3...

if it's not too late

“So, guess that rules out this JB guy as my dad.  I can’t believe he got with Sungjin…”  Yugyeom said as he crossed out his name on the piece of paper Yugyeom was now using to write down clues.

“I know.”  No matter how many times he recalled that moment, the fact that Jaebum slept with Sungjin would always leave him stunned.

“Let’s see... that leaves us with this Wang guy and Mark!  What happened to them?” Yugyeom was snuggled up in his bed already but Jinyoung knew it would be pointless to try to stop the story here.  Yugyeom would just whine until he continued.

“Mark dumped his boyfriend and decided to follow his dreams and travel the world.  We kept in touch via postcards and letters.  We ended up becoming pretty good friends.” 

“And the Wang guy?”

“Him?  I actually ran into him again two years later.”

1998

“That was our special news bulletin on JYP acting company!  Please buy your tickets now for their upcoming production starring the amazing Park Jinyoung!  From your local news that has been Jackson Wang!  Good night!”

“The amazing Park Jinyoung?”  It had been two years since Jinyoung had seen Jackson- in real life that is.  Jackson had become a local news celebrity in the past year; Jinyoung saw him on television all the time.

“As soon as I saw your name I had to take this assignment.”  Jackson was dressed suavely in a tight white button down and navy-blue pants.  His face had become sharper.  “Congratulations on your lead role.”

Jinyoung had only met Jackson briefly and he hadn’t developed much of an opinion on him.  He vaguely remembered him inviting him to a .  The thought brought a slight flush to Jinyoung’s cheeks.  “Thank you.”

They didn’t know what to say at this point- the obvious topic lingering in the air.  Jackson decided to speak first.

“I heard things didn’t work out with Jaebum.”  It used to hit him like a rock every time someone brought up his failed engagement but after two years it finally felt like Jinyoung had gotten over it.

“That’s old news, we were young and stupid.  It wouldn’t have worked out.”  Jinyoung also realized that he was being much too rash with his decisions.  Jaebum had been right all along.  “I’ve completely moved on.”

“I told you once and I’ll tell you again- someone as handsome as you will have no problem finding someone, especially here in New York.” 

Jinyoung remembers their first meeting a bit more clearly now.  “What about you?  Did things work out with your economics professor?”

Jackson laughed heartily at that.  “Well, I did pass economics with flying colors, but our physical relationship wasn’t exactly long term.”

It was weird to think about how different they were after only two years.  Fresh out of college Jinyoung still felt like a teenager but now he had his life put together- starring in his first major role after two years of hard work.  He could only go up from here. 

Jinyoung could feel Jackson staring at him- obviously not wanting to leave. The air felt thick with tension unlike Jinyoung had ever felt before. “Did you need anything else?  I was about to go home.”

“Actually, are you free tonight?  I know this may seem a bit forward but, I’d like to take you out to dinner- only if you’re free!”

Jinyoung’s first instinct was to say no since he needed to go over his lines and prepare himself for the premiere of his musical but there was something in him that wanted to take a chance.  It had been too long since he went out with anyone and who knows- maybe some loosening up before his big debut was exactly what he needed to relax.  Jackson was the perfect person to spend time with if he was looking for a good time.

“Actually, I think I am free tonight.”

“You’ve really wanted to be a star on Broadway forever?”  Jackson laughed as they exited the restaurant they were at; holding hands and walking aimlessly into the dimly lit streets.

“I came out of the womb singing.”  Jinyoung joked.

“You’re so much funnier after some wine, and here Jaebum told me you were uptight.” 

“He what?”

“Oh, I’m sure he didn’t mean it in a bad way.  He was dating you after all.”  Jackson backtracked.  “You really chased your dreams, didn’t you?”

“It’s weird to think I’m finally here.  What about you Jackson?  Did you always dream of becoming a news reporter?”

“I always knew I was going to be on tv, I’m made for stardom obviously,” Jackson giggled when Jinyoung thwacked him on the shoulder.  “Up until I was sixteen I wanted to become a rapper.”

