All These Years (WenRene/JenRene)

ReVel Minibook
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finished: 28th January 2019

Based on tinytushy's prompt. Kinda feel bad because I think I keep ruining her wonderful prompts with my subpar stories. Also inspired by Camila Cabello's All These Years. Heard the song by accident a day before I started the story and it got stuck in my mind.

 

'Cause after all these years

I still feel everything when you are near

And it was just a quick hello

And you had to go

 

Wendy hummed underneath her breath, casually observing the guests that were starting to fill the empty seats inside the cathedral. The place was not decorated grandiosely, but Wendy knew that one of the brides had always preferred classic, timeless look over fancy or luxurious decoration. The chosen hundred-year-old cathedral with a well-tended garden overlooking the front seemed to reflect the bride’s preference perfectly. Once, Wendy probably would have considered the place as one of her wedding venues but now it seemed like it was just another one of her childish dreams.

 

Someone called her name and she saw one of her ex-members motioned for her; one of the brides wanted to meet her. She wondered which, since she was friend with both.

 

She walked away from the streaming guests and Yeri quickly tangled their arms together once she got close enough, which gave Wendy a clue on the person she was going to meet. The younger girl’s hold was firm yet reassuring all the same. Wendy had told everyone repeatedly that she would be fine, nonetheless they were still worried about her. Not that she could blame them, she probably would have done the same if they were in her position.

 

As expected, Yeri dragged her to her old leader’s prep room and she was instantly greeted by Joy’s half screech and random sputtering, trying to stop her from coming in before she abruptly stopped.

 

“Oh, it’s you, Seungwan unnie. I thought it’s Jennie trying to sneak in again.”

 

“And you stopped her? I never would have thought that modern woman Joy Park still believes in superstitions.”

 

Wendy chuckled and stepped in. She realized that many cautious eyes were on her and she wished that Seulgi was there to distract everyone. Unfortunately, they decided to dispatch her to the other side to even out the number, as a very pregnant Rose bawled her eyes out a week ago, refusing to be photographed when she felt so bloated all over.

 

“I’d rather not take any chances.” Joy replied and Wendy nodded, not really listening when her eyes fell upon the figure seated in front of the vanity table.

 

She was beautiful as always but today was her special day and Wendy knew that no other woman could outshine the beauty and happiness she radiated. It had been a while since Wendy had seen her - months had passed since Irene personally crashed in her studio, requesting Wendy to be her bridesmaid and she marvelled at how much longer Irene’s hair had gotten and how relaxed her expression was compared to back then.

 

Irene smiled at her from the mirror and Wendy’s breath hitched. She covered it with a small cough and brightly strode to the bride.

 

“Hey, Joohyun unnie, are you looking for me?”

 

“Yes, Wan ah. I heard that you were already here but I didn’t get to see you at all, so I asked Yeri to fetch you. Thank you for coming, it means a lot to me.”

 

Irene sounded too formal and Wendy bit her inner lip to not drop the smile she was feigning, almost drawing blood in the process. It was a second nature to her by now, considering she had had years of practice during her idol years.

 

“Of course, it’s my leader’s wedding, how can I miss it? Sorry I could not be around much; the company is planning to release my new album next month so I’ve been holed in the studio.”

 

Irene frowned. “SM is working you too hard.”

 

‘It’s okay, it gets my mind off your wedding’ might not be the best response so Wendy just shrugged and opted for a different answer. “I like what I do, so I don’t really feel burdened. Besides, Taeyeon unnie drops by and helps me a lot with this album so I have a lot of fun preparing for this comeback.”

 

Something flashed in Irene’s eyes and Wendy told herself that it was just a trick of light, just like she had told herself for years before this moment.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter