There Are Plenty of Fish in the Sea

The House Play
XSYKOTICA


 


Episode 6: There Are Plenty of Fish in the Sea
"Baby love me right. Come to me, don't hesistate. You're my alluring universe." - Love Me Right

The next morning, you were up earlier than you assumed you would be the night before. And before you could even question your motives as to why, a smile formed on your face as you reached for your phone beside you.

Jung Taekwoon (7:15am): Good morning. Hope you slept well. I’ll be there at 8:30 if that’s alright with you?

Jung Taekwoon (7:16am): Don’t worry about breakfast. I’ve got it covered.

What a way to wake up! Your heart raced at his thoughtfulness; his messages instantly putting you in a good mood.

To: Jung Taekwoon (8:00am): I slept well! Thank you for asking. I’m sure the boys will appreciate the treat!

Having replied and noting the time and the fact that your companion was a punctual man, you hopped off to the shower and picked a stylish yet casual outfit for the day.

By the time you were done and off to Hongbin’s room to dress the boys for the day, you were met with laughter and wild playing. As a parent, you do not think there was a better way to see your child in the morning. Dealing with hyperactive and hungry children seemed less daunting considering they seemed to have each other to complain to.

At promptly half past eight that morning, your doorbell rang.

“Coming!” you yelled a little too eagerly for your liking but you could not deny your excitement.

“Good morn- what?” your cheerful greeting was cut short when you found yourself face-to-face with flowers. Just flowers of all sorts of species and colours.

When your eyes adjusted, you laughed heartily to discover Taekwoon hidden behind the huge bunch of flowers that spanned his entire face, while his other hand was occupied by a large paper bag.

“Morning.” he deadpanned and you divined from the tone of his voice that he was slightly embarrassed.

“Dad!” “Sanghyuk’s dad!” Sanghyuk and Hongbin ran to the doorway, happily chirping up at the older man and laughing at his predicament.

“I think you could use some help.” You commented once you got over your laughing fit. “I’ll take the flowers and Hongbinnie and Sanghyuk can you two big boys take each side of that paper bag please?” you asked the boys who already hopped into action.

The big brown paper bag was taken to the table while Taekwoon followed you to the kitchen, where you looked for an appropriate place for the beautiful flowers.

“Is there a reason you got me these beauties?” you asked cheekily, offering him a place at the counter, now preparing coffee.

“It’s a thank you.” Taekwoon answered, enamoured by your pleased smile. He was far too impressed with himself for thinking of the gift the night before. “Actually,” he began again and he waited for you to look at him, “you sounded a bit down last night. I thought they’d cheer you up.” He grinned.

All you could do was place a hand over your racing heart, taken aback at how sweet he was. When last have you felt this way? You firmly bit your lip to prevent you from saying the things that were making your heart swell.

“Jung Taekwoon, just what am I going to do with you?” you replied with a watery smile and he liked how you made him feel as though he were the only person in the world.


You stretched in your office chair a week later, while muffling a yawn. It was one of those days again. The one where it seemed never ending and the only thing that seemed to change was the work stacking up on your desk. You sighed and vowed to take a five minute break or you were certain you were going to quit by the end of the day. Not that it was a bad thing considering it was three in the afternoon. An idea struck you and you reached for your phone.

To: Jung Taekwoon (15:04 pm): Tell me I’m not the only one stuck with work that never seems to get done? T_T

Instantly, your smile returned. When you were both first getting to know each other, you were both apprehensive to text about anything else other than your children. Your first text messages revolved around pick up times, whether one of your sons left something at the other’s place and some parenting advice. Lately, you were starting to just talk to each other as adults rather than as ‘Hongbin’s Mom’ or ‘Sanghyuk’s Dad’ and you liked where it was going.


Jung Taekwoon sat in his office, taking off his glasses to rub his tired eyes that stared at the computer screen for far too long. Two unfinished cups of coffee stood on his desk where at least three quarters of it was littered with documents all needing his attention.

His phone vibrated and when he saw your message he laughed; the mounting stress from work all but forgotten. You were like a witch casting a spell on him.

To: Kim (F/n) (15:05pm): I wish I couldn’t relate but I know that feeling all too well.

He attached a quick photo of his desk, covered in paper as he thought of something else.

