High school pt.2

Melody in The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Wonshik didn’t have to use his idea, turns out that no one wanted to perform the traditional dance for this kpop cover. So, the only one that requested to perform a traditional dance was Hakyeon.year, because most of them wanted to do a

 

“So yeah, turns out things turns out as we wanted.” Hakyeon sips his banana milk while briefing what he just talked about with KyungOk-Nim.

 

They’re eating lunch on the class, and only a few their classmates were in their class while the rest is in the cafeteria. Hakyeon usually go there with a few of his friends, but today he needs to talk to Wonshik about the festival.

 

Wonshik felt relieved, he didn’t need to do his plan, it was going to be pretty embarrassing.

 

“What were you planning to do anyway?” Hakyeon asked.

 

Wonshik shook in his seat, should he tell him? It’s embarrassing… he raises his eyes to meet Hakyeon’s piercing demanding eyes. He knew he can’t hide anything from Hakyeon.

 

“I… was about to cancel my participation… if that didn’t work I will beg on my knees.” Wonshik opened up his lunch box, placing it there on his desk, along with Hakyeon’s.

 

Hakyeon paused a moment to process the words, Wonshik did say he won’t perform if Hakyeon didn’t but he thought he was only joking, “Cancel your participation? Were you serious about that? Why would you go that far? Thought you liked to perform.” Hakyeon raised his eyebrows.

 

Wonshik opened his mouth, but then he remembered why he didn’t want to tell, and closed them again. Hakyeon let it go the first time, but now it’s starting to bother him. What did Wonshik could possibly hide from him for this long? Hakyeon knew everything, he has to!

 

“Wonshik, I did let you go once, but now you’re telling me what you’re hiding!” Hakyeon pointed his banana milk at Wonshik.

 

“I-It’s not that I’m hiding something, I just don’t what to have that conversation ye-”

 

“What conversation? Why do you need to hide it from me??” Hakyeon put his hand down on the table, maybe a bit too hard, it creates a slight bang that made Wonshik tensed.

 

Wonshik sighed, trying to calm himself down, “It’s about University Hakyeon… I think I’m going here, to R University”

 

Hakyeon blinked, now feeling guilty about getting too worked up, “Oh, I know about that Wonshikkie~” and he giggled stiffly.

 

“So, you’re okay with going to different university?”

 

“It’s not that… it’s because I haven’t decided yet” Hakyeon cower in his seat, Wonshik is right, he didn’t know if he’s ready to talk about this.

 

Hakyeon already knew that Wonshik’s love for traditional music and his pride to take the path of his parents will be number one to him, not Hakyeon. They’re only best friends, not lovers, no matter how far they go back, in pursuing dreams, separation is inevitable sometimes.

 

“I know you won’t stay in this city Hakyeon, from your eyebags I can tell your dad is getting to you again”

 

Hakyeon instinctively held onto his eye bags, damn, he needs to buy a better concealer. Wonshik knew about his family, it’s only right for them to know everything about each other.

 

“That means you’re not going out of this town with me, are you?” Hakyeon cross-checked, and Wonshik nods.

 

One day, a couple of weeks ago, Hakyeon did mention leaving this small city and go to the city where there are more opportunities open for him, and to get away from his father. Even back then, from seeing Wonshik’s face when he said it, Hakyeon already knew that Wonshik won't go after him.

 

If it’s traditional music, this town has the best university for it. Hakyeon would love to stay with Wonshik, but the thought of staying with his father any longer is making him crazy. Wonshik loves Hakyeon, but he loves his music too, it’s his dream, and he has no chance whatsoever with Hakyeon anyway.

 

“But let’s not get gloomy now! We still have time until graduation, and we’ll stay in contact together won't we?” Hakyeon tried to lighten up the mood and slap Wonshik by the shoulder.

 

The smile on Hakyeon’s pretty face is able to lift Wonshik from any deep and dark hole corners of his thought. Suddenly, things feel a bit more possible for the two.

 

Yeah… separating is not the end of the world. They are best friends for their entire life, a little distance won’t hurt, they’ll surely miss each other, so they’ll continue to keep contact.

 

It’ll be fine, nothing can break their strong bond.

 

 

+++++++

 

 

The fall festival of K High is always the talk of the town. K high is the only one of the 5 high school in town that have such festival, and it’s open for public. Wonshik played his favorite instruments today, Gayageum, a 12 strings musical instrument where you pluck and flick them to make a melody.

 

At first, Wonshik and Hakyeon didn’t know what to perform, what song? what dance? They are free to choose for this festival, but they still need to be a traditional representation, that’s what they sign up for.

 

Now, they are backstage waiting for their turn, right behind a dark sheet that separates them from the crowd. They have practiced for months, and almost every single day, yet they’re still nervous, more like Wonshik is. Hakyeon only takes a little more air into his lungs, and sigh out the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter