Eternal Crush

You Are (Please Be My Sky)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Love is not a product of reasoning and statistics. It just comes – none knows whence – and cannot explain itself."

– Eve's Diary, by Mark Twain.

 "'…The novel initially began as a series of letters from Twain to an old friend – Letters to Will Bowen – about their boyhood pranks'… Here it is! 'Mark Twain notes that Tom Sawyer is drawn from real life, but is a combination of the characteristics of three boys whom he knew' - We are gonna use this in our project."

You respond with a short distracted hum, readjusting your chin on your hand without tearing your eyes off your scribblings on the paper.

"Hey, are you listening?"

Before you realize it, your paper is snatched away from you. The other girl scans it, taking in the single word written countless times at the outlines on the page. Letting out an amused chuckle, she shakes her head and gives you back the paper. "I guess I can't blame you, huh? And you were telling me you are over him."

The blush is climbing up your face against your will. You were caught red-handed thinking about a whole different Mark. A certain Mark that you insisted you were not interested in anymore, a helpless crush that belongs to the past.

Or maybe not.

You sigh, hiding the incriminating paper in your bag. "I just… I don’t know what’s going on with me anymore, Syv."

"What is there to know? You are in love, girl." Syv reaches her finger to poke you in the stomach, to wipe away your gloomy face, but you manage to avoid her hand.

How can I call it 'love' when I barely know the guy? "No, this is just a stupid crush I would do anything to get rid of." You bury your face in your hands. "I'm done with it messing my head."

You can feel Syv looking half-fondly and half-pitifully at you, the same expression she masters every time you find yourself talking about the topic. You are so thankful you have her as a best friend. She is the best listener, and so patient with your hopeless situation. What's more, her cheering methods are so good you actually consider her as an expert.

"It has been long, right?" She says.

You nod into your hands. Ever since 8th grade. Please set me free, Mark Tuan. This is the name of the guy you can't stop thinking about, making you frustrated more times than not.   

You take a deep breath. I need to calm down.

You let the silence envelope you two for a while. You listen to the light wind ruffling the leaves on the trees outside, to the bird chirping on the tree near the closest window. To the few students accompanying you in the library packing their things and leaving.

Good. Now I need to focus. You tell yourself. Midterms are approaching fast, and the library is rarely this empty at this period of the year, especially at this late afternoon time. Here you are given a golden opportunity, and you waste it on such a stupid matter.

"Okay," you lift your head. "Let's continue then – "

You are cut off by a sound of screeching soles on marble floor, as if someone is running too fast and trying to stop and make a turn abruptly. The said person bursts into the empty library, startling you and Syv, revealing himself as Jackson Wang.

"Here you are!" He calls out to you, running toward your table. You can see Syv trying to stop herself from widening her eyes at his presence, and you stifle a giggle.

"Hi. Listen. Math exam is in about three weeks…"

"Yeah, I know."

" – Can we please have a marathon lessons until then?" Jackson looks hopeful, and in a great hurry. "Let's say, four times a week? I know nothing."

You quickly check your schedule for the upcoming three weeks in your head. "Sure, as for now, I can do it."

"Perfect! You are my savior." Jackson bolts toward the exit, but then stops and turns around, walking backwards. "Oh, I almost forgot. We need to find a new place for our lesson… let's say I don’t want to be almost murdered by the librarian again." He rolls his eyes, running into a random table he didn't see. "How about – "

"I'm reminding you that you can't do it in your place, remember?" Syv hurries to mention, sending you the look of 'shut up and play along' that you miss, of course "There is this issue that has to be taken care of first…"

"What are you – "

"That leaves your place then, Jackson," She cuts in, smiling agreeably at him.

You look at her with a weird look, then turn to Jackson uncertainly. "Y-Yeah, I mean, I hope it's not a problem…"

"Not at all," The boy answers, too busy fixing his outfit to notice the strange exchange between you two. "Even better. So tomorrow?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter