9.5 Gravitated to Her

Hands of Fate
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Soul mate? You found your soul mate? Wow. That’s cool,” Jongin was clearly amused by the situation. He knew too much for his own good.

But it wasn’t the same case for me. In fact, I was rather surprised. Because it was the first time in months that I’d been following Lee Yoon that she ever talked about her soul mate. Me. I knew I should feel annoyed that she only talked about it with Jongin, but why did it melt my heart somehow?

Cringe-y.

She blinked back at him shyly, adorably. “Y-yes,” she said, nodding slightly, playing with her fingers every time she was nervous.

“How did you meet him?” Shut up Kim Jongin. Why were you even asking her that? She looked quite uncomfortable I wanted to slap the back of Jongin’s head.

She sighed. I knew it. She hated talking about me.

I didn’t know I was holding my own breath until she spoke again. “Unexpectedly.”

Jongin raised a brow at her, expecting her to explain further, but she shook her head at him, saying, “it’s quite a long story. Plus, it’s not that interesting.”

“Why? Now I am even more curious.” Jongin was intent on fishing out more information. He sat crossing his legs, angling himself towards her in interest, the side of his face on his palm, elbow on his knee.

Lee Yoon furrowed his eyebrows at him. I could tell she was being cautious of him, wondering why he was acting like an idiot. Yeah, just don’t mind him.

But when I thought she was going to just ignore Jongin’s playful expression as he wiggled his eyebrows at her teasingly, she momentarily forgot what he was asking and snorted, a grin slowly spreading on her face.

What?

“Nevermind. Don’t tell me if you don’t want to. It’s probably a boring story as you said anyway.” He waived his hand in the air dismissively, feigning his disinterest.

That made my soul mate cackle, her laughter like tinkering bells floating in the air. I won’t mind hearing her create that sound a lot more, but not with another guy. She should only be laughing in front of me. She was only allowed to smile in front of me!

I glared at Jongin’s direction for the longest time, willing for his to burn all of a sudden. As if sensing the intensity of my stare, he momentarily gazed at my hiding place and turned back to my soul mate when she said something. Jongin smiled sweetly at her and she returned it.

Goddammit. What was Jongin doing? Was he really smiling at my soul mate? And was she really smiling back at him? I groaned, unable to stop the green monster taking over my emotions. I would have stomped my way towards them, grabbed her arm and pulled her out of there with me somewhere it could only be her and I, alone. I didn’t want her to talk to anyone I disapproved of.

That’s your freaking best friend though.

And I didn’t want to look pathetic. This wasn’t something the typical me would do. I was the first to abandon a girl before. The first to call it quits. The first to walk away. So, why could Lee Yoon always make me do things that were so not me? I am a really cool guy. Cool guys didn’t let girls control them like this.

It was girls who chased after me.

Dammit.

She would probably kick me upside down if she heard my thoughts too. I’m such a jerk.

I looked back at the two of them and anger boiled at the sight of Jongin holding her arm. What was he doing? Why was he holding her arm and why isn’t she protesting? No one should touch her like that. I balled my fists on my sides, stopping myself and this weird, stalker-ish obsession I started having because of her.

“Get a grip, you idiot. Jongin’s you’re best friend,” I muttered to myself in frustration, still doing my best to stop the urge to get out of my hiding place just at the side of the little greenhouse at the rooftop. Christ. Why was I getting so riled up because of Jongin today?

“Well, I have things to do before going home, so…” Her voice was like music to my ears. I didn’t know when I started obsessing about it, but I knew I would recognize that voice anywhere. The thought made me snort to myself.

Jongin stood up the same time she did. “Is that so?” he asked, smiling at her charmingly on purpose. I took in a sharp intake of breath and exhaled loudly to calm myself. I didn’t care if she’d hear me. It would be great to see her reaction if she found out I was here.

“Yes,” she answered timidly, turning her head around, as if looking for something.

Jongin cleared his throat, grabbing back her attention. “Well, get going then.”

She nodded, bowing at him before she eagerly turned around, taking two steps at a time. She cautiously looked around once more as she held the door handle before disappearing behind it.

Jongin’s laughter boomed as he was bent, hugging his shaking form. I groaned, coming out from my hiding place and glaring at him. “I’m really going to kill you if you don’t stop laughing, idiot.”

“Well, what can I say?” he mused in between laughter. “I can’t believe I can sense your jealously even from a few meters away.” He laughed again, wagging a finger at me. He was so annoying. “You were practically drilling holes at the back of my skull, right?”

“Shut up.” I slumped on the spot my soul mate previously occupied. “I don’t have a reason to be jealous. She dumped me anyway.” I shrugged, feigning nonchalance.

Jongin sat closer to me, slapping my chest. “Stop lying to yourself. You know you want her.”

“I don’t.” I wanted to bite my tongue.

“You know you care for her,” he added, ignoring what I said, and grinned at me as if there was no tomorrow.

I grumbled, pushing at his chest. “Get away from my face. You’re so annoying.” I turned my back from him and lazily rested my chin on my palm.

But he slung his arm around me from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder. “You even bought 70% of the stocks of my father’s company just to be close to her. Does that still say nothing?” he cooed, touching my face. I swatted his fingers away. “Com’on. Just admit it. You don’t buy stocks on a regular basis for just a girl and you know that,” he smirked at me when he saw me shoot laser beams at him.

“I just did you a really good favour, you know,” I boasted a little, knowing I had a point. “One of these days, people who hate your father would do what I did to overthrow him and remove you from inheriting this company.” I shrugged, knowing I was getting to him. His father was clearly his weakness. They didn’t get along that well and Mr. Kim wasn’t an entirely likable man either.

He grew silent one moment, but my victory didn’t last for long as he smiled at me. “Well, what can I say? All thanks to you, I don’t need to get worried

Please log in to read the full chapter