“Really, a rapper?”  Jinyoung tried to hide his giggles but he couldn’t.

“What?  You think I wouldn’t be a good rapper?”

“What would be your stage name?  Lil Wang?”  Jinyoung couldn’t stop laughing now but Jackson was less than impressed.  “Alright, why don’t you rap a bit.  Let’s see how good you are.”

“You asked for it!”  Jackson proudly started rapping and Jinyoung listened carefully. 

Jinyoung bobbed his head to Jackson’s words; enjoying it as much as he possibly could.

“So, what did you think?”  Jackson said as he finished, ending his line with a long draw out skrrrt.

“Uh,” Jinyoung was desperately looking for a compliment but he couldn’t lie.  “I wouldn’t give up your day job.”

Jackson crossed his arms and pouted and Jinyoung instinctively went up to comfort him. 

“I’m sorry,” Jinyoung said, regretting his words.  “It wasn’t that bad.”  Honestly, Jinyoung thought he was joking about the whole rapping thing but he was taking this pretty hard.

“Park Jinyoung, I didn’t know you were such a savage.”

“I’m sorry please-“

“There’s only one way you can make it up to me now.”

“What would be that one way?”

Jackson pointed to his lips.  “Maybe a kiss would make me feel better.”

“What are you, five?” 

“It’s not like we haven’t kissed before.”

Jinyoung didn’t need to think too hard before he leaned in, pressing his lips to Jackson’s for the second time in his life.  This time he felt much more confident in enjoying what he was doing.  He pulled away after a moment.  “Was that good enough?”

Jackson didn’t let Jinyoung get too far away.  “Nope, not good enough yet.”

Jackson pulled Jinyoung back in for a deeper kiss.

He didn’t ever want to stop kissing him.

Jinyoung felt his heart getting caught up again.

Having Jackson by his side felt so natural in such a short amount of time.  One moment he was almost a stranger and the next he was front row every single time Jinyoung performed in his musical.  Jackson almost insisted to monitor him backstage and stay at the company whenever he could. 

Jackson so genuinely wanted to know Jinyoung and be there for him- Jinyoung was swept away so easily.  He didn’t want to stay away from Jackson for more than a day.  Jinyoung’s heart was truly in love; there was no denying it.  This wasn’t puppy love or superficial attraction.  He was mature, and he knew what he was doing.

“Did you want coffee, tea?”

“Do you have any wine?”  Jinyoung sat in Jackson’s home.  It was much cleaner than the apartment he was cramped in back when he was still in college.

“Oh?  Right to the good stuff!  A glass of wine, coming right up!”

Jinyoung spotted a familiar journal on top of one of Jackson’s shelves.  Jinyoung didn’t know anything about the relationship between Jaebum and Jackson other than the fact they were good friends in high school.  He was suddenly very curious as to why he wanted to give that journal to Jackson so badly.

Jinyoung looked back to the kitchen to make sure Jackson wasn’t walking back yet before he got up and pulled the journal off the shelf.  He opened it expecting something written but instead, a handful of photos fell out of it.  Jinyoung was flustered as he quickly went to pick them up. 

They were all in black in white, the first picture he picked up was a picture of a torso from the waist up.  Strange.  The next photo was the same torso from a different angle.  There were a couple pictures like that until the angle started getting lower and he could see that below that torso was a very bottom half-

“Don’t worry, I was an adult when those photos were taken.”  Jackson’s voice startled Jinyoung he dropped all the photos again.

.”  Jinyoung tried to pick up the photos again as Jackson laughed.

“You should’ve told me you liked those photos- I would’ve told you to keep them.”

“Are these…?”

“Jaebum took them for his senior photography project.  They’re pretty artsy, right?”

Jaebum took them?”

“What?  Do you have a problem with that?”

“You were and…”

“And… what?  Jaebum’s never seen you before?”  Jackson had him there.

