Red Gaze

In Color

The drive back was strange, it was quite. Neither of the boys talked to one another, and the moment Jinyoung drove up to the house, Mark left without a single word. What happened less than an hour ago had Jinyoung scattered in his thoughts, his mind replaying the events over and over, like a broken record. 

 

10:32, Southside Greece

 Jinyoung's grip on Mark's waist was tight, their tongues collided every few seconds. Mark's arms was gripping the other's neck, savoring every taste of the other's mouth. It wasn't long before Jinyoung had Mark's back against a tree. Neither one wanted to break the intense moment, but oxygen has a way of pushing things away. Mark's face was red, a bright red that couldn't be contained, he couldn't look at Jinyoung. He wouldn't. Jinyoung took a deep breath, "Mark..." Before he could even speak another word, Mark had wiggled his way out of his grasp. This wasn't the slightest bit of normal, Jinyoung too was embarrassed, he felt strange that a guy could move his heart, that a simple kiss that he shared a dozen times with Elizabeth meant so much more with Mark. He didn't know what to say, what he could do, his heart wouldn't stop racing. Jinyoung sighed, he was reluctant to face reality, what he just done was a catalyst to something more that he didn't want to let go. 

 

Mark was a little indifferent to the situation. It couldn't be happening, not again. Jinyoung is straight, he's straight right? Elizabeth is his girlfriend, but they just kissed, they kissed, no they practically made out. He was already seated in the car, playing with his fingers as Jinyoung opened the door. The other said nothing, and neither did he. What could he say? That he liked the kiss, well he did, he liked a lot, but Jinyoung had Elizabeth. There was nothing he could do to change the fact, but he felt something with Jinyoung that he thought he'd never feel again, and it was worse if it had to be under the same circumstances, he couldn't bare with that. He didn't want to. 

 

Jinyoung parked the car in front of the house, and Mark left. He knew that saying nothing was wrong, but how could he face Jinyoung in a situation that had just occurred. It would be worse if they tried to talk about it. It always was, straight guys and gays who share a kiss...it's only a slip-up, a surge of hormones that couldn't be contained, it always ends the same, a one-sided game. Mark didn't want to relive that experience, never. 

 

———————————————

 

Jinyoung walked around the garden, pacing back and fourth waiting for Jaebum to pick up the phone. They hadn't talked since he told him that he got with Elizabeth. 

"What's up?"

"Jaebum, I ed up."

"You got Elizabeth pregnant didn't you!"

"What? No, hell no!"

"Then how did you up? You got laid right?"

"Jaebum! Seriously, I need your advice...and I trust you so don't judge me..."

"Woah, you seem desperate, are you okay?"

"Jaebum...I-I think I'm gay...no, no not gay, biual maybe. I...a few hours ago, I kissed a guy and I...um, I liked it?" He didn't hear anything from Jaebum for a little over five minutes, he didn't know if he hung up or if he just didn't have a word to say, Jaebum was the straightest of the straight, but he didn't seem like the type to judge. 

"Jinyoung, tell me how you felt when you kissed him."

"I—how I felt? I-I felt like my heart was going to explode, and I liked every bit of the kiss, I liked holding him..." He didn't understand why he was crying. Should he be crying over something like this? Most would say it was just one slip-up, you're and the first person you see, you just want to them, but Jinyoung felt different with Mark. Everything was just different. 

"Jinyoung, it's okay to like guys. If you really like him, then it's better to let Elizabeth go and figure out the feelings you have for him, did he kiss you back?" 

"Yeah, but he ran away afterwords, and he didn't say anything." Jinyoung wiped his tears with his jacket sleeve. 

"Go talk to him, okay Jinyoung, you have to talk about what happened. Hey, I gotta go, but call me when you need some counseling, I got your back." Jinyoung nodded and hung up. 

 

Jaebum was really the best type of friend, his looks show him to be mean and a delinquent, but he was everything but those. He was understanding, and genuinely liked helping people through tough situations. Jinyoung was thankful for that, because he needed the encouragement for what came next. Facing reality.

 

He stared at the door for a long while. Was Mark inside? Did he want to see him after what happened? Would he even want to talk about it? Even though they kissed, he still has a girlfriend, a girlfriend that he thought he liked. He doesn't want to hurt her because of his feelings. He didn't want too. He took a deep breath, reaching for the door. 

 

———————————————

 

Mark laid in his bed, he was hiding under the covers to embarrassed to even look at the wall. He knew Jinyoung would come in soon, and honestly he didn't want to face him, he didn't want to hear the words, "I have a girlfriend, and what happened before doesn't mean anything.", because for Mark his whole entire body melted in his grasp. If he had to endure such longing then it'll be better not to speak to each other at all. The door opened, a winding sound coming from the hinges on the door. Mark could hear the footsteps, every step getting louder. He knew whoever came in was coming towards him. He prayed it wasn't Jinyoung, he hoped it, but...

 

Jinyoung sat on the edge of his bed. "Mark, can we talk?" Jinyoung wanted to attempt to do as Jaebum instructed, he was scared of what might happen afterwords, but he was already in a situation he couldn't back out of. It was out of the line to kiss him, he knew that. Jinyoung sighed when Mark showed no sign of getting up. "I'm sorry...Mark. I didn't mean to...I, just...I think I like you." 

 

Mark sat up, uncovering his face. Those words were something he wasn’t expecting, he was happy, but his lips seemed glued shut. Jinyoung stared at him, he wasn’t expecting Mark to answer, and in some way he felt more relieved that at least he got to speak before everything fell apart. 

 

“Jinyoung, I...I don’t think we should...” It wasn’t long before Mark began to cry, this feeling of helplessness, even if Jinyoung spoke of his feelings it’s just a temporary thing. That’s how it always ends. “Mark...” He climb his bed, reaching his hand up to wipe his tears. “Tell me to stop, and I’ll stop, we can act as if nothing happened, and I can go back to Elizabeth, but if you don’t then...” Jinyoung cupped his cheeks, “Then, I’ll stay.”

 

He kissed him once again, this time with confidence that his heart beats for him. If only they knew earlier, summer would be coming to a close as soon as it began. 

 

Elizabeth stood next to the close door, she held her hands, turning away. What happens next, as the summer heat turns cold?