Purple Waves

In Color

Elizabeth’s motives were clear, and only Jinyoung was blinded. She wanted Mark and that was for sure, and after seeing what happened in class, she wasn’t going to slip up the opportunity of pushing Jinyoung away from him. Her plan was simple; go out with Jinyoung like he wanted. Then, when the time was right, get with Mark before the summer ends. It should have been that simple, but life is never easy, especially for the plans that are done for the wrong reasons. 

 

—————————————————

 

She leaned in, closer than Jinyoung could ever imagine, he was starting to believe his mind was playing tricks on him, her lips were pressed to his before he could gave an answer! It was, in fact, his first, real, kiss, and he felt strange. But it was a strangeness he wasn’t familiar with, so he thought it was pure love. This was the happiest news of the summer, and who else would spread the news other than Jackson. 

 

“Move out the way! Superior power couple walking down the hallway! This is Jinyoung’s first girlfriend!” Jinyoung kicked his friend in the ready to beat him into a pulp. It was morning already, and it felt like last night was a dream. It was something Jinyoung wanted since he was ten years old, but he thought it’d be different, that something would spark between the two the first time they kissed. 

 

———————————————————

Classes had begun, and yes Mark was his partner, again. He could see Elizabeth look back towards their table, and he just smiled. He wanted to brag in front of Mark how he got the girl of his dreams and his looks was no match to their budding romance, he was waiting for him to acknowledge the relationship. He had his arms folded with a wide smile. He kept eyeing Mark, his irises peering from the corners of his eyes, but the acknowledgement never came. Actually, Mark didn’t speak during the whole lesson, and when class was over, he was the first one out the door. Jinyoung wanted to follow the other, but he has a girlfriend, so indulging in matters other then her’s seemed wrong? He could only assume that since he never had a girlfriend before. So, he decided to spend the rest of the day with her, but his mind was on Mark. 

 

Even in their room, Mark wouldn’t make a sound, if he came in late, he’d closed the door ever so slowly so it wouldn’t wake anyone up, and most of the time he just slept or went out somewhere. It was strange, the more time he spent with Elizabeth, the more his thoughts would wonder to Mark. 

 

It was already the weekend, and he was determined to figure out why things were like this, well after his talk with his parents. 

 

“You’re using condoms right?”

“You hadn’t popped the cherry? Like it’s still intact?”

“How long have you two been together, god I’d never imagine my son to have grown up so soon!”

“Are you watching son?” His mother whacked the living out of his father’s brain. And Jinyoung just laid lazily in a recliner chair. “Guys, I’m seventeen...I can handle these things on my own.” He sighed, he hadn’t even thought of because he was too busy thinking about Mark. It’s almost been a full two weeks since him and Elizabeth got together, and the most they’ve done was kiss, walk around the city, and talk about books. Actually, he had a date with her tonight. Jinyoung liked Elizabeth, but he could tell the relationship wasn’t as exciting, she wasn’t interesting, but rather just a pretty face, but Mark was a pretty face with a mysterious aura to him, and he couldn’t help but think of how interesting it would be to uncover what’s underneath. He groaned at the thought of seeing Elizabeth. He got up, ignoring the conversation he was supposedly having with his parents. The moment he was about to leave, Mark came face to face with the other. 

 

“Oh my Mark, it’s nice of you to come by!” Jinyoung stood staring down at his very existence. He felt his heart speed up just a little, the other’s chest exposed under the loose fabric drenched in sweat. If iness was a word, he’d be it. 

“Jinyoung!” His mother called out making him turn 180 degrees. 

“I know this is on short notice, but I need you to show Mark already tomorrow, I know you already have plans tonight with Elizabeth so...”

Jinyoung nodded, he could feel the warmth of his back leaning into the sweaty chest, and for a split moment he thought he was in heaven. 

 

But then it was gone. Mark was walking, making his way to the garden outside. 

“Mark, wait up!”

 

————————————————

Mark sighed, his sweaty hair sticking to his forehead. He saw the handsome fellow run up to him.

“I, um...I’m sorry?” Mark found it cute that Jinyoung was attempting to start a conversation a failed miserably at it, he earned a small chuckle. 

“If you mean for your scary glares then apology accepted.”

“Hehe, I was hoping we could become friends? I mean you’re no longer my nemesis anymore so...” Jinyoung blushed a million times over from realizing he just said that. Mark laughed, it was child like and cute. 

“I was your nemesis?” He saw the other scratch his head, this wasn’t his area of expertise, Mark could tell.

“Congratulations though, on getting the girlfriend you wanted.” Mark looked down as they walked to the opening of the kitchen door that lead to the garden.

“Right. Yeah, thanks, um...is there a reason you need to be aware of the town?” 

“My parents might become investors for the company, your company...” Jinyoung nodded, he knew the drill for kids whose parents become donors or investors, that’s how he became friends with Yuygeom. He was really hopeful that he could be friends with Mark.

 

“Jinyoung!” Elizabeth wrapped her arms around his forearm. “Oh, it’s Mr. American!” Mark chuckled at her nickname, “Hello again.” Jinyoung’s eyes raised, “You two close?” Elizabeth squeezed her hands, “Not really, I just took him to the bookstore since he was looking for a good read.” She smiled widely at Mark. Jinyoung noticed the behavior, but decided to let it go, “So, tomorrow?” Mark nodded, “Seeing as you both look good, you should hurry along with your date.” Jinyoung chuckled, the crinkles in his eyes showing. He left with Elizabeth.

 

———————————————

Mark watched the two leave. His smile faded as he made his way outside, the waves seemed extraordinary tonight. Sometimes he didn’t know if he was dreaming or not. For some reason he wasn’t too happy about Jinyoung and Elizabeth, he hasn’t been here long nor does he even know Jinyoung, but he just didn’t like the fact that they were together. Jinyoung was simple and very opened minded, he didn’t seem like the type to ask too many questions, and even with his scary glares he seemed like a warm person. Mark didn’t mind befriended someone like that, but he has Elizabeth. He didn’t know when the irritation started, but it seemed better that if he didn’t halve to see Jinyoung, then he wouldn’t have this burden on his heart. He sighed as the breezed blew, chilling his heated body. The waves were rolling, just as they did the first time Jinyoung found Mark incredibly beautiful.