four

so you think you can change me

 

Baekhyun gently ran his fingers through Kyungsoo's hair as he cried into his neck. Awkardly, Kyungsoo was sitting on Baekhyun's lap but he didn't care that this situation might've been uncomfortable to his friend, he needed the comfort, not Baekhyun. And Kyungsoo thought he was doing a good job.

Baekhyun whispered encouraging words in his ear and told him everything would be okay but would it?

He had found out the man he was talking to was basically cheating on him with multiple women. He had only known Jongin for a three weeks at best so why did it hurt so much? He gathered that it was because he had created this image around the man: charming, trustworthy, kind. And Jongin managed it to break it without remorse...Thats what made it worse.

Jongin didn't have no form of sympathy on his face. He just repeated the words he had told someone else meaning Kyungsoo was just one of his "es."

Kyungsoo took a break from social media too. He was being dramatic, he knows it. But he didn't care.

He swore he wouldn't be the type to be all sad and broken after a break up but here he was contradicting himself. Even with his previous breakups, he never felt pain like this...and it was honestly because he never got cheated on. Arrogantly, he thought he would never get cheated on because with his face, who would want to cheat on him? But men are men. They don't care how beautiful a person can be, if they want their wet, they're going to get it wet from somewhere.

But he did attempt to get back on.
He posted a few selfies here and there when he managed to feel cute which was hard because he hardly felt cute now, he just felt down. All because of a ing man.

It wasn't until he was mopping in his bedroom one Friday night that he realized how stupid he was. It was his fault. It was his fault for believing a man he's only known for a couple of days wouldn't cheat on him. It was his fault for building that much trust with a man. Maybe if he was smarter, he wouldn't have gotten cheated on.

Maybe if he became a , he wouldn't get cheated on.

But then he thought, "how could I get back at Jongin?"

But why would Jongin care what he did if he never cared about him in the first place?

Kyungsoo huffed, trying hard with impatience to figure out how would he move on from this situation. Become a hoe or be mature? Or why not become both? How about he break hearts the same way Jongin did...and break his heart, somehow. Kyungsoo wondered if entertaining this idea was even worth it.

He concluded, no.

 

Baekhyun ended up convincing Kyungsoo to go out with him, his exact words being, "No reason to be depressed over a man who never cared about you." Kyungsoo figured his friend had some form of wisdom so he rebelled against being that cliche movie scene where the girl is soaking in her room while eating ice cream.

They had decided to go to a "fancy" restaurant, Baekhyun promising he could afford it because his dad was friends with the owner. While waiting for their table, Kyungsoo heart jumped once he had been notified that Jongin had texted him. Can we talk? Can we talk, Kyungsoo thought. Imagine using someone for while cheating on them and then having the audacity to text that. Kyungsoo didn't have the desire to text back, instead he ignored Jongin and went back to listening to whatever Baekhyun was rambling about.

 

But because he could careless what his friend was saying, he managed to block him out and unknowingly stared off. He didn't even realize he was staring at someone until they wave their hand to get his attention. Kyungsoo jumped after noticing what he was doing and then sent the man an apologetic smile. The man smiled back but his stare lingered. Kyungsoo could figure out what that "look" meant in any situation. He was attractive, mostly Kyungsoo's type (except him being light skin, he preferred his men darker) but with his "breakup" with Jongin, he wasn't interested in anyone so Kyungsoo went back to Baekhyun's rant and ignored the man who clearly wanted him.

The pair was seated at a small table not too long after. They were greeted with a friendly waiter and quickly ordered, Kyungsoo being basic by requesting for a cheese burger while Baekhyun asked for a steak. "This place is nice, huh?"

"I guess..."

"...We haven't uploaded in days, ya know?"

Kyungsoo cringed at his unprofenalism, he hadn't realized he was abusing his platform by abandoning social media. His income and career depends on social media but yet he's treating it as if it holds no impact on his life. Kyungsoo runs his fingers through his hair and say, ", you're right. We can film a makeup look tomorrow."

"Meh. I'm tired of those. Lets do a q&a, we haven't done those in a while."

"That's fine too."

"So..."

"So?"

Baekhyun smirked. "I finally think I'm starting to catch Chanyeol's attention."

Kyungsoo sighed. "What makes you say that?"

"Chanyeol ing stared at me for ten seconds straight today, I counted. And his stare was one of those 'I think I might be interested in you' type stares."

"Just ask him out then." Kyungsoo told him, not really interested in talking about Chanyeol or anything as a matter of fact.

"Ask him out?" Baekhyun scuffed. "Kyungsoo, we don't ask men out. They chase us, not the other way around. I thought we established this."

