Goodbyes

Miracles Come True

Ryeowook didn’t call. Instead, he banned all thoughts of leaving from his mind as good as he could. Throughout the day, that usually worked fine since he could always find something to distract himself with, but at night when he tried to sleep, the doubts and fears came back. Why him? Would Kyuhyun stay? No, he certainly wouldn’t. He’d get tired of him, just like everyone did. Or he would simply find something new, something more exciting. No one had ever stayed beside him except for Heechul. Everyone else had given up on him, the shelter had been closed, or the other hybrids had been adopted. No one had ever stayed in contact with him.

Ryeowook knew Hangeng and Heechul were aware of how he felt. He could hear it in the evenings when they talked quietly, too low for him to understand anything, but he knew Heechul well enough to see the worry in his eyes. He knew it by the way Heechul didn’t accompany Hangeng that following week but stayed home and was a lot more affectionate than usually—something Ryeowook hadn’t even thought was possible until then. He could see it in Hangeng’s grateful smiles when he returned to the shelter and found a meal prepared, the house clean, and everyone in a good mood.

The one thing he really wished he could change was how the other three thought about it. While Sungmin was genuinely happy about the news and supported him as good as he could, it was obvious that the girls weren’t quite as happy, even though they adapted to the new situation rather quickly. They told Ryeowook about the places they imagined Kyuhyun to live in and about all of the nice things he might be able to do. The young man decided to keep quiet even when Hyuna and Sohyun told him about going out on the weekends to ride horses and how Ryeowook would probably get lost over and over in the castle he was about to go to. He knew himself that many young hybrids had those kinds of thoughts about their future owners. Like a prince on a white horse, he would come. Or would it be the princess who could turn out to be their best friend?

Taemin was the only one who distanced himself after that evening. Ryeowook felt like he had let the younger down. He should have tried more to convince Kyuhyun that one of the others was the better choice, that he was happy the way things were, that there was no need to take him. To try and make things up for Taemin, he only made dishes the younger liked during that week, hoping his message of a silent apology made it through. He shouldn’t have told Heechul he would accept all of this. He should have stayed strong and fought for Taemin, Hyuna, and Sohyun!

The day before he had to leave, Hangeng helped him pack everything.

Wookie?”

Hm?”

You’ll do fine.”

Ryeowook looked up from where he was re-folding his clothes so they would fit into his suitcase while Hangeng got the remaining clothes from the closet. “How would you know?”

I know you.”

But you don’t know him.”

Hangeng shrugged and got the last small stack of clothes. He walked over to where Ryeowook was sitting on the ground and sat down with him. “I don’t need to know him to know you will do fine. “

But what if things don’t work out?”

Then you can always call. Remember that, okay? Call us if you feel sad or lonely or even afraid. And call us if something good happened that you’d like to talk about. We will never be bothered by your calls.”

Ryeowook looked down at the shirt lying on his lap, neatly folded, just waiting to be put into the suitcase. “But shouldn’t you want me to get used to… my new home? Shouldn’t you want me to rely on Kyuhyun instead?”

I do want that. I do want you to become happy with Kyuhyun and I do hope he can provide everything you’ll need to be happy.”

But he’s not you.”

Hangeng laughed softly. “Look at me, Wookie.” The younger one did as he was told, but unlike Hangeng’s warm eyes, his own were full of fear and questions. “Trust me, okay? Remember when I adopted Heechul and you two were separated for a while? You were heartbroken when I came to pick him up. But Heechul called you at least once a day, I think. And when I took a look at my bills, those calls usually weren’t exactly short. So do you think Heechul never got over having left?”

He did. He’s happy now.”

That’s my point. We had a rough start, Ryeowook. You know how he is, he doesn’t like taking commands, but since he’s been testing the limits a lot especially in the beginning, I had to give him strict rules at first, I had to give him boundaries he wasn’t allowed to cross anymore and then we negotiated. When could he feel comfortable and when was I still fine with it? How could we live together comfortably? Knowing he hated leaving you behind, I told him at some point that I was thinking about opening a shelter as well and that I would like him to help me manage it. Through that project, we began to work together more and more and we both learned to rely on each other. I think almost half a year passed until he truly started to smile around me.”

He wasn’t happy at first… but it didn’t take him all that long until he realized there were good sides about living with you, too.”

See? We took our time to get to know each other, test each other’s boundaries, find out what the other does and doesn’t like. But he always stayed in contact with you until the day when I was allowed to open this place and we had the chance to take you here. All of that happened, because we gave each other a chance. We were curious about each other and we were willing to find out how living together would be possible in a way that both of us would profit. We found a solution and so will you and Kyuhyun. I’m positive you will.”

