3.

Guilty (of holding your heart)

All these upvotes got me like 

Also, it's not inappropriate to write about snow when you're still surrounded by snow XD Remember my conditions haha. But to get back in the mood, here:

Enjoy! 


Ryeowook looked up to the sky, wondering why it was snowing again. He had thought that by skipping Kyuhyun’s tutoring that day he’d get out of school before it got too dark and the snow storm would start, but luck was not on his side.

Mr. Park, their health education teacher had asked him to stay after class, saying he was deeply concerned about him as he had heard many rumors going around in their class. 

Ryeowook didn’t want to bust their asses and tell him that yes, his peers were being immature, especially the guys on the third row, but he couldn’t exactly lie and say everything was fine either.

His teacher had heard it too, his confession. Just like the rest of the school. He knew exactly why all of this started. That was honestly the reason Ryeowook expected he had called him over for, not him flunking his math class. He didn’t really understand what that had to do with anything. Okay, so, maybe he did have a guess why that would raise some concern, but for his health education teacher to seek him out after school?

“I mean it, you should come for tea some time.”

Ryeowook gave him an odd look. Up until now his teacher had been nothing but kind and caring, really, but now he was starting to get a bit creeped out. It didn't help that he had had a rough day at school again.

“Yeah… sure… Oh, look at the time. Gotta run, bye!”

He rushed out of the class, not looking back even once. His heart was racing in his chest and he didn’t stop running till he’d reached the downstair lockers, hiding behind one rack in case Mr. Park would come out the same way and spot him there. Taking his time to calm down, Ryeowook let out a deep sigh, feeling completely depleted.

It was then that he had noticed it was snowing. It looked beautiful, the way the snowflakes slowly fell down, drifting lower and lower bit by bit. He smiled, more calm now, as he looked outside.

Ryeowook had always liked the snow. Maybe it did mean cold weather and slipping on ice, but that didn’t change the fact that it was so pure, so white and beautiful. Magical.

“Ryeowook?” A voice suddenly called and he snapped his head towards the direction it had come from, silently cursing inside his mind when he realized just who it was. “What the- you’re not sick!”

Ryeowook grimaced. He knew that telling Kyuhyun he was feeling a bit under the weather as an excuse to not seeing him had been a bit of a risky move, and there they were, about to start another bout of fights.

Ryeowook really wasn't up to a scolding though, “Yeah, well… I… just didn’t feel too good so I didn’t leave home yet." He almost flinched when Kyuhyun sighed, but then he saw him walking towards him instead of saying anything. He looked at him, puzzled.

Kyuhyun caught his look and sighed again, "What, I’m not a monster. You do look pale anyway.”

Ryeowook quickly cupped his cheeks, tapping them lightly to get some color on them. As if that would do anything to change it. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, but there was a hint of a smile on his face.

Ryeowook almost made the mistake of opening his mouth to ask why Kyuhyun was still there at school since he had their session canceled, but caught himself at the last minute. He chose to stay silent, relishing at the fact that Kyuhyun was standing there, right beside him. And they weren't fighting. He smiled a bit as he admired the view outside, trying not to get too giddy.

“When does your next bus go?”

Ryeowook snapped his head back to Kyuhyun’s direction, surprised that he broke the spell of the moment and that he actually knew he took the bus.

“How did you know-”

“-that you take the bus? Please, you complain so much about the stuffy air and lack of space. And every time you're late, you blame it on the poor buses.”

Ryeowook could feel the tips of his ears burning, “W-well I can't help it if the bus is too full or that I have to be squashed between people with bigger bodies than mine. It's not nice when your sweat mixes with the others’.”

Kyuhyun made a face, “Shut up, I don't want that picture to stay in my head.” Ryeowook rolled his eyes. “Why do you go here anyway?”

“Excuse me?” Now, that was a jump Ryeowook would call sudden. One moment he's saying he wasn't the devil and the next minute he's asking why he comes to this school?

“No, I mean, you live so far away. It would make sense for you to attend some other school closer to your home. Why would you go here?”

“That's- that's none of your business.”

Kyuhyun let out a soft sigh, “Right. And what exactly is my business?”

Ryeowook was surprised when Kyuhyun turned to look at him straight in the eyes. They had not looked at each other like this this close ever before and he could feel his mouth getting dry.

“My…" He wanted to say everything, he wanted to say he held his heart even if he tried to deny it ten times a day, but that was the truth. Kyuhyun had his heart. But that was not why Kyuhyun chose to be with him. In fact, Kyuhyun didn't even want him around. "My math grades,” he croaked out in the end.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and looked away, “Right. So why are you coming all the way here just to bother me with math? Couldn't you find any other school with teachers good enough to get you learn something?"

Still a bit overwhelmed and out of breath, Ryeowook blinked his eyes and looked at the ground.