He sighed. "Yeah, you're right sorry."

Kyungsoo, for the first time, thanked god that his father decided to call him, forcing him to not deal with Baekhyun which is honestly what he needed. "Hey, daddy." He answered, trying to sound as happy as possible.

"Where are you?"

"I'm with Baekhyun."

He heard the older man hum. "I need you to get home as quickly as possible after you're done hanging out with Baekhyun, do you understand?"

Kyungsoo brightened. "Daddy, you bought me a present?"

"Um," He could tell his father was thinking what to say. "It's just...It's just an unexpected surpirse. Just try to prepare yourself, okay?"

Kyungsoo frowned, not liking that he had to "prepare" himself to go home. "Daddy, is everything okay?"

"Of course, of course. Just don't stress yourself out. I'll see you in a little."

When Kyungsoo hung up his phone, he could feel his eyes heating up. He was already under stress and based on the tone of his father voice, his anxiety was up and he was extra senstive. He played with his straw to help calm him but he got angry when he realized his father should've never told him that. He was already having a bad time but that call just made it worse and all Kyungsoo wanted to do was cry. Yes, he knew he was being dramatic but he was incapable of controlling his emotions.

"Are you okay? You're eyes are watering."

Kyungsoo shook his head furiously, lips trembling. "No, I'm not. My daddy just told me he has an unexpected surprise for me at home and to prepare myself."

"What's so bad about that? Your dad always surprise you with gifts. He knows you just had a bad break up so I'm sure he just wants to make you feel better."

"No, Baekhyun," His voice begin to get smaller, tears already pouring from his eyes. "I can tell by his voice that its something serious and I know I'm not going to like it. This is just too much."

"Hey, hey," Baekhyun reached to grab Kyungsoo's hads. "I'm sure it's not that bad. I don't want you stressing yourself out, okay? I know things aren't good right now but it'll get better. When you go home, it won't be as bad as you think. I promise."

Kyungsoo smiled gently at Baekhyun, wondering how he managed to find such a good friend. He wiped his tears away and said a quiet, "Thank you."

 

The rest of the night went smoothly. They ate and enjoyed their food together and Kyungsoo was surprised at how he was able to relax himself. In that moment, he had forgetten about Jongin, his father, all the stress that was attacking him. Baekhyun had even managed to get a few chuckles out the boy, something he hadn't done in days. Kyungsoo was trapped in a laugh attack as Baekhyun told him how he almost had to fight a girl because she tried to skip him in a waiting line. He tried to catch his breathe but failed to. It wasn't until he felt a large hand touch his shoulder that took the laughter away from him. He looked up, astonished to see that it was the man from earlier who was staring at him.

"I'm sorry to bother your fun but I just had to come by and ask you question." The man told him with a smile on his lips.

Kyungsoo frowned, looking at Baekhyun who was also frowning before turning back to look at the man. "How can I help you?"

"I saw you earlier," He told him. "And I couldn't believe how gorgeous you were."

Kyungsoo groaned internally but said, "Thank you," nevertheless.

"Is there any way I can take you out? I'm Insung by the way." He held his hand out.

Kyungsoo greeted him by shaking his hand before saying, "I'm Kyungsoo."

Insung took his hand back. "Kyungsoo, well can I take you out?"

He could tell Insung was way older than him, probably thirty five at best. He was only twenty two but he was never against dating someone older than him. And to add, the man was handsome as hell. He was tall, pale, a simple but yet well-kept look. Like he claimed earlier, he was his type except his skin tone. Jongin was literally the embodiment of what he loved in a man, feature wise, but he could careless about that guy anymore. Jongin probably ruined his type.

"I'm sorry, Insung. I just had a bad breakup not too long aso. You caught me in a bad time."

Insung nodded. "That's completely fine," He confirmed. "But let me give you my business card, and if you ever feel like being taken out, just know I'm here."

Insung gave him a thick white card with a golden rim around it. He stared into the paper and notice the company name immediately. "You work for Starlight?"

Starlight is one of the most succesful electronic commerce in South Korea, a million dollar company growing more powerful day by day. Kyungsoo was immediately intimidated but he pretended not to be by just giving a small smile when Insung responded with a strong, "Yes. I'm the CEO."

"I'll think about it."

Insung mouth upturned. "I hope you make a good decision. Good night."

"Good night." Kyungsoo watched the man bow before taking his leave. He turned back to a mouth-hanging open Baekhyun.

"How the are you that lucky to get asked out by a millionaire?"

Kyungsoo shrugged. "I don't know and I'm not interested."