To: Kim (F/n) (15:07pm): Let me know if you need to be saved.


You laughed at the cheeky message, feeling tons better knowing you were not alone in your dilemma. You quickly muffled the sound when Hinata sent you a look your way; her eyebrow cocked in curiosity and you knew exactly what was on your friend’s mind. She and Yujin would jump to conclusions so for now, your friend would be kept secret from their prying eyes and ears.

To: Jung Taekwoon (15:09pm): And what do you suppose I do after that?

You texted and added a thinking emoticon for emphasis. You do not wait long for his reply that made you cackle loudly.

Jung Taekwoon (15:10pm): You could help me with my workload.

Your amusement was short lived when your phone rang, displaying the name of Hongbin’s pre-school.

“Good afternoon?” you worriedly answered, all thoughts of laughter vanished.

“Yes Mrs Kim.” The headmaster answered and you cringed at the fact that he had not used your correct title. “I understand you must be busy but I’d like to see you concerning your son, Hongbin.” he added, he was strict but not unkind yet you still felt dread.

You noted the time, school was just about dismissed.

“I’ll be there in twenty minutes.” You answered with the utmost seriousness, already gathering your things to leave.


When your car was parked, you got out of it as fast as you could and brusquely walked to the headmaster’s office, your heels click clacking all the while.

Outside his office, you were confronted by Taekwoon hugging both Hongbin and Sanghyuk, fatherly concern alight on his usually expressionless features.

“What happened?” you panted as you got onto your haunches next to Taekwoon, your eyebrows furrowing in worry at seeing their red rimmed eyes.

“Apparently Hongbin punched one of the boys in his class for making fun of him and Hyuk.” Taekwoon lowly replied in your ear and you picked up on the anger woven into his words.

Your maternal concern morphed into severe irritation. No-one knew your son better than yourself and Hongbin was not violent, especially without reason.

“Why?” you immediately asked, wanting to confirm your suspicions.

Taekwoon sighed and you saw his jaw tense. “They made of them because of their…home situations.” he stated with delicacy and by now your eyes flamed.

You looked to your son and Sanghyuk, who were both unnaturally quiet.

“Mama and Sanghyuk’s Dad are going to speak with Headmaster quickly. Keep Sanghyuk company on the bench over there okay?” you told the boy who looked to you with large chocolate brown eyes.

He nodded and took Sanghyuk over to the aforementioned bench.

“Let’s go.” Taekwoon tapped you on the shoulder and indicated toward the Headmaster’s door.

“Good afternoon Ms Kim. Mr Jung.” he greeted and you sighed in relief to see he had corrected his earlier mistake.

You both acknowledged his greeting and sat down in front of his desk; anger and irritation the most prevalent emotions radiating off of you.

“I’m sure by now you know why I’ve called you here today.” the elderly man began. “Ms Kim, Hongbin threw a punch at Sangpil while Mr Jung, your son was noted as hurling loud insults at the group. Behaviour such as that is detrimental to a conducive classroom.” he detailed, his fingers steepled together.

You scoffed. You should have known that Sangpil kid was involved. From what you saw, that boy had no manners whatsoever and it did not surprise you that he seemed to be a bully.

Sensing your anger, Taekwoon took the lead by being the first to reply.

“I would like to remind you Headmaster, that both of our children are not known to be violet or disruptive.” Taekwoon shot back and you were taken aback at his demeanour. It was difficult to miss his authoritative manner and speech. In a word, it was amazing to witness. “The situation leading up to the incident is the problem. I’m sure we’re both aware,” he sarcastically carried on, “that parents at the school are wont to talk about things that they are unqualified to comment on and unfortunately, their unruly children bring this to the classroom. If at anything, their parents should be in here not us.”

By the way he spoke, you were almost surprised when he did not remove a motion to sue from his briefcase or something equally dramatic.

“Yes, that may be so but…” the headmaster coughed and adjusted his glasses, clearly uncomfortable.

“I will agree that physical violence is unacceptable as is insults.” you replied, fighting to keep your temper in check. “But as Mr Jung pointed out, their parents should be here not us. For children as young as ours to face bullying because of circumstances that are out of their control and meddling parents that can’t keep their noses out of other people’s business is not only insupportable but downright disgusting.” you sneered.

