Everyone Likes Christmas and Parties

Miracles Come True

Yah, stop eating all the dough!” Kyuhyun jumped back when Ryeowook raised the rolling pin in a threat.

Don’t hit me!”

Then hands off the dough! How do you expect to get any cookies out of this if you just keep on eating the dough? You’ll only get sick if you keep doing this!”

Okay, okay, I get it.” The younger man shot Ryeowook a look that reminded the cat hybrid a lot of little children who had just been scolded and in a heartbeat, he was smiling brightly.

And you are trying to tell me you’re a grown-up,” he commented in amusement and poured some flour over the rolling pin, then he rolled the dough until it was flat and even.

Kyuhyun had found a Christmas CD somewhere, so they had Christmas songs playing quietly in the background. Ryeowook could tell the CD had been made for children, yet he still didn’t know most of the songs on it.

So both of us have always done this with others, haven’t we?” Kyuhyun summed up what he had learned the day before and earlier that day while he got a few cookie cutters. Ryeowook curiously looked through them and found stars, circles, rectangles, a Christmas star, even an angel and a Santa Claus as well as hearts, a crescent moon, and a bunny and a lamb.

Yes, I guess. I hope Sungmin did it with the others this year,” he replied as he picked up the bunny and the lamb. “Aren’t these here rather for Easter?”

Yes, they actually are…” Kyuhyun admitted and looked a little embarrassed. “But the cookies will still taste the same, no matter what form they have, won’t they?”

Ryeowook clicked his tongue in disapproval. “We’re making Christmas cookies and not Easter cookies! We can use these around Easter.”

Are you for real?”

Yes, I am.” They held their gazes for a moment, Kyuhyun’s surprised and Ryeowook’s full of certainty, though he wavered on the inside. In fact, Kyuhyun was right and they all would taste the same but… they were still Easter symbols.

In the end, Kyuhyun cracked a smile. “I guess you’re right.” The cat hybrid let out a breath he hadn’t realized he had been holding and smiled back warmly. “You know, I like your confidence! It’s good to see you like this.”

Ryeowook scoffed. “You sound just like Heechul-hyung.”

Is that a bad thing?”

I’ll think about it.”

Kyuhyun laughed and eventually picked one of the forms lying scattered around in front of them, so Ryeowook put the other two forms away before he joined Kyuhyun again. “Let’s start with the cookies now, alright? Do you want to take some to the Christmas party later? I’m sure Heechul-sshi and Hangeng-sshi would be happy about that.”

Ryeowook looked at the younger in surprise and then nodded. “Sure, if that’s fine with you?”

Of course it is! You also made some other cookies already, after all.”

Ryeowook grinned at Kyuhyun and nodded, then he picked the angel form and happily started to cut out pieces of the dough as well.

Oh, do we need to preheat the oven?” Kyuhyun suddenly asked.

I almost forgot about that!” Ryeowook quickly put the fourth angel on the baking tray, then he went to the oven to set it to preheat. Since he had done this recipe often already, he knew by heart which temperature he needed to set the oven to. When that was done, he joined Kyuhyun again and picked one of the heart shapes to continue what he had done before. “Thank you for reminding me.”

You’re welcome,” the younger replied and they smiled at each other, then continued what they were doing.

When the first tray was done with all kinds of cookie forms, Ryeowook carefully put it into the oven and got the second prepared baking plate instead to continue with that one.

Don’t you need to set a timer?” Kyuhyun asked in surprise, but the cat hybrid just shook his head.

No. We’re standing right next to the oven, after all. And remember that my senses are a little better than yours,” he replied with a shy smile towards the slightly taller man. Somehow speaking about his heightened senses being an advantage over humans was still strange to him.

Ah yes, that’s true,” the younger agreed with a grin and picked the last cookie out of the dough. Ryeowook poured some more flower on the rolling pin in the meantime and then also on the cooking pad he was using. When he was done, Kyuhyun put the dough that he had rolled into a ball on the pad and Ryeowook rolled it thin once again.

Can I go first?”

Sure.”

