1...

if it's not too late

Jinyoung doesn’t even flinch when his assistant dumps a huge stack of papers on his desk.  He had been expecting this.

“Are you okay?  The bags under your eyes look darker than usual.”  He appreciated her concern, but it was nothing she could help with.

Jinyoung worked at the local newspaper writing articles day after day.  They were short on staff and he had to pick up the slack.

“Don’t worry about me.”  Jinyoung shooed her away, finishing typing out his sentence before picking up the stack of papers, Petition for Dissolution of Marriage written in bold letters on the top.

Jinyoung had never imagined he’d be getting divorced after ten years of marriage, but he wasn’t as upset as he thought he would be.  He and his husband had come to the decision in peace- neither of them felt passionate about the marriage anymore.  It was the only logical step.

Jinyoung had always hated being single, but he couldn’t stay in a marriage with no feelings attached to it anymore.

Today was a Tuesday, meaning that no matter how much work was piling up he always clocked out at exactly three in the afternoon. 

He had a date with the most important person in his life.


Jinyoung walked into his son’s school expecting the usual- but he was greeted with fleets of angry parents instead.

“What-“Jinyoung tried to ask; as everyone is yelling. “What’s going on?!”  He walks into the chaos, children crying and parents demanding to speak to the principal.

“It’s awful!”  A mom says, her child cradled against her side.  “They started teaching -ed today?  How dare they?!”  She yells.

“Oh,” Jinyoung had been expecting someone had gotten stabbed or something.  “Aren’t they a bit… young?”

“Mom!  Dad stuck his in you!  That’s how you made me!”  The girl yelled at her mom.

“No!  Don’t say any more!”  The mom covered the girl’s mouth. 

Jinyoung thought this was funny until he realized something very dangerous. 

Jinyoung started speed walking through the halls, frantically looking for his son amongst all the distressed parents.  “Yugyeom!”  He called out.  “Yugyeom!  Where are you?”

He found him eventually, walking towards him, looking much calmer than the rest of the students.  “Dad,” Yugyeom stops in front of him, thinking to himself for a moment more before speaking.  “To make a baby you put the in the but… you have a , and daddy also has a … so how did you guys make me?”

Oh, dear god.


“I don’t get it!  Sara said she was an accident, but how do you put your into a on accident?

“Yugyeom, I told you to stop talking about this.”  Jinyoung practically pulled Yugyeom through the lobby of his apartment to the elevator.

“I’m not going to stop talking about it until you explain how you and daddy had me!”

“I told you, I’ll tell you when you’re older.”

“I’m ten years old!  That’s pretty old!”

“Drop it Yugyeom-“

“!  !  !”  Jinyoung slapped a hand over Yugyeom’s mouth but it was too late, everyone in the lobby was staring at them.

“Yugyeom, you promise to shut up right now and I’ll tell you everything when we get upstairs.”

Yugyeom didn’t say another word until they were in Jinyoung’s apartment.


“Chicken or beef for dinner?”

“You promised to tell me.”

Jinyoung sighed, might as well get this over with.  Just like ripping off a band-aid.  “Yugyeom,” Jinyoung sat down at the dinner table across from him.  “You’re adopted.”

Yugyeom stared at him blankly.

“I know this might come as a shock but just know me and daddy just wanted to wait until you were ready, and if you have any questions-“

“Don’t worry, I know I’m adopted.”

“Oh, that’s- wait, what?!”

“Daddy told me that a long time ago, it’s also kind of obvious.”

“You were- but- you were confused before and I…”

“I was just messing with you.”  Yugyeom gave him a cheeky smile and Jinyoung wondered exactly why he loved him in the first place.

“You brat… why I…”  Yugyeom just laughed at Jinyoung’s anger.  He knew Jinyoung couldn’t do anything- he was all talk no action.  ing smartass.

“Also!  I’d like chicken, please and thank you.”

Jinyoung sighed, there was no winning when it came to Yugyeom.  “Yes, young master, would you like a backrub while I’m at it?”

That got Yugyeom to laugh and Jinyoung couldn’t stay angry at him, walking back to the kitchen to start on dinner.

Every since Jinyoung had separated from his husband Jinyoung only got to see Yugyeom on Tuesdays and Sundays, so he had to cherish every moment he had with him.  Yugyeom was all he had left.

“Dad, was daddy the only guy you dated?”

Jinyoung almost snorted.  “Not at all.”

“So, you dated around a lot?”  Jinyoung didn’t like the way Yugyeom said that or the fact he knew that term at all.

“No,” If Jinyoung didn’t count any weird hookups, he hadn’t dated many people at all.  “I’ve only been in three major relationships.”

“And one of those was daddy?”

“Of course.”

“Hmm,” Yugyeom started thinking again.  “Why did you fall in love with daddy?”

Jinyoung thought back to the first time he met him, and all the good times they shared.  “Well, I fell in love with him because he was handsome, smart, fun…”  

“Since you’re getting a divorce, does that mean that now daddy is ugly, stupid, and boring?” 

“No!  Not at all.”

“Then I don’t understand…”

Jinyoung always had a hard time with this.  “Yugyeom, sometimes feelings change.  People are always changing, what we loved in the past can differ from what we love now.”

“What about the other guys you dated?  Were you in love with them?”

“Huh?”

“You said you were in three relationships before you got married, what were those like?”

Jinyoung turned the burner on the stove off and poured his finished stir-fry into two plates.  “You want me to tell you about my relationships?”

“I want to know how you met daddy.”  Yugyeom admitted.

Jinyoung didn’t know if he should be telling him everything- but if he left out some details it wouldn’t be so bad.  “How about this, I’ll tell you about my past relationships, but I’ll use fake names and you have to guess which one is daddy.”

“Oh!  Kind of like a love story mystery?”  Yugyeom perked up in his chair.

“Yes!”  Jinyoung got kind of excited about this as well.  “My first relationship was in college, I met him on the first day of my first year- and I fell for him immediately.”

“That’s not really that interesting.”  Yugyeom complained, his mouth half full of food.

“Okay, I guess he just asked me out and we started dating, it wasn’t all that interesting.  We dated for all four years of college.  I had already planned out our entire lives together but after we graduated we both had different dreams and things got a bit sticky…

“Oh?”  That caught Yugyeom’s interest.

Jinyoung smiled.

“Let’s call him… JB.”