Ryeowook had looked at his friend, but when the older finished, he looked down again. He remembered how torn he had felt when he first moved into this shelter—happy because he could stay with his best friend, but also afraid because he hadn’t known Hangeng and had always thought the two might not want him to be around any longer anymore at some point.

Wookie?”

Yes?”

Make sure to always remember our phone numbers and the one of the house you’ll move to. You may get a cell phone at some point, but knowing how things usually go, it will probably not be charged or in reach when you most need it,” Hangeng added softly and smiled warmly at the younger.

Ryeowook looked down at the gentle criticism. “Okay. I will always remember them.”

Good. And call us a lot. We’re curious about what will happen to you.”

The younger nodded and suddenly the realization that he was about to leave his home hit him again with full force. No matter how often he called, it would never make up for even a single one of Heechul’s tight hugs or Hangeng’s warm smiles or the simple knowledge that his friends were right there by his side.

Wookie, are you crying? Hey, don’t cry.” Strong arms were wrapped around him and he was pulled into a tight hug. The first sob shook Ryeowook’s body, followed by another until he was clinging to his friend in a desperate search for consolation. It seemed so unfair to him that he had to leave when really he was the one who wanted to stay the most! Why did he have to leave? Why couldn’t Kyuhyun have chosen one of the younger three hybrids?

At some point, Ryeowook calmed down again, but neither he nor Hangeng moved and Ryeowook got the feeling that Hangeng needed this moment, too. Somehow that thought calmed him down even more because it brought along a deeply rooted certainty that yes, he was always welcome back, he could always call, no matter how small the thing was that had happened. Hangeng only wanted the best for him and because of that it was hard for him as well to let go.

In the end, it was a soft knock that interrupted their moment. Without waiting for a reply, the door was opened and Heechul peeked in. A shadow appeared on his face for only a heartbeat when he took in the scene in front of him, then he entered. Ryeowook carefully tried to sit up straight again, but Hangeng didn’t let him. For a brief moment, the youngest was taken by surprise at that denial because it almost never happened that Hangeng restricted him in any way at all—and that’s when he realized that this was even further away from normal than he had first thought it was. The older’s breath was slightly uneven, the hug a little too tight to transmit mere comfort. Ryeowook’s eyes met Heechul’s and the younger saw the other had known what was going on since he had first laid eyes on them.

Let me finish packing for you,” Heechul offered and sat down with them. He took the clothes from the ground and put them straight into the suitcase, only refolding some of them clumsily. Ryeowook looked down at that gesture, feeling his heart twist. Usually only Hangeng helped the moving hybrid pack up and get prepared for their next home, if Heechul was around as well, he would leave nasty comments or cheerful instructions, depending on the mood. Either way, Heechul would never help in any other way than make sure the mood would be as light as possible. Seeing him sit down now and do his best to help Ryeowook get set up made the younger tear up again right away.

If you cry now, I’m afraid I’ll have to kill you, Kim Ryeowook,” Heechul commented quietly and his voice sounded sassy, but Ryeowook could hear so much more in it—feelings he knew the older tried to mask as good as he could. Maybe he would show them in front of Hangeng later on.

I won’t,” Ryeowook promised and wiped over his eyes, then he shifted a little to be more comfortable in Hangeng’s embrace.

You do realize I might kill you anyway, right?”

Why?”

Because now Sungmin will have to learn how to make Beijing Fried Rice as well so Hannie won’t be stressed and will be able to spend a lot of time with me.”

I can still do that when I cook,” Hangeng commented and eventually raised his head without loosening his embrace. “You know I miss cooking. No offense.”

None taken,” Ryeowook replied automatically. He knew even though Hangeng was right, he was also glad to have someone welcome him back with a warm meal when he returned to the shelter after doing work outside.

I don’t think Sungmin will be able to do it, though… He can make me Kimchi Fried Rice,” Heechul continued on with the topic he had chosen.

Did you hear that? Heechul said your Beijing Fried Rice tastes good,” Hangeng commented, making Ryeowook smile a little involuntarily.

Oh, we all know I’m a great cook.”

They were quiet for a moment until Heechul burst out laughing.

What~?” Ryeowook whined, immediately taking it that the older didn’t agree with him.

Nothing. I’m just trying to imagine a fat version of this Kyuhyun guy. I bet he doesn’t work out a lot and with your great cooking, Wookie…” Heechul explained himself. “That guy is going to be chubby before you know it!”

