Handong/Gahyeon - The Howling

Treasure of Life [Drabble dump]

The Howling – Within Temptation
It was the first time in her entire life Handong had ever ran into a ghost like this. As a woman with the ability to see and speak to ghosts, she had experienced a lot of different situations and ghosts. Especially after she got a job within the trade, helping ghosts crossing over. 

But a young looking woman, definitely not older than twenty years old and donned in a hanbok, screaming her lungs out so loud the whole house was shaking? It was something entirely new. 

Luckily Handong had been prepared, having stuffed her ears with protection so the literally glass shattering wails would not destroy her eardrums. Having read the file on the young ghost, it was apparent this was a girl from the Joseon dynasty, and this rundown house in the middle of nowhere had stood empty for a long time. Even after ghosts existing became common knowledge and new work positions popping up as a result, no one had succeeded with this ghost. 

Handong did not expect to succeed either, but she had decided it didn't hurt to try. 

The woman, or girl, had noticed her, her wails dying down. “Who threads there?” She spoke, her voice harsh. 

“Someone who wants to listen,” Handong answered softly. “If you wish to speak, that is.” It was apparent this young ghost had a lot of pain and anger, if her anguished wails were anything to go by, and Handong had to be as careful and forthcoming as she could.

The ghost did not answer, she just stared. A youthful face, pretty too, Handong noted. Had it not been for the matted blood on her stomach area, she would look like the picture perfect woman from Joseon Dynasty. 

“What do you wish to hear?” The ghost spoke.

“Anything. I'm simply here to listen, if you want to talk.”

The young ghost seemed a little taken a back. “You seem different from the others. You do not make demands.”

Too many of the people in her trade jumped into the issues too quickly, not letting the ghosts speak of matters in their own pace. Handong had learnt she didn't need to know everything as quick as possible. It made her a slow worker, but she was deemed one of the best in her field for a reason. 

“Because I'm here for you.” Handong smiled softly. “I will listen. If not today, then maybe tomorrow or the day after. You're in control.”

The ghost visibly grew more relaxed.

“Not today,” she spoke. “But maybe tomorrow, yes.”

Handong nodded. “I will respect your wishes. I will see you tomorrow.” She smiled again before turning around and leaving.

As she exited, the anguished wailing began again, yet Handong felt positive. 

Maybe tomorrow. Or the day after.

She had the patience and the time needed.