The cat hybrid smiled happily and took the Santa Clause cookie cutter to also make four Santa Clauses that he then carefully placed on the tray. Seeing they already had a lot of hearts and stars, he took the rectangle next while Kyuhyun continued with a circle that had fuzzy edges.

You always make four of the big things… So it’s one for you, one for me, one for Hangeng-sshi, and one for Heechul-sshi, isn’t it?”

Ryeowook blushed softly and nodded. “Yes. I don’t think we have those forms at the shelter and since angels and Santa Clause belong to Christmas the most, I thought they’d be happy to get one each.”

I’m sure you’re right about that.”

The slightly older man beamed at Kyuhyun at the confirmation and hummed along to the song playing in the background. He didn’t know the lyrics, but the melody sounded familiar. Maybe it was simply because they had gotten to the second chorus. Kyuhyun was quick to chime in as well, singing the lyrics along to the melody and Ryeowook once again got the overwhelming feeling of belonging and of being at home.


 

Wookie!”

Before Ryeowook even got the chance to take off his coat after entering the party location, he was engulfed in a tight hug by his best friend, arms and cat tail wrapped around him as if Heechul never wanted to let him go. Peeking over the older’s shoulder, Ryeowook could see Hangeng laugh at his boyfriend’s happiness.

Chullie, why won’t you let them enter and take off their coats first?”

Heechul shook his head. “Nope. He’s mine now. I won’t let him go again.”

Actually…” Kyuhyun started but was quickly silenced by what Ryeowook assumed would be a death glare from his best friend.

Hyung, can I at least take off my coat? It’s too warm like this. You’re suffocating me.”

Heechul huffed. “If you all insist…” He took a step back, but his eyes were still twinkling with joy.

Ryeowook smiled back and hurried to take off his coat, realizing Kyuhyun had already finished with that, then they both entered properly. The cat hybrid went to Hangeng next to hug him tightly as well before he took a step back again, smiling happily. “Merry Christmas~”

Merry Christmas, you two!” the couple replied.

Ryeowook held out the see-through bag with Christmas ornaments on it that he had prepared shortly before he and Kyuhyun had left for the party. “Here, this is for you two.”

You brought cookies?” Heechul exclaimed in delight as he took the bag from his best friend’s hands.

That wouldn’t have been necessary, but thank you,” Hangeng replied and curiously took a look at the bag as well.

Hannie, look, there are even angels! And isn’t that one a Santa Claus?” Heechul pointed at one of the cookies, his eyes shining in adoration and Ryeowook felt his heart overflow with pride and happiness at the reaction they got. Kyuhyun gently wrapped an arm around his shoulders and Ryeowook lightly leaned into the touch.

Yes, there’s an angel and a Santa Claus for each of you,” the younger cat hybrid replied softly. “And I know it wouldn’t have been necessary, but I thought it would make you happy.”

The couple looked up and for a moment, he could see surprise on their faces and Ryeowook blushed because he knew they still weren’t used to the fact that he allowed skinship with Kyuhyun. Plus, they had never really seen it, he had only talked about it so far.

A moment later, the surprise faded from Heechul’s expression and it was replaced with warmth and love and a happiness Ryeowook had only ever seen when Heechul looked at Hangeng. “I am happy,” the oldest among them replied softly and jumped when the doorbell suddenly rang again. “Hannie, I’ll put this in your bag, okay?” he said and didn’t wait for a reply before he added, “Kyuhyun, Wookie, why don’t you go into the main room? A few others have already arrived. Wookie, I’m sure you’ll love tonight.” Their eyes met for a moment and both of their gazes were bright with happiness over the course the evening was taking already, then Heechul hurried along the hallway and vanished into one of the rooms.