But I won’t cook every meal for him! He’ll be at work, too, after all.”

But maybe he’ll ask you to make lunch boxes for him,” Heechul provided.

You’ll have to make a lot then. I bet the others will want to try it. And I’m sorry to correct you, Wookie, but as far as I know, he’s still going to university and only works part time to have an easier start into his work life later on,” Hangeng revealed.

Really? That kid doesn’t even work and already gets a hybrid? How is he going to take care of my baby!?”

Hangeng laughed softly, but Ryeowook could still hear sadness in his voice. “I’ve checked his balances. He’s doing fine. He’ll be able to provide a living for himself and Wookie. From what I know, he even has his own home, so you won’t have to stay with his parents,” he explained further.

Well, that’s good,” Heechul replied. “His parents are nasty.”

You shouldn’t be talking so badly about our customers, Chul-ah.”

I didn’t even start this!” the older cat hybrid defended himself right away. “And I’m only speaking my mind about what I’ve seen. They called us pets, Hangeng! They should not be allowed to own hybrids.”

Just because I generally agree doesn’t mean I’ll say it out loud. Remember, Wookie will meet them quite frequently.”

Bah!” Heechul acted as if he had to throw up at the plain thought of that. “If their son dares to be the same way, I swear Wookie’s back here before he even unpacked!”

I think the kid is fine.”

Heechul huffed. “You better be right.” He put the last piece into the suitcase and looked at it. “It’s pretty stuffed now…”

We’re not even done yet,” Hangeng commented. “I think it might have been wiser to leave the packing to Ryeowook…”

The older cat hybrid looked up with a glare. “If you dare to repack this, we’re through, Kim Ryeowook,” he threatened.

The younger man quickly shook his head. “I wouldn’t repack it. It’s perfect the way it is. Thank you, hyung.”

Heechul’s features instantly softened. “Good. Go to bed soon, you’ll be tired enough tomorrow evening.” With those words, he stood up and left the room.

Ryeowook looked after him with a soft smile despite the rough tone. “He doesn’t want me to leave even though he wouldn’t say so.”

He’s just worried,” Hangeng replied quietly.

I can hear you!” Heechul protested from the hallway.

Ryeowook smiled at those words. Of course the older didn’t want him to know how much he truly cared, didn’t want him to know how worried he was and that he probably couldn’t sleep easily either. “I really should go to bed soon. You said Kyuhyun and his parents will be here by ten AM, right? I better be done when they arrive.”

Hangeng nodded softly. “I guess you’re right. I’ll let you finish packing then. Sleep well.”

Thank you, you too. Don’t worry too much, hyung. You said I’ll be fine, I don’t intend to prove you wrong.”

I know you don’t.” Ryeowook could see hesitancy in his friend’s eyes for a moment, then the older leaned down and placed a soft peck on his forehead. “Good night, Ryeowook.”

The younger looked down shyly at the peck and nodded softly. “Good night, hyung.”

He listened to Hangeng’s steps as he left the room, closed the door quietly, and walked to the room he and Heechul shared, then he sighed. Looking up, Ryeowook saw the empty boards of his closet. He stood up, unable to take that sight, and closed the door, then he walked over to the cupboards, slowly emptying them as well until everything looked isolated and cold, unwelcoming, saddening.

Shaking his head lightly, Ryeowook went to the bathroom to finish getting ready. He could hear quiet talking from Hyuna’s room, indicating that like almost every night the two girls slept in one room, yet it was unusual for them to still be up this late. They were probably discussing the same thing all of them were thinking about.

When he was done, Ryeowook went to Taemin’s room, skipping the girls’ room because he had already bid them goodnight earlier, and knocked softly on the door. When he didn’t get an answer, he sighed once again. “Goodnight, Taemin,” he called out softly, certain the younger wasn’t asleep just yet. Afterwards, he went to Sungmin’s room, knocking on the door softly.

Come in,” the older called out.

When Ryeowook opened the door, he saw his friend lying on his bed with a book open. Sungmin smiled at him. “I just came to say goodnight.”

Good night, Wookie. Sleep well. We can’t send you off tomorrow looking dead or sick, right?” the older replied with a soft grin.

Ryeowook smiled back. “That’s true. Good night, hyung. Sleep well, too.”

I will.”

