Howler | Yoongi/Seokjin

Amortentia

Yoongi has a faint trail of freckles over the bridge of his nose, an appendectomy scar on his abdomen, a beauty mark just behind his left ear. He’s soft in the morning, like his mind and body don’t feel like keeping up the usual cold front that quite literally terrifies most first and second year students. Seokjin knows a lot about Yoongi, things that he prides himself for knowing when nobody else does- or possibly ever will.

Yoongi is an animagus, pure blooded as well, and has a habit of getting black and tan fur all over Seokjin’s prefect robes when he sneaks up into the Gryffindor dormitories, not apologetic about it one single bit when he saunters out in the morning with a smug little grin on his face and a huff that speaks volumes of just how much he enjoys getting a rise out of his perfectionist boyfriend.

Seokjin is absolutely smitten.

He’s also absolutely ing exasperated on a near daily basis, watching from the Gryffindor section of the stands as his lovely little ball-of-terror of a boyfriend performs death defying maneuvers on the quidditch pitch, playing seeker for the slytherin house. He’s an agile, lithe little thing and it pays in his favor as he has become infamous for being one of the most promising seeker’s that Hogwarts has seen since Harry Potter himself. He’s ridiculously fearless and sharp sensed- and neither do anything for Seokjin’s weak heart as he’s witnessed one too many quidditch related injuries over the years. And just to add fuel to the fire Yoongi enjoys perching himself precariously in the highest places he can find, atoning it to his inner feline, and snickers when Seokjin is left to talk him down. Or rather bribe him down.

Seokjin’s familiar, a jet black cat with sharp golden eyes, has a hatred seeded so deeply for Yoongi that he honestly thinks that they may have been enemies in a previous life. Yoongi has quelled, or at least tried to quell, those beliefs with flippant remarks of friendly animal rivalry; “you know, alpha males and all that jazz.” or, “he just hates that I’m bigger than he is.” usually spoken with a ridiculously comical puffy chest and proud little lifted chin. Most times the two of them spit and growl and hackles are raised and before Seokjin has a chance to stop any stupid shenanigans from taking place, he’s got a clouded leopard and a black streak of fur darting around his prefect appointed dorm room. He might enjoy the little grumbly noises Yoongi makes after they settle down, proud that the little of a cat hadn’t managed to get a good swipe at him, but he doesn’t vocalize it in fear that his stubborn boyfriend will start to filter the noises he instinctively makes. Even in his human form there is still a silent glare aimed his way, golden feline eyes filled to the brim with what Seokjin swears is pure loathing.
There’s never a dull moment to say the least despite the fact that he should know after years of being together that Yoongi was a bit of a wildcard.

It isn’t often that Seokjin finds himself learning something new about Yoongi, as they had quite literally been as open with each other as they possibly could have been over the years that they have been together. Nonetheless he finds himself in that exact situation in their last year of Hogwarts students; Yoongi has this look on his face, completely flippant, as he sits in the Great Hall with dozens of eyes fixed on him. Some are horrified, a few shine with pity, and a select few seem oddly smug. There is a howler hovering right in front of his face, a man’s voice booming through the paper mouth with such authority that it makes Seokjin want to curl into himself from where he’d just entered the room. “-your scholarship. Not to fly around and chase after things like a right brute! You are to stop this nonsense immediately and I mean it, Min Yoongi. Last year was a warning, this is an order.”
It’s all he manages to catch before the howler promptly tears itself to shreds in one of the more violent ways he’d seen. Yoongi, still deceptively calm where he’s sat in front of his plate of roast chicken and potatoes that has more than likely gone cold, does nothing more than brush away the pile of paper with the side of his hand in a lazy manor in favor of placing a newly poured cup of pumpkin juice where it once had been.

Everyone, Seokjin included, is ignored for the entirety of dinner that night. But Yoongi can’t escape him, not when Seokjin has been granted the title of Head Boy (and in turn gets all the nice, wildly envied, benefits that come along with it). He may have been too much of a goody two shoes to take advantage during the school’s open hours but this is different, he thinks to himself with a firm nod, this is about Yoongi.
So after dinner he’s bypassing the painting that leads to Gryffindor’s common room and finds his way down to the Slytherin dungeons where he is no longer given odd looks or sneers- after all the rivalry still ran rampant between the two houses and it had taken plenty of getting used to when he had first started to spend time with Yoongi in their second year. The prefect, a sixth year who may or may not have been notorious for her crush on Yoongi, is terrible at hiding her emotions and practically screams through her expression that she does not condone Seokjin wandering around her dormitories after curfew- Head Boy or not. He ignores her, much as he had for the years she had made her dislike for him publicly known, and meanders his way straight into Yoongi’s dorm room without knocking on the door like he usually would have.