Ryeowook glanced over his shoulder to see one of the hybrids who had gotten adopted right at the very beginning enter the room. Their eyes met and they waved at each other, then the young cat hybrid turned to the front and went to the only open door nearby. Stepping past the doorframe, Ryeowook’s eyes and mouth opened a little in awe at what he saw: a big room was lying ahead of them. A buffet with all kinds of snacks and beverages lined one of the four walls and a huge, heavily decorated Christmas tree was standing in one corner. One part of the room had been equipped with chairs and tables that all held small Christmas decorations, the other part of the room had been left free to move easily and probably chat with everyone while standing. An impressive chandelier hung in the middle of the ceiling and its fake candles had been . More lights on the walls spread a comfortable light that was neither too bright nor too low, tinting the room in warm brightness. The entire room had been designed in bright colors, creating a chic and elegant atmosphere without overdoing it.

Ryeowook, is that you?” he suddenly heard someone call out from ahead of them and when he looked over to that person, he found Henry, a monkey hybrid who was about his height, approach them. “Oh my god, it is you! Finally! I’ve been waiting to see you here!”

Henry!” Ryeowook exclaimed and gently freed himself from Kyuhyun’s embrace to walk over to his friend. “How are you doing?”

I’m good, what about you?”

Me, too.”

Henry laughed. “I can see that! You two look happy together.”

Thank you,” Kyuhyun replied and bowed lightly as he introduced himself. Henry bowed back and also gave a proper introduction, then he motioned for them to follow along to the small circle that had already formed.

Wookie, I want to introduce Zhou Mi to you.”

Ryeowook grinned and followed his friend to the circle. He knew half the people who were around while he didn’t remember having even met the other half in most part. That was no surprise since it happened often that future hybrid owners only came once to pick a hybrid, maybe again to chat with them in private and get to know the hybrid a little better, and then for a final time to take that hybrid home with them, so most of the time the hybrid owner would only really be seen once by all the hybrids in the shelter.

Ryeowook bowed towards the others and he watched as all of them bowed back lightly, the other hybrids with recognition and happiness displayed on their faces.

Ryeowook, please meet Zhou Mi,” Henry said when everyone had said their hellos and gestured towards a tall, lean man beside him.

The young cat hybrid lightly bowed towards him. “Hello Zhou Mi-sshi. It’s nice to meet you.”

It’s nice to meet you, too, Ryeowook-sshi. Henry mentioned you as a good friend of his several times, so it’s good to finally get to know you in person,” the other man replied in a slightly accented voice and bowed his head lightly.

You mentioned me?” Ryeowook asked in surprise, looking at his friend again. They hadn’t seen or heard from each other in almost two years, so the cat hybrid really hadn’t expected Henry to still be thinking about him.

Yes, of course! We used to be so close, hyung… I just didn’t get the chance to really stay in contact with anyone here in Korea…” Henry admitted.

You live in China, don’t you?” Kyuhyun spoke up from behind Ryeowook and the latter turned around to look at the younger, baffled.

Yes, we do,” Zhou Mi agreed.

How come you looked for a hybrid here in Korea then?” Hearing only genuine curiosity in Kyuhyun’s voice, Ryeowook decided not to interfere and to listen instead. He turned back to watch Zhou Mi again, just as interested in hearing the answer as Kyuhyun was.

The Chinese man laughed softly. “That’s simple: the market here is actually much better than in China. Not only are there more hybrids here—at least if we look at percentages—but the conditions under which hybrids are raised are usually better, even in the big shelters.”

A shiver ran down Ryeowook’s spine at the mention of big shelters and when he glanced at Henry, their eyes met for a moment and the slightly younger teenager nodded. The cat hybrid gulped. A part of him wondered how hybrids were usually treated in China during the time that they didn’t have an owner, but a much larger part of him didn’t even want to know anything about that since he had learned how miserable living conditions could even be in big Korean shelters.

The fingers of a warm hand s into his hand to intertwine with his own fingers and when he glanced to his other side, he found Kyuhyun looking at him, sending him a warm and comforting smile before he looked up at Zhou Mi again. “That sounds really tough. I’m glad then that you decided to rather support the system here and especially Hangeng-sshi’s shelter.”

Zhou Mi nodded eagerly. “I’m glad I found out about this one. Places like this definitely need to be supported further.”

Kyuhyun nodded passionately. “Yes, that’s true.”

