EIGHT.

[ completed ] Ambiguous

He was 23; she was 21

Mark has always wondered why had Nayeon not dated anyone since high school. He would ask her randomly sometimes and she will just shrug and say that it's not that she doesn't want to but rather, there's no one who's interested in her. It was only after Jackson explained to him that he's the main reason why no one dared to go after Nayeon.

"How am I the reason?"

"Mark, is that a serious question?"

Mark nodded.

"Everyone thought Nayeon was dating you, that's the reason."

After that conversation with Jackson, Mark had told Nayeon to go out there and actually meet more guys. Initially, Nayeon just gave him that 'what are you even talking about' look but eventually, with the help of both Mark and Jackson, Nayeon got herself a boyfriend that year.

The first few months of Nayeon's new relationship was smooth and she did seemed really happy. Those months, like what Nayeon did when he was dating, Mark gave the girl more time to hang out with her boyfriend. When Nayeon tried to protest, he gave her the same reasons she gave him 4 years ago.

But boy, Mark regretted the hell out of it.

After those first few months of the honeymoon period, Mark noticed that Nayeon hadn't been smiling a lot. Sometimes, when they meet, her eyes seemed swollen. Nayeon might have denied it but Mark could tell that she's been crying a lot. However, he also knew that Nayeon was stubborn enough to not tell him because if she had wanted to, she would have.

Which is why he had no choice but to turn to Jungyeon for help. She hesitated at first since Nayeon had made her promise to not tell Mark anything. But after much persuasion and reasoning, Jungyeon gave in.

It's been almost one and a half month. Initially, Jungyeon thought it was just a couple's fight, which was pretty normal when Nayeon first came back to their dorm room crying. But things got worse and the guy actually stood Nayeon up on her birthday. Jungyeon had almost wanted to fight that guy but Nayeon stopped her, saying that it's okay, which Jungyeon knew it's not.

She gave in anyway.

"I wanted to tell you about it so you could at least bring her out." Jungyeon sighed then looked up at Mark. "But she told me not to and said that you have more important things to worry about. I'm sorry."

Mark sighed too.

He knew that Jungyeon wasn't to blame since Nayeon was the one who made her not to tell him anything.

"I suspect that he's cheating on her but I think she's in denial." Jungyeon glanced at Mark who seemed to be in deep thoughts.

"Talk to her, I think you're the only one she will listen to."

"I will drive you back." Mark stood up from his seat, which Jungyeon followed after. There's no point rejecting his offer since she knew that his main point was to look for Nayeon.

Which he did.

Jungyeon offered him to wait in their room but Mark had rejected and she didn't bother arguing with him. It's no use to argue with Mark when he's being like this.

It didn't take long for Nayeon to appear. She was walking with her group of friends, smiling occasionally at what they say but Mark could see the tiredness in her eyes. He was about to walk up to her but one of her friends had pointed his presence out to her.

She waved them goodbye and walked up to Mark who's waiting by his car.

"Hey!" Nayeon tried sounding excited and smiled brightly, in hope that this will fool the older guy. She knew she failed when Mark flicked her forehead.

"Stupid girl."

"You knew."

"Yes I do." Mark answered truthfully then grabbed her wrist, dragging her to the passenger side and opened the door. "Let's go get something to eat. It's rare that I'm off work in time for dinner."

Nayeon got into the car as told despite knowing that they won't be just eating. However, at that point, she thought that the presence of Mark was a great comfort to her.

The car ride was quiet. Despite it being unusual, it's not awkward. He didn't have to ask where did she want to go either, Nayeon recognized the route to one of her favourite cafes.

"Nayeon." Mark was the one who started the conversation after their orders were taken. But before he could even continue, Nayeon interrupted him.

"I know what you want to say. You're going to tell me that I don't deserve this right? Everyone's been telling me that. Jungyeon, Bambam, even Jackson."

"So I'm the only one who doesn't know anything?"

"You were stressed enough with your work, I don't want to add on to them!" Nayeon raised her voice slightly then looked around before she toned it down again.

"You're the last person I want to know about this. But I should have guessed that one of them will tell you." Nayeon sighed exasperatedly.

"Why do you always hide things from me? Four years ago, you hid the fact that you were injured. And now this?"

