10 Years Later

Melody in The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~10 years later~

 

 

Hakyeon is back to his hometown, now 28 years old. He never thought of his hometown anymore. He got a life in Seoul, friends, a job, a family, but what does this town have for him?

 

Kim Wonshik.

 

Yes, this town has his beloved Kim Wonshik. When Hakyeon recalled the name, it sends his heart into berserk. How long was it since he last saw that shy boy? His best friend that was lost in time, he wondered if Wonshik still remembers him, because he sure does.

 

The lonely nights always made him dreamt of Wonshik. The thought of meeting Wonshik tweaked a spark of fear in his chest. What has become of Wonshik after all these years? Is he still his shy and cute best friend? He somehow would rather not know than be disappointed, but can he be disappointed at all?

 

That’s not important right now, the reason he’s back in town was his father.

 

He’s not dying, unfortunately, but he’s trying to make amends. His father has been pestering him about coming back for a month, saying that he’s sorry and ask him to come to see his new wife.

 

At this point Hakyeon didn’t care what his old man does, did, and done, he just wants out of it. He knew if he said that his father would argue like no tomorrow, knowing how hard headed he is. So, his job here is to pretend to be happy and pretend to forgive him, the more he went along, then the quicker he could get back to Seoul, out of his dad’s pestering.

 

That’s not entirely it though, he did hope, just a little, that he would meet his beloved best friend again… since it’s been too long. How did he let themselves grow apart like this?

 

 

 

“Hakyeon, I wanted you to meet Hyerim” Hakyeon stood up from his seat and bowed to the elegant woman that was way out of his father’s league. The woman looked like she’s the same age as his father, though she had that class and attitude of a classy and high maintenance woman.

 

His father looked like he cleaned up a bit. He’s rather tidy and missing the usual blood-shot eyes. Good, he doesn’t look like he wiped the floor with his face anymore. His father has his life together now, so what? It doesn’t undo the hell he put Hakyeon through in the past.

 

They share laughs, stories, until noon became evening, the woman said goodbye. Hakyeon thought he could take a break from fake smiling the entire day, but seems like his father is still not done with him.

 

“Hakyeon, please sit down, I made you tea” His father pleads. Hakyeon mentally rolled his eyes back to his skull, but he covers that with his signature sweet smile.

 

“What is it dad?” The word ‘dad’ made him wanted to puke. Hakyeon called his aunt’s husband dad too, which deserve the name better than the man in front of him.

 

His father cast his eyes down, filled with regret, Hakyeon already know what he’s about to say, “I’m so sorry, for what I have done to you, your childhood is only filled with me being a monster to you. You’re my son, of course you’re my son. Even after you’re away, you still give me a monthly allowance, will you forgive me? Will you give this old man peace?”

 

What? Is he dying or something? Did he want peace after not giving peace to Hakyeon’s entire childhood? Please. Hakyeon giving him monthly allowance is so that Hakyeon won’t owe him anymore.

 

“Yes dad, I’ve forgiven you for everything already.” Hakyeon’s mouth tastes bitter.

 

His dad lights up and smiled, “That’s good, thank you son”

 

Finally, it’s done, Hakyeon just wanted to go upstairs and sleep already and—

 

“Then what about staying here with me and Hyerim?”

 

You have got to be kidding me, Hakyeon mentally cursed, “Sorry dad, my work is in Seoul, I’m really busy, and right now I already used up all my paid leave” Hakyeon was lying, what paid leave? His job is performing on theater and compose songs for the theater.

 

“How about I move to Seoul?” Hakyeon mentally screamed, .

 

“Hyerim can get transferred to Seoul, and I could work on it too”

 

“Dad I’m 28, don’t you think living together is a bit… and you’re going to get married too…”

 

His dad blinked and chuckled lightly, “Ohoho I guess you’re right, well, I’m going to sleep, it’s a long day isn’t it?”

