Chapter Three.

Revenir

“Attention, class. We’re having a new student join us from China. Come in!” the teacher called out. I hear the door open but paid no heed to it. I was up until early morning, practicing my dance and was planning on sleeping until next period. “Good morning, I’m Luhan. I hope we get along.” A very familiar voice speaks, and I jolt up from my position. I gape at the baby-faced guy at the front. He had light brown hair, the tips covering his forehead entirely. He was looking at me, mischief obvious in his eyes. Moments later, the teacher coughs, trying to gain the new student’s attention. “Does anyone have a question?” the teacher asks. The girls eagerly raises up their hands. “Kang Minah,” the teacher picks. “Why did you move from China to Korea?” “Family business.” “Aren’t you an athlete?” “Yes, I am.” “Do you have a girlfriend?” I shake my head in disbelief at the audacity of the girls. “It seems like you and Park Eunmi-ssi knows each other so I’ll let you sit together.” The teacher says, completely ignoring the last question.

 

He walks down the aisle, eyes never leaving mine. “What are you doing here?” I whisper as soon as he sits beside me. “Studying, of course.” He replies, mischief obvious in his tone. “No, seriously.” “As I said before, if you ever were listening, I came here because of family business. So, we’ll be meeting every day from now on.” He smiles. Luhan and I knew each other way back from we were children. We met when our parents had a gathering at his house in China. We were only eight at the time.

 

Flashback:

“Eunmi, we’re going to a friend’s house. Come here and I’ll dress you up.” My mom said. She took me to shower and put on a yellow dress for me. “Do I have to go?” the little me asked, clearly not wanting to go. “You don’t have to, dear but Daddy and I will be gone for hours and you won’t see us then.” The thought of not seeing my parents for long scared me and I went with them. I hold their hands as we enter the mansion I was not familiared with. Walking along the path, I see a boy around my age by the garden. “Mommy! Can I go and play with him?” I remember myself asking, pointing at the boy. “Of course, honey but let’s go and greet your aunty and uncle first, okay?” “Okay, mommy!” I nodded eagerly.

 

“Hi!” I whispered to the boy’s ear as he sits alone in the bench. The boy screamed. He spoke in a language I recognize but could not speak of, “What are you saying?” I asked. He stopped talking, his eyebrows scrunched up and mouth agape. That was how we first met. We didn’t know how to communicate, but it didn’t matter. Growing up, we learnt each other’s’ language so we could talk.

 

The bell rang. Rather impatiently, I waited for Luhan outside the class. Minutes passed, and he still hasn’t gone outside the door, so I went inside. I was mildly surprised by the number of girls flocking around him like sheeps. Sighing, I pushed all the girls aside and pulled him with me to the school rooftop where there were less people. “Tour me?” he says, smiling sheepishly. “Really?” I deadpanned. “I rescued you from those monsters and you don’t even thank me?” “Thanks?” it was more like a question. “You know what, let’s just go to the cafeteria.” I walked off. Hurriedly, he jogged up beside me and stayed silent. I looked over my shoulder, glancing at the guy smiling so energetically. “I still can’t believe you’re here…” I said. “Did you say something?” I asked as I thought I heard him mumble a few uncoherent words. “Nope, nothing.” He replied. “The guys would be so thrilled to see you here,” I said, smiling lightly. “I bet they would.” He spoke.

 

“Hey guys,” I greeted. Their eyes widened as they saw who was standing beside me. “Holy- Luhan!” the guys yelled. “Man, what are you doing here?” “I missed you, bro!” “Dude, long time no see!” “I told you so.” I chuckled.

 

In the midst of eating and catching up with Luhan, a guy came up to our table. “Luhan! I knew it was you.” The guy exclaims, looking absolutely shocked. I recognize him. He was in Sehun’s group. His name was Lay, I think. He was taller than Luhan and had black hair. The guy beside me stood up and did a handshake with the guy. I noticed he had dimples like Namjoon does when he smiles. “Man, I didn’t know you go to this school!” voiced Luhan. They chatted for a few minutes before Lay invited Luhan to their table. The smaller guy excused himself from us and kisses my cheek before leaving. “I’ll see you after school, yeah?” he says, walking to Lay’s group of friends. “I’ll wait for you, don’t worry.”

 

As soon as he was out of sight, the guys turn to me. “Aye, what was that?” they tease. “Oh, stop it. You know he meant nothing.” I shrug. “Is it really, though?” they continue. “Guys, seriously? Luhan and I are like siblings.”