His boyfriend is nowhere to be seen, bed empty and room quiet other than the few boys scattered here and there that had been readying themselves for bed before he barged into the privacy of their room. Before he even has to open his mouth to inquire about the whereabouts of one Min Yoongi, a fifth year by the name of Jungkook is jabbing a thumb towards the foot of Yoongi’s bed with a roll of his eyes- and as if he could sense the action, an irritable whuff sounded from beneath the empty bed. Seokjin would have laughed if he weren’t genuinely worried for his boyfriend’s emotional state. Instead he finds himself laying flat on the wooden floor eye to eye with a clouded leopard who looks exceptionally angry at the world. It is undeniably terrifying.

Yoongi has his ears pressed flat against his skull, eyes narrow and sharp and all kinds of eery in the darkness created by the mattress overhead. He looks predatory in the way his chin is resting over his front paws but Seokjin knows better, knows that his boyfriend is anything but a predator in his current state. So he shimmies his way under the bed, awkwardly curling into a sleek, furred side where he can pretend that they aren’t in the presence of any other students.
He presses his face into Yoongi’s shoulder with a sigh, fingers thoughtlessly carding through the short fur where his ribs shift and move with his breathing.

It’s oddly calming, laying in the quiet darkness with Yoongi like that; he can feel the faint purr his boyfriend gives off under the palm of his hand, can hear him breathing slow and even. But calm never lasts long in a place like Hogwarts and before he knows it, Seokjin is being hauled out from under the bed by his ankles. He’s met with the exceedingly unamused glower of Slytherin’s notoriously annoying up-and-coming potential Head Boy (yet another person their prefect dislikes). “We are trying to sleep, you should head back to your own dormitories mister Kim.”

The kid is prim and proper in every sense but Seokjin thinks he needs to work on hiding his irritation a little better. He is looking down at Seokjin like he is nothing more than dirt under his shoe- or, well, slipper in this case, and it may or may not make Seokjin want to get up and scream in his smug little face. This does not happen often for him, he is well able to handle situations that tend to flare emotions but seeing someone like Yoongi look so dejected...it made his heart hurt, for his boyfriend, and that was a no go for mister stick-up-the-. Yoongi thinks so too if the angry hiss and snarl he gives is anything to go by, and the sheer amount of satisfaction he feels when the young man before him jolts in fear is almost overwhelming. He’s tempted to reach under the bed and pet Yoongi’s head with a coo of, “Good boy.”
Yoongi would probably bite his hand off.

He settles instead for sitting up, folding his arms over his chest and cocking an eyebrow. Before he can open his mouth to complain there is the telltale sound of Yoongi shifting, bones cracking into place, and then a severely angry, “You can sit on it and rotate you little er. Leave Seokjin alone before I actually attack you.” that is decidedly not very Yoongi-like at all. Sure he enjoyed intimidating but to be genuinely with someone was rare. He liked to be soft and sweet with those that he trusted with his life. He enjoyed the small things in life and prefered that he be left to enjoy them in peace which usually caused many younger Slytherin’s to be confused when they ‘magically’ received the quill set they needed a few days back, or ‘mysteriously’ found a new pair of quidditch gloves in their bag.

Jungkook in particular found himself the focus of this mysterious quidditch gear giving phantom and Yoongi, through pink cheeks and a scowl, would tell Seokjin that they had cost a damn fortune and he would never buy the little anything ever again. But the second he saw Jungkook light up like a christmas tree because of something he had newly found? Yeah Seokjin knew all too well that Yoongi would be spending a good portion of his allowance from home on a certain Slytherin Keeper. It was a part of his lover than Seokjin loved so completely that sometimes seeing Yoongi smile because of someone else’s happiness made his heart fill to the brim so much it hurt.

And while his younger prefect was a tad obnoxious at times he was still subject to Yoongi sliding him extra food at breakfast, still managed to curl up in a soft spot Yoongi had. The remark spoke volumes of his displeasure and in this case even possible hurt. It made Seokjin, and surprisingly enough the other Slytherin boys, divert their eyes worriedly to where Yoongi was shimmying his way out from under his bed very much in his human form.
He was wearing his flannel pajamas that were, well….Seokjin’s actually, and despite his small frame nearly drowning in the too large ensemble, fluffy hair sticking up in the cutest of bedhead ways, he looked downright terrifying. His eyes were so sharp they could cut glass and his jaw clenched so hard Seokjin was kind of worried for his teeth.