They continued to chat like that while more and more people slowly filed into the room. Ryeowook was happy to see Kyuhyun get along with the people he met. The young cat hybrid only spotted a few hybrids around whom he hadn’t met before and he learned that two of them were first hybrids while the ones from Hangeng’s shelter had been those owners' second hybrids and a few others had joined Hangeng’s shelter after that other shelter Heechul and Hangeng had told him about had been closed. He enjoyed getting to know them and hearing their stories, but he was surprised to realize that even he could already give tips to someone who had only been adopted recently and still didn’t feel comfortable and didn’t really know how to behave, how to not get pushed away once again.

Taeyeon-unnie! Ryeowook-oppa, is that you?” a young, female voice called out from behind Ryeowook and when the cat hybrid turned around from where he’d been talking to one of the dog hybrids he’d been close to for a while, he found another dog hybrid approach them with a young man by her side.

Sooyoung-ah,” Taeyeon replied and Ryeowook could see from the corner of his eyes that she was waving towards the other.

You two also managed to stay in contact?” he asked with a happy smile and turned back to Taeyeon again who nodded in response.

Yes, we did.”

The two girls had found an owner at about the same time, leaving Ryeowook with only Taemin and Sungmin around to talk to for a while. Shortly after that, a new wave of hybrids had hit the shelter as it seemed to always be the case shortly after the Chinese New Year's. For a reason he himself didn’t know about, Taeyeon had also returned for a while before she had found a new owner. He had no idea how anyone could have been cruel to someone as beautiful and wonderful as Taeyeon, but having seen her with the young man she was living with now had made clear that in the end things had changed for the better.

I’m glad to hear that.”

Unnie, how are you doing? Oppa, what about you? I’m so glad to finally see you here! It’s taken you long enough, after all,” Sooyoung greeted them with a mischievous sparkle in her eyes.

I’m doing good,” Taeyeon replied and Ryeowook nodded as well.

Me, too. And this year someone came around to take me home.”

Who is it?” Sooyoung asked, scanning the small crowd in the room.

Ryeowook turned around and searched for Kyuhyun to eventually spot him standing with Hangeng and a few other owners he hadn’t seen before. Hangeng looked up a moment later, scanning the room with what seemed to be a routine glance, and their eyes met. He nudged Kyuhyun and said something to him, making the younger man turn around to look into their direction. Once their eyes met, Ryeowook motioned for Kyuhyun to come over and the younger one nodded. He bowed towards the others he was talking to, then he casually walked over to them.

Woah, he looks handsome,” Sooyoung muttered under her breath and Ryeowook instantly blushed in Kyuhyun’s place.

I know,” he mumbled in embarrassment and looked down, feeling Taeyeon’s and Sooyoung’s eyes on him.

Oppa, do you like him?” Taeyeon instantly started to tease and Ryeowook was quick to shake his head.

“No, it’s not like that.”

Then why are you blushing?”

I don’t know… But it’s really not like that. He’s my family, that’s all.”

Sooyoung huffed. “Well, if you say so…”

When Kyuhyun arrived at their circle, he bowed lightly towards everyone. “Hello.” When something in his posture changed, Ryeowook glanced up to see surprise on the other’s face. “Yesung-sunbaenim!”

The young man next to Sooyoung frowned. “Wait… Kyuhyun?” The younger man nodded. “Wow, I’m surprised to see you here.”

You two know each other?” Sooyoung asked the question that Ryeowook had been asking himself as well.

Yesung nodded. “We met in our school choir during high school. It was when I was a senior and Kyuhyun-ah here has been a freshman. He quickly gained a reputation due to his voice.”

This time, it was Kyuhyun’s turn to blush faintly. “Thank you. I was honored to sing with you during that year.”

Have you ever pursued your dream of becoming a singer?”

Ryeowook looked at Kyuhyun again in utter surprise; he hadn’t even known Kyuhyun had wanted to become a singer!

The younger man shook his head. “No, my father wanted me to go into business, so that’s what I did. What about you?”

I did try, but so far I’m still mainly taking lessons. They say it’s almost too late to do anything with my voice now because I didn’t join when I was still a kid.” Yesung shrugged.