The younger hybrid waved softly at his friend, then he closed the door again and went back to his own room. Knowing he wouldn’t be able to sleep right away, he read a little as well, but his mind kept on drifting off to the next day. What would it bring? Would Kyuhyun still be nice when it was just the two of them? Would everything work out as planned? Would he feel welcome? What did Kyuhyun’s home really look like? There were so many questions left unanswered…

When he tried to read a paragraph for the fourth time and still couldn’t have said what it was about when he had finished reading it, Ryeowook gave up. He put the book on his nightstand that used to be full enough that he had had to put his book on the floor, but now the only object left on it was his alarm clock. Who would live here next? Would that person also feel comfortable in this room?

Just like the nights before, he had trouble falling asleep. Too many ‘What if’-scenarios were playing in his head, making him wonder if any of them would come true from the best things he could imagine to the worst ones. Would he find a real friend in Kyuhyun or did he have the wrong perception of the young man and he would end up being an abuser? Would they get along well or would he feel lonely and miss the shelter a lot? Would Kyuhyun change as they got to know each other better and better?

Ryeowook turned to lie on his side, but the movement seemed to only evoke other thoughts to cross his mind. None of it got better as he turned to lie on his other side.

The soft knock on his door that interrupted his train of thoughts was almost a relief.

Hyung? Are you asleep?”

No, I’m not.” Ryeowook sat up and the light again, blinking against its brightness. The door was opened quietly and tTaemin came in, making Ryeowook almost start to laugh when he saw the figure. “What are you doing?”

I’m sorry… Can I sleep here tonight?”

Ryeowook smiled at the boy who looked more like a blanket monster the way he was holding his pillow and was wrapped in his blanket, eyes wide with obvious fear to be rejected. “Of course you can.” Usually, he didn’t like sharing his bed with others because he couldn’t sleep well when he did and he just generally wasn’t too fond of skinship and thus also not of the idea of sharing his bed, but he figured since he wouldn’t be able to sleep properly anyway, it wouldn’t become worse if Taemin slept in the same bed.

The younger cat hybrid closed the door behind himself. “I’m sorry for bothering you. I know you don’t like skinship or anything like that too much…” Taemin mumbled as he made his way to the bed with small steps, hindered by the blanket.

It’s fine. I don’t think it’ll matter tonight.”

So you can’t sleep either?”

No, I can’t.” Ryeowook scooted further towards the wall to give Taemin space in the bed that was big enough for one person, but way too small for two with two blankets and two pillows.

I just want to apologize… I haven’t been good to you though I should have been happy.”

It’s okay, Tae. You were looking forward to getting out of here while I was not. Still am not.”

Taemin sat down, but he took a moment to rearrange his blanket cocoon and his pillow. When he lay down, he to his side to look at Ryeowook. “Why not? Kyuhyun himself seemed nice.”

I know… But I feel like this is my home. With Sungmin and Heechul and Hangeng. And for the time being also with you, Hyuna, and Sohyun.”

But how can this be a home to you? We change all the time. You’ve lived here with—how many?”

Up to twelve others.”

Exactly, with up to twelve others, then you see people come and go and now it’s just the four of us. How does that not make you sad?”

It used to,” Ryeowook admitted. “But not anymore. Heechul and Hangeng take good care of me. They offered me a place I can call my home with my friends, I have a task here, I can help here, and I can see others smile every day. I didn’t have a reason to leave this place.” He looked away, feeling bad to speak like this with someone who wanted to leave.

But why aren’t you happy now anyway? You’re offered a home, someone who will look out for you. You can still cook there, I’m sure you can still sing there as well, and you can still make someone smile. And once you get to know him, I’m sure you also have a great friend by your side, so nothing would really change other than that you have a real place you belong to!” Taemin argued.

Ryeowook shook his head lightly. He knew the younger hybrid didn’t understand what he meant and he knew there was no use in trying to explain it any further. “You should sleep now.”

You should, too.”

That's true.”

They were quiet for a moment. Taemin turned around, somehow freed his arm, turned off the light, then turned back to lie on his side facing Ryeowook. The older could tell Taemin was thinking about something that bothered him, but he didn’t pressure him to speak about it. A couple of minutes passed like that until Taemin opened his mouth again, “Hyung?”

Yes?”

Can you do me a favor?”

What is it?” Did Taemin want him to cook anything else before he’d leave the next day? Then he’d have to get up really early…

Can you smile tomorrow?”

What?” Ryeowook frowned, not sure if he understood the request. Smile? Why?

Please smile when Kyuhyun picks you up. Smile and wave towards us when the two of you leave. Because if you’re sad when he takes you away from us, Hyuna, Sohyun, and I will think that you don’t deserve this chance, that we would have been so much happier, and then we’ll be upset with you because you don’t value your chance. So smile, please. And be happy.”

Ryeowook felt his heart twist once again at Taemin’s words. “Tae...”

If you can’t do it, then find a reason to stay another while. But smile when you leave.”

I will.”

They were quiet again. After a while, Taemin rolled onto his back, almost falling off the bed as he did so. He quickly scooted further onto the mattress, then they lay in silence.

Ryeowook already thought Taemin had fallen asleep when the younger spoke up again, “I can understand why he chose you, hyung.” The older propped himself up a little, wanting to see Taemin’s face in the dim light, but the younger stared straight at the ceiling without turning his head. “If I were him, I would have also chosen you. You’re responsible. You always take care of the household with Sungmin-hyung. You cook for us and you’re really good at it. You even make Heechul-hyung happy when you cook Beijing Fried Rice and that seems to be one of the greatest achievements anyone can accomplish. You’re always kind to everyone and help us, but you won’t put yourself first or expect anything in return for being nice to us. Kyuhyun won’t have any trouble with you because you’re also not ‘too young’ or ‘in puberty’ or he ‘still needs to raise’ you…”

Taemin—“

No, hyung. Don’t always doubt yourself. There’s a reason why he chose you and why none of us ever stood a chance.”

Tae, believe me, I tried to make him turn to one of you instead.”

Taemin turned his head and Ryeowook could see his eyes glistening with unshed tears. “Of course you did. But I think he had made up his mind long before the discussion between his parents and Hangeng-hyung had ended, long before he went after you.”

Tae…” Ryeowook averted his eyes, unable to hold the intense look. “Someone will come for you eventually. I’m positive about that, Taemin. Someone came for me even though I had already given up hope. And I don’t think they were talking much about me, were they?”

Taemin shook his head. “No. But that you were the perfect choice could be seen in the way you instantly got drinks for everyone, in the way you made sure everyone also always had enough to drink, in the way you re-arranged the cookies when you thought no one was watching so the plates would still look great and you wouldn’t have to refill them since hardly anyone was eating. You didn’t push yourself into the focus of attention, but you made sure everything would be perfect for those in the spotlight.”

Ryeowook was surprised Taemin had noticed that he had re-arranged the cookies subtly at some point, but then he smiled softly. “See? If you notice it, then you can do it, too.”

Taemin shook his head. “You can make it so it looks good. I couldn’t do that. It would look ugly if I tried.”

Have Sungmin give you a few tips, I learned a lot from him, too.”

But it’s just naturally you. I’m different. And what’s the point in putting on a mask if it makes you uncomfortable?”

Tae, don’t cry… Like I said, talk about it with Sungmin. I know he will be able to help you learn everything, even if you think now that you’ll never manage to learn it all. He will show you that it’s perfectly possible.”

Are you sure?”

Yes. And now sleep. You’ll have a lot to learn tomorrow if you do sit down with Sungmin. Plus, someone will need to learn how to make Beijing Fried Rice even when Hangeng isn’t home!”

Haha, as if I’d ever learn how to make it!”

Is this the right moment to tell you that I’ve known Hangeng since he was seventeen? He created this place when he was nineteen and then we ended up cooking Beijing Fried Rice together every time he made it for the first year, only then did I start doing it on my own and then it still took a while until both Hangeng and Heechul were completely satisfied with it.”

But… hyung is only 22!”

Which means I’ve been doing it on my own and well enough in their eyes for about one and a half years now,” Ryeowook resumed.

Woah… you all were very patient!”

The older giggled softly. “I had to make sure a Chinese man who knew how to make this dish perfectly well and his boyfriend who somehow knows exactly when it tastes off were satisfied with my cooking skills. That can’t be achieved in just a day or two. But if it helps: most things you want to learn are a lot easier.”

Yes, that does help…” Taemin muttered.

Now go to sleep, alright? You should be awake and motivated tomorrow.”

Yes!”

Ryeowook smiled softly and listened as Taemin first re-arranged his position once again and then slowly drifted off to sleep. It seemed like their talk had helped him relax, making the older hybrid smile. The young hybrid was so eager to learn and to make everything right. Ryeowook had absolutely no doubt that he would make it far in life and that he would find someone loving who would want to take care of him.

That thought brought him back to his worries regarding Kyuhyun…

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, thank you so much for your sweet comments on the last chapter! Please also leave a comment for this chapter because hearing your opinion always makes me really happy!

I hope you all have a wonderful day and a great weekend~