Now obviously outnumbered and unable to give a reasonable comeback, the headmaster nodded.

“I will call their parents in tomorrow and request for a formal apology.” He responded, making a note in his diary.

You and Taekwoon turned to each other with mirrored smirks before nodding toward the older man with a thank you before promptly leaving.

As soon as Hongbin and Sanghyuk caught sight of you, they ran to each of you, their arms wound around your legs.

“Are you mad at me Mama?” Hongbin asked softly, sounding as if he were about to cry all over again.

You quickly picked him up and placed a kiss on his forehead. “Of course not. You stood up for yourself and your friend. I’m proud of you.” you smiled at him.

Beside you, the father and son pair were having a similar discussion.

“Because you did so well, how would you boys like to go to Sea World?” Taekwoon asked with a peaceable smile on his face.

Hongbin and Sanghyuk stared at each other before nodding enthusiastically. You could only smile with amusement. He honestly thought of everything.

With everyone in agreement, you began walking with Hongbin to your car but heard your name being called.

“It’s be faster if we took my car. Traffic’s a nightmare, I don’t us to waste more time than we have to. And I could use the company.” Taekwoon added with a lopsided smile that made you see check marks appear above his head.

“Sure.” you agreed, not that it would take much to convince you.


The drive itself was a feat. Sanghyuk and Hongbin filled the car with their boisterous personalities; laughing and talking following them while you and Taekwoon chatted quietly in the front. Neither of you said it but you were both overwhelmed at the feeling. If you discarded the circumstances of the drive, it was indistinguishable from any other family trip with Mom, Dad and kids. It was a thought that made your eyes sting.


At Sea World, it was pleasantly full without feeling claustrophobic. You supposed coming on a weekday was a good idea. The children, needless to say, were filled with wonder and kept pointing to the various sea life they found scary, cute, or “yucky”.

As you explored the large aquarium, your phone rang.

Kim Wonshik calling

“Wonshik?” you answered and you had a feeling you knew what this particular phone call was about.

“Is Hongbin okay? The school gave me a missed call. I was in a meeting.” The last sentence would have made you scoff but you knew he was sincere. He would never ignore his son for anything, or rather, anyone.

You noted Taekwoon give you a side glance at the name, his expression unreadable.

“He is. He got into a scuffle at school. That bully, Sangpil, you know that unruly little boy in Hongbinnie’s class made some comments that had to do with us and he punched him.” you explained briefly, ensuring Hongbin was out of earshot. He did not need to relive the day.

“That’s my boy!” Wonshik cheered and strained as your relationship was, even you could not avoid the vague smile tugging at your lips. “Don’t tell me they called you in to talk about that?” he asked in disbelief.

“They did.” you answered with an eye roll. “But when I was done with the Headmaster, he promised to call their parents tomorrow.” you reported.

“I’m glad. How is he?” Wonshik asked and you could hear how worried he was.

“He’s fine now that he knows he did nothing wrong. If you want to see him, you can visit tonight if you’re not busy.” you offered and for once, you felt at ease knowing that he would not take advantage of the situation.

“I’d love that. I’ll call you when I’m on my way.” he thanked before you heard Jaehwan calling for him in the background and you both said your goodbyes.

You turned around to find Hongbin sitting atop Taekwoon’s suited shoulders while Sanghyuk was carried in his arms.

“Oh!” you exclaimed in surprise. You had no idea he was so strong. “Are you alright like that?” you asked with a laugh.

“They couldn’t see some of the larger fish.” he explained sheepishly and if it were anyone else you would have just assumed they were doing it because they had to, but after spending much time with the lawyer, the way his eyes sparkled when he played with the children told you differently.

“Well, shout if you need help.” you teased, feeling as light as air.


Taking a break from your adventures, you all visited a food cart just outside of the aquarium and refuelled with snacks and for the adults, cups of coffee. Back inside, you and Taekwoon took a seat on a bench nearby the two boys excitedly chatting to each other among the blue waters of the ocean.

Though both of you were silent, you felt no need to fill it with conversation. On the contrary, simply sitting in his presence was enough.

“It’s okay to miss him.” Taekwoon commented a while later.

You looked up at him, confused as to how he could know what was on your mind.