Good luck with it! I really hope they’ll see your talent and that you’ll become a big star with your voice!” Kyuhyun replied and Ryeowook could hear honest admiration and wonder in it. Yesung’s voice had to be really good if Kyuhyun spoke that highly of him now.

Thank you. Good luck to you, too.”

Thanks.”

Taeyeon-ah.” The entire circle looked up when another good-looking, tall, young man joined them and Ryeowook realized he remembered having seen him before. He had one of those faces that he had easily remembered even though he had already known at that time that the young man wouldn’t be interested in him. Seeing him and Taeyeon together now suddenly made him think of all those celebrity pictures he had come across on the internet already. “Do you have some time? There’s someone I’d like to introduce you to.”

The female dog hybrid nodded. “Of course, Siwon-oppa.” She turned back to the others in the circle. “I’ll see you all later, alright?” she said and waved towards them, then she left with the man she had called Siwon.

Next to Ryeowook, Kyuhyun let out a long breath. “Wow, Hangeng-sshi really does have a lot of influence…” The other three in the circle turned to face him again, so Kyuhyun elaborated what he meant, “Haven’t you all heard of him? Choi Siwon is really successful at what he’s doing and somehow he manages to do business and modeling at the same time, I heard he even got offers to play in dramas while he also helps with all kinds of charity organizations.”

Does he even have time to take proper care of Taeyeon then?” Yesung asked, apparently not having known about the details of Siwon’s life.

Sooyoung was quick to nod. “Yes, he does! Though she does most of the work around the house, she also gets to accompany him whenever he goes abroad. She just makes sure not to be on the pictures. But remember when I haven’t called her in over a month in June? Siwon was in Afrika with her to help the children there.”

How did I not know about that?” Yesung wondered out loud, obviously surprised that even Sooyoung knew about it.

The young dog hybrid simply shrugged. “I don’t know~” Her eyes scanned the room again. “Ah, guys, I have to leave! I still haven’t said hello to everyone.”

Alright, see you later,” Ryeowook replied and watched as she strolled off again with Yesung. When they were gone, he looked at Kyuhyun again. “Do the people here really have as much influence as you say they do?”

Kyuhyun nodded. “Some do at least. There are also people around whom I’ve heard of for the first time today, but I know some people just like Choi Siwon have a lot of influence. I had no idea this party would also serve to make business related contacts…” He huffed, visibly stressed out about that fact and Ryeowook laughed softly. Without thinking twice about it, he hugged Kyuhyun briefly but tightly to show him that everything was okay and that he should simply relax.

Tae, do you see that?”

Ryeowook turned around when he heard his best friend’s voice to see Heechul and Taemin approach them.

Yah, hyung, now you irritated him!” the youngest cat hybrid among them replied.

Taemin-ah!” Ryeowook exclaimed and quickly took Kyuhyun’s hand to pull the other along to the other two hybrids. “Tae, how are you? I haven’t heard from you in so long!”

Wow, I’ve never seen you allow that much skinship with anyone but Heechul-hyung and Hangeng-hyung,” Taemin replied without answering the question.

Ryeowook blushed once again and quickly let go of Kyuhyun, but the slightly taller man casually wrapped an arm around his shoulders in response.

Tae, do you think he’s really allowed to do that?” Heechul replied, ignoring the fact that Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were standing right in front of them.

No, I don’t think so. The first rule to ever learn at the shelter is that no one can touch Wookie-hyung. Everyone has to stick to that.”

You learned the rules so well, my baby!” Heechul exclaimed and pulled Taemin into a tight hug and the younger responded to it with an equally tight embrace.

Ryeowook laughed at his friends fuzzing around. “Well, hyung, you were the one who wanted me gone, so don’t be crying over the fact that you’re not the only one who can touch me anymore.”

Heechul gasped in playful horror. “Did you hear that? He said it’s my fault!”

But it’s never your fault, hyung.”

Exactly! Aish, that kid is no good for him.”