Which was stupid because when he opened his mouth to snarl those teeth were very much still sharp and deadly. He was in no mood to please others and Seokjin would have been freaked out that he had to physically hold his smaller boyfriend back when a comment about his apparent disrespect was made, but he knew all too well that behind Yoongi’s very apparent anger there was hurt. That was enough for him to wrap his growling lover up in his comforter and haul him out to the Slytherin common room.

“Hey, what the I was gonna give that little wad what he deserved-” You would think that after years of being subject to Yoongi’s foul language he would have given up on any and all attempts to quell it- yet Seokjin still finds himself tossing a careless, “Language babe, language.” his boyfriends way as he drags them both out and onto one of Slytherin’s common rooms’ couches. It gains a huffy little grumble and a mocking of his voice that never fails to make him snort in amusement. It sounds nothing like him.

Yoongi is a feisty little thing, something Seokjin appreciates ninety percent of the time, and he shows it by shifting and giving Seokjin a lapful of angry clouded leopard. “Hey- No don’t even think about-” He’s quick to dart off the couch and scramble around the corner back into the dorm rooms, he is most definitely cursing the way his claws slip and slide across the floor as his flank smacks off the doorway- There’s a screech followed by loud, raucous laughter and Seokjin wonders vaguely just how in the hell he had ended up with such a snarky animagus for a lover. There was never a dull moment with Min Yoongi around, that’s for sure.

Said animagus lover returns to him moments later with head held high and gait leisure. He looks far too proud of himself. “What did he do?” Yoongi gives him a dirty look at the exasperation apparent in his tone and gracefully leaps back into his spot on Seokjin’s lap, powerful jaw resting over his thigh with what could be described as an attempt at looking innocent. He knows Yoongi far too well however, and he can see the pride shining bright behind golden eyes.
“He bit me! He ing bit me that little-” A loud snarl from Yoongi quickly puts the complaint to a halt, although it does nothing for the other boys who seemed to have started laughing harder. “Correction; Yoongi bit him in the . I’m calling karma.” Jungkook is not helping the situation.

Just as he thought Yoongi looks up at him through sharp, gorgeously feline eyes and gives him an animalistic grin full of nothing but self pride. “Oh? You proud that you sunk your teeth into another persons behind? How’d it taste.” Eyes narrow into slits and ears flick back in irritation. For all intent and purpose Yoongi’s once prideful expression turns sour, shifting to give Seokjin a lapful of clouded leopard instead of cute little feline features. His tail twitches just so that it thwacks against the older boys face. “Oh come off it you big baby.”

A loud snuffle is his only answer, tail still intently smacking against his cheek and neck in a show of Yoongi’s supposed irritation with him; he can totally see that little curl of upper lip that speaks of just how much his boyfriend is trying to hold back a distinctly animalistic grin. He settles for slotting his fingers through winter thickened fur, scratching just how he knows Yoongi likes, and leans back in the couch to get comfortable. He hadn’t forgotten the reason he’d come down to the Slytherin Dungeons. While he did see a bit more of the usual spunk Yoongi tended to hold, he could still very much sense the cloud of darkness hanging over his head.

“So….about what happened during supper.” He expects Yoongi to react a tad aggressively, has seen the way his father tends to rile him up and knock him down all in one fell swoop. The man is someone who Seokjin has grown to respect, in a sense, but he has also been exposed to the mans less than gentle way of interacting with his youngest son. To his surprise Yoongi merely shrugs his large, powerful feline shoulders. Nothing more. It’s strangely unlike him to not have a tirade of choice words for his father and it serves to do nothing but further worry Seokjin.
“It was about quidditch again wasn’t it?” This earns a sharp, quick nod before a pause- and then Yoongi is curling into the comforter with very human appendages.

“Yeah, he said I need to focus more on transfiguration.” Yoongi’s tone of voice sets off alarm bells in Seokjin’s head, the way his shoulders slump and his eyes stay downturned to focus on where his fingers pick at loose threads. Next year will be their seventh and last year, most students having already slotted themselves into preferred career paths, yet Yoongi is stuck. He has a deep seeded passion for quidditch, so much so that he has been scouted on multiple occasions- yet his father the ‘voice of reason’ has denied his son any and all opportunities under the guise that he should do something “useful” with his life. He is either blind or heartless, not caring or not seeing how much it tears his son apart to be caught between his own needs and his fathers wants.

