NINE.

[ completed ] Ambiguous

Present
He's 25; she's 23

Seven years had passed since the start of Nayeon's friendship with Mark. Nayeon had graduated last year and had been working after half a year from her graduation. Mark seemed to be doing really well at his current work place. He got promoted just a few months ago.

The both of them are still the same; their Friday dinner tradition is still ongoing after all those years. Mark had been living alone in a small apartment he had rented since Jackson didn't want to move out from his family yet. As for Nayeon, she had rented an apartment with Jungyeon. However, Jungyeon will sometimes stay over at her boyfriend's place, leaving Nayeon alone which she had never minded.

During those nights, Mark being the overprotective best friend will stay over at Nayeon's or he will make Nayeon stay over at his. No one within their group questioned about their routine; being their friends for years, their interactions had become a norm for the others. Although outsiders will still be confused about their relationship but both Mark and Nayeon will just shrug their question off.

It probably made it more confusing since neither Mark nor Nayeon had dated after their previous relationship a few years back. Jackson, Bambam and Jungyeon will sometimes discuss about their situation when they're alone. Occasionally, Jungyeon's boyfriend will join them.

"Should we tear them apart for a short while?" The other three gave him an incredulous look at what Jackson had questioned.

"You're joking right?"

"I was, but thinking about it, it might actually be a great plan."

Bambam kept silent at Jackson's suggestion; Jungyeon glanced at the both of them and realized that they were actually considering about it, which made her smacked both Jackson's and Bambam's head lightly.

"Do not even think about it." She stated firmly.

"Look at your girlfriend, Jinyoung." Jackson whined to the other guy who's sitting beside Jungyeon. Jinyoung watched them in amusement as he took another sip from his glass of soju, giving Jackson a gentle shrug playfully.

"Even if we are serious, do you think those two can be tore apart?" This time, Bambam caught the attention of the other three with his question.

"Just watch," Jinyoung spoke up for the first time in this discussion, "They will realize it soon enough."

Jackson, Bambam and Jungyeon sighed loudly at what Jinyoung had stated. That was a line each of them had used at least once in their years of knowing Mark and Nayeon. And each time, the "soon enough" never came.

However, this time, Jinyoung might be spot on.

-

Jungyeon noticed that Nayeon had been spending time alone more than usual lately. She's been coming home way earlier than usual, even on a Friday night. She also noticed that Nayeon stopped mentioning Mark these days. She had secretly asked Jackson about the situation but he said Mark hadn't mentioned anything but instead, he mentioned that an old friend of Mark had come to Korea for a visit.

It was when Mark contacted her on a weekend that Jungyeon confirmed that there's something wrong about Nayeon.

"Jungyeon ah," Mark's deep voice came through from the other side of the phone. "Is Nayeon sick?"

"Huh?" That was Jungyeon's first response. She glanced at Nayeon who's eating chips and at the same time, watching the drama she's been keeping up with. That definitely didn't look like she's sick.

"Nayeon's perfectly healthy." She replied, feeling a little weird. "Is something wrong?"

"She's been saying she's not feeling well every time I called her out for a meet up or something; even when I drove to her workplace-"

Mark got interrupted and Jungyeon could make out a female voice on Mark's side. Even though it's soft, it's definitely a female voice. She heard Mark telling her in fluent English that he will be ready in a few. Is that the friend Jackson was speaking about?

"Sorry Jungyeon, I have to go now. Tell Nayeon I will contact her later."

The call ended, leaving Jungyeon confused for a moment. She took another glance at Nayeon before she went to sit beside her.

"Mark called."

She waited for a response but Nayeon simply just gave her a nod and Jungyeon could tell that she's pretending to be focusing on the drama.

"He said he will contact you later." She kept her gaze on Nayeon but again Jungyeon received no proper response from her.

Jungyeon sighed and grabbed the remote control on the coffee table, turning the television off and made Nayeon look at her. But instead of Nayeon's usual frustrated expression when someone interrupted her drama time, Jungyeon was greeted with Nayeon's crestfallen look.

"Yah Nayeon, are you crying?"

"I'm not," Nayeon forced a laugh, blinking her tears away. "I probably got too into the drama."

Jungyeon rolled her eyes at her excuse. The scene before she switched the television off wasn't a sad one. Nayeon tried to turn away from her but Jungyeon gripped onto her shoulder, making Nayeon look at her again.

"Don't run away," Jungyeon stared at Nayeon firmly even though the other girl was avoiding her gaze. "What happened between you and Mark?"

"Nothing." Nayeon answered almost immediately, "Nothing happened I swear. He did nothing either. It's just... me."

Jungyeon noticed how Nayeon's voice trailed away at the end. She stayed quiet for a short while, giving Nayeon some time to recover herself before she questioned quietly.

"Was it because of that old friend of Mark's?"

This time, Jungyeon noticed how Nayeon's body froze a bit at her question. She didn't press and waited for Nayeon's response, which she eventually did.

She sighed.

"Jungyeon, I think I'm in trouble."

That was the only answer Jungyeon got that afternoon. She stayed patient and didn't press for more; she even called Jinyoung to cancel their dinner tonight. She gave Jinyoung a rough explanation, which he understood that his girlfriend needed to be by her best friend side. She didn't bring the topic up at all, until Nayeon asked to have barbecue meat for dinner.

"I needed some courage to admit this to even you." Nayeon told her while they're eating. Jungyeon didn't understand what did she mean by that at first. It was only when she noticed that Nayeon had been drinking the soju a lot more than she usually does that Jungyeon realized that's the courage Nayeon meant.

"Jungyeon, what should I do?" Nayeon had asked. She wasn't that drunk nor tipsy yet but that little alcohol probably helped.

"What do you mean?" Jungyeon answered and at the same time, was making sure Nayeon ate something at least. She tried to pour herself another glass of soju but Jungyeon snatched both the glass and bottle away from her. For Nayeon who's never a drinker, this should be enough.

Nayeon did not protest but instead, she kept quiet and Jungyeon realized that girl was crying.

"Nayeon?" Jungyeon's voice was gentle. Nayeon had always been one who cries easily but like this? It's the second time Jungyeon had witnessed. The last time was two years ago because of that what's his name? Right, Lee Sejun.

"I don't like how I'm feeling. It shouldn't be like this, it shouldn't." Nayeon rambled and Jungyeon could see that she's holding back her tears. "He was supposed to be just a best friend!"

So, she was right. Nayeon's weird actions lately were because of Mark and that friend of his. It has always been Jackson, Bambam and her wish to see that Mark and Nayeon will eventually realize what they are having. But right at that moment, Jungyeon was regretting it. If it will make Nayeon this sad and broken, she'd rather they just stay as best friends.

Nayeon stopped her rambling and took her glass and the bottle of soju from Jungyeon's side. This time, Jungyeon didn't stop her but she would also be watching how much she's drinking. The two of them stayed quiet throughout the whole dinner; Jungyeon had been cooking for the other girl and had forced her to eat a little to prevent an upset stomach.

Jungyeon watched her best friend in front of her and sighed; she wasn't crying but neither was she talking and when Nayeon doesn't talk, something is very wrong with her. She had taken the bottle of soju and Nayeon's glass away from her. Any more of it, Nayeon won't just be tipsy anymore.

After paying for the bill, Jungyeon went back to where Nayeon was. She watched her for a while then took out her phone from her bag; she's going to risk it and place her bet on those two one final time.

It didn't take long for Mark to arrive at where they were. He had claimed that he was nearby but Jungyeon could tell from his uneven breathing that he had rushed here from wherever he was.

"I think it's better for you to handle her. You've always been the one who calm her down the most."

Mark nodded lightly, taking Nayeon from Jungyeon's and waved her goodbye before he turned his attention to Nayeon again.

"Silly girl, you've never been one to drink." He muttered quietly and sighed. "What exactly happened that you have to turn to drinking?"

"Go away!"

Mark stared at the girl who just pushed her away, a clear surprise look on his face. He stepped forward but Nayeon took a step back instead.

"Why are you here?"

"Jungyeon called and-"

"You shouldn't be here!" Nayeon cut him off and this time, Mark could tell from her voice that she's crying. He tried to take another step forward but Nayeon's shout made him stop in his tracks again.

"Stay right there, do not come near me." She sobbed. "I can't be near you right now. I don't like how I'm feeling everytime I see you. It shouldn't be like this, you're supposed to be a friend. A best friend!"

"Nayeon." He tried again but Nayeon didn't let him.

"Stop there, please. You shouldn't even be here, you should be hanging out with Cecilia. I know she's the girl your parents thought as the perfect girlfriend for you. I wanted to be like how I was when you date Lena. But it's different this time."

She paused; Mark kept quiet.

"It's a little like how it was when you dated Lena. I felt empty, a little lonely too. But I thought it was because I got used to your presence. This time, I hate it. Just the thought of it makes me sad. I get sad just by seeing you; I get sad thinking about you. I just..."

Nayeon stopped there, unable to continue with her uncontrollable sobs. Mark used this chance to step forward to where she is and engulfed her in his arms.

"Let's go home." 

----------

Aha! I believe most of you have been waiting for them to finally realise their feelings like how Jackson, Bambam and Jungyeon does. Here's a pretty uh emotional(?) chapter for you guys. At least on Nayeon's part. The longest chapter from this series as of now. Will the next be longer, I don't know. But yes, this is the huge turning point for the both of them.

I hope this chapter satisfies most of you! And if you're excited for the next chapter, which will be the last, express them with some feedbacks? HAHAHA. It will be great if you guys tell me who's your favourite character in this series even though there's not a lot to choose. 

So, as of now, that's all! Comments will be really loved! Silent readers, share some thoughts on your journey too!

signing off,
lildragongurl.