Baekhyun's face redden. "Kyungsoo! Did you not just hear what I just said? A millionaire just asked you out. We always said we wanted to find rich men to marry so we can use them for their money, what the is wrong with you? You only knew Jongin for three weeks! Three weeks, Kyungsoo! Don't let this little breakup block your blessings."

Kyungsoo rubbed him temples, feeling a headache coming in. "I don't care about that right now. I genuinely just don't want to date. I don't trust men and I'm not dating for a while," He confirmed. "And you, Baekhyun. You know how I felt about Jongin. You know how infatuated I was with him. He was so sweet to me and I had never been treated that way. He made me feel like he cared," The tears started falling for the fifth time that day. "But in the end, he manipulated me. He took advantage of me. That hurt, Baekhyun. It doesn't matter if I haven't known him for that long. I literally just found out the guy I thought cared about me was cheating on me a few days ago. Can you please just give me some ing time?"

Baekhyun knew he shouldn't had snapped on Kyungsoo. He put himself in Kyungsoo's shoes and realized he would've been heart broken if Chanyeol cheated on him after only two weeks of talking (not that they were dating). "I'm sorry. I won't criticize you anymore."

"Can we just go?"

 

The ride back to Kyungsoo's house was tiresome. He had to force himself to not think about Jongin or he would end up crying again. And on top of that, he had to force himself to not think about his father but that was much harder considering they were getting closer and closer to his house. He listed a numerous of things that his father could've possibly meant by saying "an unexpected surprise", but nothing seem to grasp the full seriousness of the situation. He was left with no clues and that just made him more frustrated.


When Baekhyun pulled into his driveway, he wondered if his friend could hear how loud his heart was beating. He then wondered who's car was parked behind his. A frown grew on top of his brows but he preceeded to get out of the car nevertheless. He gave his good bye to his friend before walking to the front door.

After hearing Baekhyun drive off, Kyungsoo unlocked the door, hands sweaty and all.

He peered into the house, searching for what need to be found and once he caught sight of the treasure, he realized it was filled with nothing but cole. His mother sat on the couch with worridness. She stood from the comforter, her choosing to wear a dress of black more symbolic than anything because he knew it represented the past, the darkness. She didn't smile, afraid if she could, he could tell. But she did rush to him, hesitated, before wrapping her arms around him. "My sweet baby boy. You're so beautiful."

Such excitement could've been asked from Kyungsoo but he burned that want when he pushed his mother away from him. His face flushed red with anger. "The audacity of you to hug me and to pretend as if everything is okay!"

His response did not surprise his mother. "Sweetheart...I just want to make things right. I just wanted to see how you were doing."

Kyungsoo felt more anger flash in his dark cool eyes. "See how I'm doing? You didn't think to see how I was doing when I graduated high school? Or when I fell into a depression as a teenager? Or how about that time I ended up in the hospital because I had a extreme panic attack? Or any other time I needed you!" He rushed his attention to his father and saw the man wearing nothing but a sleeve of guilt. "Why is she here? You think I wanted to see her?"

"She showed up unexpectadely. Had I known she was coming, I would've prevented that. But when she got here, she begged me to let her talk to you."

"Well I don't want to talk," Kyungsoo began to feel tears well behind his eyes. "You had the time to talk to me and now it's too late!" The broken boy rushed into his room, slamming his door loudly so his parents could hear it. He hid his face in his pillow, face reddened, body shaking with sobs. He tried to stop the grief from overtaking him but the more he thought, the angrier he got, and the more angrier he got, the more sadder he grew.

Kyungsoo could feel the vibration moving against his leg. With whatever strength was left, he pulled his phone from his pocket. The boy laughed bitterly as he read:

[A potential baby father]: hey...i feel so ing bad about what happened. kyungsoo, i literally deleted all those girls numbers, i swear. if this was anyone else, i wouldn't give a but...something about you.

[A potential baby father]: listen i know it sounds like i'm bullting but im being deadass. can we start over? we can start off as friends, this time things will be slow and i promise i'll commit to you.

[A potential baby father]: im just so ing sorry, baby. i really want to fix this.

Kyungsoo ignored those texts, feeling it would be unhealthy to respond. He had just went off on his mother who abandoned him at ten years old, the last thing he needed was to deal with some bullting man. He felt his headache blooming and knew it would be better if he went to sleep. And when his worries drifted into a different world, just for a moment, Kyungsoo was at peace.

Notes:

i just realized how much kyungsoo cried this chapter....but anyway im trying to add more to the story so it won't just be boy!jongin, ive created a lot of different ideas to progress the plot and im kind of excited to write it. (and idk why the end notes keep showing my first chapter end note. im new to ao3, i don't know how to work this )