Hey, I can hear you,” Kyuhyun protested weakly but started to pull his arm away. To stop him, Ryeowook finally wrapped his own arm around Kyuhyun’s waist, not really wanting the younger to pull away, even if it was just to tease Heechul further.

Tae, do you see that?”

Yes, I do.”

I think our Wookie-baby is starting to actually like skinship.”

Taemin inhaled sharply as if those were the most shocking news he’d ever heard in his life. “No, that can’t be. Hyung, prepare for the apocalypse!”

Ryeowook burst out laughing at those words and finally, Kyuhyun seemed to relax properly again as well. “There won’t be any apocalypse just because I decided that it’s okay for Kyuhyun to hug me.”

No, no, no, but Tae, you don’t know the whole story yet.”

What is it?” Taemin looked at Heechul expectantly.

Heechul leaned in to whisper into Taemin’s ear, but Ryeowook could still understand every single word, “Wookie even lets him caress his cat ears.”

He what!?” Taemin exclaimed, making Heechul jump.

Aish, noisy kid, you’re making me go deaf like that!”

But… but…” Taemin turned to look at him. “Hyung, be honest with me, are you an alien?”

Why should I be an alien?” Ryeowook asked back in slight shock.

Heechul on the other hand just laughed. “Alien-Wookie! Please excuse me, guys, I have to tell Hannie about that!”

Ryeowook shook his head as he watched Heechul leave them confidently, indeed going into the exact direction Hangeng was in. Had Heechul known the entire time where to find Hangeng?

He pushed those thoughts away and looked at Taemin again who was smiling brightly now. “In all honesty now, how are you?”

I’m perfect! Minho-hyung is wonderful with me, hyung.”

Where is he? I want to get to know him.”

Taemin glanced around the room for a moment, then he pointed into the direction of the buffet. “He’s over there. Ah, looking at it, I’m getting really hungry. Let’s grab a snack when we’re with hyung anyway.”

Ryeowook laughed softly and nodded. “Alright, that sounds like a great plan,” he agreed and looked up at Kyuhyun to see the other nod as well. He could see that Kyuhyun was in a really good mood, making him even happier. No, to him at least, this was not a business meeting. Maybe the party could indeed be important for Kyuhyun because he could form relations with the others around that could help him even outside this place, but to him, this would just be a great evening spent with his friends. What a shame that the others at the shelter couldn’t be here yet. He was certain they all would love it, especially Hyuna and Sohyun.


 

As the night progressed, music was and something like a dance floor formed. Small groups appeared when everyone started to sit with their old and new friends while Hangeng and Heechul walked around to talk to everyone. Ryeowook found himself at a table with Taeyeon, Siwon, Sooyoung, Yesung, and of course Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun was doing a lot of catching up with Yesung and somehow Siwon also managed to stay on track with the ongoing conversation and participate in it while the two girls were also talking to each other. Ryeowook on the other hand was having difficulties staying focused on anything for a longer period of time. He was starting to get tired and he knew he should probably ask Kyuhyun to go home because he’d have to work the next day, but at the same time, he didn’t want to leave. This was one of the rare chances he got lately to spend time with his friends from the shelter, with Heechul, with Hangeng, and with Kyuhyun. This time was way too precious for him to give up on it so quickly!

When Heechul sat down with them on his walk around, the conversation broadened and everyone participated in it for a while. Ryeowook comfortably leaned his head on his best friend’s shoulder and felt the older wrap an arm and his cat tail around him, making him wrap his tail around Heechul as well. For just a moment, he felt reminded of how things had been before he had gotten to know Kyuhyun, how many times they had sat together like this during movies, how many times Hangeng had also joined them as they had sat like that, and he allowed himself to close his eyes as he dwelled on those nostalgic feelings.

Oppa, you shouldn’t always confuse young girls so much.” Sooyoung’s amused voice suddenly sounded a lot closer than it should be considering she sat at the other end of the table.

But it was funnier like that. And they should learn about those things right from the beginning anyway,” Heechul argued.

But oppa, you can’t just rewrite fairytales,” Taeyeon replied and laughed.

Why not? No one else will, so I just volunteered to do it.”

