004 Hospitalized

We're not broken (just bent)

 

A week after the family meetings, Baekhyun never met with Chanyeol at all. His friends, yes, but not him. He thought that something might happened to the taller but decided to just ignore it and keep on leading the life normally. But maybe, he is too good at avoiding the taller.

Since he changed his hair color, he had been wearing a beanie everyday. In attempt to hide his hair. Moreover, since he left the Happiness Delight last Saturday night with his parents, paparazzi were everywhere to snaps picture of the Byun's son which was a mystery once but not anymore. His face had been the cover of the newspapers. Even though it was blurry, dim light and many more flaws on the picture, it still a news to share. 

Fortunately, other than the picture, there were still no one knows his real name. He is safe for now, from the media but not from his friends. Safe for the last Monday where Luhan, Minseok and Kyungsoo kind of forcing him to reveal the truth because they wanted the whole college to fear Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun. However, Baekhyun refused to do just that because his reasons, 'I'm not ready'. 

The students in college still treat them like they're useless piece of sh-... nerds but it's okay, they're stronger together. 

Back to Chanyeol, Baekhyun tried to make himself not caring about it at all but worry will always made its way in his mind. What happened to Chanyeol? How is he? Did he do well? The last event that take over the family meetings where tears evident on the taller's face makes him feeling unsettled. 

It's the next Monday, where everyone feel like the world are against them, they needed to get up and ready for the ungodly hours in college. Baekhyun is no exceptions. He groans on his bed and rolling for a bit while letting his alarm goes off, annoyingly. He sits up as he reached for his phone and turn it off. Stretching, letting his tense muscles to loosen up and get ready for the day. 

As soon as he sits at the dining table, he greets his parents and starts his breakfast. After a while, his mother speaks up. "Gyunmi just called me this morning."

"Hmm? Who?" He looks up to Mrs. Byun with clueless face. Blinking repeatedly before he shoves the piece of pencakes into his mouth.

"Mrs. Park." Baekhyun choked on his breakfast as he flailing his hands around for waters. Mr. Byun helped him while patting on his back. As Baekhyun could feel his breath even, he looks up again to Mrs. Byun.

"Wh-why?" He sees the way his mother bit her lower lip and glancing to her husband before looking straight into Baekhyun's eyes.

"Chanyeol had been hospitalized. It's been a week." Mrs. Byun witness the sudden glint of shock in her son's eyes before it disappeared. She continues anyway. "He had been drunk and involved in a street fight with random people. He had been miserable since." 

Baekhyun bit his tongue inside his mouth. Having no words to reply his mother. Eyes dart to his plate where pancakes lying on. "Will you go? Visit him, I meant." Mr. Byun asked while eyeing his son for a minute. He witnessed Baekhyun gulps before taking in deep breath.

"Maybe." Baekhyun whispered before continues his breakfast while his mind rushing around wildly in his head. "But I don't promise." Eyes gazing down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I haven't seen Chanyeol for about, what, a week now?" Minseok asked, curious. 

They are currently at the school garden, having a lunch together as always. It is like their new routine now. Meeting up as soon as the classes ended for lunch and having times together. "Why do you care about that betrayer?" Luhan sass.

Kyungsoo being himself as he eyes his friends. "No... It's just... After I've bumped with them on Friday, two weeks ago, I haven't seen him. More, his friends seems depressed last week. Does it have something to do with Chanyeol?" Minseok sighed.

"What? You've bumped with them? Where?" Luhan blinked. "It's rare for us to meet them outside of this college."

"They're at my new part-time workplace. The Unique Cafe. I was going to enter the place, they're on their way out. At first, I was afraid that they will bully me as I was alone but they decided to show me this... uh... what should I say... guilty? Sad face? I don't know... They avoided me afterwards. Since then, I haven't seen Chanyeol." Baekhyun being in silence for the whole time. He's just speechless for all these conversations. He wanted to say that he knew about Chanyeol's whereabouts but they will demand the explanation on how did he knows. Moreover, they still did not know the arranged marriage plan.

"Whatever though... I'm still pissed about their games. I can't accept any of them. They're being cruel, it's ridiculous. It was not even funny on how they took our hearts and played it easily." Luhan huffed out his frustrated sigh. He crossed his arms in front of his chest. 

They're being in silence for a moment before Kyungsoo drops a bomb. "Jongin apologized to me last Wednesday." 

"What?!" Luhan, Minseok and Baekhyun shriek and their eyes dart to Kyungsoo in record time. 

"Are you even serious?" Luhan winces.

"He always serious, Lu." Minseok says timidly.

"Shhht!" The former shushes Minseok before looking at Kyungsoo weirdly. "What did that prick wanted?!" 