Seokjin has respect for the auror, the head of a family, the man who has built his reputation as a great animagus and wizard from the ground up. However, he has absolutely no respect for the man who pushes his beliefs and ways on his own children. And after six years of awareness to these happenings Seokjin is growing vastly tired of it. “Your father is a right .” He is getting angry the more he observes Yoongi hurting and confused and altogether miserable because of a letter from his father stating that his passion is nothing more than a brutes sport. Is tired of the way Yoongi disappears after a scolding to be alone and drown in his thoughts and feelings and quickly breaking dreams.

Seokjin was born and raised a muggle until he had gotten his letter from Hogwarts, never knew the social stigmas of the wizarding world or the pressures of being a pureblood anything. His heart aches and his chest tightens and the mere thought of his parents doing to him what Yoongi’s are doing to him….it makes his stomach drop like a stone. “He does nothing more than drop you and then kick you when you’re already down and I am sick of it.” For once Yoongi does not jump to defend his father’s actions, blaming it on his generation, on his bringing up, on his struggles in life. He simply looks up at Seokjin with defeat in his eyes.

His mind is made up in the second it takes for Yoongi to deflate altogether and he vaguely registers that it’s not his best idea ever yet he is already thinking up ways to put his feelings into words; he is going to give the man a taste of his own medicine.

Seokjin has to sneak into one of the empty classrooms during a weekend he knows most students will be heading to Hogsmeade, Yoongi included although it had been kind of hard to not give in and join their small group of friends. He’s sat at an empty desk with a piece of red enchanted stationary, quill in hand and shoulders set with determination. He has never sent a howler before, has received one once from his aunt after he had forgotten to tell her about his newly appointed position as Headboy. But it is entirely different when he is sending one to a grown, highly respected wizard. The thought of it almost makes him chicken out but he is quick to remember the way Yoongi had sniffled himself to sleep on the couch that night, small trails of tears he denied ever being present on his cheeks. It isn’t fair, he thinks, it just isn’t fair.
So he gets to work.

 

It is, once again, in the Great Hall that a howler is opened and a loud booming voice is heard. Yoongi is sat beside him with eyes so wide he would be afraid they’d pop out of his skull but he is a tad busy trying not to downright cackle. The paper is a rich, emerald green with golden embroidery along the edges. It carries the seal of The Ministry of Magic. Yoongi feels sick at the sight.
“Kim Seokjin, I must say you have some gal sending a howler to The Ministry of Magic.” He can see Yoongi’s jaw drop beside him, eyes still wide as saucers.
“However I do not appreciate the contents of said howler. My son is mine to raise and nurture in respect to what the future holds. Your...beliefs, are very far fetched young man and I think it inappropriate to state-” Seokjin nabs the floating letter before his face with quick hands and promptly tears it clean in half. He’s smiling so widely he swears he can feel his cheeks begin to ache but Yoongi is far less amused. He looks ashen, as if he is about ready to keel over and pass out. “You-...You sent my father a howler.” Hell yes he did, he boasts mentally.

“Yup. And you know what I said?” Yoongi does not look like he particularly wants the answer to that question. “I told him that your future is yours. It’s not him who has to sit behind a desk in a stuffy old office when all it does it eat away at your soul and happiness. He’s a right nutter that one, thinking he owns your life like this.” To his surprise he gets a few mumbles of agreement from other Slytherin students sat at their table, giving Yoongi a good mixture of both pitying and reassuring looks. Namjoon, a seventh year Ravenclaw who has been stuck to Jungkook like a leech as of late with far too much wisdom for his years, speaks up first. “He isn’t wrong you know...It’s your happiness on the line, not your fathers. He will learn to live with the fact that one of his sons did not want to follow his footsteps to a tee.” His eyes are kind and his smile adorably dimpled and something in Yoongi’s face seems to soften at that; he shrugs a little, but there is a small smile on his lips that hadn’t been there beforehand.

 

“Yeah, common Yoongi. There is no way that you would ever want to work as an auror when there is a broomstick with your name on it.” Jungkook is grinning in that way he does that makes his front teeth stand out a tad more than usual, resembles something close to a bunny, and Seokjin may or may not have to resist the urge to coo and pet at his head a little bit.
“Last week that scout was practically salivating when he saw you do those insane maneuvers- you could choose any team you wanted. That like...never happens. Not like this, and your dad deserves to have his eyes opened to the talents you have.” Jungkook is shy, blush high on his cheeks that he tries in vain to hide. Yoongi’s lower lip trembles though, just enough for Seokjin to pick up on it, but he’s quick to clear his throat and lift his eyes with the same small smile. Seokjin feels infinitely better, like the dark cloud hovering over his boyfriends head is finally dissipating.

