silent panic happening in his brain. His pupils were dilated, heart certainly racing. Brain most likely firing all sorts of impulses to the revelation of who I was. Seems like Min Yoongi forgot to inform his dear rookies that they were arriving for their death. Ironically only he would underestimate me. 


“My ex surely has a sick sense of humour, you know kid it is nothing personal. But unfortunately, you will have to die. Don’t worry, I will pick a nice place for you and the golden boy to rest.” His brain was seizing up, and for a moment I felt bad for him. It was not his fault, it was all Yoongi’s fault, but revenge needed sacrifices. It was sickening to hear myself say those words. 


“B-But if you do that then everyone will know who you are.” His words sounded so high-pitched, his arms flapping almost in a comical fashion. He appeared sickly pale and in no doubt will end up sick.

“Sweetie, I’m sure they already know who I am. It is part of my game.” 


X


Golden boy and the scary cat never ended up communicating with the base. Min Yoongi failed again.


Step two is completed.