"I... He just pulled me to an empty class and apologized. I don't even prepared for anything that comes. He then said that he's just guilty and Chanyeol is now in hospital. He is afraid that Chanyeol will not even wake up because of the guilt." 

Luhan furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"He said that Chanyeol had been over-drunk and picked a fight with street gangsters last Monday night. He had been out in the hospital for awhile now, bruised here and there. He asked if we could visit him... for... forgiving him." Kyungsoo bit his lower lip. He knows that Luhan will refuse to do so, that is why he didn't tell them as soon as he knows. He told them now because Minseok had been curious and Baekhyun being weird also he cannot carry this news anymore longer. He felt bad for keeping it as a secret.

Minseok frowns. "I think, we need to vi-..."

"No. I don't want to." Luhan shakes his head lightly. "You guys go if you want to but leave me out. I will not step five meters radius near around that group of pricks." He rolled his eyes. This heard headed guy, Baekhyun thinks. "And you, Baekhyun." The said man flinchs. "Are you going to tell me that you're forgiving him just like that? After all he had done to you?" Luhan asks while arching one of his brows. 

"I... I don't know. I think that we need to. You know, for his sake of waking up I meant. After that we can leave them." Baekhyun hesitates. "Can't we?"

"I think so too, Lu. We'll just say that they're forgiven so that Chanyeol can decide to wake up. Whatever happen after, just let it be. Even though I don't like their kind of game, I don't want them to suffer more. They didn't harm us, right? They were just putting an act and we fell for it but now, he is unconcious. Who knows, maybe he contemplates if he want to live or not." Minseok plead. 

Luhan grunts. "You guys are the most softhearted people I've met but still a no. You guys go ahead. I don't want to follow."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Why?!!" Luhan shrieks. 

Actually, Luhan is being dragged by the three of his friends to the hospital where Chanyeol had been admitted to after their classes ended. Luhan has struggling so much that he gave up as soon as they stepped in front of the counter, he can not fight the three metal-like grip on his arms. Huffing out his annoyed sigh, he crossed his arms in front of his chest, sign of protesting. Minseok chuckles lightly before asking for Park Chanyeol's ward room.

"May I know who are you all to him? We need to protect our patients privacy and peace." The nurse behind the counter eyed Luhan weirdly. 

"We're friends from college." Baekhyun answers instead.

"I am not." Luhan slips out, though in whisper making Kyungsoo to pinch his side and he whimpers.

"Oh. I need the confirmation from the patients friends-..."

"It's okay. They're good people. I'll take it from here." Sehun, who just enters through the hospital glass door, says. 

The nurse smiles. "Okay, Mr. Sehun. You all are good to go." She is then continuing her own work. 

"Thanks for coming." Sehun whispers. 

"For your information, I am here not because of my consent. I was dragged here. I could care less about you and your group but my angel friends decided to be nice to you, devils." Luhan rolls his eyes. He could hear Sehun sighing. He huffed hard. 

"I'll lead the way." Sehun moves first. He does not want to argue with them he knows that he's wrong and receives such the words, he deserves it. 

The four of them follow behind about a meter apart, reluctantly. Especially Baekhyun. He is restless all the way to the said ward room. He does not know what to expect and what to say once he meet the giant. 

As they're entering the ward room, there is the patient, lying unconsciously on the hospital bed while another two of his friends are sitting on the couch provided. Their heads shoot up to the door and gasp at the four's precenses.

Baekhyun bites his lower lip at the sight of bruised and unconscious Chanyeol. With all the tubes and machines surround him. Clearly, by the expression of Sehun, Jongin and Jongdae, Chanyeol obviously had not woken up since the incident. And also, the three have not know about the arranged marriage too. He pushes up a bit the glasses on his nose as it slides down. By then, he just realized that he had been sweating a lot even though the hospital is full with air conditioner. 

"I forgive you guys half-heartedly. Now I am done. I'll go first." Luhan turns around as soon as he blurts out the words without even greetings. He steps out of the room immediately but soon followed by Sehun who sighs in frustration. Baekhyun bits his lower lip as he eyed the remaining two of Chanyeol's friends. 

"You guys came... I thought..." Baekhyun saw that Jongin eyeing Kyungsoo from his spot with pursed lips. 

"I'm sorry. I just told them over lunch today." Kyungsoo says, nonchalantly, while shrugging. Seems like he does not care more than he was just now. 

"Well... We're here now. So..." Minseok whispers while gazes around curiously before his eyes fell on Chanyeol's figure. 

"Can you forgive us? I meant, it's our fault. Chanyeol just complied because of the prize. He got carried away with his dream car." Jongdae shows his apologetic expression. 