"I told you, you were stressed enough!"

The both of them sat back against their seat, keeping silent while they tried to calm themselves down. If they were not in public, Mark could swear that they will end up in a huge fight with their temper.

"Okay," Mark started again; the tone in is voice got gentler. "What are you going to do now?"

"I don't know."

"He's cheating on you."

"There's no proof yet. He could just be busy with his work. It's a new job." Nayeon defended her boyfriend.

"You know that's not true."

"Can we end this topic?" Nayeon cut him off, sounding a little annoyed. "I know what I'm doing."

"Nayeon." Mark tried to start again; this time a hint of annoyance could be heard from his tone.

"If we are going to continue with this topic, I'm leaving." Nayeon stated firmly with no hint of backing down. Mark had no choice but to sigh and stay quiet. That was one of the quietest dinners the both of them had together.

No one brought this topic up again; even if Mark wanted to, Nayeon had been blatantly ignoring and avoiding him. Until that night when he received a call from Bambam.

He was out with Jackson at the bar; they were both discussing on the whole topic on Nayeon and his boyfriend. Jackson was feeling slightly guilty about this whole thing since it was a friend he introduced to Nayeon after all. Their conversation was cut off by the call from Bambam.

Jackson saw how Mark's face darkened despite how short the phone call was.

"It's Nayeon."

At those words, Jackson stood up along with Mark. Something isn't right and he's pretty sure it's something to do with that boyfriend of Nayeon's.

On the way to where Nayeon and the others were, Mark explained to Jackson about how the other three spotted Nayeon's boyfriend with another girl along the street. That was enough explanation for Jackson to understand the whole situation.

-

Nayeon was trying her best to hold back her tears but it didn't help when the guy in front of her didn't even seem to be bothered by her. She kept silent behind Jungyeon and Bambam while they confront her boyfriend at the carpark.

"I was just out with another girl, is there a need to act like I've committed a huge sin?"

Jungyeon stepped forward at those words but Nayeon tugged on her shirt, holding her back.

"Are you really acting like a victim now?" He taunted; his gaze fixed on Nayeon who had her face hidden with her hair.

"You're not innocent anyway." He continued with a sneer on his face, "Who knows, you might have already done something with that best friend of yours. You're the cheater, I'm just out here with a friend."

That was the last straw. This time it was Bambam who stepped forward, his fist already clenched. But before he could even do anything, the guy was already on the floor, a bruise formed on the corner of his lips.

Mark had heard everything.

"You're really an , Lee Sejun." Mark glared at him as he brought himself up from the floor, the sneer still plastered on his face.

"So, the other half of the adulterous pair has arrived. Are you here to claim your back? You can have her; I've no interest in used stuffs anyway."

That was the last straw.

Jungyeon stood forward and slapped Sejun hard on his cheek. Before he could even react, Bambam had kicked him in the shin.

"You're really an ." Jackson repeated what Mark had said earlier before he threw a punch at Sejun again that ended their friendship.

Nayeon still had her face hidden when Mark and the others escorted her out from the situation. On the way, Jungyeon gave a glance at Mark who gave her a slight nod, before she left with Jackson and Bambam.

It was after they've left, Nayeon burst into tears. Mark could only sigh and pulled the girl into his embrace, giving her gentle pats on her head. He had seen Nayeon cried many times but not like this, definitely not like this.

That was the night, Mark swore to himself to never let Nayeon cry like that again.

---------

Ambiguous updates are always planned on Friday but I'm really excited to share the last three chapters with you guys so here's an early update. If you guys are lucky, you might even get one tomorrow! The last three chapters including this, is where their relationship starts to change. At least we can tell, not them tho. You guys can start anticipating for proper MarkYeon scenes now.

So we're finally almost reaching the end of this one shot series. Is the timeline confusing? Also, throughout this journey with Mark and Nayeon, do you have any question or favourite part of their lives? Share with me! 

Also, I'm planning a new fic. It probably won't be as light and it won't be a one shot series. There's still a lot of detailed planning to do. Meanwhile, while waiting, you guys may check out "A Special Gift" which is a one shot or "Friends of 2010" which is also a one shot series. 

Other than that, that's all! Feedbacks are pretty much loved. <3

signed, lildragongurl