Ryeowook opened his eyes again. For some reason, Sooyoung and Taeyeon were indeed sitting right across from them while Kyuhyun and the other two seemed to still be talking next to them. The young cat hybrid rubbed his eyes a little as he sat up. “Volunteered to do what?”

Heechul laughed softly and reached out a hand, expertly fixing the younger’s hair while he spoke, “Remember that one time you called and Hyuna and Sohyun came running up to me to ask me whether Cinderella is a girl or a boy?” Ryeowook hummed in response. “That’s what we were talking about. Sooyoung and Taeyeon say that I can’t just tell others that Rella was a boy.”

But Hangeng-hyung calls you Rella as well…”

That’s exactly what I’m saying! Count on you to help me.” Heechul grinned at him and turned back to the two dog hybrids. “See what I’m talking about?”

Of course Ryeowook-oppa will have your back. You’re like brothers,” Taeyeon replied and rolled her eyes.

You’re just jealous,” Heechul

Ah, did I really just fall asleep?” Ryeowook asked to change the topic.

“’Just’?” Heechul repeated with a sorry smile. “You’ve slept for probably half an hour, maybe even a little longer.”

So long?” The younger boy’s eyes widened and he shrank a little in his place and covered his face. “I’m sorry. This is so embarrassing…”

“It's not,” Sooyoung replied. “Oppa told us that you’ve been out to work all morning and that you’ll work again tomorrow. There’s nothing embarrassing about falling asleep when you’re working as a cook during Christmas.”

Ryeowook glanced around to find Hangeng at another table. He looked tired as well but also like he was having a good time nevertheless. “Hyung didn’t fall asleep and he’s also helping out as a cook in his free time when someone’s sick or it’s a holiday.”

That’s true,” Heechul agreed and Ryeowook could tell the other wanted to add something but then changed his mind. When he raised an eyebrow while looking at his best friend, the latter simply shook his head.

Oh, Ryeowook.” Said young man looked over to where Kyuhyun had stopped his previous conversation to now look at him with a warm smile. “Should we go home?”

The cat hybrid hesitated. “I don’t know… you seem to have fun,” he pointed out, not wanting to leave if Kyuhyun was enjoying himself.

I do, but I’m starting to get tired.”

So you’re already done talking?” Ryeowook still wasn’t convinced, especially because Kyuhyun didn’t look tired to him at all, so he knew the other was just faking it to make him feel better. It didn’t work.

Kyuhyun on the other hand just smiled. “There are these two wonderful inventions called the internet and cell phones. So don’t worry, I’ll be able to stay in touch. What about you? Did you remember to get people’s numbers?”

The cat hybrid shook his head in embarrassment and took a moment to check if he had even brought his phone. It turned out he had.

Sooyoung across from him gasped. “You have a phone and I still don’t have your number?”

Taeyeon held out her hand. “Do you have your phone here?”

Ryeowook nodded and took it out of the pocket of his pants to hand it over to the dog hybrid who easily unlocked it. “Let’s see… You definitely need my number and Sooyoung-ah’s…” she started and was quick to type in the contact data with Sooyoung’s help. “Then let’s also add Henry… not to forget about Taemin…” Within a few minutes and no chance for Ryeowook to protest, Taeyeon and Sooyoung had added the phone numbers of almost every hybrid in the room. “One more thing to do…”

The group chat?” Sooyoung asked and nodded a moment later—apparently Taeyeon did just add Ryeowook to some group chat. The younger dog hybrid glanced up and laughed at the startled expression Ryeowook was making. “People have to get your number, too, after all! And since we all want to stay in contact, we established a big group chat on KakaoTalk with all the hybrids who left the shelter.”

Ryeowook blushed and looked down, realizing he hadn’t thought of that. A couple of seconds later, his phone was held out to him. “There, all done.”

Thank you.” The young cat hybrid took his phone back and smiled shyly at the two young women across from him.

Next to him, Kyuhyun got up. “Alright, this is our call to leave.”

Ryeowook nodded and got up as well. They stepped away from the table and then bowed to the others as they said goodbye. They went around the tables so Ryeowook could bid everyone goodbye and wouldn’t feel bad in the end because he had forgotten about anyone. By the time they were done, Heechul and Hangeng were standing as well. They accompanied them to the front door of the building where Ryeowook and Kyuhyun put on their coats again.

Thank you for coming. And thank you for the cookies,” Hangeng said in a soft voice and with a warm smile.

You’re welcome. Thank you for the invitation. Tonight was wonderful,” Kyuhyun replied and Ryeowook nodded eagerly.

Hyung, this was your idea, wasn’t it?” he asked towards Heechul who nodded in response.

The initial idea was mine, yes, because I told Hannie about how much I’ve always hated losing contact. But it was him who surprised me around October of our first year with the shelter when he presented the first draft of a Christmas invitation to me.” Heechul looked at his boyfriend and their eyes met and held as they transmitted a silent communication. Ryeowook smiled, feeling incredibly happy for his best friend and at the same time feeling like he was watching something he shouldn’t watch.

A moment later, Hangeng turned to them again. “Yes. I thought everyone would profit from it and having seen how much Heechul wanted to somehow stay in touch with everyone, I thought this would be a nice way to do it. I mean, everyone likes Christmas and parties.”

Heechul nodded. “This was a great idea!” He looked at Ryeowook again and his eyes were sparkling with joy. “But I think this year we had the best party so far.”

Ryeowook blushed and looked down awkwardly. “I’ll try not to fall asleep next year.”

I get my fair share of you, no matter whether you’re awake or asleep. Plus, you’re really cute when you’re asleep,” Heechul commented with a wink.

Anyway, we don’t want to hold you guys up. Get home safely, alright? And text me when you get there. Kyuhyun, in case Wookie falls asleep again and you need someone to talk to while you drive, don’t hesitate to call one of us, okay?” Hangeng changed the topic and a warm surge of love and the certainty of being loved flowed through Ryeowook at those words. Hangeng cared so much about them… Heechul was lucky to have found such a wonderful boyfriend.

Next to him, Kyuhyun nodded, and when Ryeowook glanced up, he could see that the slightly younger man had blushed lightly. “I will. Thank you for your offer.”

The young cat hybrid stepped in to hug his two best friends tightly once again, then he stepped back one last time. “Goodnight. Get home safely tonight, alright? And text me as well when you get there.”

Heechul nodded. “We will,” he assured. “Goodnight.”

Kyuhyun bowed towards the other two, then they left.

How did you like the party?” Kyuhyun asked when they were in the car again. He had taken off his coat and put it on the backseat instead, but he had also opened the window lightly. Ryeowook didn’t dare to protest since he figured those were Kyuhyun’s measures of making sure he’d stay awake.

I really liked it. Thank you for letting us come here.”

Why should I not have done that?”

The cat hybrid shrugged. “I don’t know.” They were silent for a moment, then he added, “How did you like it?”

I liked it a lot, actually. It was great to talk to all of those people and it was great to see everyone get along and understand why that is the longer the evening lasted.”

So you got along well with Siwon-sshi and Yesung-sshi?”

Yes. And with Sooyoung-sshi and Taeyeon-sshi as well.”

I’m happy to hear that.”

They continued to talk about minor things for the duration of the drive and Kyuhyun told Ryeowook about his catching up with Yesung. Ryeowook made sure to stay awake and be as talkative as possible to help Kyuhyun stay awake and concentrated during this night drive.

When they arrived at the apartment, they decided to simply brush their teeth at the same time, neither of them wanting to wait longer than they had to until they could go to sleep.

By the time Ryeowook texted Hangeng to tell him they had arrived safely, he could see on his alarm clock that he would get less than three hours of sleep until he’d have to get up again to go to work.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's the second part of Christmas, the one that has already been hinted at in the last chapter~ I once again hope you guys liked it? It was definitely a lot of fun (and I'm sorry that the 'baking cookies' part wasn't exactly a big thing, but the chapter would've become unbelievably long otherwise! Plus, the more important part was definitely the party itself~

Please let me know what you think of this chapter~ :* <3