“We used to do this all the time.” you recalled and the sight of Wonshik and Hongbin chasing each other around the zoo that one time came to mind. “I haven’t seen Hongbin so happy in a while.”

“I’ve never seen Sanghyuk this happy.” The lawyer replied and it saddened you to see him so thoughtful. "Since his mother died when he was so young, he never had the chance to have a family outing like this.” He stared at the gold wedding band on his finger and his unknowing comment caused your heart rate to speed up.

You could only silently agree. For a few hours that afternoon, there was no such thing as a widowed man or a divorced woman, to those around you and even yourselves, you were no different than any other family there.

“I’m glad Hongbin has such a good friend.” you said instead, cradling your warm coffee between your hands.

“I should be thanking you.” Taekwoon answered, turning a soft smile your way. “Not everyone would get into trouble for their friends. Then again, it’s a testament to your excellent parenting.” He praised earnestly.

“You flatter me.” you giggled and playfully hit his shoulder; a blush heating your cheeks.

“It’s only the truth.” he insisted and when his eyes found yours, the world around you disappeared; the deep brown eyes staring back at you were the only thing that mattered.

“Mama!” “Dad!” two excited shouts brought you both out of your trance with matching guilty smiles.


The four of you stayed until Sea World closed; the stars already glittering in the night sky. Considering the late hour, you decide to stop over at a nearby restaurant for dinner and watched in amusement as Hongbin and Sanghyuk ate their meal lethargically; their eyelids drooping with sleep.

“What a lovely family!” the old woman who ran the establishment commented as she proceeded to give you extra servings of food on the house – even as you both tried to correct her. It suddenly reminded you of Wonshik’s visit.

To: Kim Wonshik (7:10 pm): I know you wanted to see Hongbin but he’s so exhausted from today. Could you come around tomorrow? I’m sorry for the short notice.

The reply you received was instantaneous.

Kim Wonshik (7:11 pm): I thought as much. No problem at all – I’m still stuck at the office. Give him a kiss from me.

You were glad that Taekwoon was too absorbed in his delicious dinner to observe you. You sat there with his earlier words running around in your mind telling you that it was okay to miss him.


The drive home was pleasant amidst the background of the hyper illuminated buildings of Seoul and the quiet music playing on the radio.

Insisting on walking you to your apartment, both of you carried your now sleeping sons in camaraderie. You paused at your door, turning to look at Taekwoon.

“I wouldn’t mind if you left Sanghyuk to sleep here tonight. It makes sense since I’ll be seeing you tomorrow anyway.” You offered, remembering your car still parked in the pre-school parking lot.

Unable to find the words to deny your proposition especially when you looked up at him with those eyes, the lawyer simply nodded and followed you inside to tuck in Hongbin and Sanghyuk.

Coming out of the boy’s room, he took note of the well looked after bunch of flowers he bought you a week earlier and it made him smirk.

“If you become any kinder, your home will be overrun by flowers.” Taekwoon quipped teasingly.

You followed his gaze and laughed. “You’re not exactly making me want to stop.” You replied as you walked him to the door.

Standing across from you, that same strange expression you saw earlier crossed his features.

“Thank you for today.” he expressed, reaching to place a stray lock of hair behind your ear before stopping to gently cradle your face.

Robbed of a reply, you could only stare into his eyes as you inched closer and closer to each other; your noses now almost touching.

Your eye lids fluttered closed when-

Ring! Ring!

Getting a fright, you jumped out of Taekwoon’s fragile hold to reach for your cell phone displaying Yujin’s name.

“Good night.” Taekwoon greeted abruptly, hardly waiting for a reply before leaving, and when he got to his car he leaned against it, his thumb and forefinger holding his nose bridge.

When last had he-? He knew he was fond of you, how could anyone not be and Hakyeon had reminded him more than once that he was playing with fire, but all of that merely seemed inconsequential to the time he spent with you, until tonight. He attempted to imagine his late wife’s smile, her laugh, any significant feature of hers that he loved but all that his mind could conjure up was the colour of your hair, the warmth of your cheek and your bright and enticing (e/c) eyes. 

█ ▌ How's that for an update? This is basically just a feels/filler chapter for what's to come! Please do vote in the poll below for who want Reader to end up with and enjoy!