“You see, like I'm sure I've already said to you a plenty of times before, I got this certain little thing called ‘a scholarship’ for this particular school,” he said with his usual sarcasm, but his tone was soft.

Kyuhyun hummed. If he was interested, he'd ask what the scholarship was for, but he didn't bother, “So no other school accepted you?” Ryeowook took a sharp intake of breath, the familiar rage bubbling up inside him in seconds as he tried to not to just punch him square on his face. “All right, all right, all right,” Kyuhyun rushed to say, hands up in the air, “Easy now, fire boy. I don't need you punching me to get me to stop.”

Ryeowook gave him a hard glare but relaxed his fisted hands. “So, why aren't you gone yet?”

“I saw no reason to leave as of yet.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Why, you want me to leave?”

“Frankly, yes.”

“Well, that's not nice.”

“When have you ever been nice to me?”

“Touché. Anyway,” Kyuhyun started as he cleared his throat. He lowered his gaze, a bit ashamed. “I.. I heard some of the comments today. I know it’s not a lot and you’re already sick of these words, but… I really meant it when I said it was an accident. I didn't mean to cause all this to you. And I'm… I'm…“

Ryeowook held his breath.

“I'm really upset that I have caused something like this. Honest.”

Ryeowook felt like someone knocked the air out of his lungs again. The anticipation had deflated faster than a popping balloon and now he just felt like worst on this planet. Really. Was Kyuhyun going to keep repeating those words instead of actually offering him what he wanted to hear? Was he broken or something?

“Yeah, yeah,” Ryeowook quickly dismissed with his hand, not happy with his ‘apology’.

“Seriously, Ryeowook. I mean it.”

Then say so. But Ryeowook just shook his head and clicked his tongue, “Then at least tell me, why did you reject me? Why did you have to ruin my life like that?”

Kyuhyun opened his mouth but closed it back up just a second later. Ryeowook opted just leaving. He didn’t know if he could take another dodged bullet on Kyuhyun’s end.

He wanted at least an explanation Kyuhyun had never willingly given him before, only telling him, ‘I already told you that back then’. But really, if he had a proper reason, why didn't he say it to him again? What was he so ashamed of? Ryeowook shook his head. He would get nothing from this boy. Nothing.

"I really did like someone," Kyuhyun suddenly admitted.

Ryeowook froze in place, his thoughts of leaving stilling immediately. He wanted it to be a lie so bad, that’s why he had denied it up until now despite having heard him say those words during the moment of his confession. Now he was really forced to deal with it.

"You... Did?"

Kyuhyun gave a weak, bitter smile, "Yeah... Remember that short Taekwondo club's leader that graduated last year?"

Ryeowook tilted his head as he thought about it. Taekwondo...?

"Sungmin?"

"Yeah, him. I had always had it big for him. We became good friends at one point but then he started to pull away for some reason, got busy with other stuff, and I just knew I had to fight for him to stay. But I also figured, if he was going to leave anyway, why not just risk it all and confess?”

Ryeowook lowered his gaze. Oh... So he confessed too. Yet Ryeowook was still there, his wounds and wrapping himself around Kyuhyun as if he couldn't breathe without him. Were they dating now? 

"I gotta go."

"Why? What's wrong?" 

"Nothing, I just-" 

"Does it bother you? That there's someone I like?" 

"I-" 

"That I rejected you for him?" 

Ryeowook stuttered but said nothing as he averted his eyes away. It wasn't often that Kyuhyun witnessed the shorter guy speechless, so for a second he got afraid he had gone too far with his questioning. 

"I told you I have to go already," Ryeowook muttered into his scarf, leaving a baffled Kyuhyun behind as he dashed past him. But Ryeowook didn't go to the bus stop. He didn't take the bus home. Nor did he really focus on getting home, heading to just any place his legs took him now. 

With snow up to his ankles and his feet feeling heavy, Ryeowook stopped. He had gone far enough to be sure he'd be at peace. That he'd have time to break down as many times he possibly needed.

He did... Kyuhyun did love someone... Ryeowook batted his eyes as tears started falling down his face. It was then that the exhaustion hit. All the effort he had put into his ventures, all the effort he had put into pining Kyuhyun. Wasted. Everything he had went through, every ounce of pain, frustration and self loathing that he had gathered along the way, wasted. Like it was all for nothing after all.

He had tried so hard to mask the hurt of his broken heart, but then Kyuhyun just goes and asks if he's upset that he was rejected for Sungmin? How does anyone expect him to be fine after that? 

He should've known... It was childish. He had acted like such a fool, but there had always been a glimmer of hope inside his heart. Hope, that maybe someday Kyuhyun would look at him even as a friend. Ryeowook shook his head. Where were his excuses now? 

There was no way out of it now. He really had to swallow down the pill of reality and finally understand that Kyuhyun would never want him by his side.