Until, of course, Yoongi receives another howler from his father.
Then things go to hell real quick.
It doesn’t mention Seokjin or his previous statement to, in a subtle way, out of his son’s future plans. It doesn’t mention Seokjin at all, actually, but what it does mention is the decision to have an understudy set up for Yoongi the month he graduates Hogwarts. It’s under an old, haggard witch who is infamous for her catty attitude and impeccable sense of justice.
Yoongi sits in his empty dorm room with fists clenched so hard his knuckles turn white. Seokjin has seen him angry, has seen him upset, has seen him sad and crying. He has never seen him look so utterly done though and he’s grateful for the other Slytherin students to have been down in the Great Hall still enjoying their meal.

“I can’t do this anymore.” Seokjin knows. “I can’t keep letting him dictate my life.” Seokjin feels immense satisfaction when Yoongi looks at him not with misery or defeat but with steely determination. He looks feral and beautiful and strong. The most like himself that Seokjin has seen in nearly two years. “I’m done letting him do this to me.”
Seokjin can do nothing but kiss him carefully, smiling and showering him with praise- “You are so strong, baby. So strong. I’m so proud of you.” Until Yoongi gets up and puts his words on paper to be sent off with his owl. The parchment is littered with fat teardrops and Yoongi’s hand was shaking as he wrote but he gets it finished. He sets his owl off toward home and waits, awake and anxious, for a reply that doesn’t come. Seokjin vaguely wonders if a howler would have sparked a reaction instead of a letter.

That night, or rather early morning, Yoongi cries himself to sleep but swears it will be the last time. Seokjin believes him, strangely enough, and they spend the time sleeping curled up to each other in the quiet darkness of the largely shared dorm room. Nobody makes any remarks, there is no teasing or snarky comments; just the quiet of sleeping bodies breathing in and out. Some time before waking hours he has to give the Slytherin Prefect the stink eye when he opens his mouth to send the Gryffindor back to his own rightful part of the castle. He’s very, very quick to turn on his heel and leave the room with just one glance at a comfortably snoozing Yoongi however; the threat of another nice collection of feline teeth in his flesh proves to be enough for him to leave the two of them be.

Before they can so much as finish brushing teeth and combing hair, a letter is brought up from the Great Hall by none other than Jungkook with Namjoon hot on his heels, brows furrowed and lower lip caught between teeth anxiously. It has the Min family’s insignia stamped onto the back. Never has Yoongi looked so afraid to see it- but it doesn’t stop him from carefully opening and reading the letter.
By the end of it he has his eyes shut tight and the paper wrung tight in a fist. The room is quiet, all eyes on him with worry shining bright, but nobody can truly tell if he is upset. He stands beside his bed with the paper crunched in his fist and breathing deceptively even before he stomps his way into the common room with a trail of three other boys behind him and then promptly tosses the piece of paper into the fire before Seokjin has a chance to ask for a chance to read it.

He doesn’t cry or scream or show any sign of the letter having been emotionally damaging as he watches it burn. It’s a tad strange to Seokjin that his boyfriend had reacted in such a way when it had probably been sent in response to his letter; he distinctly remembers a statement that Yoongi had made about the man needing to either accept him for who he was as a person or get the hell out of his life- stated in a much more polite manner of course. He knows what talking in that way means for Yoongi and it irks him to imagine the same words from numerous other letters and howlers having been written in response. But he had seen Yoongi roll his eyes, get irritable and angry when he had to see or hear them- but he is doing none of it.
Instead Yoongi lets out a breath that sounds physically relieving and smiles. He turns to Seokjin with the same smile that doesn’t show gums or teeth but boy does it show happiness and acceptance.
“My mum wrote off the understudy. She’s sending me all of the letters the quidditch scouts have been sending home.”

Seokjin feels happiness rush through his veins as if it had been himself in that situation and then begins to feel his eyes sting with oncoming tears. The prospect of his lover living a life that made him genuinely happy….it was enough for him to-
“Oh and my dad has banned all mail under your name from entering his office at the ministry.”
Yoongi’s smile turns amusedly smug, eyes shining with mirth. “No more howlers for you.”
It takes a split second for Namjoon to make his presence known again with a loud, “Ha!” that has eyebrows raised and heads tilted. “What- he could….he could just have someone else send it for him.” He shrugs and stands awkward under the sudden attention, and Yoongi can’t help the loud noise of amusement that pours out of his mouth.

Leave it to a Ravenclaw to think of a way around a problem so damn quickly. Not that he would be letting his boyfriend send anything to his father. Ever again. One you was enough, really.
Or maybe just a few more strategically placed you’s would be enough.