“It’s not that, it’s just that he’s my ex and you guys have been together like that, and we haven’t even been together like that…”  Jinyoung knew he was rambling as he got more and more embarrassed.

Jackson handed Jinyoung his glass of wine, chuckling at Jinyoung’s disposition.  “We can fix that problem pretty easily.”

Jackson was giving him those smoldering eyes that make Jinyoung weak in the knees.  “I mean, we could.”

“So… should we?”

Jinyoung downed his entire glass of wine in one shot before pulling Jackson in for an intense kiss.

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

It had been almost eight months since Jinyoung had been dating Jackson.  Things had been going so smoothly in almost all aspects of his life that Jinyoung couldn’t believe it.  His play had been going on with shows throughout all the months and it was gaining more and more recognition that they were considering playing in more locations.  Jinyoung’s Broadway dreams were so close he could taste it.

Jackson was working on a special report for work so hadn’t been able to make Jinyoung’s shows recently but Jinyoung didn’t mind- he would see him at home where he had practically moved in with Jackson.

It was autumn heading into winter when Jinyoung received a knock on his practice room door.  He was in there alone packing up his things to leave after he had finished up for the day.   “Who is it?”  He shouted.

“This is the FBI!  Park Jinyoung, you’re under arrest!”

“What?”  Jinyoung ran over to the door and opened it as fast as he could.  “What are you…”  Jinyoung stared at the person standing in front of him and his heart rate went down considerably.  “Seriously?”

“Surprise!  You’re innocent today Park Jinyoung, but who knows what’ll happen in the future…”  Mark high pitched laughter was both irritating and endearing.  His endearing side won over as Jinyoung joined in laughing and pulled him in for a hug.

“I thought you weren’t supposed to be back until summer!”  Mark looked almost the same- the only major difference being that his bright red hair was now bleached blond.  Jinyoung grabbed his bag at went back to the door.  “Walk with me?”

Mark nodded.  “Traveling was pretty great, but I actually had a revelation while I was in Mexico.”

“Oh really?”  Jinyoung walked out of the company and straight into the jewelry store across the street.

“Why are we here?”  Mark asked.

“I just need to pick something up- continue with your story.”  Jinyoung urged.

“Okay… well anyway, while I was there I met this guy.  I’m pretty sure his name was Alexandro or Alejandro or something… I was kind of drunk at the time.” 

“Was he hot?”  Jinyoung teased.

“He was pretty damn hot, and he was looking at me like I was his next full course meal.”

“You?  You’re hardly an appetizer.”

Jinyoung.

Jinyoung laughed.  “I’m sorry, continue.”

“Anyway, we meet on the dance floor and we’re both tipsy and he’s grinding on me, he pulled me in for a kiss and we’re making out, but then I pushed him away.  I realized something.”

“Pickup for Jinyoung Park,”  Jinyoung said to the jeweler.  “What did you realize?”

“I didn’t want to sleep with Ale-whatever his name was.  It felt so wrong because my heart is still here in New York and… and… are those rings?”

Jinyoung picked up two small boxes that the jeweler had laid out for him.  “Uh, yeah, I’ve actually been meaning to tell you something.”

Mark’s eyes looked a little lost.  “You’re…”

“These are engagement rings.” 

“You… you.”  Mark grabbed Jinyoung by the arm and pulled him outside before speaking at him in a harsh tone.  “You’re getting engaged?!  You sent me so many letters and you didn’t even mention this to me once?”

“I told you I was dating-“

Dating doesn’t mean I’m in a committed relationship and am contemplating marriage!”  Jinyoung had never heard Mark’s voice go so loud.  He looked like he was ready to throw his bag at him.

“I’m sorry, honestly I don’t know why but I was really nervous to tell you.”  Jinyoung wasn’t upset at Mark’s reaction.  Jinyoung did keep him in the dark for no good reason.  “Mark, I love him so much.  I really want you to be happy for me.”

“I…”  Mark took a deep breath to calm himself.  “I am happy for you.”  Mark pulled him into a hug that seemed forced.  “I’m really happy for you Jinyoung, alright?  You’re such a good… friend.  If you’re happy, I’m happy.”

“Thank you, Mark, it really means a lot to have your support.  I’m sorry I had to spring all of this on you so suddenly.”

“Yeah, I actually have to go check into my hotel- I came here before even doing that.  That was stupid of me.  So, I’ll just… go.  Keep in touch, alright?” 

Mark disappeared so quickly Jinyoung could hardly say bye.

It was late in the evening when Jackson showed up to dinner in an upscale bar.  “You invited me out but you’re late?”

“Sorry, I had to wrap up some things at work.”  Jackson had seemed strangely distant over the past month.  Jinyoung hadn’t popped the question yet because something felt weird in their relationship and he didn’t know what it was.

“Oh yeah, that special news story you’ve been working on?”

“Yeah, it’s set to air tonight.”  Jackson sat down.  “That’s actually what I wanted to talk to you about.”

Jinyoung noticed there was a TV in the place set to Jackson’s news channel.  “We’ll get to see it then?”

“Yes, but before it shows we need to talk.”  Jinyoung didn’t like Jackson’s ominous tone.  “The story is kind of about you.”

“About me?!”

“Well, not about you, about that guy you work for, JYP.”

“What about him?”

“I’ve been doing a lot of research, at your company and on this guy and it turned out he’s behind one of the biggest money laundering scandals in the business.”

“Money laundering?  Why on earth would he be doing that?  We make plenty of money at the company.”

“You do now, thanks to the success if your play but he’s been in the business much longer than that,” Jackson forgoes ordering food.  “His plays have not been successful in the past and he has been doing this as a side hustle for years.”

“That’s why you’ve been at the company so often over these months?”  Jinyoung has a sinking feeling in his stomach.

“That’s not entirely why, but it has been helpful.”

“But Jackson… if that story airs the company will be finished.  It’ll be all over for all of us.”

“Nonsense, you’re not the culprit here-“

“Don’t you understand?  If JYP is outed as a fraud the entire company will get blamed even if we had nothing to do with it.  I’m the star actor of the company- people are going to see my name and know I’m from JYP and not hire me.”

“You’re making this such a big deal-“

“That’s because it is a big deal!”

“I’m a news reporter Jinyoung, it’s my job to report on the truth.”

“I’ll get blackballed by every agency in the country if this story airs- please Jackson.  There must be something you can do to stop this.  You care about me, right?  You wouldn’t want me to lose my job over this, right?”  The desperation in Jinyoung’s voice didn’t even phase Jackson.

“Jinyoung, I care about you, but a job is a job.  How would I look if I try to cancel the biggest scoop we’ve had all year?  What kind of reporter would I be?  How would I look?”

“So, you’re telling me you care more about your stupid job than me?”

Stupid job?  It’s not a stupid job.”

“This whole time, was this all you were after?”  Jinyoung blinked back angry tears.  He had been so wrong all this time.  He thought he got it right this time.

“Jinyoung, I’ve told you time and time again that I love you, my feelings are still the same.”

“If you loved me you wouldn’t be ruining every chance I have to achieve my dreams.”

The TV in the restaurant lit up with the evening news, automatically rolling to the breaking news story.  Jackson’s voice on the TV hurt him- each word he spoke piercing him like a knife.  Betrayal in its truest form.  “Jinyoung, please sit down.”

“No!”  Jinyoung didn’t care if he was screaming and everyone in the restaurant was staring at them.  “It’s always been about you and your job!  I’m sorry, but maybe you should go date that stupid job of yours because it’s obvious I mean nothing to you in comparison.”

“I don’t get why you’re so upset.”

“And that’s exactly what the problem is.”  Jinyoung felt like throwing a glass of water in his face or something- but he wasn’t that childish.  He was a grown adult who had made a terrible mistake and he would have to deal with the consequences himself.

Unfortunately, from here on out it seemed like things could only get worse.