 

Thank that’s over, Hakyeon hurried up to his room, wondering how it is after all these years.

 

It’s still the same.

 

The locks were still intact on the doors, a little bit discolored. It’s as tidy as ever, just like how he left it years ago. There are a few books on his table, and he randomly took one that looked like his school notes.

 

A picture slipped away. A picture of him and Wonshik, at the fall festival with matching blue hanbok.

 

The picture made him remembered a thousand memories. The old church, his time together with Wonshik, the performance of the declaration that… nothing will separate Wonshik from him.

 

Look at him now, back in this town after years not hearing from him. He didn’t even know if he’s still in town.

 

A new fear sunk into him, that one day he would meet Wonshik, and it will be like meeting a stranger. He would rather not meet Wonshik at all, and let the beautiful memories stayed undisturbed by the present.

 

 

~~+++~~

 

 

Hakyeon is staying for another day in his hometown, since his father won’t bother him again, it relaxed him to walk in these nostalgic paths. He visits his old school, K high. The guard there still remembers him, and the old KyungOk is still alive and well too. Hakyeon talked with a few teachers until they need to return and teach.

 

Hakyeon went through the paths of his school to his home. A lot has changed. The roads are better, sturdier. The convenience store where Hakyeon and Wonshik used to buy ice cream at is now a restaurant. There are more people now, more cars and motorcycle.

 

He met some of his high school friends, and stayed to chat for a few minutes before continuing to his nostalgia journey. Hakyeon didn’t ask about Wonshik at all, afraid of what he might learn.

 

Hakyeon ponders over whether he should go to the old church. He still remembers the way, the roads, the trees, like an imprint on his brain. Without him knowing, his legs already bringing him there. The rocky path is the only thing that didn’t change. Every step Hakyeon takes it feels like a cut shorter to his breath.

 

The light at the end of the woody roads shines and it momentarily blinded him. Until he finally steps into the clearing, and the world focused, it’s the same old church, the same old concrete stairway.

 

He sat there, feeling like he’s about to cry, like he’s finally returning home. Yes, this is his true home. Hakyeon closed his eyes,

 

“I’ll miss you too Wonshik”

 

He did, he missed him so much. The time when the last time they contact each other has stretched too far to mend their longing. Hakyeon felt a piece of his heart tears away when he realized that.

 

Still closing his eyes, he hears the nostalgic sound of the branches clashing because of the wind. He concentrates, the wind still smelt the same, and then, along with this wind and sound, there is the sound of Hageum being played. Wonshik’s melody of Onara sounded as clear as day, almost like Hakyeon had traveled to the past.

 

The heat from Wonshik’s body, he’s sitting beside him, he imagined the low murmurs of him talking, he couldn’t make up what he said, it was such a long memory. He had Hageum on his lap, clutching it tightly as they smiled. That night at the festival where they hugged, Hakyeon could remember how he smelled, mixed with the wind of fall. All Hakyeon’s life, nothing beats the feelings he felt whenever he’s with Wonshik.

 

Those days were the best days, all he could do to that memories, is to let go.

 

Hakyeon sighed and opened his eyes slowly, letting his breath become one with the wind.

 

In front of him stood a ghost, “Hakyeon?”, no… not a ghost.

 

His eyes focused, “W-Wonshik?” Hakyeon’s fear becomes true.

 

He stood up, and see his best friend, Kim Wonshik, that he hadn’t see for years, now grown taller than him. Wearing a simple brown jacket that made his built even wider, and a 5 o’clock shadow that made him look mature. He could see Wonshik’s usual round face now changed with more defined jaws. His eyes stayed droopy but now only slightly and has a few charismatic wrinkles on it.

 

Hakyeon trembled in his stance, finally seeing the one he loved, for all these years.

 

Wonshik faced mellowed into a shy smile, and it strummed Hakyeon’s strings, it was that cute familiar smile, his Wonsh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter