P1: Chapter Three

The Thirteenth (rewrite)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Three-

 

It turns out that dangerous creatures do not just show up during the night, they also turn up during the day.

Kami stood, her feet rooted to the ground, as she stared wide-eyed at the beast coming towards her from out of the bushes. It wasn’t exactly that big of a creature, it came up to about her waist as it walked on its four legs, but it was its build that made Kami sure that she was in danger. The creature resembled a big cat that could be found on earth with its sleek but muscular body. Instead of fur however, it was covered in some sort of small scales that shined almost like diamonds when the sun hit it. Obviously, from the creature’s skin, it was a hunter and had no reason to hide from other creatures on this strange world.

As its golden eyes stared into her own deep brown ones, Kami could feel the fright building up in her body. She knew she had screamed when the creature first stepped out of the bushes and began its slow prowl towards her, but she couldn’t vocalize anymore let alone move an inch. All she could do was stand in place as it stepped towards her. It was almost as if that nightmare of hers was becoming reality.

Kami’s eyes hardened and twisted into a thin line. I won’t let that happen. That nightmare will stay a nightmare. She moved her right foot back behind her, bending her knees and getting into a familiar fighting stance. I am not weak.

The creature bent its hind legs, it’s back raising into the air like a cat ready to pounce. Its eyes met her own and Kami braced herself for the impact that was coming. As the creature leapt into the air towards her Kami punched her left fist forward and swirled her body out of direct line with the creature so that when it came closer she would be on its right side. She punched the creature right below its throat and quickly backed away, the berries she had found dropping out of her pockets, as it landed and swung itself back around to face her. It didn’t seem like she hurt if that much, in fact her hand stung from the impact. The creature really was covered in scales.

When it looked like it was ready to pounce again Kami got into her stance and prepared herself. The creature lunged forward but instead of going towards her it went towards the berries on the ground. It found a black, pearl like berry and started to eat. Kami relaxed a little but still backed away, keeping her eyes on the creature.

“Kami!”

Startled she turned around to see Kai running towards her, sweat dripping off of his forehead. “What are you doing here Kai?!” she shouted, catching his shoulders as he stopped in front of her and bent over with his hands on his knees.

Looking up at her, panting, he said, “Looking for you. I heard you scream so I came running.”

Remembering their situation, Kami turned around to face the creature just to find herself looking at a slender black covered in a black duster. Kami looked up to see the back of the guy’s head and the side of his face as he looked at the creature. His hair was dirty blond, and his rounded baby face was hardened in concentration. His brown eyes stared at the creature who had stiffened under the man’s gaze. The creature stood up and slowly backed away, fading into the trees before it took off running away.

“Who are you?” Kami asked, her voice barely a whisper as she stared in wonder towards where the creature had disappeared.

The man turned around to face her, a bead of sweat dripping down his cheek but a warm smile on his face. “Luhan, and you are Kim Kami I’m guessing?”

Kami looked at Kai who held her hand, pulling her towards him and away from Luhan. “This guy is strange Kami, and so are his friends. He did something to me, I’m not sure exactly what it was but it didn’t feel right. He and his friends all keep calling me Jongin no matter how many times that I tell them they have the wrong guy.”

Kami was about to ask about these ‘friends’ when four other guys showed up from out of the trees. They were all dressed the same as Luhan and they all seemed to be acquainted with each other as they just started talking.

“What the hell Luhan?!” the tallest one shouted, his face twisted in anger. “Why’d you just run off like that? You even said yourself that this guy isn’t Jongin so why would we even bother with him?!”

“Are you that stupid Chanyeol?” the shortest of the group said, rolling his eyes. “There has to be a reason as to why he looks exactly like Jongin. I mean, come on, this would be some pretty freaky coincidence.”

“I agree with Baekhyun,” the black haired guy announced, drawing everyone’s attention towards him. He seemed to grow a bit nervous with so many pairs of eyes on him but continued to speak when Luhan nodded at him to go on. “It’s just that, none of us remember what happened five-hundred years ago, and there’s only us five. This guy, Kai or whatever he calls himself, shortly shows up right after we wake up and looks exactly like Jongin. He even radiates the same aura as Jongin, so he has to somehow be Jongin.”

“But Tao,” the last of the boys spoke up. “Even if he were somehow Jongin, he has no memories of being Jongin at all. He would be of no use to us, he doesn’t even have his ring.”

The five guys now looked at Kai’s left hand that was still wrapped around Kami’s. Luhan stepped towards the siblings and took Kai’s hand in his own to inspect it. “That’s odd,” Luhan mumbled as he continuously flipped Kai’s hand around and rubbed his ring finger, as if expecting something to be there. He then looked up to Kai’s face in wonder. “You do not have Jongin’s ring, and yet you were able to travel here from some other world. Ho-OW!”

Luhan crouched over in pain, holding his shin. Kami stood there next to him, her leg raised in the air from kicking him. “Don’t you dare touch my brother! You did something weird to him earlier and I’m not going to let that happen again! Who are you and what do you want from us?!”

Chanyeol took a step towards Kami with a deep frown on his face. “Insolent little girl,” he growled as he approached.

“Stop,” Luhan hissed, pain still in his voice as he stood up. Chanyeol froze in place, looking at Luhan in disbelief. “She’s right, we should explain ourselves. It would be rude not to.” He looked at Kami a

Please log in to read the full chapter