Chapter Two

Why can't you understand?

I look up at the celling in my room, trying to keep the tears in my eyes from coming out. At the moment it is 5:23 and Suga is picking me up at 6:30. Time is running out.

I cannot find anything, I mean anything to wear. I don’t wear dresses, AT ALL. I don’t want to look tacky. But not too fancy, and this is where the tears started.

About 12 minutes later I hear the door open and my dad greet Suga. I panic and look at the clock, it was only a couple minutes after 5:30. What is he doing here now?

After about two minutes of panicking, I hear a knock on my door. I get up and open it.

“Suga, what the heck are you doing here already?” I ask franticly

He has his hands behind his back, “I knew how much you would be panicking.” He pauses “So, I brought you a surprise.” He takes his hands from behind his back. He has a sack, a sack with clothes.

I stutter as I talk, “Y… y… you brought me… me clothes?”

He walks in and hands the bag to me. “Open it and see if looks like your style, if not we can go and get something you’d rather wear.” He smiles 

“Suga, you didn’t have to do this for me.” I say

He looks at me putting his hand on my head, “But I did.” He backs out of the door closing it as he talks. “Now, get to moving and try them on. Your shoe size is 220 right?” he says

Once again I struggle to talk. “Uh…Um, yeah.”

He closes the door and I turn around with the bag in my arms.

I gently open the bag and pull out a muster-yellow sweater. It has brown buttons going down it and has pockets on either sides, it comes down to my knees. I pull the next thing out. It is a black crop top. I comes up to my neck and doesn’t pass my belly button. I pull the next thing out, as I pull the pants come out of the perfect fold, they are high waisted pants. I put them against me and the cover up to my belly button. The light jeans have holes in the knees and in the thighs. I pull out the leather ankle boots. I look at them and smile.

Suga knows my too well. He always pays attention to what I like and dislike. Suga never forgets too. He remembers everything I say.

I put everything on one by one. I do a quick twirl in the mirror and smile. I open the door and Suga is leaning against the wall with his foot prompt up. He takes a double take and smiles.

“I didn’t know the clothes would look that cute.” He says as his smile grows bigger.

I smile. “Thank you Suga.” I hug him and he wraps his arms around my back.

“Alright. Now let’s get you out of here.” He says letting go of me

“Okay.” I smile

“Wait.” He sticks his hand in his pocket. “Turn around.”

I slowly turn around facing the opposite direction. “Alright.”

He puts his hands in front of me stretching out a golden necklace. “’Finishing touch.” He says

 I turn around putting my hand on the necklace he just laced around my neck. “Suga, I could ask for a better friend.” I hug him again

“It’s what big brothers are for, Jeongi.” He pauses “Jeongi?”

“Yes.” I smile

“I love you.” He smiles putting his hand on my head

I reach up putting my hand on his head too. “I love you too, you dork.”

He snobs at me and then straightens his body. “Come on little girl.”

I sigh. “I could smack you.”

“But you won’t.” He says running down the steps

I run down catching up with him. “Not fair.”

I run down the stairs and into the kitchen. My dad is standing there with his arms crossed. He looks up at me and his eyes glisten in the light.

“Suga, you did great.” He pauses taking my hand. “A little too great.”

“Papa. He did great.” I say smiling

“Get her out of here before I change my mind.” He says letting go of my hand

“Yes sir.” Suga smiles and leads me out the door.

I walk a few steps grabbing my bag off the hook by the door. That’s where my mom always put her purse. It was always there, always. She only moved it if she needed it. My mother was a very clean person and liked to keep everything in its place.

“Bye papa.” I yell as we walk out. He looks at me and then smiles.

I always feel guilty leaving him alone. When I come back he is in his room crying. He cries over my mom every day. Even though we try to get over it, we never can. I think that we are equal in how much we miss her. I miss being able to go to someone, that I feel I can tell anything. She would always listen to me and never would she interrupt. She would correct me but never judge. I would ask her to tell me what to do. She would always say, “Jeongi, the world is a bad place. And you are the only one to know what to do. Somethings might be hard, but pieces may look like they are falling apart, but they are falling together. Making a better, a beautiful puzzle, that will eventually fall together in another puzzle. And that puzzle too, it will fall apart to. Some parts of the puzzle will stick together and those are the things and people that stay with you. And the ones that come apart, they will leave, but do not let that take you down and take that puzzle piece away. Every piece will stay. Until you lose it.”

I will remember that for my life. I will never forget the lessons she taught me.

 I walk out the door and look at Suga as we walk. He looks and smiles at me. “What?” I say smiling

“Jeongi,” he pauses “I…I” he gets interrupted by someone running up to us

The person yells, “There you are!” Suga looks back and smiles at the guy.

“What’s up Zeiku?” he says

“Hey man. Who’s the hot girl?” the guy says looking up and down at me.

“Hey, bruh. This is my best friend, eyes off.” The smile falls off of his face

“Ah, I see. You want her to yourself. With that body I bet she is good in the…” Suga interrupts him, I stand there awkwardly. Suga grabs my wrist and pulling me behind him.

“Bruh, you need to leave.” Suga says with anger

“Just give me ya girl and I will leave.”  He says moving closer to me. Suga interlocks his fingers with mine and squeezes it 2 times.

“Alright listen, you ert.” His voice becomes angry. “If you touch her, I will break you. Not only that, you will never have a child of your own. So get out of her.” He cusses as he says this, I just try to keep my memories clean, for you of course.

The guy moves closer to me and tries to take my wrist. I pull away, but not fast enough. He grabs it and pulls me to him. I feel Suga pull back on the other end.

“What the hell do you think you are doing?” Suga says with the meanest face.

“Gemme the girl, and we have to hard feelings.” he says tugging on me once again

“Okay Jeongi, remember what I taught you.” Suga says without taking his eyes off of him.

“I couldn’t forget.” I say

“Okay, action.” He says letting go of my hand. I then take my free hand to grab the guy’s wrist, from there I twist it. Moving to his back I kick him in the stomach and pull his arm behind his back. “And last part” Suga says as he swings his leg to hit the guy in, well, a very tender spot. “Touch her again, it’s gonna be worst.” Suga grabs my hand and pulls me away to walk with him.

“I’m sorry I put you through that.” I say as we walk down the busy street.

“I just glad I was there to protect you.” He says looking back to smile.

“Even if you weren’t standing there at first, you so  would of found your way to get to me, wouldn’t you?” I say smiling right back.

“How’d you know?”  He lets go of my wrist and walks ahead of me.