Minseok takes a deep breath before he bravely looks straight into Jongdae's eyes. "You guys are forgiven. Don't worry anymore. So please, leave us alone after this. We don't want to be trapped in your games anymore." Jongdae gulped hard before smiling slightly. 

"Thank you for coming." 

Jongin and Kyungsoo are just having a staring contest that then Jongin is the first one to look away. "We will go. We wish Chanyeol the best." Minseok went out first and followed closely by Kyungsoo. Leaving Baekhyun inside for a moment as the latter is gazing softly for the unconscious patient. 

Jongin and Jongdae eyed the remaining person. "Chanyeol really fell for you. He loves you wholeheartedly." 

Baekhyun's eyes became unreadable as he heard them. He looks up to Jongdae, eyes showing cold emotion. "Was he? I don't know. Should I believe you?" His voice full of venom while arching one of his eyebrows before he turns around and goes out. 

"I just felt a chill just now." Jongin whispers. "Was that the same guy that Chanyeol had dated?"

"I don't even know myself, Jongin."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Have you visited Chanyeol? How was he?" Mrs. Byun asks her only son while they're eating dinner together. 

Baekhyun nodded a bit. "Yeah... He's still not awake though..." 

"Aww... Poor boy. Gyunmi said to me that Chanyeol had locked himself up in his room since the meeting and only went out to drink that night."

Baekhyun did not saying anything. He just cannot grasp everything at the moment. Wasn't Chanyeol that dump him? Wasn't Chanyeol who did not want anything to do with Baekhyun? Why does the taller act like he is the one going through heartbreak? 

"Baekhyun?" Mrs. Byun calls and immediately distract the younger out of his mind. "You spaced out." She states.

"Uh yeah... Hmm..." 

"I was asking you. Will you visit him again?"

"Uhh..." Baekhyun contemplates. He looks up to his parents. "Maybe. But not sure."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun knocks the door before going in as 'come in' could be heard from the inside. "Baekhyun-goon." Mrs. Park stands up from her seat beside the occupied hospital bed. She tried to smile warmly but it came out as awkward instead. 

Baekhyun approaches the elder before giving her a tiny smile. "Mrs. Park, my mom made this for you. Take a rest. I'll take over for tonight." He hands out the packed dinner for Mrs. Park. It's not an excuse to come, it's true that his mother had him to do a favour for her. For him, he wanted to avoid coming again but no. He had no choice after he witnessed his mother's pout.

"Oh my... Thanks." They're both being in silence for awhile and just gazing at the unconscious man but then Mrs. Park opens . "I knew about your problem with my son, Baekhyun-goon. Your mother had told me. I am sorry on my son's behalf. He's bad. I can't believe he did those."

"It's okay, Mrs. Park. I think it's all over now. I'm just doing my mother's favour. She wanted me to accompany your son for a night. I hope you will get more rest."

"Is there no chance at all for my son?" Mrs. Park hesitates. Worry etches on her face. 

Baekhyun pursed his lips. "... I'm sorry." He whispers then looks down. Mrs. Park lets out a small sigh.

"Okay then. Thank you for your time, Baekhyun-goon. If anything's happen, please call me or your mother, okay?" Baekhyun nods as Mrs. Park makes her way out the door. 

He walks around the bed and sits on the chair Mrs. Park had sat. He props his arms on the bed and rest his head on it. Facing the sleeping person. Chanyeol looked so peaceful despite the bruises on his face. They seems to be fade in color but it's still evidence on his precious face.

Yeah. He may be told Mrs. Park that he had closed his heart for Chanyeol but it is not the truth. He is still yearning for Chanyeol's presence in his life. He still wanted the taller to be there, by his side on their dates. All of the memories are still fresh in his mind that he is not sure whether he could erase them or not. Mistakes are meant to be forgive and forget but Baekhyun seems like he cannot move on. 

Chanyeol's cruel words are still lingering in his head. He knows that they are the ego and pride talking but Baekhyun had given the taller a chance to prove that they had once make the taller happy. Chanyeol just gave away the chance and not giving a care towards Baekhyun's heart. 

By then, Baekhyun had understand that there is no way Chanyeol would open his heart for a low life like the nerds. It is such a nonsense that he feels like they are in one of the drama that aired on television for others entertainment. 

Without knowing, Baekhyun fell asleep while staring at Chanyeol's face. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

변백현 ♡ 박찬열

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once in the late night, Baekhyun could feel a lingering touch on his face and hear a few sniffs and sobs.

"I am so sorry, Baek..."

Unaware that was reality, he just thought that Chanyeol in his dream smiling widely while apologizing profusely to him and they finally got their happy ending. 

It was just a dream.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

P.S: Baekhyun's appearance is still the nerd, with glasses and beanie all the time. It's totally opposite from the family meetings moment.